Indian visa after us citizen

SF granded 5 years Entry Visa( US Citizen based from Asylum)

Hi Folks,

Good news... my brother got 5 years entry visa within one week from SF consulate. He came to US when he was 17 years old. He sent copy of GC, Cancelled indian passport and Birth Certificate copies.

Thanks to everyone for great suggestions. I pray to god whoever waiting for their visas should get soon, so they can meet their loved ones back home.

Congrats PJ. I am very happy for you and your brother.

Please keep checking this forum and I am sure lot of asylee applicants will be asking info for their visa applications.

Hi Folks,

Good news... my brother got 5 years entry visa within one week from SF consulate. He came to US when he was 17 years old. He sent copy of GC, Cancelled indian passport and Birth Certificate copies.

Thanks to everyone for great suggestions. I pray to god whoever waiting for their visas should get soon, so they can meet their loved ones back home.

Asylum based US citizen back to COP

I had sent in a copy, since I do not have my indian passport. I had applied for renewel couple years ago and they kept it. I am derivative asylee.
I believe they will not issue OCI to asylee or derviatives, because for that you need to have cancelled passport or renounciation certificate. Asylee or derviative asylee does not get that, only indian visa on US passport.
Thats my understanding from this whole process.
Has anyone been denied Indian visa on us passport by NY Consulate? or any other in recent months?

Hi star215! I have appiled for tourist visa on US passport in NY consulate after obtained asylum based US citizenship. They have been very rude and have no answer at this time. Could you please help me with your experience in details, Tks.

hi everybody.

i got my visa from sf consulate, and my sister too. but we applied/paid for 5 year visa but they gave us only for 1 year?? i took us almost 35 days to get it. and howz the ny consulate. we might need to apply there for my family members i heard its faster process over there.

hi gabby09,

Can you share what documents is sf consulate asking for visa. Do we need surrender certificate, how about Indian passport with asylum granted stamped on it. Will they accept it ?

hi gabby09,

Can you share what documents is sf consulate asking for visa. Do we need surrender certificate, how about Indian passport with asylum granted stamped on it. Will they accept it ?

we gave them all the paper work required which is on travisa website. we had asylee stamp on our indian passport which we surrenderd on the same day we applied for visa. we gave them greencard copy too. i was 16 when i came to usa and my sister was 19. i went to the consulate 3 times. first time the guy downstair told me they are gonna investigate it might take 9 months or soo. second time i talk to the punjabi guy who works there he took my application number. i sent alot of emails to india external affiars offices. they told me that they wrote a letter to mrs thomas. but i am not sure who got it done. it took us 35 days.

Dear jim89,

I have appiled for tourist visa on US passport in NY consulate after obtained asylum based US citizenship in April 2010. They have been very rude and have no answer at this time. Could you please help me with your experience in details, Tks.

Dear All

This is the best news after a long time. I got my 5 yrs entry visa. The whole process took only 4 days. If you need more info please send me a pvt message.

I will always be supporting this forum to fight the discrimination.

Thanks and Good Luck to All.[/QUOTE]

Hello Kash

Since you have already applied your only option is to wait. They will give you the visa one day after they finish their procedure for asylum based Entry Visa. It can be few days to few weeks. Kindly update the forum after receiving the visa.

Dear jim89,

I have appiled for tourist visa on US passport in NY consulate after obtained asylum based US citizenship in April 2010. They have been very rude and have no answer at this time. Could you please help me with your experience in details, Tks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey everybody Happy Holidays!! What did happen to this forum it just went quite all of a sudden looks like everybody has got their Visas & are in India please keep this alive & share your experiences so we all can benefit from it so guys keep on updating please !!!!!I am still waiting for my Entry Visa(Applied August 18Th 2010) but have my fingers crossed & praying as the SF consulate people tell u ab to Sab Bhagwan ke haath mein hai LOL!!!!!!!& that office is Sushma Thomas CGISF God's visa services!!!!!!U can send me a personal message if it is something u r not comfortable sharing on the forum which might be helpful !!!!1

ya the forum is very slow.

i heard there was meeting in tracy last week on 24th nov. and i heard they said that they recived order from indian govt that stop all the visa for asylees. my sister is still waiting for visa from ny consulate.

Hey guys, check the Travisa website. The special rule for for entry visas at the SF consulate has been removed.

El Cafe - what special rule are you referring to? I checked the Travisa Web site just moments ago and looks like they still require proof of original legal entry into the US.

Woosterlad

Oh ya, that's true. They've removed the special note from the other jurisdictions as it used to be before, and made it appear only for those who choose a State under San Francisco's jurisdiction. That sucks.

