New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

N400 (based on lawful permanent residency of 3 years)
New York, NY
01/22/10 (Day 001): Mailed N-400
01/25/10 (Day 004): Received (by USCIS)
01/29/10 (Day 008): Check Cashed, NOA
01/30/10 (Day 009): NOA in mail
02/01/10 (Day 011): RFE
02/02/10 (Day 012): FP ND
02/05/10 (Day 015): FP in mail
02/17/10 (Day 027): FP
02/17/10 (Day 027): Request to resend RFE (originally mailed on 02/01/2010 but never received on our end)

about the RFE, it is not the first time we don't receive one of their letters and it's really frustrating. We had to wait two weeks to ask them to resend it. hopefully, we will get it this time! although we would like to know exactly what's in the RFE letter so that we can take action now. is anyone in the same situation?

N400 (based on lawful permanent residency of 3 years)
New York, NY
01/22/10 (Day 001): Mailed N-400
01/25/10 (Day 004): Received (by USCIS)
01/29/10 (Day 008): Check Cashed, NOA
01/30/10 (Day 009): NOA in mail
02/01/10 (Day 011): RFE
02/02/10 (Day 012): FP ND
02/05/10 (Day 015): FP in mail
02/17/10 (Day 027): FP
02/17/10 (Day 027): Request to resend RFE (originally mailed on 02/01/2010 but never received on our end)

about the RFE, it is not the first time we don't receive one of their letters and it's really frustrating. We had to wait two weeks to ask them to resend it. hopefully, we will get it this time! although we would like to know exactly what's in the RFE letter so that we can take action now. is anyone in the same situation?

In your case, the RFE is the FP notice. On their website, the USCIS has been using the RFE designation for the FP notices.

Interview Today at 26 Federal Plaza
I had a pleasant interview experience today. It seems that I was a rather easy case (16 years of Green Card, nothing unusual). Here some points of interest:
-My interview was scheduled for 11:10am, and luckily I showed up at 10:15 am since there were about 60 people on line outside (you need to use the line on the right), and then about 90 people on line inside. So come within the hour, but don't come earlier. I saw people that had to go back to the end of the line, because they were to early. All the waiting and security took about 40 minutes.
-Up on the 7th Floor you hand in your appointment letter and you receive a note warning you about significant delays and that you may have to wait.
-However, only 25 minutes after my scheduled appointment, the interviewing officer brought me to another holding room where I had to wait another 10 minutes.
-The interview was fairly fast. The young interviewing officer immediately asked 6 citizenship questions which I passed. Everything else was formality. I think he liked me.
-I only had to show the green card and my passports (he didn't go through all my travels in detail). He saw my marriage certificate in my thick folder (I came prepared), and asked if he could have a copy. He said it's not really relevant in my case, but it supports the file (I don't think he would have asked for it, if he would not have seen it).
-The interview lasted about 20 minutes. The officer asked me to wait about 30 minutes for the oath letter, and suggested that I go the cafeteria on the 6th floor. I did, and made some phone calls.
-Surprisingly, I received the oath for 2/26/10, which is very convenient.
-I left the building almost 3 hours after I first went in line.
-The whole process from mailing to oath is taking exactly 4 MONTHS.

Good luck to every one else, Daaisy
PS.: Some people (one pregnant lady) got their oath taken right there. Others seemed to be waiting for 4 hours. Very strange.

Last edited by a moderator:
Short Story

Today, I had my successful interview at 26 Federal Plaza.

Long Story

My interview was at 9:55 AM @ 26 Federal Plaza. Since it says do not plan on being than more than 30 minutes early, I left home only around 9 AM. I wore a not the nicest but the luckiest suit and took the A train from Port Authority, close to where I live, got down at Chambers. Know the area fairly well, so headed straight to 26 Federal Plaza. Reached the Federal Plaza entrance, asked a security guard whether this was the entrance to USCIS, he politely pointed me to the Broadway entrance. On the Broadway entrance, there was a line and it was a 100 miles long. Got in the line at 9:30 AM. The line moved slowly but surely. Once at the security checkpoint, they asked me to remove my shoes, my blazer, my cell phone, my wallet, my nuts (just kidding :)) and keys for an airport style security. Once past the checkpoint, I headed to 7th floor room 700. It was 10:30, I was 30 minutes late! Before entering the I was asked to turn off the cell phone before security which I promptly did and was asked to proceed to Window 52 with my appointment letter. Greeted the lady Good morning at Window 52, she wished back and asked me to take a seat in the hall and told me that my name would be called. They didn't seem to care much about the fact that I was late.

