landing experience

Now thats interesting to check. I am still waiting for my Passports to come back from Buffalo but i'll check this thing and update u guys.

Let me summarize:

We can land in Canada and come back (before 30 days) if we have the extention notice (I-797 with I-94 attached to it) no matter if our Visa stamp & I-94 in the passports has expired.

Am i right?

Originally posted by rmsag
If I am not wrong then I-797 notice I-94 and regular I-94 is same only diff is I-797 notice I-94 is the extension of previous one.
Both I-94 will have same control number. Please check.

rscool, I landed by car. I think it is more to do with the officer. Do you know of somebody who had this problem. I had never read this in this forum. I am not sure whom they will inform since I think there is nobody here to bother about the rules of a different country. If you ask me, I think it doesnt matter.

planing on Landing in Toronto soon.

Pls how long does it take to get Premanent Resident card send to address.

Thanks

Landing---> Help Needed

Hi All,

I am planning to Drive to Toronto from Buffalo for my landing and return to US after 3-4 days. My wife will accomapny me. Here is my situation, please let me know if we can land in Canada as planned-

I used to work for company A. I have a H1 B Visa Stamp on my Passport from this company which is valid until July 27, 2004. My wife has H4 with the same date. And our 1-94 is valid until July 2004.

In Oct’2003, I moved to company B from company A. They have filed for fresh Visa and I have received the H1b Approval Notice recently. I am planning to send my passport to St Louis for Revalidation later. (After we come back from Canada)

The Corporate Department of company A sent me the following message recently -- “His H-1 was cancelled, however, he will only be able to apply for a new visa stamp in his passport if there is only 60 days of validity left or it
has been expired for less than 1 year.

The visa stamp can be used with any company someone works for irregardless of whether or not their H-1 was cancelled”

Can any one explain the last paragraph? :confused:
Does this mean we can still use the Visa issued on this company for landing in Canada and return to US without any problem.

If YES Can We –

1) Drive to Canada on Rental Car? Take Two Way Rental? What should we tell the Immigration officer about the car?
2) Fill in the “Goods to Follow” now with the following – Car, jewelry, Computer etc
3) Show the I-94 to the immigration officer? Pros and cons of showing 1-94?
4) Is it ok to carry less money than specified in the Application? What form (check, Demand draft, cash) is the best? What are the pros and cons for selecting a particular form?
5) While retuning back to US can we carry the money with us or Do we have to deposit it in Canadian Bank.
6) What are the questions generally asked by US immigration while returning.

Would really appreciate if you could answer the above questions.

Thank You Very Much,
ck

Buffalo office contact no. for passport

Hi,

I sent my passport for parmenant residence visa to buffalo office on 5/4/04. Till date I haven't receive it back. Due to family emergancy in India, I need to visit India ASAP. Does any one know that whom I have to contact to get my passport back immediatly.

Thanks,

I was in the same situtation and i flew back to JFK without any problem. The only difference is that my company "A" visa was never cancelled (at least they never told me if the are cancelling the visa or not).

Immigration officer at the airport was much interested in the exp date of the stamped visa and approval I-797 for the new company. New exp date that he wrote on my I-94 was the exp date of my I-797 which was months after the exp of stamped visa.

You should be ok while travelling. If you want to be more carefull, call the state dept (get the number from http://travel.state.gov).

1)Drive to Canada on Rental Car? Take Two Way Rental? What should we tell the Immigration officer about the car?

You have to ask the car rental store about their policy for border crossing. Not every car rental allow their cars to cross border but many do and they do supply the documentation.

2) Fill in the “Goods to Follow” now with the following – Car, jewelry, Computer etc

Yes prepare your Good to Follow list and get it stamped from Candian Custom

3) Show the I-94 to the immigration officer? Pros and cons of showing 1-94?

As per my understanding you will never come across the US immigrations while leaveing the US. You can show the I-94 to Canadian Immigrations and tell them truth that you are only planning to land now and will come back later for good. Always be honest.

