landing experience

Canna_immi
Thanks for the post, how long is your H1b visa vaild in the US? Did the canadian officer ask how long will it take to permanently move to Canada? If so how did you respond?

The reason I am asking is those whose H1b is expiring soon have had some issues getting their PR card mailed.

Thanks

Flying directly into Canada better than landing by land ??

Hi,
From my looking at these posts since the last year or so it seems that people who directly fly into Canada (Toronto or Vancouver airport) seem to have a much easier and hassel free experience then those crossing the border via land route in a rental car etc.
Has anyone had a bad experience while flying in ?
If my theroy is correct it may be better to speck $ 100-$200 more and directly fly in.
Thanks

PS: Further in my totally unscientific analysis it seems people have the worst issues in Windsor. second seems Buffalo. Havent heard across anyone having issues while passing through the Niagara border or on the west coast

Important Information needed

Hello Gurus, I am new to this forum and I am preparing documents to apply for Canada PR for that I need some information, so can you please advice me?

1. Proof of Language Proficiency : Can you please send me some sample letter or what we have to specify in that letter in order to prove the language?

2. Police certificate and clearance: I got the finger prints from FBI one year back but I didn't apply for Canada PR for the past one year. where do we want to send this FBI whether to Buffalo Office or to Indian Consulate to get the PCC? Please advice how long the FBI information is valid?

3. Dependent child: My Son is a US Born citizen and he is 6 years old, I am in H1 5 years finished in US. Do we have to apply for my son also the Canada PR and how is the amount we have to pay for him, do we want to send photographs also for him.?

Thanks in Advance.

Landing in Calgary.

I want to land in Calgary and give my friend's address in Toronto. Is it ok or immigration officer gives lot of problems?

I am on H1b expires in 2006. I have PR Visa still March 2005. Based on above circumstances, can you please give me suggestion what to do?

- Thanks in Advance
rr

You can land anywhere by any means in Canada and can give any Canadian address at the port of entry. H1B1 visa is from US and PR is from Canada and they don't have any connections what so ever. You can land and go back to US on your H1.

Moving from Canada to US_seeking info

Hi Folks- thanks in advace.

I apologize if i am using the wrong thread. But, after reading your experiences, i thought i would get some expert opinion here. Here is my story.
I am a Candian PR for about 3years and 6 months and though living in Windsor, travelled every day and worked for a company on H1 from Oct2003 to Dec 2003. Visa and I-94 are valid till 2006.

Now, i dont have a job from that employer. Since my family is in Detroit, i am using H1 to visit them often and hence, did not surrender my I-94.

Now,i have to go to the Montreal US embassy for US GC (family based-wife applied) interview. My questions are-
1)since i am no more working in US, do i need to surrender my I-94 at Canadian border.
2) If i dont want to surrender it(for some reasons)- will i have problem during GC interview at Montreal.
3) will i have problem at POE while entering US even if Montreal gives me visa.

Does anyone resemble my situation? I will really appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Calgary Facilities

I want to land in the calgary to finish my landing formalities. Can anyone tell
is Calgary got the all the facilities like, Taking PR Card Picture?

Based on this answer, I will goto calgary or else, i need plan to land in vancouver or toronto.

Thanks in Advance,
rr

I just wanted to share my landing experience. For the Long weekend I went to seattle. From there we went to seattle/vancouver border. The guy at the border asked us the purpose of the visit. I told him that we are landing. He asked us about the van. I told him that it was a rented one, and told him that I have the cars listed in the Goods to Follow list. He handed me a White paper with some details written and asked us to proceed to the Immigration building. The immigration lady asked us the purpose of our visit and I told her that we are landing. She asked me for the landing papers. She asked me about my status in US and I told her that I have H1B. Then she asked me about the funds. I just showed her my statement, she made a note on the Immigration Papers. About the address, I gave one of my friends address. She told me that I will be receiving my PR card at that address.

She then asked me to go to the Customs Department for the Goods to follow Declaration. I showed the list prepared with all the items with Serial Numbers and model Number of all the electronic Items. MAKE SURE THAT YOU PUT AN ESTIMATED VALUES FOR EACH ITEMS. For Jewellery, I had taken pictures of all the jewellery, they made a copy of all the photos, and also they put a stamp on back of each photos.

