landing experience

You don't need bank drafts. When I landed they just asked me how much I am taking? I said: 300 $. He wrote on IMM 1000, stamped and returned to me; but this was in July 2000.

Mayank

So if I landing and settling in canada at the same time then it makes sense to take bank draft but if I am just landing but moving permanently at a later date then a bank statement should be sufficient right? No need for bank drafts or cashier's checks?

So if I landing and settling in canada at the same time then it makes sense to take bank draft but if I am just landing but moving permanently at a later date then a bank statement should be sufficient right? No need for bank drafts or cashier's checks?

Thanks mayankdave

One more question has anyone imported their car from the US? I have a 2001 honda accord. Is it better to take it with me or sell it in the US? Pros, Cons....

If I take it with me what is the average cost to import it assuming I am driving it myself to the border hence no freight charges? I have checked out the website (www.riv.ca) and I am trying to calculate it but I was wondering if people could share their experiences and how much it cost them to get the modifications done?

Thanks

My Quebec Landing Experience

The following is the my landing experience at the Montreal airport.

Landing Experience:
-------------------

1. Left US for Montreal. The flight attendant had given the Canadian customs form, which I completed in the flight.

2. Reached Montreal Airport from the US in the evening. Since, there were quite a few flights arriving at that time, there was a big queue for the immigration. Reached the immigration counter after about 30 mins, and the person at the counter looked at my passport and asked what was the purpose of my visit. I told I was immigrating to Quebec, and then he asked how much money I was bringing. I told him I have US$7,000. He did not ask for the cashier's check or any bank statement. He noted on the Custom's form that I was coming with US$7,000. After that he instructed me to to an another line which was specially for immigraton.

3. Went and stood in that line. This queue though not long was moving very slowly. I had to stand for nearly 30 minutes before I reached the counter. At the counter, the immigration officer looked at my passport, took the IMM5292 form. She asked if I had any address in the Quebec area -- I gave my friend's address in Montreal. She noted the address on the IMM5292 and told me that the PR card will come at this address. She gave me one of the copies of the IMM5292 to me. She stamped my passport with the day of landing and wrote the IMM5292 Document# on the passport.

4. After that she took me to an another room where I was asked to sign on a form. This signature is the one that will be on the PR card. Then an another person asked me stand in front of a digital camera and took pictures for the PR card. This completed the landing procedure for Canadian immigration. They also gave a packet which had some basic information about Canada and how to apply for the SIN number. The packet also had the application for the SIN.

5. However, since I had gone through the Quebec immigration process, I had to go another room for the Quebec immigration. There I had to wait for another 30 minutes before I went to counter. There they asked for my CSQ. The lady made a copy of the CSQ and returned the original copy to me. Then she asked if I wanted to get an appointment with the MRCI center which helps the new immigrant getting settled in Quebec. I said I did not want an appointment now and will take later if I needed it.

6. After that I went to the baggage area to retrieve my baggage and then went to the Canadian customs. There an official asked what was the purpose of my trip. I told I was immigrating and then he asked if I had any food items with me. I said no and then he asked what stuff would be following me. I had not prepared any list and I just told him that some books and clothes will only follow me. Then he stamped the IMM5292 and I was done.

7. The above concluded my landing procedure.

8. The next day I went to the office in downtown Montreal to apply for the SIN number. The person at the counter looked at my application, entered some information in the computer and asked me to wait. After about 10 minutes, an official called my name, and I went to her cubicle. She looked at my application and checked it. Then she asked for my passport and the copy of the IMM5292 that I had with me. She looked at them and then gave them back to me. She also gave me a receipt for the SIN application, and told me that I should be getting the SIN in about 3-4 weeks at the address that I had mentioned on the form. So basically, the whole process was over in 15 minutes (10 minutes for waiting and 5 minutes with the official)

9. Then the next day I called department responsible for issuing the medical insurance card. They asked me whether I had already taken an apartment myself or was living with a friend. I said that I was living with a friend. The person on the phone then said that I would have ask my friend to give a letter certifying that I was staying with him, and also that my friend would have to get this letter notoarized. Once the letter has been notarized, she said that I should come to their office to apply for the medical insurance card. She also said that the medical insurance card will not be applicable for 3 months. Since I plan to take my own apartment in the next few days, I postponed the application, and will apply when I finally move into my own place.