4) Is it ok to carry less money than specified in the Application? What form (check, Demand draft, cash) is the best? What are the pros and cons for selecting a particular form?

You can carry all the above mentioned forms. I wont suggest carrying large amount of cash. Instead of carrying all the mony that you have mentioned you can take a little amount as traveler's check or cash. Take with you, your latest bank statement and take a ATM statement right before driving to the border. This will do the trick for you.

5)While retuning back to US can we carry the money with us or Do we have to deposit it in Canadian Bank.

You dont have to deposite any money in Canadian Bank.

6)What are the questions generally asked by US immigration while returning.

I dont know, I my self have to land and i am still waiting for my passports from Buffalo. All the above information that i gave you is from the forums like this.

ckrk said:
Hi All,

I am planning to Drive to Toronto from Buffalo for my landing and return to US after 3-4 days. My wife will accomapny me. Here is my situation, please let me know if we can land in Canada as planned-

I used to work for company A. I have a H1 B Visa Stamp on my Passport from this company which is valid until July 27, 2004. My wife has H4 with the same date. And our 1-94 is valid until July 2004.

In Oct’2003, I moved to company B from company A. They have filed for fresh Visa and I have received the H1b Approval Notice recently. I am planning to send my passport to St Louis for Revalidation later. (After we come back from Canada)

The Corporate Department of company A sent me the following message recently -- “His H-1 was cancelled, however, he will only be able to apply for a new visa stamp in his passport if there is only 60 days of validity left or it
has been expired for less than 1 year.

The visa stamp can be used with any company someone works for irregardless of whether or not their H-1 was cancelled”

Can any one explain the last paragraph? :confused:
Does this mean we can still use the Visa issued on this company for landing in Canada and return to US without any problem.
Thank You Very Much,
ck

landing Questions??? help.

Hi,

I applied in April 2002 from US and got landing papers in Feb 2004...I am planning to land in Canada in first wk of June'04 for 4 days.
Can anybody who has landed pls let me know -

1) In the application, I showed Toronto as my landing destination . Can I land in Calgary instead ?
Will there be any problem in that ?

2) How much $ $ amount should I carry for 2 persons (me and spouse)

i will appreciate if anyone can give replies.
thank you !!

I had a question about landing. I plan to return back to the US in a week. I will be giving the address of a relative for them to mail the card in Canada. If they ask me to personally appear at the processing center to pick up the card how do I handle it considering I will already be in the US?

I was told that you need a PR card to re enter Canada. Can I get a limited entry travel document to re enter if I run into this issue or get a visitor'd visa?

Thanks

Landing at Buffalo border

Hi

I plan to land at the Canadian Border(Buffalo) - Peace Bridge
next month. I just plan to enter Canada and apply for PR card/
SIN and return back to USA. I will be driving to Canada using
my own car.

I have the following questions:

-Since I am planning to drive my own car and return in 1 week.
Is there any issue doing so? Can I say at the port of entry that
I wish to go back to USA and will declare the car when I come
back to Canada for good?
-I do not plan to declare anything. Infact I do not plan to
permanently move to Canada for the next 1 year. Is there an issue?
-What is "Goods to follow" list? Do I need to make one as I do
not plan to move my stuff at this point?
-I am planning to take $5000 either cash or Money Order. Any advise
whats better?

Please advise?

Entered Canada at Niagara Falls border (Rainbow Bridge). At USA end, no one asked anything. At Canada end, showed the lady our passports with Canadian Immigration Visa. She asked us to go to the Immigration and Customs building right next to the checkpoint.