About 20 minutes would have passed before my name was called asking me to proceed to Door 1. Not bad, I was expecting a much longer wait. A man in the mid 30's, sharp looking, well dressed with an all American accent, greeted me and walked me to his room. Once in the room, he asked me to raise his hand and take an oath and asked me to be seated. He asked me to verify some vital stats about me which I did. He asked me to say Yes or No to some questions. He went over the application. Asked me for my marriage certificates, which I handed over a copy. He asked if I made a copy for him, I told him I have the original, and he can keep it was I had more copies. He took a copy and returned the original to me. Asked me I had any issues with the law. I told him I have had 2 traffic tickets. He asked what kind of tickets, I told him speeding. He didn't seem to care although I had mentioned not cited, not detailed, not arrested, etc on the application. Once past this point, I knew this was a done deal. He asked me if I was ready to take the oath and pledge allegiance to the US, I said Yes. He asked me if I was ready for the test, i said yes. Six questions below:

1) What the freedom of religion - Freedom to practice any religion or not practice a religion
2) When was the constitution written - 1787
3) Name any one state that broders Canada - New York
4) How many senators are there - 100
5) What ocean is in the East coast - Atlantic
6) Don't remember

He asked me to read a sentence - What do we pay the government?

He asked me to write "We pay taxes" in a piece of paper.

He told me that I had passed the test and that he is going to recommend me for approval and that if his supervisor agrees with him, they will be giving me a letter for an Oath cermony. Another lady also stopped at the same time at his office and offered her congratulations as well. He asked me if I had any questions for him. I told him, I said no. He shook hands with me and walked me to another room and asked me to wait for my Oath letter. I was done by 11 AM.

Then came the long 3 hour wait for the Oath letter. My Oath is next Friday 2/26 8:30 AM at the same building 3rd floor. Surprised, I was told this would be about a month away.

It was a very easy and pleasant experience (except for the 3 hour wait for the oath letter).

Good luck to all, please let me know if anyone has any questions.

I was the pregnant lady given oath in the office too. I was the Indian dude in a blue suit. Where were you seated in the waiting room?

Congratulations on your successful interview.

Interview Today at 26 Federal Plaza
I had a pleasant interview experience today. It seems that I was a rather easy case (16 years of Green Card, nothing unusual). Here some points of interest:
-My interview was scheduled for 11:10am, and luckily I showed up at 10:15 am since there were about 60 people on line outside (you need to use the line on the right), and then about 90 people on line inside. So come within the hour, but don't come earlier. I saw people that had to go back to the end of the line, because they were to early. All the waiting and security took about 40 minutes.
-Up on the 7th Floor you hand in your appointment letter and you receive a note warning you about significant delays and that you may have to wait.
-However, only 25 minutes after my scheduled appointment, the interviewing officer brought me to another holding room where I had to wait another 10 minutes.
-The interview was fairly fast. The young interviewing officer immediately asked 6 citizenship questions which I passed. Everything else was formality. I think he liked me.
-I only had to show the green card and my passports (he didn't go through all my travels in detail). He saw my marriage certificate in my thick folder (I came prepared), and asked if he could have a copy. He said it's not really relevant in my case, but it supports the file (I don't think he would have asked for it, if he would not have seen it).
-The interview lasted about 20 minutes. The officer asked me to wait about 30 minutes for the oath letter, and suggested that I go the cafeteria on the 6th floor. I did, and made some phone calls.
-Surprisingly, I received the oath for 2/26/10, which is very convenient.
-I left the building almost 3 hours after I first went in line.
-The whole process from mailing to oath is taking exactly 4 MONTHS.

