New York City - N-400 Timeline - Naturalization Experiences

Certified copy means a sealed stamp on a photocopy of original document from the authority that issued the original document. In your case, you need to go to the court clerk where your criminal case got dismmised. Ask them to give you the certified copy of dismissal of your case. They will probably charge you some fees for this service. You should provide the case number and court-clerk will be able to pull the record up and could be able to issue you a certifed copy of it.

Good luck

Hello All,

New here. Hope am posting to the right thread.

I have my interview scheduled for March 23 (details below). I have been asked to bring a certified copy of a court case dismissal notice (I received a summons for "Bike on Sidewalk" which, in NYC, I discovered was a criminal offense -- it was dismissed before arraignment). I have the original letter from the court stating that the case had been dismissed. How do I certify this letter. Do I need to get it certified ? As I understand it they do not mean notarized. Can I take a copy and the original with me?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

12/15/09- N400 Sent
12/21/09- Texas recevd; Priority Date
Early Jan 2010 -- FP notice received (I was out of town)
01/19/2010- FP appointment date
02/03/2010- FP Done (Walk in) as was away until 02/03
02/21/2010- Interview Letter received
03/23/2010 - Interview Date -- New York Federal Plaza Office

Just got a mail from USCIS that the Oath cermony scheduled for tomorrow at Federal Plaza has been rescheduled to 03/19.

Grrrr.

Yeah, they called me too, to reschedule the Oath Ceremony because of the snow storm on Feb. 26th. My oath will be on 03/19 now as well.
Good Luck, Daaisy

Oh, the USCIS is not known for it's organizational behavior! The RFE is most definitely the FP notice. If they need additional information from you, the RFE will be issued after the interview.

just to confirm the feedback from the members of this forum, today i received the letter from USCIS stating that the notice they mailed out (and that was specified online as a RFE) was, in fact, my biometric appointment notice (fingerprints) which i already attended. they apologized for the mistake and also admitted that this was a service error. lastly, they said that i should receive an interview notice within 60 days of the date of their letter. thanks to everyone for the feedback and good luck.

Hi folks,
Just wanted to update my timeline

N-400 (Five years)
PD: November 27, 2009
Fingerprint completed : December 27, 2009
Case updated transfer to local office: March 3, 2010

Good luck to all

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi folks,
Just wanted to update my timeline

N-400 (Five years)

Good luck to all

Hi WMC

My time line is very close to yours. My PD is Dec 3 and FP done on Dec 24 at NY. I was trying to request for change of interview venue at DC/VA because of my status as FULL TIME STUDENT in DC and local DC Office did write to NBC. Today through an INFOPASS at VA office, I was told that my interview has been scheduled at Fed Plazza, NY for 5th April although online status still continues with RFE.

I think you will get IL very soon. I feel they change LUD only after the IL has been issued.

Pl update when you get the IL and what office in NY they have allocated to you.

Thanks
NRI107

Short Story

Today, I had my successful interview at 26 Federal Plaza.

Long Story

My interview was at 9:55 AM @ 26 Federal Plaza. Since it says do not plan on being than more than 30 minutes early, I left home only around 9 AM. I wore a not the nicest but the luckiest suit and took the A train from Port Authority, close to where I live, got down at Chambers. Know the area fairly well, so headed straight to 26 Federal Plaza. Reached the Federal Plaza entrance, asked a security guard whether this was the entrance to USCIS, he politely pointed me to the Broadway entrance. On the Broadway entrance, there was a line and it was a 100 miles long. Got in the line at 9:30 AM. The line moved slowly but surely. Once at the security checkpoint, they asked me to remove my shoes, my blazer, my cell phone, my wallet, my nuts (just kidding :)) and keys for an airport style security. Once past the checkpoint, I headed to 7th floor room 700. It was 10:30, I was 30 minutes late! Before entering the I was asked to turn off the cell phone before security which I promptly did and was asked to proceed to Window 52 with my appointment letter. Greeted the lady Good morning at Window 52, she wished back and asked me to take a seat in the hall and told me that my name would be called. They didn't seem to care much about the fact that I was late.