Indian Visa for Derivative Asylee

Hello KASH10 & Everyone Else

As I had stated earlier I am a derivative asylee, obtained Entry visa from NY consulate. They knew about my asylee status. I believe my application took a little longer in July than others because of that reason. It took me about a month, where others were getting done in week or two at most. I went to India in summer and got married. I feel for all those who are waiting for their visa and postponing their wedding plans becuase of the delays. I do not believe NY consulate is refusing visas to asylees. I think they are doing inqueries case by case, but will eventually give visa. I have not heard anyone so far being denied visa, just a lengthy waiting period. We need to go along. I read all posts to catch up on what we have been disscussing. I had written letters to Mrs. Meera Shankar in DC, NY Consulate, my congressman, US ambassador in New Delhi to raise the issue there. No replies, but visa was granted. I will give more details and comment on others posts this weekend.

KASH? when did you apply, please provide approximate date when you applied, and what documents did you submit. I am assuming you applied through Travisa.
Have you obtained your surrender certificate?

Hi star215! I have appiled for tourist visa on US passport in NY consulate after obtained asylum based US citizenship. They have been very rude and have no answer at this time. Could you please help me with your experience in details, Tks.

I do not believe that Indian consulates are somehow trying to make a database of asylees by giving visas to their children who immigrated while they were under the age of 18. The notion that somehow when they give visas to spouse or children of asylum seekers to find information on the original asylum seeker through bio pages of the passport since they contain parents and spouse info is silly. I do not have any evidence to mention to why I think contrary to everyone else where, but that is just my gut feeling. I believe Indian consulates will eventually give visas to everyone (except those couple hundred that are blacklisted).
The problem is obvious. Yes, I agree Indian government prosecuted a lot of Punjabis upto and after 1984 for unmentioned crimes, and without going through court system. Mostly it was done by encounters. I remember it happened once in our village and twice outside and many more times around. There were two different types of people going on killing spree. One was the Punjab police killing everyone and their families who was involved with free khalistan (Sikh state to be cut of India), even they ones who would come in contact with them or provided any type of aid. The other group rarely mentioned was Khalistan force, they would go on killing spree to target anyone who worked for police, like was their eyes and ears in villages. However with incidents that I know personally, they only killed targeted individuals, not their families.
Why am I mentioning all that?
Simply because all those that were or are victims of those crimes rarely made it to USA, Canada or UK. A lot of them died in encounters, or were arrested, or still live in India. Few were able to escape. But truth is it was not anywhere close to size of the population that was seeking asylum outside India. I live in a town where there are I think over 20 families, and I know none of them were actually the victims of Indian Police tracking them or Khalistan force. Most asylum seekers were fake, it is hard to swallow but that is the truth.
As far as blacklisting goes, people that are on blacklist are either convicted khalistan force members who did escape India or are the ones who later joined and advocated the movement through violent means, funding extremists in and around Indian border. Indian government is not becoming paranoid. During this summer there was a surge of activities around the Punjab border to Pakistan. A lot of firearms, and other weapons were seized, there was an indication of Khalistan movement uprising. Once I was granted visa, I went to India, and I did find out those incidents reported were true.
Indian government had intelligence reports that people from outside were coming in to support the movement. In panic, they ended up shutting down visas to all asylees.
On another note, this entry visa was not designed to thwart to asylees. This was long over due, it so happened that during implementation they were receiving too much pressure from Indian MEA, that consulates took up to themselves to decide who posted threat to India, and thus denied visas.
I think SFO consulate is tougher, because they are the ones who receive constant bash from Punjabis for their 1984 Shri Amritsar Sahib massacre. In NY we do not have that problem, consulate has not been there long enough to get fed up by these people who come and accuse him of something that happened 26 years ago. At the end of the day, consulates are humans, if they insulated regularly for something they have no control over, they will take actions that have control over. It is common sense. So far, I have not met anyone whom NY consulate denied visa. In extreme cases, they are told about inquiry that would have to be done before issuance. Please just wait.
Understand these circumstances from both sides. While reading all the posts, I did think about what if a visa applicant (asylee/derviative asylee) was to attach a police clearance certificate (issued from local police in India) to the application. Would that help ease Indian consulate fear of giving visas to wrong people? I am going to be recommending to future applicants, lets see if that speeds up the process.

I also think my application for visa was quickly processed (even though they knew I was under A6 category) because they had already done police clearance for me when I had applied for passport couple years earlier.

Hey Guys, I applied in person at Travisa in SF for entry visa and was issued the same day, I also had the renounciation form and the fee with the visa application (called Travisa before and the lady there told me to do so, as it was faster rather than doing it separately to cancel your indian passport). I think it is easier to get when you go in person, this is wht i attached with my visa application: Orignal 10year indian passport and its photo copies, US passport, copy of my greencard(AS6), 2 copies of renounciation form with $175 fee, copy of utility bill. They took my application and told me to pickup the passport with the visa at 5:30pm same day. I got a email from travisa around 4pm that they received my passport with the visa from the consulate and they verified that all information is correct. Hopefully this info helps.

No it did not, I got it after getting asylum, it was easier back then for asylees to get the Indian passport.