At immigration, the lady checked the passports, landing papers, settlement amount (I had a banker's check but bank statement is also sufficient). I gave her my address in Canada where our PR cards would be mailed in about a month. We had to sign at number of places on the landing papers. The lady stamped the passports. Once the immigration process was over, she sent us to Customs department. The lady at customs asked me if I was importing any vehicles. I said no. I was driving in my own vehicle and had listed the vehicle in my 'Goods to follow list'. She stamped the 'Goods to Follow' list and returned one copy to me with some other documents.

The entire process took less than half hour.

We had our US Permanent Residence stamp on the passport. The immigration lady saw that and told me you can not have two permanent residencies togather. It is not legal. She also noted our A#. She said that Six months would be a good time to decide whether you want to retain US Green Card or Canadian PR Card. If you decide to stay in the US, the Canadian PR cards can be surrendered at any consulate in the US.

Overall the process was very smooth. People are very friendly at the immigration office. The lady said 'Welcome to Canada' after everything was over. Spent the whole day at Niagara Falls on Canadian side and returned to US in the evening without any problems.

Thanks
-TRISAM

So the landing can be done either at a border custom office or at an air port immigration post? Canada support double citizenship, why not double permanent residentship? Thanks.

Landed Immigrants Without Visas Cannot Be Readmitted on I-94 Card?

Can somebody explain this news:

Landed Immigrants Without Visas Cannot Be Readmitted on I-94 Card

Jeff Gorsky, Chief of Advisory Opinions, Office of Legislations, Regulations and Advisory Assistance, Visa Office, confirms to AILA's DOS Liaison Committee that Canadian permanent residents in the U.S. who have not obtained nonimmigrant visas (as they now must do) and who subsequently return to Canada CANNOT take advantage of the automatic revalidation provisions of 22 CFR Section 41.112(d) in seeking readmission to the U.S. Hence, even if they meet all the requirements of subsection 41.112(d)(2) (I-94 with continued validity, seeking readmission within 30 days, valid passport, etc.), because they do not have a visa, there is nothing to revalidate. As a practical matter, this means they must anticipate applying for, and obtaining, a visa before seeking readmission.

Posted on AILA InfoNet at Doc. No. 03102944 (Oct. 29, 2003).

22 C.F.R. § 41.112(d) provides:

(d)--Automatic extension of validity at ports of entry.

(1)--Provided that the requirements set out in paragraph (d)(2) of this section are fully met, the following provisions apply to nonimmigrant aliens seeking readmission at ports of entry:

(i)--The validity of an expired nonimmigrant visa issued under INA 101(a)(15) may be considered to be automatically extended to the date of application for readmission; and

(ii)--In cases where the original nonimmigrant classification of an alien has been changed by INS to another nonimmigrant classification, the validity of an expired or unexpired nonimmigrant visa may be considered to be automatically extended to the date of application for readmission, and the visa may be converted as necessary to that changed classification.

(2)--The provisions in paragraph (d)(1) of this section are applicable only in the case of a nonimmigrant alien who:

(i)--Is in possession of a Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record, endorsed by INS to show an unexpired period of initial admission or extension of stay, or, in the case of a qualified F or J student or exchange visitor or the accompanying spouse or child of such an alien, is in possession of a current Form I-20, Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status, or Form IAP-66, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status, issued by the school the student has been authorized to attend by INS, or by the sponsor of the exchange program in which the alien has been authorized to participate by INS, and endorsed by the issuing school official or program sponsor to indicate the period of initial admission or extension of stay authorized by INS;

(ii)--Is applying for readmission after an absence not exceeding 30 days solely in contiguous territory, or, in the case of a student or exchange visitor or accompanying spouse or child meeting the stipulations of paragraph (d)(2)(i) of this section, after an absence not exceeding 30 days in contiguous territory or adjacent islands other than Cuba;

(iii)--Has maintained and intends to resume nonimmigrant status;

(iv)--Is applying for readmission within the authorized period of initial admission or extension of stay;

(v)--Is in possession of a valid passport;

(vi)--Does not require authorization for admission under INA 212(d)(3); and

(vii)--Has not applied for a new visa while abroad.

