Los Angeles, CA - N-400 Timeline

Received Passport today.
I guess CA-processing is very fast, considering I did only thru regular processing, NOT expedited.
Just waiting for my Voter registration card.

Don't Expect Voter Registration CArd

1485 Waiter

Don't wait up for a voter registration card. You will get your ballot and that's it. LA registers you and your driver's license is the way that they check on election day. Good luck to you!

AND CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Best,
-jedi

Thanks Jedi, I didn't know that you can use DL to Vote. I did register at the Oath Ceremony, though.

Also, forgot to mention, I am yet to get back the originals of Naturalization Certificate and the Name Change Petition from State Department. It feels surreal to hold that PP. More so than the Nat. Cert., in fact. I am itching to use it, just because I have it. :)

i have a question....

one of the requirements for the interview is to bring all passports... does it matter if i have an expired passport? i haven't renewed it since it expired last year.... will it affect my application?

i have a question....

one of the requirements for the interview is to bring all passports... does it matter if i have an expired passport? i haven't renewed it since it expired last year.... will it affect my application?

No it won't matter, the main purpose of bringing the passport is to verify trips out of the US, obviously if you passport is expired you have not travelled.

no response to this question yet....

last friday i went to IRS to get my last 5 years of transcripts.
I realized that my 2005 tax return was filed as single not " as married filing jointly" but last 2 years was ok.Do you guys think that will create problem

Thanks for the responds

_____

thanks McTavish for your answer to my question. :)

What if I don't bring any expired passports just my current passports. They have no way of knowing.... - right?

Thanks Jedi, I didn't know that you can use DL to Vote. I did register at the Oath Ceremony, though.

Also, forgot to mention, I am yet to get back the originals of Naturalization Certificate and the Name Change Petition from State Department. It feels surreal to hold that PP. More so than the Nat. Cert., in fact. I am itching to use it, just because I have it. :)
I felt the same way when I first got my passport and pass card. In fact, I wanted to drive down to Mexico just so that I could turn around and come back and enter the US as a citizne (if only to see what it feels like). Anyway, I haven't been anywhere yet, but I can't wait to head down to Mex for a weekend. Want to try to use my new pass card.

On another note, I went to the Social Security office last week on Friday. Waited for one hour before they called my number. I had the form filled out and signed already so it only took about 5 minutes when I was at the counter. They guy checked my passport, my ss card and then made a bunch of entries in the system. Then he printed something for me to sign (a document with my personal information on it, including the fact that I am a US citizen). After I signed, that was it. He said they will not issue me a new card since I have a perfectly good one already. So that's it - nothing too it. Just bring something to read while you wait.

I would recommend everybody update their status at the SS office once they are naturalized. The reason I say this is it sounds like the federal government will eventually move towards verifying a worker's right to work in the US every time a person fills out an I-9 form (i.e. when you start a new job). If you list one thing on the form but the SS office still thinks you are a LPR, it could be a problem that, undoubtedly, will be your responsibility to fix. Anyway, it could be a real nightmare, and it's easy to avoid by updating SS status sooner, rather than later. May also impact benefit eligibility later on.

Passed interview in LA

Hi Everybody,

I did my interview today in downtown LA, and passed it. Here's what happened:

I took the red metro line (highly recommended!), arrived 45 minutes before my scheduled time, and started my interview some 10 minutes before I was supposed to. The interviewer stated that normally they have a lot more people coming in, but not today. I wanted to take the new civics test, but he insisted to do the old one first, as it would take an hour to set up the new test. I don't know what he meant exactly... maybe he didn't have the questions in the system. In any case, I prepared for the new test, and ended up taking the old one after he insisted. I passed without any mistakes.

The rest of the questions were pretty standard. He went down the list of answers from my form and double-checked everything. He asked for my SSN card (which I didn't have), but said it would be OK if I knew and told him my number. Obviously, he also checked my passport, GC and driver's license.

After recommending me for approval he said that I should receive my oath letter in a few weeks (3-4). Good luck to you all!

03/06/08: MD, CA CSC
03/08/08: Appl. Rc'd
03/10/08: PD
03/12/08: CC
03/19/08: PN Rc'd
03/21/08: FP Notice Rc'd
04/01/08: FP Date
08/23/08: IL Rc’d
10/15/08: Int. Date (downtown Los Angeles) Passed!
00/00/00: N. Oath (N445)
00/00/00: Oath Ceremony Date
00/00/00: PP Appl.
00/00/00: VR
00/00/00: PP Rc'd

interview in LA

The interview took about 45 minutes, and I was given the notice afterwards. I strongly recommend taking a copy of the N-400 form you sent in, since the questions go fast and you might not be able to always understand them. My English is excellent but I still had some problems understanding them quickly without looking at the form (especially that some are written in "lawyer language"). I took tax forms and driver's license records but was not asked about them.

My interviewer seemed to ask and re-ask questions about any possible involvement with t. organizations, despite the fact that I have never been to the M. East and such. He even ask me if I am OBL:) I think he was trying to be funny, despite that one could hardly laugh about it. Whatever...

Playing the waiting game in LA

My finger prints were done on 23rd September and its been almost a month and still no reply. Wasn't the newfangled system for name check supposed to streamline this? Should I go ahead and schedule an Infopass?

P.S. Checking the San Francisco thread also reveals a slowing of the process. May be California processing times are slowing down.

Last edited by a moderator:
At this time it is difficult to determine if there is a new trend or a slowing in processing times in CA. I wouldn't worry about an info pass at this time... You should hear something shortly....

So is it a trend in Los Angeles that after interview passed, Oath letter will arrive in 3-4 weeks?? it used to be that you wait about 45 min after your interview and you will be informed of your oath date right away. And can you travel between interview and oath? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

i got my oath letter

The oath letter arrived a lot sooner than I thought, and it was mailed exactly one week after my interview. Things are moving very fast in LA these days (hence the lack of angry writers on this forum:). Find my info below:

03/06/08: MD, CA CSC
03/08/08: Appl. Rc'd
03/10/08: PD
03/12/08: CC
03/19/08: PN Rc'd
03/21/08: FP Notice Rc'd
04/01/08: FP Date
08/23/08: IL Rc’d
10/15/08: Int. Date (downtown Los Angeles) Passed!
10/24/08: N. Oath (N445)
11/21/08: Oath Ceremony Date
00/00/00: PP Appl.
00/00/00: VR
00/00/00: PP Rc'd

oath letter

To LM89:

May i know where did you have your interview at? It's in LA office or Soto? I had my interview and passed it at Soto on Oct 14 as well! But i'm still waiting for my oath letter. Not sure if any one is in a similar situation.

Thanks.

Oops typo... my interview date was 9/24/08. so it has been a month since then.

Does the oath letter generally take this long?

interview

Hi Luvkkx,

I did my interview in downtown LA. I think I was lucky to get the oath letter so soon for at least two reasons:

1. My application is as straightforward as possible, with a a very rare name (didn't get stuck in name check), and no special circumstances. I suppose that the supervisor validated the approval quickly.

2. The day when I interviewed, they scheduled about 50 people when the norm is 200. The officer told me that. This means the supervisor finished his/her work quickly and things moved fast.

Based on my observations, the letter arrives about 10-40 days after the interview, and the oath is about 20-40 days after the letter. I am willing to bet that you'll get your letter within a week.

I hope this helps.

LM89

Thanks LM89,

I will keep my eyes on the mail box. I hope it will be like what you said, and i will get it w/in another 10 days.

Congratulation to you!

It's almost the end of the journey!

long journey

Indeed, this is the end of a long road. I arrived here in '92, when an American passport would have made a big difference.