Los Angeles, CA - N-400 Timeline

Man, I can't wait for Nov 12th (interview date)! It's like Christmas --- the anticption is building and almost better than the actual event! I remember... that's what it felt like when I was waiting for the GC... Looking forward to holding it in your hand becomes a part of your daily life... in my case it took years.....

I got my passport last Friday (9/26), 11 days after applying. I didn't apply for a pass card, since I don't really need it. Should I be expecting to get my natz certificate back sometime this week?

Yeah, in my case my natz certificate arrived about one week after my passport. I expedited, but it looks like it really didn't save much, if any, time. However, it's no big deal - I just like to have the passport for peace of mind anyway.

As for the Pass card, it really is most useful if you live near a border, as I do. In my own case, I do travel to Mexico quite frequently so it will come in handy. I like the fact that I don't have to carry the passport book. As well, it's another piece of photo ID, which can be handy sometimes (since it fits in your wallet). For $20, it was a good deal.

Yeah, in my case my natz certificate arrived about one week after my passport. I expedited, but it looks like it really didn't save much, if any, time. However, it's no big deal - I just like to have the passport for peace of mind anyway.

As for the Pass card, it really is most useful if you live near a border, as I do. In my own case, I do travel to Mexico quite frequently so it will come in handy. I like the fact that I don't have to carry the passport book. As well, it's another piece of photo ID, which can be handy sometimes (since it fits in your wallet). For $20, it was a good deal.

I considered applying for an EDL, but the whole RFID chip idea put me off. Besides, I am not exactly near a border. If the government ever enacts the RealID law, I'll get one then. Right now, I don't really have a need for one.

As far as my certificate goes, I can't wait to get it back and close the book on immigration. I guess a few more days won't hurt me.

I considered applying for an EDL, but the whole RFID chip idea put me off.

You know, all new Passport Books as well as Passport Cards have RFID chips, right?

Very easy solution: DIY aluminum foil holder for both/each Passport Book and Passport Card. Oh yes, I'm dead serious, it is so cheap for bad people to create RFID detector and single out American and kidnapping in Mexico and around the world that it's not even funny anymore.

If you too lazy for DIY, here are some commercial solutions to RFID problem:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/910f/
http://www.difrwear.com/

Thank you. I'll consider my case to be officially closed as soon as my certificate is returned to me and I lock it up in my safe!

Make sure you get a few color copies in nearest Kinko. I made a couple dozen :D

Yes, I checked the law regarding that scary notice in red letters: "IT IS PUNISHABLE BY U. S. LAW TO COPY, PRINT OR PHOTOGRAPH THIS CERTIFICATE, WITHOUT LAWFUL AUTHORITY" - that refers to copy and then modify it - change name/picture/etc for the purpose of fraud. Holder of Natz Certificate (the one on the picture) can make as many colorful copies as his/her paranoia allows :cool:

You know, all new Passport Books as well as Passport Cards have RFID chips, right?

Very easy solution: DIY aluminum foil holder for both/each Passport Book and Passport Card. Oh yes, I'm dead serious, it is so cheap for bad people to create RFID detector and single out American and kidnapping in Mexico and around the world that it's not even funny anymore.

If you too lazy for DIY, here are some commercial solutions to RFID problem:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/910f/
http://www.difrwear.com/

Of course I know that! ;) In fact, it states right on the back cover of the passport booklet that there are "sensitive electronics" embedded into it. I didn't bother getting the pass card, since I don't really need it. An EDL serves the same exact purpose as the pass card, but I'm just not too crazy about the RFID chip.

Oh yeah, I made about 10 copies of my certificate.

Of course I know that! ;) In fact, it states right on the back cover of the passport booklet that there are "sensitive electronics" embedded into it. I didn't bother getting the pass card, since I don't really need it. An EDL serves the same exact purpose as the pass card, but I'm just not too crazy about the RFID chip.

Oh yeah, I made about 10 copies of my certificate.

Yeah, my passport (and I assume yours as well) has a little symbol on the front of it indicating that it is one of the new ones, with an embedded electronic microchip. Apparently, there will be special lanes opened up at border crossings for people with this symbol on their passports, and processing will be sped up. Believe that when I see it.

Yeah, I agree with Bobsmyth in that personal data is not embedded in the RFID chip - just a code that lets them find you in their database. That's fine with me, although by carrying the card I guess I am sending off an electronic signal that tells the world I am American. However, the reality is that the average person in most of the foreign countries I visit will assume that anyway just by looking at me...

Yeah, my passport (and I assume yours as well) has a little symbol on the front of it indicating that it is one of the new ones, with an embedded electronic microchip. Apparently, there will be special lanes opened up at border crossings for people with this symbol on their passports, and processing will be sped up. Believe that when I see it.

Yeah, I agree with Bobsmyth in that personal data is not embedded in the RFID chip - just a code that lets them find you in their database. That's fine with me, although by carrying the card I guess I am sending off an electronic signal that tells the world I am American. However, the reality is that the average person in most of the foreign countries I visit will assume that anyway just by looking at me...

Correct. There's a little symbol on the front cover, indicating that it's an e-passport. I compared mine with my wife's passport, which was issued back in 2001, and was surprised by how much fancier the new passport books are. All I have to do now is collect some stamps in it!

Similar to the passport/pass card, the NYS EDL has no personal data embedded in its RFID chip. It's just fodder for conspiracy theory buffs/Tom Clancy fans.

Congrats, Sirch320:D

?/?/?? Received Interview Notice
?/?/?? Interview Date
?/?/?? Receive Oath Letter
?/?/?? Oath Date

There's no personal information kept on the RFID, just an identification number that is useless to id thieves.

I wish that would be true, so I wont have to be so paranoid :cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biometric_passport#United_States
The U.S. version of the biometric passport (sometimes referred to as an electronic passport) has descriptive data and a digitized passport photo on its contactless chips, and does not have fingerprint information placed onto the contactless chip. However, the chip is large enough (64 kilobytes) for inclusion of biometric identifiers.

I wish that would be true, so I wont have to be so paranoid :cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biometric_passport#United_States
The U.S. version of the biometric passport (sometimes referred to as an electronic passport) has descriptive data and a digitized passport photo on its contactless chips, and does not have fingerprint information placed onto the contactless chip. However, the chip is large enough (64 kilobytes) for inclusion of biometric identifiers.

Again, I was referring specifically to RFIDs on EDLs, not passports.