New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

Ah, that's unfortunate. I hope things don't start slowing down again soon. I'm quite ready to be a regular citizen with a regularly priced passport of normal validity. Being an asylee with access only to RTDs and RPs costing almost $400 valid for only 1-2 years is getting tiring.

From the looks of things, I don't think the process will start slowing down any time soon. According to the recent statistics, not a lot of people are applying for naturalization these days. Most likely, this is due to the poor economic climate, as eligible immigrants aren't exactly too gung-ho to drop $675 right now. However, if the USCIS decides to hike the fees again, I'm sure there will be another backlog.

Yeah, i hope they don't raise the fees any time soon. The lat time was in 2007, right? If a hike occurs once every three years, we're due for one, but I don't know the length of the actual interval.

Hello Guys!
Yesterday I passed the test :)
It was scheduled on 8 am, but they've started earlier at 7-30. And by the 8 am - it was done.
The interview took no more then 10 (!) minutes! The officer was very nice Asian lady. My case was very easy, not complicated (nothing to ask about), so that's why it came through so fast. However, she went through each section of application very, very, carefully and asked me all the questions that are on the end section of application.
She asked me six questions from test brochure, then I've read the line she gave me, and wrote the answer on this question...
But then I've waited about 2,5 hours, to get my oath letter. The oath is scheduled on March 3rd.
So, this is my short story - about "How I've got my sleepless nights... gone" :)
Good Luck for those who's waiting !

Last edited by a moderator:
Successful Interview at NY Federal Plaza

We drove to Federal Plaza as I had to take one of my kid who goes to Chinese daycare and they were closed today for Chinese New Year. Nearest cheapest parking lot is Central Parking system at white st which cost about $20 for any six hours with there online coupon.

Reached 20mins early for my interview.. The Security lady outside building was kind enough to let us bypass the line due to infant which saved 10 mins of harsh cold outside.

Were called a hour later for interview with my wife. IO walked out and announced names of four people along with my wife. He directed me and others to back side and asked my wife to wait once I complete and took me in first.. he was very friendly and we talked for almost 40mins and only 2-4 mins related to questions and my application.

First thing he says how come you have such a big file. My visa renewal as well as 140 had RFE and my attorney made huge documentation for my category needed at that time for L1A. We had very interesting talks in fact I really enjoyed it. He was Chinese guy and we talked about my visits to China, Hongkong, Taiwan and my visit to latin america. We were so close that he recommended to Visit Chile and Argentina, guess what I brought the favorite movie THE MOTORCYCLE DAIRIES in our talks which turned out to be his liking too. We talked all irrelevant things for 40mins and my mind was thinking what is he trying to do. I also told him my wife is looking for a government, later he did speak to my wife about job and gave reference too.She was worried all that time outside and I never knew we spent 40 mins

He did not take newly printed forms as I moved. he said the forms have barcode label so I will change it manually.

Asked for
1) Tax returns
2) Kids Birth Certs
quick 6 questions and read and write..dont remember any questions

Atlast after our interview he gave two papers which has two checks
1) USCIS will send you written decision
2) A) Congratulations Your application has been recommended for approval.

I hope this means we 100% passed..I asked him about oath letter, he said he is really occupied and cannot be done that time and will mail us..

Some observations after my interview .... About how people has been attired :)
I don't know, and maybe it's just my personal opinion, But!!! ....What in the world, should be in heads of those applicants, who dressed in a "casual-wear" manner on their interview???
I mean, for me this day, was like a Very Important Page of my life, that's been turned! I'll remember the day of my interview - for ever! And it's good to remember, that even my close at this day has been very special...
.... but let me tell you guys, I've seen that some people didn't even bother to wear jacket and shirt ( LOL... suit and tie - is to expensive to buy for some :) :) :) ...)... and their message is: "I do not respect myself, and don't realize, what an Honor has been given to me by the Country I'm trying to become citizen of !!!"
It was sad to see :(

