landing experience

I do have few question about Landing and Goods to Follow list.

- Is there specific format or form that i have to use to list down the
goods or I can use blank papers (may be in MS Excel?). If anyone can post the format of list that will help a lot.

- I'll be taking my Video and Digital camera with me on my weeklong
visit. Should i also include that in "Goods to follow" list or i have
to make a separate list for accompanied items? Can i bring both of my
camera in Canada as "visitor" and import them later when i move to
Canada for good?

- How do we list down the jewelry, by items or by weight? I am from
sub-continent and my wife got lot of (gold jewelry) gifts. If we list
down each item (even the small ones) list will go on long for 2-3
pages. Is it ok to enter the weight of Gold?

- How should I list down the furniture? Will "Bed-room furniture" ,
"Living Room furniture" do the trick for me or I have to list down as
"Queen Bed", "dressing", "2 Sofas"…. ?

and couple question about Proof of Funds

- I have a Bank of America account in US$. Is the statement of my bank
account enough for landing?

- I have a expired visa on Passport and I'll have I-797 (H1-B) extension notice with Valid I-94. Can i come back to US on valid I-94 and Expired visa or i have to get my passport stamped from US embassy, Toronto?

- How true is the theory that "Flying is better than driving" when landing as immigrant? any experiences?

Question???

1. Do I need to fill up application forms for PR card seperatley and carry with me to the port of entry?
2. Is there a pre-defined form at CIC web site which I need to fill for "items accompanied" and "items to follow". There are B4A (00) and B4E (03) and I am confused which one to use. Can some one post a format which they might have used.

Thanks
Raj

Goods to Follow List

I am attaching the Word format of Goods to Follow List I used. I used the same form to list the Goods I took while landing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Canadian Immigration - Address

I got Canadian GC last year. I am planning to land in September of this year. I want to stay in canada for two days and come back to USA. I don't have friends in Canada. Do Immigration officials ask us to give address in Canada? What are the other options if i don't have address in canada.

I landed in cananda on July 2004. Does the canadian online status change once they mail the Permenent Resident Card, or in other words how do I know whether they have mailed my PR card.

thanks

landing questions

Hello landed immigratnts,

Here is my request.
My case is, i am planning on landing on a rental car and returning back after 2 days in Toronto with a bank statement of funds and just some clothes and camera+camcorder. I am new to this forum, Highly appreciate replies/answers.

1.Did you take rental car?, If so, Is there any special thing to do while renting or at border with the rental car?
2. Did you take cash or bank statement? Is bank Statement ok?
3.Did you hand over your I-94 while leaving US border?.
4. Do i need to declare even camera and camcoder?.

Thanks in advance.

I just completed my landing last week, it was a very smooth process, I flew into toronto, after finishing customes I went through immigration. There was not a single person waiting in the line and the officer finished the whole process in 10 min, we gave them a local address for the card to be mailed to. We took bank statements and cahsier's checks but they didn't ask for it. Then we completed to the Goods to follow procedure, the officer stamped the pictures and gave us a receipt for the total value of the goods that can be brought in at a later date.

We applied for the SIN card a couple of days later and they said it would be mailed in 5 weeks.

We also completed our h1b stamping in toronto. The procedure was very smooth. They did not ask to see a single document other than the approval notices and the passports. The only questions asked where 1) What do i do? 2) How did I hear about the company I work for and 3) Do I plan to immigrate to Canada?

We got the passports back the next day. Entering back into the US was only pretty simple. They did not ask any questions other than what I did.

I had one question about that though, my h1b visa is set to expire in Sept 2006 and my wife in mar 2007, The visa officer gave me a new I-94 with Sept 2007 stamped on it instead of Sept 2006. I believe he got confused with my wife's documents and thought we both had the same expiry dates? Her I-94 states Mar 2007 which matches the visa expiry date. In my case he got the month right but the year is wrong.

Will there be any issue with this? Does that mean I can stay longer in the US?Which carries more precedence, the visa expiry date or I-94 date?

Thanks a lot for all the people who helped me in this forum, the PR process was very smooth due to the helpful advice that I got from the members.

Good luck to all of you

PR Card Not Received for my Spouse

Hi All,

We landed in Canada on April 03, 2004 and both applied for SIN Cards. We got both SIN Cards and my PR Card and my wifes PR Card is missing. I am using my brother in law's address in calgary and we returned to US after 5 days. I tried this number ( 1 800 255 4541 ) and its not going. I think this number cannot be called from US.

Can any one tell me how to contact the concerned department to know about my wife's PR Card

Why don't use some calling card that can call within the US and Canada and then try to dial the number through there, usually that works, if that does not help ask your relative in Canada to dial the number and conference you in

PThomas said:
Hi All,

We landed in Canada on April 03, 2004 and both applied for SIN Cards. We got both SIN Cards and my PR Card and my wifes PR Card is missing. I am using my brother in law's address in calgary and we returned to US after 5 days. I tried this number ( 1 800 255 4541 ) and its not going. I think this number cannot be called from US.

Can any one tell me how to contact the concerned department to know about my wife's PR Card

PThomas,

When did you get your PR card? We landed Canada April 03 via Buffalo. We don't get our green cards yet. I tyied to call that 800 number via canadian phone card but it didn't work. I guess the CIC system detects the dial-in phone number and can identify phone card gateway numbers. My Canadian friend called that number and told me the current (two weeks ago) PR card process was for somebody landed in March 21. I don't think your wife's card missing. You have to wait.

