New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

LUD: Case transferred to local office for interview!

I got a text message at 4am this morning saying that my case has been transferred to the local DO and that an interview will be scheduled! YAAAAY!!!!!

Now I just have to wait for the interview to be scheduled. About how long between LUD and the letter actually arriving in the mail?

Thanks!
Jo-Anne

Any day!! For me it took only 3 days.

Yesterday I received my passport, today-NC. Good luck to all of you in this long but sweet at the end, process.

I got a text message at 4am this morning saying that my case has been transferred to the local DO and that an interview will be scheduled! YAAAAY!!!!!

Now I just have to wait for the interview to be scheduled. About how long between LUD and the letter actually arriving in the mail?

Thanks!
Jo-Anne

Any day!! For me it took only 3 days.

Yesterday I received my passport, today-NC. Good luck to all of you in this long but sweet at the end, process.

Did you apply for regular or expedited processing for the passport?

Question about traveling after interview.

I got oath on ID its for Feb 12th but i have 7 day business trip to EU. I been only 594 days out of country will this jeopardize something I have no chice but to attend this meeting. My application was approve i saw Officer stamp approved in my application??
Advice please

Question about traveling after interview.

I got oath on ID its for Feb 12th but i have 7 day business trip to EU. I been only 594 days out of country will this jeopardize something I have no chice but to attend this meeting. My application was approve i saw Officer stamp approved in my application??
Advice please
A 7 day trip to EU after interview would not jeopardize your application.

Electronic status check

Today I had my Oath Ceremony, so it is done. Thank you all of you who answered my questions. My word to all who is still in the process: the electronic status check system, ehm... did not work to my expectation. Besides driving me up to a wall with so called request for evidence (G.d knows what kind of request and for evidence of what) it also still (!) gives my status as Testing and Interview (not a joke) I checked it today right AFTER the Oath just out of curiosity. It did give that status for past two weeks (two weeks after the interview as well). Thanks a lot, folks, for your info and support.
My timeline is:
I am living in Brooklyn.
12 Aug, 2009 N-400 sent
02 Sep., 2009 FP letter
11 Sep., 2009 Fingerprints taken
20 Dec., 2009 Interview letter
13 Jan.,2010 Interview, Garden City Oath letter given after the interview
27 Jan.,2010 Oath Ceremony.
Did not apply for a passport yet. I need to travel on Feb, 20 I wonder can I do express processing or shall I go to the passport office?

Hi guys, I've never posted in this thread because I just moved to the city, but I've been reading your experiences. Anyway, I hope to be involved in the discussions here a lot more now. I was eligible to apply for citizenship in January, but since I moved, I will be applying in mid-March.

I just noticed that people who, like me, live in Brooklyn have to go to Garden City for their interview. Really? Isn't that a bit far? I checked on the USCIS Office Locator, and my ZIP pulls up the Federal Plaza office. Is either one or the other old information? If I were to move to Manhattan, will I have to wait another three months before I apply? It's really weird.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just noticed that people who, like me, live in Brooklyn have to go to Garden City for their interview. Really? Isn't that a bit far? I checked on the USCIS Office Locator, and my ZIP pulls up the Federal Plaza office. Is either one or the other old information? If I were to move to Manhattan, will I have to wait another three months before I apply? It's really weird.

Federal Plaza and Garden City are the same district office, just 2 different locations. If you were to move to Manhattan, you wouldn't have to wait another 3 months, as you're still in the same district. Typically, Brooklyn, Queens, Staten Island and Long Island applicants get their interviews scheduled in Garden City. Manhattan, Bronx and Westchester applicants get scheduled at Federal Plaza.

As far as distance is concerned, it's a 40 minute drive from Brooklyn. If you don't have a car, you can take the LIRR from Atlantic Avenue to Hempstead.

Oh, thanks. There's a train. That's good. But, the process there is longer than in Federal Plaza? That's a bummer. I might have to use a Manhattan address, then.

Oh, thanks. There's a train. That's good. But, the process there is longer than in Federal Plaza? That's a bummer. I might have to use a Manhattan address, then.

From what I understand, the difference is only a couple of weeks. As far as the address goes, make sure you use the one that's on your driver license.

But, people often move and the actual driver licence isn't replaced, right? It'd be in the same district (Brooklyn as opposed to Manhattan). Does NY State require you to get an actual new card every time you move? I can always get a driver abstract from the DMV to show my new address, no?

But, people often move and the actual driver licence isn't replaced, right? It'd be in the same district (Brooklyn as opposed to Manhattan). Does NY State require you to get an actual new card every time you move? I can always get a driver abstract from the DMV to show my new address, no?

By law, you're supposed to notify the DMV of address change within 10 days of moving. However, it's up to you whether or not you want to get a new driver license with the new address. Chances are it won't happen, but the IO may notice the address discrepancy between what the USCIS has on file and what's displayed on your DL. Check this link for more info: http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/DMVfaqs.htm#CHANGE

I've also seen reports on this forum from Manhattan residents getting scheduled in Garden City. It's not a commonplace occurrence, but it does happen. In my opinion, the difference between Garden City and Federal Plaza processing times is not drastic enough to change your address. If for instance, it was 6 months for Fed Plaza and 12 months for Garden City, I'd say go for it. However, when the difference is only a couple of weeks, does it really matter?

Nope, a couple of weeks don't matter at all. I was just under the impression that it was a month or two faster at Federal Plaza based on some previous posts. But, I guess they were a bit older. You're right, I should just stick it out. I'm just very restless, that's all. Hehe. Yours took a year, though? How come?

Nope, a couple of weeks don't matter at all. I was just under the impression that it was a month or two faster at Federal Plaza based on some previous posts. But, I guess they were a bit older. You're right, I should just stick it out. I'm just very restless, that's all. Hehe. Yours took a year, though? How come?

I applied during summer 2007, right after the fee hike. A lot of people who were eligible to apply, but were procrastinating, decided to send in their applications to beat the hike. This created a huge backlog. It took 3 months just to get a receipt, and another 6 months to get an IL.

Ah, that's unfortunate. I hope things don't start slowing down again soon. I'm quite ready to be a regular citizen with a regularly priced passport of normal validity. Being an asylee with access only to RTDs and RPs costing almost $400 valid for only 1-2 years is getting tiring.

Hello everyone, it is almost 5 years and I just mailed my N-400 application. I will update my timeline when I get any response.

Good luck to you all.

Hello Everyone, as far as I see here there's not that many cases with 26 Federal Plaza going on here recently huh? I mean some say they were done 3 months and half..but I got nothing coming my way since my FP.. it's been a month..weird..

here is my status so far:

New York City, NY
01/22/10 (Day 001): Mailed N-400
01/25/10 (Day 004): Received (by USCIS)
01/29/10 (Day 008): Check Cashed, NOA
01/30/10 (Day 009): NOA in mail