Hope the above information is helpful to some.....

very pleasant one.
If u focus some light abt Quebec immigration and its success/failure rates , it will greatful for the people who are apoplying on Quebec

Tahnks
Ravi

Why would......

pardon my ignorance, but why would anyone specifically apply for Quebec , please share benefit migrating to Quebec v/s rest of Canada.

SIN

We are planning to land this weekend and planning to use our friends address in Nepean. Since we are landing in Toronto airport I am planning to apply for SIN in office close to airport. Is it possible ? can I apply for SIN in any office ?

please suggest me

Hi,

I am in a strange situation with which I am not sure how to handle. My wife and I, primary applicant, landed in Canada in Jan 2004 and came back to the U.S immediately. Though I got my PR card, we were received a letter saying that my wife has to appear at the Toronto imigration office on April 6th to give another picture and sign on the docs as the old picture was not good to issue PR card. Here is the catch now. My wife has gone to India for 3 months and will be back on May 26th. I am confused and a bit worried too. I am not sure what needs t obe done at this point.

Any suggestions please?

Regards.

Fax them ...

Amma,

I think you should send a fax message to CIC, stating that your wife has gone to India to attend a family function. Don't mention that she boarded her flight from USA. When the PR Stamp is made on the passport and when we have the landing papers on hand, we can travel outside canada. But, to FLY back into Canada, we should have the maple card. This is what the immigration officer told me, when i landed 2 weeks ago at Canada. So, when your wife is back, you can drive to canada by car and finish the photo session

Hello meow_meow,

I really appreciate your suggestion and thanks a lot for taking your time to answer my question. As you suggested, I will send a fax stating that my wife is out of country. I hope they will respond postively and hope this whole thing works out for us. Once again thanks for your suggestion.

Regards.

Hello All

I am new to this thread. Thanks for sharing your experience. Can any one let me know the procedure to apply Canadian PR card while staying in US ? While GC(Labor) processing in US, is it possible to apply for Canadian PR ?

Thanks in advance,

Hi meow

I read somewhere that there is a limited entry visa that you can apply for 50 dollars a person if someone needs to reenter Canada without the PR card

I wanted to confirm if this is possible? Has anyone else heard of that

Thanks

Hi Srini88

I am not sure whether we can reenter Canada using a flight, if we have that one time permit.

Also, the U.S side is also getting strict, did you see my landing experience and return to U.S. We think it is none of the business for the U.S immi officer to ask about Canadian PR, if our U.S GC process is in Progress. But, they are making an entry in their system if we have Canadian PR and entering US with AP. They provoke you but we have to remain cool.

BTW, I got my PR cards in exactly 2 weeks!

hi meow_meow:

Thanks for posting your experiences. I have a question about the PR card. Does the E-client status show any status about the PR card like when it was approved or mailed...

Would be grateful if you could provide some info on the above.

Thanks,
afs32

Afs32:
Yes online status shows when they received your application and when and whether they approved your application.

Meow_Meow:
You can enter Canada on commercial carrier(bus/train/plane) with one time permit for 50 $. Also you don't need PR card/permit if you are entering Canada by private vehicle(car/rental car) on your IMM 1000.

IND77:
You can apply for Canadian PR.

the e client will show if your application has been approved but it wont show when will they mail your PR card.

Originally posted by afs32
hi meow_meow:

Thanks for posting your experiences. I have a question about the PR card. Does the E-client status show any status about the PR card like when it was approved or mailed...

Would be grateful if you could provide some info on the above.

Thanks,
afs32

Thanks mayandave and avilla09 for your response.

Do you guys know approximately how long after landing will the e-client be updated with the status about the PR-card. I landed on 10th March 2004 - however, the e-client does not show any information about the PR card. It does indicate the fact that I entered Canada on March 10, and became a permanent resident.

Thanks for all your help.