landing experience

Kalpesh,

Have you received PR card yet? I also landed at Vancouver in Dec 2003, but haven't received PR card yet.

Regards.

Landing Question?

I have sent my Passport for immigration visa stamping and I am planning to land in March or April... My friend is a U.S Greencard Holder and he wants to visit Toronto for the first time. Is it okay if i travel in his car (or a car rented on his name) and cross the border? How to apply for the SIN? Which is the nearest office, where i can apply for the SIN? Can i have more than one ornament in one picture?

Gurus Please advise! Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Questions ?

I am planning to land the coming Saturday with my wife.
hold an H1 visa which is going to expire in May but my company has already filed for my extension.
The questions I had were :
1) How much money should I carry in cashier's cheque ?
2) Should I give my I-94 at departure ?
3) Do I need any other dosuments apart from my I-797 at re-entry?
Would really appreciate any answers.

Thanks

Can I enter US on Canadian PR Card?

I entered Canada on July 22, 2000. I have applied for my PR card on July 24, 2003. My PR card is ready to be picked up. My company has applied for my H1 but have not received yet.

My questions are:

* Can I enter back to US from Canada on my Canadian PR card? I will only have receipt from USCIS saying my company has applied for H1B1. My original I-94 has expired.
* What are the problems in entering Canada by private vehicle and back in the same vehicle to US which has California Number plate?
* Can/will they deny entery to US/Canada?

Thanks a lot.

Mayank

Re: Can I enter US on Canadian PR Card?

Originally posted by mayankdave
I entered Canada on July 22, 2000. I have applied for my PR card on July 24, 2003. My PR card is ready to be picked up. My company has applied for my H1 but have not received yet.

My questions are:

* Can I enter back to US from Canada on my Canadian PR card? I will only have receipt from USCIS saying my company has applied for H1B1. My original I-94 has expired.
* What are the problems in entering Canada by private vehicle and back in the same vehicle to US which has California Number plate?
* Can/will they deny entery to US/Canada?

Thanks a lot.

Mayank

Unfortunately you have to have valid US visa to enter US. You may apply B1/B2 visa if you want to enter US before H1 is available and then go back to get H1 visa when it is ready. I have a friend who had the same situation.

Your car could be a problem since the US border officer will ask you how long time you have been in Canada and may check your car registration. My friend drove his car with Canadian plate to US and later he change it to US plate. But he reported it to Canada Customs before he drove it cross the border so he would not have probelm to bring it back.

I am interested that you could keep your car with US license plate for more than 3 years without Canadian registration after you landed. I was told that landed Canadian immigrants with cars have to register their cars in Canadian and change to Canadian license plate in a short term because Canadian auto admin dept will send notice to them and they will get problem if they don't register their cars. I am going to land in April and wondering the consequencies if I drive my own car for landing and drive it back to US. Thanks.

Moona

Monna:

Thanks for your response.

In my case: I never drove my car any time. This may be the 1st time I will drive to Canada in my car. Earlier I have always used rental cars.

Mayank

Any old timers: help needed on PR card pickup

Greetings to all,
I got letter to pickup our PR cards any day after mid February. Since we work in USA can we go early morning on saturday and pick our cards at CIC in Toronto. Or do they give PR cards on only week days? Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Wall:)

Planning to Land in March'04.

I am planning to land during the 2nd week of March with my spouse.

1) We will be travelling with a U.S Friend (who is a U.S GC Holder) in a Rental car, rented on his name. Is this Okay?
2) I have taken the pictures of all the Jewels and made a list of the electronic items - with the Serial numbers.
3) If i include my Car in the goods to follow, is there any specific period before which i should bring the car to Canada? I might even sell the car in the U.S. on a later date.
4) Can I land at Niagara border anytime (Say early hours of the day?)

Gurus, please provide your valuable answers.

30 day revalidation rule

I am planning to land in next couple of weeks. I have got my H1 approval (I797), but dont have valid visa stamped (old H1 visa stamp has expired).
I was wondering if anybody has recently used 30 day rule to reenter US after landing only on the basis of valid I94.
Please reply at the earliest and thanking you all.

fromeast

Hi fromeast,
yes I received my PR card at my relative's address few days ago. I haven't received in my hands though. It took about a month.

Kalpesh

Kalpesh,

Congratulations!

I haven't received mine yet. It has been 2 months since I landed in Vancouver by road.

I just recently got my passports back with the PR stamp on it. There is also a document with it which says that my name on the visa stamp on the passport might be truncated due to the length of the name however the name on the document must be spelt out in its entierity.

In my case its the reverse where the name on the canadian visa stamp on the passport is complete but the name on the document is truncated, will this cause any issues?

Can I just tell the the visa officer when I land how my name should be spelt out?

