Prediction on weekly receipt update times

Thanks for letting us know.

If my arithmetic is correct that's around 18 months, even then there's the time between notice and interview and interview and oath ceremony. Add that to waiting time for receipt and it'll be around 2 years start to finish....and that depends on which district office we are allocated. Could be longer I suppose.

Does anybody think things will improve anytime soon?

I am afraid things will not improve unless there are more demonstrations to put pressure. This administration is lame duck now for about a year and the next one will have to have some time to settle in... the message is put more pressure if you want something to move faster.

The real numbers for N-400 filed in July are:

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/N-400 NATURALIZATION BENEFITS_July07.pdf

WAY BELOW THE 800,000-900.000 THE CUSTOMER REP. WAS SAYING.
Was she making guesses?

Those numbers in the USCIS chart are for receipted N400 applications and not actual received applications. USCIS previously said that about 500000
N400 applications were received in the July- August timeframe, about 3 times the average amount. Perhaps the rep was refering to total applications (I-485, N400) received during the same period.

I am afraid things will not improve unless there are more demonstrations to put pressure. This administration is lame duck now for about a year and the next one will have to have some time to settle in... the message is put more pressure if you want something to move faster.

Yes, I agree. I'm waiting for receipting, I'll feel more confident about compaining once I have evidence that my N400 is "in the system".

Those numbers in the USCIS chart are for receipted N400 applications and not actual received applications. USCIS previously said that about 500000
N400 applications were received in the July- August timeframe, about 3 times the average amount. Perhaps the rep was refering to total applications (I-485, N400) received during the same period.

THE 800,000 THEN 900,000 numbers SHE GAVE ME WERE for n-400 apllications. Don't try to confuse.
Don't try to assume.
The customer rep said 800,000. then 9000,000 N-400 applications NOT TOTAL APPLICATIONS THAT INCLUDED I-485 AND N-400.
I talked to her and everything She told was INCORRECT.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you look at the bottom of the USCIS link, below the graph it says

"The number of pending N-400 cases reached 877,039 in July 2007, an increase of 80 percent compared to the same month in fiscal year 2006."

So the person on the phone may have taken the into from there.

THE 800,000 THEN 900,000 numbers SHE GAVE ME WERE for n-400 apllications. Don't try to confuse.
Don't try to assume.
The customer rep said 800,000. then 9000,000 N-400 applications NOT TOTAL APPLICATIONS THAT INCLUDED I-485 AND N-400.
I talked to her and everything She told was INCORRECT.

Sounds like what she meant and what you understood are two different things. Like inlineagain said, her figures make sense if she was referring to pending applications. No need for you to get ugly about it.

Seems like you were listening to us when we were talking.
She also said usually only 100,000 applications are filed during that time frame.
What do you make of that number?
How are you going to guesstimate that number on my link?
Where is it?
Seems like there is little need to talk to the cutsomer rep when the information is available.

Seems like you were listening to us when we were talking.
She also said usually only 100,000 applications are filed during that time frame.
What do you make of that number?
How are you going to guesstimate that number on my link?
Where is it?
Seems like there is little need to talk to the cutsomer rep when the information is available.

100000 average received N400 application is closer to the monthly average of received N400 applications that USCIS has indicated during the October 12 conference call. Make sure you understand the difference between received, receipted, and pending application as numbers are different for all three.

Last edited by a moderator:
I listened to the recording of the latest conference call with the USCIS Ombudsman, and he explicitly states that the N-400s will now get priority. However, one thing he said struck me as a bit odd. He stated that most applicants should get their receipts by the end of the month; however, some applicants may get theirs as late as mid-January 2008. What's that all about?

Let us be clear.
The customer rep. said usually 100,00 N-400 are recieved but now due to fee increase they have received 800,000-900,00 applications.
It is still not making sense.

I listened to the recording of the latest conference call with the USCIS Ombudsman, and he explicitly states that the N-400s will now get priority. However, one thing he said struck me as a bit odd. He stated that most applicants should get their receipts by the end of the month; however, some applicants may get theirs as late as mid-January 2008. What's that all about?

Maybe it depends on which Service Center is involved ? The slower ones (e.g. TSC) might drag things on into December, then there'll be a shut-down/slow-down over Christmas and New Year.......:rolleyes:

Also there's the problem with cheques expiring - if some applications have cheques with a short expiry date, they'll need re-placing, that'll add to delays.

Maybe it depends on which Service Center is involved ? The slower ones (e.g. TSC) might drag things on into December, then there'll be a shut-down/slow-down over Christmas and New Year.......:rolleyes:

Also there's the problem with cheques expiring - if some applications have cheques with a short expiry date, they'll need re-placing, that'll add to delays.

This is true. TSC is definitely a likely culprit when it comes to slowing down.

Do personal checks have an expiration date?

I believe he was referring specifically to N400 applications received in the July -August timeframe. I'm guessing that he meant some (very few) displaced applications could take up until mid January (worst case scenario) to receive their receipts as this is when USCIS previously stated that receipt dates will be current. Since the majority of the N400 applications were received between the last 2 weeks of July and first week of August, it follows that most n400 applications received during the July-August will have been receipted by end of November (15 week timeframe).

I believe he was referring specifically to N400 applications received in the July -August timeframe. I'm guessing that he meant some (very few) displaced applications could take up until mid January (worst case scenario) to receive their receipts as this is when USCIS previously stated that receipt dates will be current. Since the majority of the N400 applications were received between the last 2 weeks of July and first week of August, it follows that most n400 applications received during the July-August will have been receipted by end of November (15 week timeframe).

Ah ok. I seriously hope that my application doesn't fall into the mid-January timeframe. I sent it on the Friday before Labor Day, so my guess is that it got to VSC by the Tuesday after (9/4). If it takes the full 15 weeks for it to be receipted, then the receipting date would fall somewhere in the 2nd-3rd week of December. Taking into consideration the holidays, I wouldn't be surprised if I got a receipt in January :mad:

My check was cashed yesterday at NSC. So i guess the backlog started clearing.

N-400 application sent : 08/27/07
N-400 recieved : 08/28/07
Check Cashed : 11/06/07

Perhaps, as the USCIS Ombudsman stated in the latest teleconference, the N-400s really WILL get priority treatment, now that the I-485 mess has been cleared. Maybe it really IS a ploy to get more voters for the 2008 election?

My check was cashed yesterday at NSC. So i guess the backlog started clearing.

At best we can say that the front log is clearing, the backlog who knows at this point?

What I have learned reading some posts in this forum, the processing of N-400 have just started after the over flow of I-485. USCIS was required by Law to process some of the forms associated with I-485 and had to give them priority over N-400. After careful review of last one month's processing times, my speculation is that they have finished processing I-485 related forms and now will catch up on the N-400. Still I believe that the back log is bound to happen since the applicants doubled in the month of July because of fee increase in august unless the average filing of N-400 per month drops because of the fee hike