Some observations after my interview .... About how people has been attired :)
I don't know, and maybe it's just my personal opinion, But!!! ....What in the world, should be in heads of those applicants, who dressed in a "casual-wear" manner on their interview???
I mean, for me this day, was like a Very Important Page of my life, that's been turned! I'll remember the day of my interview - for ever! And it's good to remember, that even my close at this day has been very special...
.... but let me tell you guys, I've seen that some people didn't even bother to wear jacket and shirt ( LOL... suit and tie - is to expensive to buy for some :) :) :) ...)... and their message is: "I do not respect myself, and don't realize, what an Honor has been given to me by the Country I'm trying to become citizen of !!!"
It was sad to see :(

well dressing is a personal preference, its true that it displays ur personality, as long as ur not dressed in rags and as a bum its fine, if the person cant afford to, thats really sad, you cant judge a book by the cover.
a word for u my man, if ur a foreigner, u would always be a foreigner! the laws may allow u to get a citizenship, a naturalization certificate and a passport, but at heart and to the rest of the world if u look different, lets say indian or arab, u will be treated the same way. I have noticed at an airport in an arab country when we were there on transit for a particular flight, the arilines personal came and asked if there were US citizens who liked to go for a sight seeing trip around the city to raise their hands, Myself being a USC didnt even bother, i saw alot of indians who raised their hands, as they had american passport, and the airlines personal just asked the whites to go with her..... i didnt stand up, and i was looking at the faces of the people who didnt get to go.

about the privillage being given, why didnt u get down on ur knees and start licking the IO's nuts???? as a grattitude.

there is always a calling from your roots, from home. there is no place like home. and if u can make believe this is ur home. good for u!

Well, I realize that many people feel that it's necessary to dress well for certain occasions, but personally I HATE dress codes, especially since you are judged based on what you wear. If I could, I would go to my interview (and work) wearing whatever made me most comfortable, but since how you dress influences what others think of you, and what they will do for you, I often comply. When it comes time for my interview, for example, I will be wearing a suit because I have a complicated case, and I'd like the IO to take me seriously, and assume that I am very respectful of his or her authority. However, if my case had been straightforward, I polo shirt and jeans would have been my choice of clothing.

check out this post , any comments ?

"

desibartender

I wore my expensive black Kenneth Cole pants with a nice Teal Calvin Klein shirt. I wore my Kenneth Cole leather shoes and polished them a day before.
I wore a black leather belt and my Seiko watch. I also chose to go with my expensive glasses instead of my contact lenses.

Also did a little bit of grooming (Nails, Facial hair etc) the day before and overused mouthwash before I left for interview.
My skin is very dry and this is winter so I apply cetaphil lotion all over my hands and face. Dry skin will instantly get noticed.
I usually stick to simple breakfasts like cereals on interview days instead of something that has egg or onion in it.

I also use a hint of perfume...just a little bit...one mild spray...Don't want to bother other people with my perfume but don't want my body odor to be too obvious either.

When I am interviewing people I really hate bad breadth and bad hygiene. Then I am totally distracted by that.

The whole point of being dressed up nicely in a interview is that you feel confident about yourself and when you are confident you don't make silly mistakes.

When I was called in for the interview my interviewing officer was very well dressed. He wore Khakis with a smart blue shirt and a very neat sweater.
I am a sucker for expensive watches and commented on his expensive watch which he seemed to appreciate.

Interviewing officers clearly understand that this is a formal process and they need to dress their best. I guess people who go for the interview clearly need to do the same.

Don't be the chump with jeans even if they cost $700.

"

????

"solid_traveling" , now I see that you're one of those "pants on the ground" wearer, aren't you?

I understand what ur getting at dude, i am a normal guy who likes to wear casuals, but i do have the common sense, so even though i wouldnt go for the interview or for the oath in shorts, i dont think there is any reason for considering it like a job interview with a formal attire. just wear something that doesnt raise eyebrows, i believe that all of us have the common sense to know what raises the brows. dress pants and dress shirt would be fine, u dont really need to get wear formals. as long is its not rags or shorts it should be fine. dress what u feel like dressing up in, and ur common sense should tell u what not to! end of story !

here is my status so far:

New York City, NY
01/22/10 (Day 001): Mailed N-400
01/25/10 (Day 004): Received (by USCIS)
01/29/10 (Day 008): Check Cashed, NOA
01/30/10 (Day 009): NOA in mail

svrfr, we applied for N400 around the same time in NYC, it would be interesting to see how the timeline pans out.

My Status:
New York City, NY
01/19/10 (Day 001): Mailed N-400 to Lewisville by priority mail
01/21/10 (Day 003): Received by USCIS
01/26/10 (Day 008): Check cleared
01/28/10 (Day 010): Received NOA dated 01/25/10 (Day 007)
02/05/10 (Day 018): Received FP notice dated 02/01/10 (Day 014)
02/16/10 (Day 029): FP done