Prediction on weekly receipt update times

My check was also cashed on 11/05/2007
So CSC is now cashing checks from applications that were received in November. Well, that's great but why does the USCIS website still show them as processing N-400s received in early August (I beileve that as 11/2/07 they were processing applications received by 8/13)?? I know that check cashing runs a few weeks ahead of receipt issuance, but we are talking a two month difference here. And what about people at CSC who applied later in August and September? Has anybody who applid then had their check cashed?

So CSC is now cashing checks from applications that were received in November. Well, that's great but why does the USCIS website still show them as processing N-400s received in early August (I beileve that as 11/2/07 they were processing applications received by 8/13)?? I know that check cashing runs a few weeks ahead of receipt issuance, but we are talking a two month difference here. And what about people at CSC who applied later in August and September? Has anybody who applid then had their check cashed?

I applied the last day of August, check still hasn't been cashed. Seems to me like only CSC and NSC are moving.

OK, I answered my own question. When I saw reports of people who had submitted their applications in October having their checks cashed, I went home and checked on the status of my check. Here are the details:

N-400 mailed to CSC: 8-20-07
N-400 received: 8-21-07
Check cashed: 10-29-07
Receipt date: waiting

Looks like CSC is now focusing primarily on receipting the N-400 backlog they received in the summer. Also looks like they are moving fast, which is a good sign. Hopefully, the receipts are not too far behind once the checks have been cashed.

If anybody who applied at CSC and recently got their checks cashed has received a receipt, could you please post your particulars here so that we can continue to track.

For those of you at other service centers, I think this is good news for you as well. What it means is that as soon as the service centers re-allocate their resources to N-400 receipting, the frontlogs should start to clear. As for the impending backlogs with other parts of application processing, I think that all of us that applied in July and onwards are in for a good long wait. Santa Ana used to be tracking at about 5-6 months total processing time, but I expect that number to go up. The only good thing to come from all this is that the district offices have had some time to get ready for this impending tidal wave of interview candidates. While planning is not USCIS' strong suit, it is my understanding that contract workers at some of the district offices have been asked to stay on to help deal with the flood of applicants (read this some time ago in the LA Times.)

Good luck to everyone and please keep posting on your progress. Just as we on this forum all got through the GC process together so too will we get through the citizenship process by helping each other out.

OK, I answered my own question. When I saw reports of people who had submitted their applications in October having their checks cashed, I went home and checked on the status of my check. Here are the details:

N-400 mailed to CSC: 8-20-07
N-400 received: 8-21-07
Check cashed: 10-29-07
Receipt date: waiting

Looks like CSC is now focusing primarily on receipting the N-400 backlog they received in the summer. Also looks like they are moving fast, which is a good sign. Hopefully, the receipts are not too far behind once the checks have been cashed.

If anybody who applied at CSC and recently got their checks cashed has received a receipt, could you please post your particulars here so that we can continue to track.

For those of you at other service centers, I think this is good news for you as well. What it means is that as soon as the service centers re-allocate their resources to N-400 receipting, the frontlogs should start to clear. As for the impending backlogs with other parts of application processing, I think that all of us that applied in July and onwards are in for a good long wait. Santa Ana used to be tracking at about 5-6 months total processing time, but I expect that number to go up. The only good thing to come from all this is that the district offices have had some time to get ready for this impending tidal wave of interview candidates. While planning is not USCIS' strong suit, it is my understanding that contract workers at some of the district offices have been asked to stay on to help deal with the flood of applicants (read this some time ago in the LA Times.)

Good luck to everyone and please keep posting on your progress. Just as we on this forum all got through the GC process together so too will we get through the citizenship process by helping each other out.

Indeed, good luck to all of us waiting on N400 or AOS queues. I am actually wondering if there are two queues or only one. I know that many AOS applicants, especially in EB category, will not have interviews which means that the IOs will not spend the time to deal with that. However, I would like to know what are your thoughts and predictions on how processing times on AOS will be affected by the massive volume of upcoming N400 processing and interviews as there are other resources that need to spend time on each case at different stages (i.e. NC, review, etc).

Why are some of you guys who have I-485 pending posting on CITIZENSHIP forum?
There is a separate forum for I-485 filers. Are you aware of that?

Indeed, good luck to all of us waiting on N400 or AOS queues. I am actually wondering if there are two queues or only one. I know that many AOS applicants, especially in EB category, will not have interviews which means that the IOs will not spend the time to deal with that. However, I would like to know what are your thoughts and predictions on how processing times on AOS will be affected by the massive volume of upcoming N400 processing and interviews as there are other resources that need to spend time on each case at different stages (i.e. NC, review, etc).
Great question, and unfortunately all we can do is speculate. I am not that familiar with the process for AOS, so it would be difficult for me to say for sure where the intersecting points / resource bottlenecks are. Certainly there is one at the front end - receipting and check cashing, and let us hope that that is the primary one. However, I also see the potential for bottlenecks when it comes to fingerprinting and name / background check. Not sure how all this will play out - until we see some more movement of people who applied in July into the interview process, it will be difficult to predict. My DO was processing N-400s in 5-6 months before the rush, and I am anticipating that at least an additional 3-4 months will be added on to the total cycle time. Given that it took CSC 10 weeks to cash my check (when normally it takes 1-2) even this might be optimistic...

