N-400 applied after July'07 and got Interview??

It's interesting that you are making a long list. I had a list of my own but unfortunately I realized that Infopass is so much a waste of time that it was not worth even scheduling one. I hope you have better experience but I found that the officers there have absolutley no clue what they are doing. The lady had herself admitted to me that she was not aware of the rules about scheduling process and that I should write to VSC to find out when I will be scheduled for interview.

PD 7/28
ND 10/27
IL ???????
DO NYC

Assuming that you did your InfoPass at 26 Federal Plaza, once you saw an IO in Room 3-120 (the room on the 3rd floor with about 20 windows), did they send you upstairs to the naturalization department on the 7th floor? Also, you've probably mentioned this before, but has your name check been cleared?

To geetha1, rest assured that I'll stick around after I complete the process, although I definitely won't be here on a daily basis!

Assuming that you did your InfoPass at 26 Federal Plaza, once you saw an IO in Room 3-120 (the room on the 3rd floor with about 20 windows), did they send you upstairs to the naturalization department on the 7th floor? Also, you've probably mentioned this before, but has your name check been cleared?

Yes, they sent me to 7th floor. Namcheck was cleared.

Looking at your PD suggests that I won't be seeing my IL in the "1-2 months" timeframe that they gave me. :(

You might, Vorpal. Keep in mind that the volume of applications went way down following the 7-31-07 fee increase cutoff date. The number of applications they received in August was really only about 10 - 15% of the numbers they received in the months prior to the fee increase. If they keep processing at the same rate, then once they get through July, it won't take long to get to your PD, assuming that your PD really makes any difference in the overall scheme of things (see ongoing discussion in another thread!) I would imagine that, all other things being equal, your ID would be about 2-3 weeks beyond that of an applicant with a late July PD.

At least, this is what I keep telling myself, with a PD of 8-21-07.

Looking at your PD suggests that I won't be seeing my IL in the "1-2 months" timeframe that they gave me. :(

Told you. I felt the same when they told me 2-3 months. I don't believe them. I think it will take months.

I'm still holding on to a glimmer of hope that their timeframe was correct. Keep in mind that it hasn't even been 3 weeks since my InfoPass. It's altogether possible that VikPal may receive his IL within the next week or two, which keeps the 1-2 month timeframe plausible. If it's indeed true, thrix should be receiving his IL around the same time as I receive mine. I think that the next processing times update is the most critical one, as most DOs are reporting July 20. If the next update shows processing dates in August, then we can assume that the hump has been cleared. If, however, the processing times move by a couple of days, then we're screwed! :eek:

I'm still holding on to a glimmer of hope that their timeframe was correct. Keep in mind that it hasn't even been 3 weeks since my InfoPass. It's altogether possible that VikPal may receive his IL within the next week or two, which keeps the 1-2 month timeframe plausible. If it's indeed true, thrix should be receiving his IL around the same time as I receive mine. I think that the next processing times update is the most critical one, as most DOs are reporting July 20. If the next update shows processing dates in August, then we can assume that the hump has been cleared. If, however, the processing times move by a couple of days, then we're screwed! :eek:

I have a feeling that the July 20 date they are reporting is actually the "NOTICE DATE" and not the priority date. I know during my GC processing I was told that they entered applications based on PD but once the application was entered it was processed based on Notice Date. I'm not sure how N-400 goes but I believe ND is more important for processing purpose.

I have a feeling that the July 20 date they are reporting is actually the "NOTICE DATE" and not the priority date. I know during my GC processing I was told that they entered applications based on PD but once the application was entered it was processed based on Notice Date. I'm not sure how N-400 goes but I believe ND is more important for processing purpose.

I'm fairly confident that the N-400 processing is based on the priority date. Otherwise, none of us will be citizens this year!

I think it may not work like that. The processing dates are supposedly based on targets rather than real PDs, which is why they've been advancing exactly 30 days up to now. The current date at NYC, July 20, is just supposed to mean that up to Feb 15, they've been able to keep up with a 7 month target. Between now and March 15 they are reaching the peak of the backlog, so presumably they won't keep up with that target. But we may not see the timeframe advance into August or even by a couple days. If they adjust their target processing time (for example, to their oft-cited "16-18 months") to account for the backlog, the updated processing times may simply say July 20 until they've cleared the July backlog.

