N-400 applied after July'07 and got Interview??

Just for Public information(I didn't know all these)

Freedom of Information and Privacy Act (FOIPA) vs. Name Check: Freedom of Information and Privacy Acts (FOIPA) requests are sometimes confused with name check requests. FOIPA provides copies of FBI files relevant to a specific FOIPA request. For FOIPA, the FBI search uses the name or information as provided in the FOIPA request. A FOIPA search determines whether there is an investigative file associated with an individual—a “main file” search. For a name check, “main files” and “reference files” are both checked, in addition to searching a name in a multitude of combinations.

Major Contributing Agencies: The FBI’s NNCP Section provides services to more than 70 federal, state, and local governments and entities. Although most name checks are conducted for each agency on a first-in, first-out basis, the contributing agency determines the order of resolution for priority, project, or expedite cases. The following are the major contributing agencies to the NNCP:

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services – Submits name check requests on individuals applying for the following benefits: asylum, adjustment of status to legal permanent resident, naturalization, and waivers.
Office of Personnel Management – Submits name checks requests in order to determine an individual’s suitability and eligibility in seeking employment with the federal government.
Department of State – Submits FBI name check requests on individuals applying for visas. Not all visa matters require FBI name checks.

Source: http://www.fbi.gov/hq/nationalnamecheck.htm

and more for people which like to read about FBI process:
FAQ: http://www.fbi.gov/page2/nationalnamecheck.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
About 90 percent of name checks, officials say, emerge with no matches within three months, after an automated search of databases. But the remaining 10 percent can take months or years, as 30 analysts and assistants must coordinate with 56 field offices and retrieve files stored in 265 locations nationwide.

As a result, the FBI has fallen further behind on the 1.5 million new names it receives each year from USCIS. Of about 329,000 cases pending as of May, 64 percent were stalled for more than 90 days, 32 percent for more than one year and 17 percent for more than two years.

"No one is happy with the status quo," said USCIS Deputy Director Jonathan "Jock" Scharfen. "We share the public's unhappiness with this, and we're committed to improving the process."

"We're trying to automate this as much as possible," said Michael Cannon, head of the FBI's National Name Check Program. He said the section's disruptive move from Washington to Frederick County, Va., also hindered work in 2006.

Cannon said the completion of a new Central Records System and progress toward a long-delayed, $600 million FBI computerized case-management system will help. "I can't give you a date certain when all this is going to come to fruition. My best guess is 2010," he said.
Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/16/AR2007061601360_pf.html

Does "No Record" from FOIPA Request Mean My Name Check is Cleared?
Unfortunately no. FOIPA (Freedom of Information and Privacy Act) requests only search the "main files," while FBI name check requests check both "main files" and "reference files" in the UNI. A "main" file name refers to an individual who is the subject of an FBI investigation, whereas a "reference" is simply a person whose name appears in an FBI file. In addition, FBI name check also uses different orders (first name, last name) and various combinations during the search.
Does Clearance from FBI Fingerprint Check Mean My Name Check is Cleared?
No. FBI fingerprint check is a completely different process from the FBI name check.

How Do I Check the Status of My Name Check?
FBI's NNCP no longer accepts phone inquires from individuals. Their email address, FBINNCP@ic.fbi.gov, is still open but it will be months before they reply to your message, if ever.

The best approach to check case status on FBI name check is through InfoPass with the USCIS. Additionally, asking your senators, congressmen, or even the first lady Mrs. Laura Bush, may also provide status information. Check our case status page for more information.

Source: http://immigrationroad.com/green-card/fbi-name-check-faq.php

Got our ILs yesterday...

Congratulations!!

Absolutely stunning timeline.

I can't tell if the huge difference in response times is between NSC and VSC or Columbus D.O and Boston D.O. Either way the large difference is really ridiculous.

What can be done about it? Any suggestions?

I can't tell if the huge difference in response times is between NSC and VSC or Columbus D.O and Boston D.O. Either way the large difference is really ridiculous.

What can be done about it? Any suggestions?

It is both actually. If you look through the board, you'll notice that VSC is currently working on June/July applicants in terms of setting up interviews. Now keep in mind, that this is for June/July applicants that have cleared name check and have a fast processing DO. For example, a lot of individuals in Newark, NJ have gotten interview letters last week. Unfortunately this is the only 'true' active VSC forum. I am waiting to see if the NYC forum gets flooded with "IL letter received" posts as well. (Both Newark and NYC have relatively fast DOs.) The applicants we have seen so far are in OH which has a fast DO and both examples we saw from NSC were from the same OH DO.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it. If your DO is slow, then they are slow and clearing the name check in 48 hours will not help you. Also, VSC is obviously not working as hard or fast as the other service centers and they are notorious for sticking to processing times. This is what I fear the most, where they will literally take the 16-18 months allotted and take their time.

Just my 2 cents.

I wish there were more people from San Diego. It is typically fast from what I have seen Max. 6 months to process but I have not seen anybody else from SD recently.
We all hope for good in this coming week.