When you put the vehicles in the goods to follow list make sure that you take your vehicle registration card with you. They asked me for that. I had my insurance papers, I just showed that to them.

Then they totalled the value and gave me a copy of the goods to follow list. And we were all set.

Overall It was a really a pleasent experience.

While comming back to US, we just made a U turn and came back to US Border. That too was a smooth one no questions asked. Overall the whole process took me an hour and a half.

I learned a lot from this site about the canadian Immigration. It is now my turn to say Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need help/suggestions regarding my immigration to canada

I am based in Portland, Oregon and I am planning to immigrate to Canada by the end of this month (July,04). I have a valid H1 visa for over 2 years. I am planning to complete the process traveling by road to Vancouver, BC and come back after 2-3 days. I am going to give my friends address for mail. I will really appreciate if someone can clarify my doubts and guide me. I have the following questions:

1. Do I need to surrender my I-94 to the immigration officer in BC? I don't want to lie to them that I have already surrendered those to US immigration (since I would not have gone through US immigration while entering).

2. Do I need to carry funds in Money Order/ Cashiers check or is the bank statement enough?

3. I am planning to carry just some clothes etc for 2-3 days. Do I have have to prepare a list for these items and do I still need to carry a "list of item to follow".

3. Do I disclose to the immigration officer that I will be returning back to US for my job in 2-3 days? How can this be handled (if some one was in a similar situation)? If I lie to the officer and tell him I am staying, then won't it be obvious based on my H1 and job status and the goods I am going to carry with me that I don't intend to stay. Please provide as much details about this question as you can.

4. Do I have to fill seperate forms for PR card?

5. When I re-enter US after 2-3 days, do I have to do any other paper work? Since I will be coming without the PR card, is this fine? Do I have to go through any other Canadian immigration process at the border before entering US?

6. Do they stamp the passports or record somewhere that you are leaving Canada without the PR card?

7. Since I have my green card processing going on simulateously here in US, will that be affected in any way?

8. Do I have to file my taxes in Canada also (since I will be working and filing my taxes in US) in the coming years?

9. What all things should I complete before leaving Canada? (like SIN etc...)

Please also provide any other additional useful tips.

Regards
Raj

Same questions here..

I have exactly same questions as you have. If you got any responses, please post it on this forum.

Thanks

ruxil said:
I am based in Portland, Oregon and I am planning to immigrate to Canada by the end of this month (July,04). I have a valid H1 visa for over 2 years. I am planning to complete the process traveling by road to Vancouver, BC and come back after 2-3 days. I am going to give my friends address for mail. I will really appreciate if someone can clarify my doubts and guide me. I have the following questions:

1. Do I need to surrender my I-94 to the immigration officer in BC? I don't want to lie to them that I have already surrendered those to US immigration (since I would not have gone through US immigration while entering).

2. Do I need to carry funds in Money Order/ Cashiers check or is the bank statement enough?

3. I am planning to carry just some clothes etc for 2-3 days. Do I have have to prepare a list for these items and do I still need to carry a "list of item to follow".

3. Do I disclose to the immigration officer that I will be returning back to US for my job in 2-3 days? How can this be handled (if some one was in a similar situation)? If I lie to the officer and tell him I am staying, then won't it be obvious based on my H1 and job status and the goods I am going to carry with me that I don't intend to stay. Please provide as much details about this question as you can.

5. When I re-enter US after 2-3 days, do I have to do any other paper work? Since I will be coming without the PR card, is this fine? Do I have to go through any other Canadian immigration process at the border before entering US?

6. Do they stamp the passports or record somewhere that you are leaving Canada without the PR card?

7. Since I have my green card processing going on simulateously here in US, will that be affected in any way?

8. Do I have to file my taxes in Canada also (since I will be working and filing my taxes in US) in the coming years?

Regards
Raj

REPLY- Immigration through Vancouver, BC

Reply from bhand11683
----------------------

NO

You should carry required funds in Money Order/ Cashiers check .

3. I am planning to carry just some clothes etc for 2-3 days. Do I have have to prepare a list for these items and do I still need to carry a "list of item to follow". Although I am not planning to finally move for at least a couple of years.