(3)--The provisions in paragraphs (d)(1) and (d)(2) of this section shall not apply to the nationals of countries identified as supporting terrorism in the Department's annual report to Congress entitled Patterns of Global Terrorism. :confused: :confused:

Here is our landing exp...
Arrived at Windsor POE on 6th 4.30pm, the check post officer asked basic questions (such as why are entering Canada, rental car?) and directed us to the Imm & customs building.
Conversation between the Imm lady and me
Q. Why are you here?
A. Landing
Q. R all family members here.
A. Yes
Q. What is ur status in US?
A H1 (mean while she check the h1 visa and said so you have a status in US until 5months)
Q. So when r u moving (relocating) to CN
A. In a month or two
Q. So you will not live in CN? Therefore, you do not have an address in CN.
A. I have an apt address, where I am planning on staying.
Q. Do you have proof of address in CN?
A. No, yet to sign the lease, But until then will be sharing apt with a friend of mine, and was about to give the address.
Q. Since you are not moving permanently, will allow you to land and cannot apply for PR, you will have to apply when for PR when you move permanently.
Gave 4 applications for each one of US and said they are valid for 180 days and need to fill in and apply for PR card on next visit to CN. In addition, specifically mentioned that those papers and the PR attachment attached to PP can be used to enter CN only via road by personal mode of transport (means not valid for flying in, taxi, bus etc)
Later she got few signatures on the PR papers and directed us to the Customs.
All the above took about 45 min,

Went to Customs with the Goods to follow list, the officer checked the list, and mentioned that I had under evaluated the cost, and just bumped the cost of the goods to 40k CN from 30 k. list also included 2 vehicles worth of 25k.
Stamped the two copies and kept one copy with them. In addition, said when ever goods are move to CN we will be required to show the list and get them check off.
Monday went to HRCC and applied for SIN (1/2hr) and opened a bank account(1hr). And returned back to US,.
At the US POE, the officer at the check post asked why did we go to CN, and also asked why did we use Rental car instead of Own car. and few minutes he let us go.
Hope this helps others preparing for landing.

Wish you all the best.
Question: I had read some posts earlier that you could apply for PR card via online.
Can any one throw some light?

This is a little weird that you could not apply for PR card. I am planning to tell them when I land that I have not yet made up my mind when to enter Canada since legally don't I have 3 yrs to enter Canada without losing my PR residency, right?

So in this case would they let me apply for the PR card or give me sometime frame to land in canada?

How should I best approach this? I want to spend sometime in the US since I have a H1b visa and hence have not yet decided when to land.

Thanks

Landed immigrant Canada - return with valid I-94 expired visa stamp

I need help. I will become a landed immigrant in Canada in July. I have expired H1-B stamp in my Passport but my I-94 is valid until Feb 2005. Can I return to U.S. with just valid I-94 without the visa stamp. Has anyone done that recently?

Hi Everyone,
I have a question. I plan to move while landing. But still got a lot of issues needing to be finalized after I move to Canada, and I will keep my H1 valid for a couple of months. Will I have any problem to come back to U.S. if I tell the Canadian immigration officer that I want to move permanently? Will they stamp something on my passport to notify the U.S. officer that I'm not suppose to have valid status in the U.S.? Really confused. Please help. Thank you very much.
JYW

My Landing Experience

I landed in Toronto (Pearson) a few weeks ago. My experience was very pleasant...just a few basic questions were asked , how much money are you bringing etc. I gave them a forwarding address in Toronto to mail the PR card. The paperwork was completed in 15 mins & customs stamped my "goods to follow" list. I went to the HRDC office to apply for SIN card the next day...took 10 mins. I returned home to the US (on H1B by flight) after a couple of days & didn't encounter any problems at the border. The PR & SIN cards arrived at my relatives address within a month.

The entire process ...start to finish took about 2 years. :)

Good luck to everyone!

Can-immi