About 20 minutes would have passed before my name was called asking me to proceed to Door 1. Not bad, I was expecting a much longer wait. A man in the mid 30's, sharp looking, well dressed with an all American accent, greeted me and walked me to his room. Once in the room, he asked me to raise his hand and take an oath and asked me to be seated. He asked me to verify some vital stats about me which I did. He asked me to say Yes or No to some questions. He went over the application. Asked me for my marriage certificates, which I handed over a copy. He asked if I made a copy for him, I told him I have the original, and he can keep it was I had more copies. He took a copy and returned the original to me. Asked me I had any issues with the law. I told him I have had 2 traffic tickets. He asked what kind of tickets, I told him speeding. He didn't seem to care although I had mentioned not cited, not detailed, not arrested, etc on the application. Once past this point, I knew this was a done deal. He asked me if I was ready to take the oath and pledge allegiance to the US, I said Yes. He asked me if I was ready for the test, i said yes. Six questions below:

1) What the freedom of religion - Freedom to practice any religion or not practice a religion
2) When was the constitution written - 1787
3) Name any one state that broders Canada - New York
4) How many senators are there - 100
5) What ocean is in the East coast - Atlantic
6) Don't remember

He asked me to read a sentence - What do we pay the government?

He asked me to write "We pay taxes" in a piece of paper.

He told me that I had passed the test and that he is going to recommend me for approval and that if his supervisor agrees with him, they will be giving me a letter for an Oath cermony. Another lady also stopped at the same time at his office and offered her congratulations as well. He asked me if I had any questions for him. I told him, I said no. He shook hands with me and walked me to another room and asked me to wait for my Oath letter. I was done by 11 AM.

Then came the long 3 hour wait for the Oath letter. My Oath is next Friday 2/26 8:30 AM at the same building 3rd floor. Surprised, I was told this would be about a month away.

It was a very easy and pleasant experience (except for the 3 hour wait for the oath letter).

Good luck to all, please let me know if anyone has any questions.

Hi Baasha

Good to know that you got the oath letter the same day. I and my wife have been scheduled for interview on April 5 at Federal Plazza. Could you please help with your suggestions for a successful interview at Fed Pl. I have some issue of long absences to explain. On this they have pure discretion.

Thanks for your help

NRI 107

Hi Andrew01

No news yet. Still waiting for Interview Letter. LUD on March 3 was for transfer to local office. I will update here as soon as I get the letter.

Good luck. The waiting is the worst!

i received the interview appointment together with a document checklist and have some questions about the interview.

do i have to bring my wife to the interview?
we don't have her original birth certificate and so her original passport would be required? or can i bring photocopies of it?

thanks for the advice and good luck to all!

N400 (3yrs-marriage)
New York, NY
01/22/10 (001): Mailed N-400
01/25/10 (004): Received (by USCIS)
01/29/10 (008): Check Cashed, NOA
01/30/10 (009): NOA in mail
02/01/10 (011): RFE
02/02/10 (012): FP ND
02/05/10 (015): FP in mail
02/17/10 (027): FP
02/17/10 (027): Request to resend RFE (originally mailed on 02/01/2010 but never received on my end)
02/23/10 (033): Non-delivery of RFE notice
03/02/10 (040): Interview Letter
03/04/10 (042): Case moved to local office
04/09/10 (078): Interview with Immigration

hi Johnny,

Thanks for your reply. I just reread my yellow RFE sheet and it says to bring "original or certified copies." I have the originals. So hopefully I am fine...

Wish me luck! I'll let you all know how things go on March 23.
Certified copy means a sealed stamp on a photocopy of original document from the authority that issued the original document. In your case, you need to go to the court clerk where your criminal case got dismmised. Ask them to give you the certified copy of dismissal of your case. They will probably charge you some fees for this service. You should provide the case number and court-clerk will be able to pull the record up and could be able to issue you a certifed copy of it.

Good luck

So I passed today an interview. How long usually it will takes to get the oath letter?

Also what means marked "Not waiting for letter"? It is not a standard printed text but looks like xerox of a handwritten addition to the N-652.

my interview got cancelled due to unforeseen reason 3 business days before the interview date at federal plaza. anyone has similar situation these days?

Got the interview letter. I'm very excited!

N-400 (Five years)
Interview letter received: March 9, 2010
Interview scheduled: April 8, 2010 Garden City

Had my Oath Ceremony at Cadman Plaza this past tuesday. The ceremony as cool and moved along nicely.
Only downtime was a break we were given after signing the Certificate to go get breakfast etc. Got there at
8am and left 11am.

This is a great website. The check list is priceless. my interviewer thanked me for having copies of all the
documents on hand. I recommend the site to all who going thru immigration procedures.

Oath Ceremony Re-Scheduled to Friday March 26th - Need to leave country on Tuesday March 30th

What to do? My oath is now Friday March 26th at 8:30am, and I need to leave the country on Tuesday March 30th. Do you guys think I can book an appointment for a rush passport for that Friday or Monday? Is this a save bet? If you get an appointment, do you definitely get a passport handed to you at the end of the day?
Thanks, Daaisy