Goods to follow -urgent

Srini,

We are going to Niagara falls entry to land on thursday.
I have one question!. we are going in a rental car with a camera, camcoder and clothes to stay for few days and come back.

What do we need to fill?. Goods to accompany or goods to follow?.
As we will not be taking own cars and other household goods now, do we still need to declare as part of goods to follow?.

Highly appreciate an immediate reply!.

Thank U Mona.

I received mine in June and it was with my brother in law and he opened only recently and found my wife's is missing.

What about ur case. Did u received it or just waiting for ur spouse card.

Let me know

In ur case, did u received the card. I received mine some w
Moona said:
PThomas,

When did you get your PR card? We landed Canada April 03 via Buffalo. We don't get our green cards yet. I tyied to call that 800 number via canadian phone card but it didn't work. I guess the CIC system detects the dial-in phone number and can identify phone card gateway numbers. My Canadian friend called that number and told me the current (two weeks ago) PR card process was for somebody landed in March 21. I don't think your wife's card missing. You have to wait.

Stini88, Congratulations on smooth landing. Did you get an appointment with US embassy for H1-B interview? If yes how long is the waiting period for the appointment ? is it in months ? I am planning to land in AUG-2004 and want to get my and my wife's passports stamped from Ottawa.

Also what was US visa officer's response when you told him/her that you have in fact landed in canada to immigrate?

srini88 said:
...We also completed our h1b stamping in toronto. The procedure was very smooth. They did not ask to see a single document other than the approval notices and the passports. The only questions asked where 1) What do i do? 2) How did I hear about the company I work for and 3) Do I plan to immigrate to Canada?

We got the passports back the next day. Entering back into the US was only pretty simple. They did not ask any questions other than what I did. ...

badluckinusa

I took a camcorder and a couple of other camera 'swith me too but I did not put them in the "Goods with me" list, I just some put some clothers, cashier's checks in the "Goods with me list". We too are not moving right now but you have to do the "Goods to Follow list" This is the only chance you have to put goods that you can bring in at laterdate without any duty. So make sure you put all the items, serial numbers , pictures for jewelery, VIn numbers for cars that you plan to take eventually. If you don't take that list now you cannot bring goods in later without paying duty.

Even if you don't bring it in later it is fine but if you do decide to take them to canada you need them mentioned in the goods to follow list otherwise duty will be levied on it. Atleast this way you have an option to bring in expensive goods.

web_guru2003

You have to get an appointment there is no walk in's, without the appointment letter you cannot enter the consulate.We booked our appointment at toronto approximately two months in advance. It keeps changing so just call them and fix the earliest you can find and then you can call back and change if people drop their appointments. Also now that the revalidation has ended I suspect more people will come to canada and mexico since there is no option to do it in the US and waiting times might increase.

We said that we plan to and he didn't respond at all. Basically if anything they should see it in a positive manner since we are not applying for permanent residence in the US and they should happy about it since in the documents for h1b stamping they tell you to provide evidence that you have ties outside the US like property, land etc and this in one way is proving that you have ties outside the US atleast that's how I saw it.

H1 rejected in Canada. Please help

Hello

My brother went to canada to get his H1 stamped and they rejected his H1 saying that he should get it stamped from home country. He is working for a consultant and he was on bench for 6-8 months.. They are asking him to prove why he did not get paid for those 6 months. They looked at all previous H1s and Tax returns and W2s, asked for photos and told him it is not clearly approvable.

Please HELP what he should as he will not get an appointment in India for months....

Any advice will REALLY HELP.

smxhan

I heard that due to excessive backlogs at the US consulates in Madras (Chennai) and Bombay (Mumbai) they are allowing people whose jurisdiction falls under those consulates to apply instead at the consulate in Calcutta or the embassy in New Delhi.
Since waits at Calcutta and New Delhi are much shorter your brother should be able to apply from there. shouldnt take him more than a week to get an appt in Calcutta or 2 weeks in New Delhi.
I hope that helps. I dont have any more info - you could check the conulate/embassy websites.

H1 Visa Stamp in Canada for Landed Immigrants

Can any body please help me in getting answer to the following questions

My 1st H1B stamp on passport is expiring on Sep 17, 2004. I got my Canadian immigration approval and I am going to get Canadian Immigration stamp on passport on Aug 3rd, 2004.

I got my first H1 Stamp from my home country as US consulate appointment department asked me to go to my home country to get visa stamp and they never gave me an appointment for H1 visa stamp in Canada.

My H1 extension approval is expected in a week time.

My question is
* Can I make an appointment at the US consulate in Canada before the (Visa Stamp) expiration (17 Sep 2004).

* I am planning to Land in Canada very soon after my Immigration visa on passport. Do I need PR card to get appointment for H1B visa stamp at a US consulate in Canada.

* Do the US consulate stamp H1B visa on same day. How much time do they take…I got my H1B stamp from my home country in one day.

*I am planning to go to a US consulate before September 17, 2004 so that If they tell me to go back to my home country for visa stamp, I can enter USA on my old valid visa before it is expired...Is my understanding correct?

I really appreciate your help.

I have a slight problem here. I landed in Canada through vancouver on June 01st. I gave my friends address in canada. The problem now is, my friend went on vacation and they tried to deliver my card. No one was there. Does anybody know the phone number inorder for me to contact them to resend the PR card? I would greatly appreciate the help.

How long is it taking nowadays to get the PR card once you have landed? The web site says 30 days but I just wanted to know based on people who have landed and got the card so that I can estimate my time line.

Kosu did it take two months to get your PR card?

Thanks