I think it may not work like that. The processing dates are supposedly based on targets rather than real PDs, which is why they've been advancing exactly 30 days up to now. The current date at NYC, July 20, is just supposed to mean that up to Feb 15, they've been able to keep up with a 7 month target. Between now and March 15 they are reaching the peak of the backlog, so presumably they won't keep up with that target. But we may not see the timeframe advance into August or even by a couple days. If they adjust their target processing time (for example, to their oft-cited "16-18 months") to account for the backlog, the updated processing times may simply say July 20 until they've cleared the July backlog.

The only thing that makes me question this theory is the fact that certain DOs moved by a few days as of the last update. Boston and Washington D.C. are both good examples.

I hope these guys/gals stick around after they have gotten their citizenship. Bring on the excitement people.:)

Over the years... even before I signed on here, I've seen many people being glued to this forum days-in and days-out...almost every hour of the day...and most of them did say/promise to be stick around after obtaining their citizenship, but unfortunately, they ALL disappeared after a few weeks later of obtaining their citizenship. I mean, ALL, despite of making promise of sticking around. I'm telling you all this based upon my observation to this site for the last 4-5 yrs. I understand that their priority have changed and that they don't feel like wasting their time/energy on this kind of immigration forum after obtaining the citizenship, which is totally understandable.

The only person who has been around all these years is ME even though I never sought out any immigration benefit... :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The only thing that makes me question this theory is the fact that certain DOs moved by a few days as of the last update. Boston and Washington D.C. are both good examples.

My bad if that's the case. I hadn't looked at their processing times. They're both very slow offices--maybe what happens is the DO uses the target date as long as targets are being roughly met, and PDs when targets aren't being met. Of course, it's also possible that each DO has their own system for determining these dates.

We'll know in a few weeks, I guess.

I hope not. That would be a real nightmare.

I guess one thing working in our favor, if this is the case, is that the USCIS basically stopped (or severely curtailed) processing N-400s for several months around the end of July, and then seemed to pick up again in October, once other commitments were met. If the web site dates truly are Notice Dates, then we again should see rapid movement of the dates once they hit about the end of July. If memory serves, that is when "the big slowdown" occurred, and people who have a PD after about 7-25-07 received their NOAs several months after they applied.

It has always been that my opinion that the dates on the web site reflect the PD of applicants who are receiving ILs (plus or minus several weeks of course). However, some people here disagee and state that the dates reflect the actual ID (rather than the IL). Processing times vary so much, and we have such limited sample sizes here, that it is hard to say for sure.

I agree that the March updates will be extremely useful in this regard. I am hoping for a full month of increases at DOs that are currently processing with a date of 7-20-07, but again I realize that July (and probably the last 10 days of July) was a heavy period.

I hope not. That would be a real nightmare.

I guess one thing working in our favor, if this is the case, is that the USCIS basically stopped (or severely curtailed) processing N-400s for several months around the end of July, and then seemed to pick up again in October, once other commitments were met. If the web site dates truly are Notice Dates, then we again should see rapid movement of the dates once they hit about the end of July. If memory serves, that is when "the big slowdown" occurred, and people who have a PD after about 7-25-07 received their NOAs several months after they applied.

It has always been that my opinion that the dates on the web site reflect the PD of applicants who are receiving ILs (plus or minus several weeks of course). However, some people here disagee and state that the dates reflect the actual ID (rather than the IL). Processing times vary so much, and we have such limited sample sizes here, that it is hard to say for sure.

I agree that the March updates will be extremely useful in this regard. I am hoping for a full month of increases at DOs that are currently processing with a date of 7-20-07, but again I realize that July (and probably the last 10 days of July) was a heavy period.

I just remembered something that made me 100% sure that the processing dates are indeed PRIORITY dates. The USCIS allows an applicant to file a service inquiry if his/her IL doesn't arrive after 30 days of their PD being posted.

Have you guys seen this Citizenship cardS? They have started giving out Citizenship card which you can use when you come back to the US through land or water. Then you don't need to carry actual passport:D
I may get one before I miss my GC :D ( my wallet will be empty)

I just remembered something that made me 100% sure that the processing dates are indeed PRIORITY dates. The USCIS allows an applicant to file a service inquiry if his/her IL doesn't arrive after 30 days of their PD being posted.
OK, that's great news and it also makes a bit more sense given some of the IL dates we are seeing in the past week or so. It also reinforces my theory that "processing" means interview is scheduled, rather than conducted, as has been suggested. Again, it's just my opinion but it seems to make sense given the timing of ILs from the various DOs.

I echo Martin's sentiments - if you ever come to the west coast, the first round is on me.

Martin,
I see FRA, I used to work in FRA for an American Airline. Met my husband while he was stationed in Wiesbaden..and here I am 12 yrs later :) Have a great flight!