Good idea to make the "goods to follow" list and get it stamped as whenever you move those items will be imported without customs duty including your car

Nope but don't lie if asked

No

No

No

No

Not if you are not living in canada .

Nothing except PR card

Why do you need to carry cashier's check?Bank statements should be more than sufficient if you are not planning to land permanently in canada, I had posted that question before and many people said that there was no reason to take cashier's checks if you are not permanently moving at the same time.

Also why can't you say that you are moving back to US in 3-4 days? Legally you have 3yrs within a 5yr window to permanently move to keep your PR status after your landing so there should be no issues telling that to the officer right from the start even if he doesn't ask.

Anyone has any other view points please let me know since I am planning to land soon

Thanks

Landing Completed.

With My family, I landed in Canada at Toronto International Airport.

The immigration process was pleasant and normal and took about 15 minutes. Canada Immigration Officer did not ask when I am returning, but took my friends address for sending the PR card. The officer asked about how much funds I have in my possession and made a note of it. She did not ask for seeing any proof.

At customs counter, they verified and stamped the goods to follow list and stamped the jewelry photographs. The overall process took about 1.5 hours.

We proceeded to Niagara and applied for SIN at Burlington and returned after two days.

As per the 30-day visit to contiguous territories, we did not surrender the I-94 on departure from US airport. On return, the US immigration officer looked at our current -I94 and let us through after taking fingerprints and photographs.

I would be glad to answer any questions. Thank you everyone for participating in this forum.

This may help the people who are planning to land.

1. Arrange all documents in a folder and have proof of funds.
2. Answer only to the questions asked. You need not disclose anything without being asked.
3. Have two copies of goods to follow list with estimated values.
4. If automobiles are listed, present VIN numbers:
5. Have serial numbers of electronics items also listed.
6. Total the estimated values of goods to follow.
7. Have two copies of jewelry photographs.

Applied :Sep 2002
AOR :Nov 2002
I A : :Nov 2003
Medical :Jan 2004
Passport Req:Apr 2004
Visa Issued :May 2004
Landed :Jul 2004

Landing completed

Vu2vut....

1) When you were returning back to States, did you have a valid visa stamp in your passport or did the immigration officer let you enter U.S. using automatic revalidation.
2) Did you fly back to States?

Omarx,

I flew back from Toronto International airport.

I had a valid VISA, but expiring in two months. The US Immigration officer at Toronto airport commented on it and I replied that company had already applied for extension.

vu2vut

Is it fine if I just take one set of pictures, since at this late stage I can't get another copy as the pictures were taken in India and its too late to get another set.

Do you know of anyone who went through with one set?

Thanks

Photos of jewelry

Srini88,

I went through with one set, but it would have saved me some time at Customs if I had two sets of photographs. I dont think two sets of photographs is mandatory.

vu2vut
Thanks for your reply, I had one last question regarding the funds even though they didn't check yours did you take cashier's checks or just bank statements? I have bank statements and a letter from the bank too detailing my funds.

Any opinion on which way is better considering that one is returning back to the US in 3-4 days?

Hi,
Dose any of you have the list of port of entries that we can use for landing?
I tried to find this information in CIC web site but couldn't find it!

Can I land through Detroit border by car?

Do I need to apply for SIN card? why?

The immigration visa they provided is only good for one entry. But we can use PR card for future entry, right?

Thanks in advance to take the time to answer my naive questions :)

Srini88,

My interpretation was that Canadian Immigration officials need to ensure that a landing resident should have enough funds to settle initially, before determining admissibility. Refer to the instructions you obtained with landing papers. Also note that the Imm. official is required to enter the amount of fundsyou are carrying in the landing documents as "Money in Possession" (Item 42 in IMM5292).

Whether the official beleives that an immigrant may return to US or elsewhere and will come back with sufficient funds later is dependent on the individual case.

In my case, I mentioned I have been working long enough in US and had a cashiers check for about CAD11,000. I deposited the check back upon my return. Also if you are carrying more than USD10,000 in monetary insturments to USA, you are supposed to declare it at the Customs at Port of Entry. So decide on the amount you want to carry wisely.

Not a very straight answer to your question but hope this help others too.