Good luck to every one else, Daaisy
PS.: Some people (one pregnant lady) got their oath taken right there. Others seemed to be waiting for 4 hours. Very strange.

Yikes, the line below should be

"I saw" and not "I was".

Blunder of proportions.

I was the pregnant lady given oath in the office too. I was the Indian dude in a blue suit. Where were you seated in the waiting room?

Congratulations on your successful interview.

Hi Baasha,
I sat near the door to the offices across from the very pregnant lady. I was dressed in black, green blouse colar.
Congrats to you!
Daaisy

In your case, the RFE is the FP notice. On their website, the USCIS has been using the RFE designation for the FP notices.

i hope you are right but this is the message i see online:

Request for Evidence

On February 1, 2010, we mailed a notice requesting additional evidence or information in this case N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION. Please follow the instructions on the notice to submit the requested information. This case will be in suspense until we receive the evidence or the opportunity to submit it expires. Once we receive the requested evidence or information and make a decision on the case, you will be notified by mail. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

the FP notice was dated February 2, 2010. moreover, when i called them and explained that i already received the NOA for N400 and the FP, they didn't tell me they that the february 1 RFE was simply the FP notice. if it is they are really confusing and disorganized. i guess we will find out.

Hi Baasha,
I sat near the door to the offices across from the very pregnant lady. I was dressed in black, green blouse colar.
Congrats to you!
Daaisy

congrats Daaisy,

your time line is pretty fast, i was of the impression that the time frame from actual mailing of N400 to the Swearing in ceremony was nothing less than 5 months. give or take. Seeing it gives me a hope that even mine may be sooner than 5 months. I have my fingers crossed :).

In between, did u do the fingerprinting on the appointment date , or were u able to do it in advance as a walk in ?

i hope you are right but this is the message i see online:

Request for Evidence

On February 1, 2010, we mailed a notice requesting additional evidence or information in this case N400 APPLICATION FOR NATURALIZATION. Please follow the instructions on the notice to submit the requested information. This case will be in suspense until we receive the evidence or the opportunity to submit it expires. Once we receive the requested evidence or information and make a decision on the case, you will be notified by mail. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

the FP notice was dated February 2, 2010. moreover, when i called them and explained that i already received the NOA for N400 and the FP, they didn't tell me they that the february 1 RFE was simply the FP notice. if it is they are really confusing and disorganized. i guess we will find out.

Oh, the USCIS is not known for it's organizational behavior! The RFE is most definitely the FP notice. If they need additional information from you, the RFE will be issued after the interview.

congrats Daaisy,

your time line is pretty fast, i was of the impression that the time frame from actual mailing of N400 to the Swearing in ceremony was nothing less than 5 months. give or take. Seeing it gives me a hope that even mine may be sooner than 5 months. I have my fingers crossed :).

In between, did u do the fingerprinting on the appointment date , or were u able to do it in advance as a walk in ?

Hi,
I went to the Finger Printing on the day and time they told me in the letter. Also, the RFE notice was fingerprinting for me too.
Daaisy

svrft

RFE is usually the FP letter. If you see the date of FP letter and then see on what date they sent the RFE - both the dates will be same. Customer care persons are not fully aware that FP letter is in fact the RFE. On this forum, I have seen several inputs and some of them even talked to IOs and were told that RFE is the FP notice only and in one case the applicant was sent an email with apologies and confirming that it was FP only. If you read through this forum posts, you will find that posting.

NRI 107

This is interesting. I applied on Jan 13 and I have not had any activity since I received my NOA on Jan 23.

Does anyone know if someone can accompany me for the Oath ceremony @26 Federal Plaza? I would like to take my wife to the ceremony.

What does a certified copy of a document mean?

Hello All,

New here. Hope am posting to the right thread.