Thanks

Understanding 30 day revalidation rule

Please correct me...I may be wrong..but my understanding was 30 day revalidation rule applies to reenter US with valid I94 (I have got with new H1 extension approval) if one satisfies all the following conditions...

1.if one doesnt have valid (may have expired visa) visa in the passport
2. Has been visiting canada for less then 30 days
3. & have not visited US consulate in Canada for visa stamping purpose.

Anybody else also please advise at the earliest.

Thanking you all

There was some discussion on this on the Buffalo tracker thread. Some said that it holds true while others said that it has been discontinued. I too am in the same situation where I have an expired visa and I am not sure if I should take the chance and go to canada and apply for a h1b visa over there or try to see if the automatic revalidation works?

I don't want to send the passports to St Louis as I will be cutting it too close to my landing.

I guess the only assured option is to go India and get it done there.

Hi Experts,

I received my Passport Stamped with Landing Papers this week and planning to land by next month and port of entry will be Calgary, Alberta. My questions are

1. I am planning to return to US in 3/4 days
2. I can use my brother in laws address ( Who is living in Calgary ) for Permenant Resident Card
3. Can we apply for SIN & Health Card if we are planning to return in 3/4 days and only planning to settle permently next year
4. Do we need tell the Immigration officers that we will be going back because of the existing comittments in US
5. Do we need to take cashers cheque or Travelers check or show them the proof of funds ( Account Statements, Stock Accounts etc )

I appreciate your responses

* You can use any address of Canada for PR card. Even if your port of entry is Van Couver, you can give address of Toronto.
* You can apply for SIN and health card in few days.
* You don't need to tell Canadian immigration that you are coming back in few days. They will come to know when you come back. :p
* They will ask how much money you are taking with you. You can tell the amount and show travellers cheques.

Mayank

Please help

Anyone please advise.
My I - 485 is in final stage (applied it in Nov. 2002). I applied for canada PR and got approval. I sent my passport and and my wifes for stamping and we received them last week. We have landing time till 21 st of November 2004.
1) So my question is can we land in Canada while my US green card is under process ?
2) When do we get our canada PR status ? By getting a stamping in passport or after we land in Canada ??
3) After getting stamping in passport if I have decided to not to land in Canada, can I ask for land fee return which I paid.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

Landed in Canada...

Landed in Canada on 03/11/04 by Rental Car. Crossed the Queenston-Lewiston bridge around 10 AM. Immigration and Customs process took about 35-40 Minutes. Gave the Landing papers/Passport/Cashiers Check to the Lady at the counter and after some verifications in the computer she asked to sign the landing papers and gave the papers back to me. I gave the "list to follow" to the Customs officer (A Spreadsheet with the Serial number of goods and the value against it. He appreciated that and told that i have made his job easy!)and he didn't ask any photos of the jewels. Applied for SIN the next day. I had a very Pleasant Experience. Please read the next post for U.S Experience.

Here is my timeline:--

Applied in May 2002.
Number assigned : November 05, 2002.
Medicals done on : November 02, 2003.
Mailed the FBI Clearance/Indian PCC on Dec 24th 2003
INTERVIEW / IELTS Waived.
Received the request to pay ROLF: Jan 21 2004.
Mailed the Cashier checks for ROLF on (by Regular mail): Jan 26 2004
Passport Request received on : February 02 2004.
Express Mail(Passport+photos):February 05 2004.
Received by CIC :February 06 2004.
Got the passport with stamp(EXpress mail) :February 14 2004.
(I should land on or before Nov 10 2004).
Landed on March 11th 2004
Applied for SIN Card on March 12th 2004

My Special thanks to Mr.Rajiv Khanna , Nita(Pitt), India-USA, S.Ray and I thank all of you for sharing the information in this Forum.

Cheers,
Meow_Meow

:)

Back to US!

When I returned to America, i have to encounter a young Immigration officer at the booth. (He should be Chinese/Vietnamese). He asked me what my status was - i replied that the status is Adjustment of Status pending. He then asked what documents do i carry - told that i carry the Advance Parole document. he pretended as if he didn't understand anything and after looking at the I-131 AP Papers he told "Oh! Oh! you have the parole papers!". Then he asked to park the car and go to the US Immigration/Customs office. We have to wait there for 25-30 minutes and an American officer was looking into our papers. Suddenly this young guy came in and he was doing R&D on the passports. He then called me and told that since i am a Canadian PR, i can't have US Greencard at the same time. Then he asked me to wait and started to do the R&D again...
At the end he put the AP seal on the same page where the Canadian PR was sealed and told me that when i get US greencard i can keep only one and he made a note of this in the system. Any comments please!

I needed some clarification on the traveller's checks/bank drafts. If I am only planning to land and then return to the US why do I need to take bank drafts with me? Can I only take bank statements to show proof of funds?

Since I am not going to be moving immediately do I still need to take bank draft with me?