It also depends on how many applications are within the jurisdiction of any given DO. For instance, I'm sure that it's safe to assume that there are significantly more applications under the jurisdiction of the NYC DO than under the jurisdiction of Columbus, OH DO.

Thank you all...I agree with Vorpal...the Columbus DO may not be overcrowded with applications like some of the busier ones like NYC...resulting in a faster turnaround.

All of your posts continue to be very helpful...please keep up the good work!!

It also depends on how many applications are within the jurisdiction of any given DO. For instance, I'm sure that it's safe to assume that there are significantly more applications under the jurisdiction of the NYC DO than under the jurisdiction of Columbus, OH DO.

And likewise under the Seattle DO, we guys have hardly seen any IL activity for quite a while now ...

I am not too familar with Seattle's resident contingency. Would you say that there are a lot of immigrants residing there?

I was writing my reply to TheBlueGod's post while you posted yours, and I have the same exact questions as you. As I've stated, if the name check was taking 10 months, then the 7 month processing timeframes would automatically be invalidated. Besides, there have been several users who have already received ILs after filing in late July '07, some as late as mid-August '07. That puts a dent in the 10 months - 3 years theory. Also, if your name generates no hits, the name check is usually completed within 72 hours. In theory, the name check SHOULD be completed at around the same time as the fingerprints.

Concerning the 2nd part of your post, my personal theory is that we should count the 7 months from the date the NOA was generated, which is usually a few days before you receive it in the mail. I assume that the generation of the NOA signifies the completion of the data entry for your application, and you are then placed in the processing queue. Also, keep in mind that the receipt of FP notices varies greatly from DO to DO, although they are issued by service centers. For instance, I received mine at the same time as my NOA. Many other members of this forum are still awaiting their FP notices, and some of them received their NOAs before I received mine. It's a crapshoot, really.
Thanks for the info...yeah, I was also thinking that 7 months from receipt of NOA was just too good to be true, and also unrealsitic at my DO given where I am in the process. I think that the clock starts ticking on or about the time you get the NOA.

As for name check, I read in subsequent posts (and attached articles) that 90% of them clear within 6 months. However, even this seems like a long time and it seems to me that a high percentage of them would clear within a few days. Nonetheless, this eases my fears that the 10 months to 3 years wait time is now "standard" - I do not believe it is, although for some people caught in the system this estimate is probably close to the truth.

Thanks for the info...yeah, I was also thinking that 7 months from receipt of NOA was just too good to be true, and also unrealsitic at my DO given where I am in the process. I think that the clock starts ticking on or about the time you get the NOA.

As for name check, I read in subsequent posts (and attached articles) that 90% of them clear within 6 months. However, even this seems like a long time and it seems to me that a high percentage of them would clear within a few days. Nonetheless, this eases my fears that the 10 months to 3 years wait time is now "standard" - I do not believe it is, although for some people caught in the system this estimate is probably close to the truth.

I think it's 10 months to 3 years if your name generates a hit. Unfortunately, more common names are more likely to generate a hit, which forces innocent people to be suspended in limbo. As of right now, I'm waiting until March to schedule an InfoPass to find out whether or not my name check has been cleared.

Yes, this is definitely true. As well, I have heard that DOs sometimes try to "level load" their case load in situations where an adjacent DO has more capacity. This has happened to several people here in California whose DO was Santa Ana but had their cases adjudicated in Los Angeles. Now most DOs are limited by geography in how far they can take this, but here in So. Cal. it seems to be fairly common and it may actually help eliminate discrepancies between DOs that are close together.

Yes, this is definitely true. As well, I have heard that DOs sometimes try to "level load" their case load in situations where an adjacent DO has more capacity. This has happened to several people here in California whose DO was Santa Ana but had their cases adjudicated in Los Angeles. Now most DOs are limited by geography in how far they can take this, but here in So. Cal. it seems to be fairly common and it may actually help eliminate discrepancies between DOs that are close together.

In NYC, we have something similar to that. The main DO is in Manhattan, but there's also a smalled subdivision in Garden City (about 20 miles away). The interviews are actually divided between the 2 centers, based on availability.

In NYC, we have something similar to that. The main DO is in Manhattan, but there's also a smalled subdivision in Garden City (about 20 miles away). The interviews are actually divided between the 2 centers, based on availability.

Vorpal,
You will get something really soon, My friend is there and he got his stuff really fast.

Vorpal,
You will get something really soon, My friend is there and he got his stuff really fast.

Oh yeah, provided I don't get stuck in name check, I hope to get my IL in the first half of this year. I read a few NYC posts from about a year ago, and people reported getting the entire process over with in 3-4 months. Prior to the July '07 mess, NYC was the fastest DO in the nation.

Vorpal,

What stuff are you talking about? my PD is 7/28 and no IL yet. I know 3 other folks from NYC with similar timeline but no IL. I think NYC is the most loaded DO right now so it might move very slow.