I have my interview scheduled for March 23 (details below). I have been asked to bring a certified copy of a court case dismissal notice (I received a summons for "Bike on Sidewalk" which, in NYC, I discovered was a criminal offense -- it was dismissed before arraignment). I have the original letter from the court stating that the case had been dismissed. How do I certify this letter. Do I need to get it certified ? As I understand it they do not mean notarized. Can I take a copy and the original with me?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

12/15/09- N400 Sent
12/21/09- Texas recevd; Priority Date
Early Jan 2010 -- FP notice received (I was out of town)
01/19/2010- FP appointment date
02/03/2010- FP Done (Walk in) as was away until 02/03
02/21/2010- Interview Letter received
03/23/2010 - Interview Date -- New York Federal Plaza Office

Just applying - 80 days before 5 year point

Hi All

Wondering about the timeline - I am a 5 yr LPR in 80 days so just about to send my N400 in.

Is the expected 4/5 month wait after the 80 days - so from my official 5 year point.

Or does the 4/5 month wait start from when I send it in?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Hi All

Wondering about the timeline - I am a 5 yr LPR in 80 days so just about to send my N400 in.

Is the expected 4/5 month wait after the 80 days - so from my official 5 year point.

Or does the 4/5 month wait start from when I send it in?

Thanks for your help and advice.
4/5 months from the time USCIS receives your application.

Just got a mail from USCIS that the Oath cermony scheduled for tomorrow at Federal Plaza has been rescheduled to 03/19.

Grrrr.

Successful interview at Federal Plaza!!

Hi everyone,

I had my interview yesterday at Federal Plaza, and it went really well!! I have been approved and recommended for citizenship! Here is how it all went:

My interview was at 1:25pm. I arrived at 12:20pm and the security guard at the entrance to the building told me I was too early, and that I should come back at 12:45. So I went across the street and had a cup of tea at the Dunkin Donuts while I waited. At 12:45 I went back, went through security (which took no time at all) and up to the 7th floor. I wasn't called until 2:05pm.

My IO was a very friendly, very kind man in his mid-30s. He led me to his office where he asked me to promise to tell the truth. After that, he wanted some clarification about the name change request I had made, and we joked about that a bit (I'm adding my husband's name to mine, so it's becoming a very long name). He joked about how long my signature was going to become, and his friendly demeanor made me feel comfortable and not nervous. Next he asked me for my IRS tax transcripts for the last 5 years--I had brought my full tax returns as well as the IRS transcript which the IRS will fax to you at no cost if you call them. Then he started to go through my N-400 application. He asked me a few questions about the different addresses on my application, asked about my current employment, how I had maintained continuous residence while I was studying abroad (which I did do), and if I had taken any more trips that needed to be included on the application (I had). He made some notes on the application, looked through my passport. He noticed that my birthday is coming up (on Monday) and said "Well maybe we'll have some good news today for your birthday present!"

He was not intimidating when asking questions, and it was all very straightforward. Next he went through the Good Conduct questions at the N-400 application. I have no run-ins with the law, not even a speeding ticket, so that was all very straightforward too. He did want a copy of my marriage license (even though I was not applying based on marriage), which he said would just be good to have in my file. I didn't have a copy, so he went to copy the original that I had brought with me (NOTE: ALWAYS BRING COPIES OF EVERYTHING!). He did not seem upset or annoyed that I didn't have a copy--he said it was no problem.

Then we went through the Civics and History test. He asked me the following 6 questions:
1. What people were brought to America as slaves? (African people)
2. Who makes federal laws? (Congress)
3. Who is the vice president? (Joe Biden)
4. Why did we fight the British? (because of high taxes)
5. What is the highest court? (Supreme Court)
6. How many amendments are there to the Constitution? (27)

Then we did the English test. He asked me to read the sentence "Who can vote?" and then to write the sentence "Citizens can vote."

As soon as we finished the test, he said to me "Well, guess what, good news for your birthday: you've been approved for citizenship, Congratulations."

He gave me all the different forms to sign and then gave me the sheet of paper to say that I had been approved and recommended for citizenship. He didn't give me the option of waiting for my oath letter--it was very bad weather and I think that's probably why. I asked how long it would take to get it, and he said a month to 6 weeks.

After that we shook hands and talked a bit about the many amethyst stones he had in his office (quite an impressive collection!) and he said congratulations again, and that was it! He walked me to the door and said good bye.

The whole thing took about 12 minutes!

I have some questions--will it really take that long to get the oath letter? How long have others had to wait for this?

Thanks!
Jo-Anne