Well, another Friday and still no cashed check. Next week will mark 15 weeks since my PD.
I predict TSC will move up a few days to 7/25, whereas VSC will move to about 7/31. I predict a bigger change with NSC and CSC as there have been reports of cashed checks in September -October applicants for both centers. However, the posted USCIS receipting dates are based on the receipt notice having been sent to the applicant, not on if the check was cashed. So check cashing confirmation may be an inaccurate way to predict future posted receipt dates.

Well, another Friday and still no cashed check. Next week will mark 15 weeks since my PD.
I predict TSC will move up a few days to 7/25, whereas VSC will move to about 7/31. I predict a bigger change with NSC and CSC as there have been reports of cashed checks in September -October applicants for both centers. However, the posted USCIS receipting dates are based on the receipt notice having been sent to the applicant, not on if the check was cashed. So check cashing confirmation may be an inaccurate way to predict future posted receipt dates.

You were 100% right about TSC. VSC, however, hasn't moved a bit. What was that about 15 weeks? LOL

You were 100% right about TSC. VSC, however, hasn't moved a bit. What was that about 15 weeks? LOL

Actually I don't think USCIS posted the current receipt dates. The update page still says November 1st.
Yeah, 15 week time frame to receive receipt notice is starting to fly out the window. I sent the ombudsman's office a question about gap in receipt times between centers. Needless to say they haven't responded yet.

Update: they are posted now..must have been a system glitch

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually I don't think USCIS posted the current receipt dates. The update page still says November 1st.
Yeah, 15 week time frame to receive receipt notice is starting to fly out the window. I sent the ombudsman's office a question about gap in receipt times between centers. Needless to say they haven't responded yet.

Update: they are posted now..must have been a system glitch
Looking at the latest processing times, as of Nov. 9th, even the CSC has not moved that much. They are only receipting applications received on or before August 9th, which is only a 3-4 day change from last week. Given that they are now cashing checks from applications received in October, I would have expected them to be much further along with issuing receipt notices...unless of course they have completely decoupled their receipt notices from check cashing. I thought that check cashing ran like a week or two ahead of receipt notification, not a month or two! Unless they are just not being truthful and are actually further along than they claim. The whole thing is just strange.

Any predictions to cheer us?

Do you think TSC will move on just 2 days again, to 27th July this week, that 'd take them to the Friday. Next week they'll have time off for Thanksgiving I suppose, so perhaps little or no progress then.

Tedious, ain't it!!?

I don't care about timeline from the website which I think goes for another 10 days but CSC customer from Oct. will get some reciept next week. That is it. I am a kind person.

Seeing that CSC, NSC and VSC are all cashing checks after 9/1/07 receipt date, I expect them to move up a few days in today's update. However, I don't expect the same for TSC since they have become notoriously slow.

Seeing that CSC, NSC and VSC are all cashing checks after 9/1/07 receipt date, I expect them to move up a few days in today's update. However, I don't expect the same for TSC since they have become notoriously slow.

My check was finally cashed yesterday (posted to my checking account this morning), and I'm assuming that my receipt date at VSC was 9/4/07. I wonder what's going on at TSC that makes them unable to cash the check within the 15 week timeline, let alone issue the receipt.

My check was finally cashed yesterday (posted to my checking account this morning), and I'm assuming that my receipt date at VSC was 9/4/07. I wonder what's going on at TSC that makes them unable to cash the check within the 15 week timeline, let alone issue the receipt.

Let me know when you find out Vorpal. I would like to know also ;). Not only that, I would also like to know the order USCIS will process these cases since right check cashing is happening haphazardly throughout all service centers it seems.

Let me know when you find out Vorpal. I would like to know also ;). Not only that, I would also like to know the order USCIS will process these cases since right check cashing is happening haphazardly throughout all service centers it seems.

Here's another interesting piece of info, something that already Nimche mentioned in the "N-400s filed after 7/31/07" thread. I plugged in random receipt numbers into the tracker on the USCIS site. I was able to get the standard "On xx/xx/xx, we received your application..." response for receipt numbers considerably lower than mine. The highest receipt number, which was about 15,000 or so earlier than mine, had the following information: "On September 17, 2007, we received...". Considering the fact that I sent my application in on 8/31/07 via Priority Mail (which takes 2 days to deliver), I'm positive that they received my N-400 on 9/04/07. The only way I can even attempt to explain the discrepancy in actual receipt dates and receipt numbers is that the service centers have received such large numbers of applications, that it took weeks just to stamp them "RECEIVED". Either that, or the typical lack of competence from a government agency.

Here's another interesting piece of info, something that already Nimche mentioned in the "N-400s filed after 7/31/07" thread. I plugged in random receipt numbers into the tracker on the USCIS site. I was able to get the standard "On xx/xx/xx, we received your application..." response for receipt numbers considerably lower than mine. The highest receipt number, which was about 15,000 or so earlier than mine, had the following information: "On September 17, 2007, we received...". Considering the fact that I sent my application in on 8/31/07 via Priority Mail (which takes 2 days to deliver), I'm positive that they received my N-400 on 9/04/07. The only way I can even attempt to explain the discrepancy in actual receipt dates and receipt numbers is that the service centers have received such large numbers of applications, that it took weeks just to stamp them "RECEIVED". Either that, or the typical lack of competence from a government agency.

USCIS has said in the past that the priority date is based on the date they receive your application. My suspicion is that each service center has an alloted block of receipt numbers, so they may not necessarily follow in order by date between service centers. Also, you can dispute USCIS's priority date for your file if you have evidence (such as certified tracking) that they have received it earlier.