landing experience

Nilayt,
Thank you so much for your help. I was told that you have to have the H1B visa and that is expired no more than a year can send your pp to revalidate. I don't know if that's true. Do you know any phone number or official site about it? Thanks again.
JYW

JYM,
Yest that is true. If it is not expired more than one year you can apply to get a visa stamp in USA.

Hi All,

I would be landing in Canada next weekend. I had a few questions.

1. I am coming back to the US , next day itself. Would I require to submit my I-94 to the Airline or to either of the immigration folks?
2. Do I need to apply for a SIN Card at this stage , or can I do it later , when I decide to permanently move to Canada?

Thanks in advance

Landed but with a different story

I landed last week but I would say the immigration officer did give me a tough time. She went into if I am really immigrating, lease in US, job in the US, if I quit my employer etc. But interestingly, when I said yes to if I applied to US immigration, she said that they will be informed about my taking canadian immigration !

Did anybody have this problem ? Will they cancel or do anything to my US immigration ? They also refused to take my friends address and said fax us when you take up a lease. Is this a problem. I am planning to fax them with his address now.

Also the customs made me enter my car as follow to item since I would have a choice of importing later without paying duty.

Also, I didnt apply for SIN as the office was closed. IS this a problem. Can I mail them an application or do I have to go there physically ?

Any help. Thanks

singhna,

If you are coming back within 30 days you don't have to submitt your I-94 to airline.

you can use same i-94 to get into us again.

Regarding SIN card, I believe it is ok to apply later date but it is easy procedure to apply so just do it.

JYW2004

Here is the link of the web site have all the information regarding visa revalidation

http://travel.state.gov/hlop.html

Nilayt,
Thank you so much for your help. I was told that you have to have the H1B visa and that is expired no more than a year can send your pp to revalidate. I don't know if that's true. Do you know any phone number or official site about it? Thanks again.
JYW

nimranoor,

yes, that is true. you might get some info on us state visa website which you already have.

landed 2 days back

Hi,

Just to let you know that two days back I landed in vancouver and came back this monday to SFO. On the whole the experience was good. All the canadian immigration officials were very helpful. Applied for SIN monday itself. Did not open bank account, medical. For the PR card and SIN address I gave toronto address. Let me know if you have any questions

This forum has been very helpful to me. Thanks to everyone

Venkatram

Guys

If the I-94 is expired, Can we use the same I-94 to enter back US? Or Can we use the I-94 from H1 approval notice?

Thanks,
PBK

hi venkatram:

where did you give the canadian address. I mean which form ? The lady refused to take my friends address. Also, do you have to physically go to apply for the SIN or can I fax/mail info to them.

I gave toronto address. She did not say anything. She asked whether I am going to goto toronto to pickup the PR card. I told her that I will be going back to US. Then she said that I should get entry visa to enter back in canada as I will not be staying till the PR card is sent. Reg. SIN, you can also send mail with the original PR receipt, but If they misplaces it then you will be at risk.

Hi Pbk,

Mine was the same case. I-94 expired but h1 I-94 was valid.
The US immigration officer asked us to fill the new I-94 form
, took photo and fingerprints and allowed us in. He was very nice, told us very clearly not to hand over the I-94 to any immigration official next time when we visit canada or mexico.

Can I apply for health benefit even though I am returning back to the US within a couple of days? I was told that if you tell them that you are coming back to the US they will not allow you to apply for benefit?

Has anyone applied and then returned back to the US?

Thanks

For krishna02

We are also in the same situation with our US Green Card process pending. We were planning to travel to Canada on our Advance parole but after reading your landing experience feel uncertain to do so. Could you tell us how you had landed in Canada (by air or by rented car). Most of the landing experiences I have read on this forum regarding immigration officers mentioning about reporting to US Immigration have been done when the person landed with car.

We are really confused as what to do?

Any responses would be helpful.

HI rscool,

As per my understanding the immigration is much better if you fly rather than by road. Again this is my pure assumption.

The immigration officer did not bother about the purpose of the visit. he just asked us how long did we stay in canada, thats all.

If you decide to go, then I guess,flight is the better option

Also in my case, I have an american born kid with us and that also might make a diferrence

I have send my Passports to Buffalo for Visa Stamping:
=======================================

I have the same case as yours. My H1-B stamp on Passport (and I-94) has expired. Now my employer has already applied for my H1-B extension and i m hoping to get the approval some where in the end of May (or early june).

After reading your post it looks like i dont need to get the Visa Stamped on my passport and i can land in canada, stay there for 4-5 days and come back on my Expired Visa Stamp by just showing them the new H1-B approval (with I-94). Please confirm.

If this is the case, then it will take one more burden off my head :)

PS:
oh and this also means that we can travel b/w US and Canada on expired H1-B stamp (and new approval) ? I am actually planning to spend a week every month in Canada and will move for good once i get a good job there, till then i'll continue my US job.

Originally posted by venkatram
Hi Pbk,

Mine was the same case. I-94 expired but h1 I-94 was valid.
The US immigration officer asked us to fill the new I-94 form
, took photo and fingerprints and allowed us in. He was very nice, told us very clearly not to hand over the I-94 to any immigration official next time when we visit canada or mexico.

Hi Web_guru2003,

you need to have the latest h1-b visa stamp on the passport. Eventhough the new h1-b's new i-94 is valid you still need to have the vasa stamped. The immigration officer was specifically looking for the stamp.

u can come back on expired I-94 and H1 visa as long as u have current valid I-94 in ur recent I-797 notice and not apply for visa in canada and be back within 30 days . This is automatic revalidation.

If I am not wrong then I-797 notice I-94 and regular I-94 is same only diff is I-797 notice I-94 is the extension of previous one.
Both I-94 will have same control number. Please check.

Per my experience, I showed my I-797 I-94 to the immigration officer, but he said he need to issue a new one and asked us to fill the new I-94 form. Yes the number I-797 is same as the prevoius i-94 number. Now I got a new I-94 number since I had to fill a new I-94