Indian visa after us citizen

While reading all the posts, I did think about what if a visa applicant (asylee/derviative asylee) was to attach a police clearance certificate (issued from local police in India) to the application. Would that help ease Indian consulate fear of giving visas to wrong people? I am going to be recommending to future applicants, lets see if that speeds up the process.

How does a person ling in USA get Police clearance from India? I don't think this is a good solution.

You can. That is what they do when do inquiry.
For example, when you loose Indian passport, and do not apply for a while or missing some documents. They send an inquiry back in India. Same is done for OCI, I think.
Basically, local police station sends two guys to your Indian residence (or your family residence). They ask few questions, and send a report saying the person is clear. When I applied, they send a police inquiry back in India to my village. I moved here when I was 14, but they still did it. Eventually I got my passport. Somehow it gives them assurence about the character of the person, :)
BTW, it costs about 1000 ruppees to get a page saying you are clear. Your relatives can get it done with in days even with you not being there. Now sure if it will help.

How does a person ling in USA get Police clearance from India? I don't think this is a good solution.

No it did not, I got it after getting asylum, it was easier back then for asylees to get the Indian passport.

Then no wonder you didn't have a problem. The issue is with those who have "asylum granted" stamped on passport. Consulate is not issuing SC or visa to them or at least that's what I know.

Then no wonder you didn't have a problem. The issue is with those who have "asylum granted" stamped on passport. Consulate is not issuing SC or visa to them or at least that's what I know.

I showed them copy of my greencard though, with AS6 on it and I know some people waiting for visa for long time with no stamps of that kind on their passports. Is there anyone who applied in person at Travisa office and was put on wait.

1999: Came to US, derivative asylee, passport stamped: "ASYLUM STATUS granted ... valid upto 2000"
2000: I-94 Expires (stamp on passport)
2003: Indian Passport Expired
04-2006: Received green card (dated 04-2005)
09-2006: Applied for Duplicate passport in person (Original passport lost)
02-2007: Sent Fax Inquiry for passport application status, call came and told inquiry is done, come for Interview
04-2007: 1 year Indian passport Issued (NYC consulate) after completing inqueries in India
06-2007: Visited India for 1.5 months with green card, A8 category, (US to Amritsar)
04-2008: 1 year Indian passport expired.
07-2008: Applied for extension on 1 year passport
Showed greencard at window
Woman wrote A8 on application and told to come for Interview.
At interview, officer denied service, passport not returned.
05-2010: Became US Citizen
06-2010: Received 5 year X Entry Visa
07-2010: Visited India, got married
09-2010: Applied for wife, I-130 (pending at California Service Center)

1999: Came to US, derivative asylee, passport stamped: "ASYLUM STATUS granted ... valid upto 2000"
2000: I-94 Expires (stamp on passport)
2003: Indian Passport Expired
04-2006: Received green card (dated 04-2005)
09-2006: Applied for Duplicate passport in person (Original passport lost)
02-2007: Sent Fax Inquiry for passport application status, call came and told inquiry is done, come for Interview
04-2007: 1 year Indian passport Issued (NYC consulate) after completing inqueries in India
06-2007: Visited India for 1.5 months with green card, A8 category, (US to Amritsar)
04-2008: 1 year Indian passport expired.
07-2008: Applied for extension on 1 year passport
Showed greencard at window
Woman wrote A8 on application and told to come for Interview.
At interview, officer denied service, passport not returned.
05-2010: Became US Citizen
06-2010: Received 5 year X Entry Visa
07-2010: Visited India, got married
09-2010: Applied for wife, I-130 (pending at California Service Center)

When you applied for visa, did consulate ask for expired indian passport?

I applied through Travisa. They held my application, sent me an e-mail saying I need to submit my Indian passport for cancellation. I called and told them NYC consulate has it and they should submit my application "as is". I also had sent a receipt of my Indian passport application submission two years ago. At that time when I went for renewal, I paid the fees and was given a fee receipt.
Travisa said, they can not process, consulate wants passport or renunciation certificate. It went on for like four weeks, and I kept calling to find out if they were not processing it or consulate was returning because of lacking passport.
I never called NYC consulate about the pending application. Eventually I got a call saying, NYC consulate will accept the application. I do not know what changed, but somehow it went to consulate and came back with visa. I was checking online status on Travisa, and it read "Outsourcing office has received visa application, but cannot
process further. Application is on hold" till the day it was sent to consulate.

Did everybody get visa now? I heard of some woman with "connections" who charges $2500 for Indian visa. Some people have payed her, so I will know for sure once visa is given. She also charges $5000 for Indian passport. Again, I just learned about these details through other asylees who are seeking visa. Once I know it works, I will post.

Just got visa for five years

I just got visa for five years.

Last edited by a moderator:
this indian visa for US citizens of asian origin or any other legal residents have become a pain in the a**. I know a young tibetan couple who are US CITIZENS dropped their visa for india, but they heared nothing about it for over a month at least and after going to the embassy so many times, one final day just before their flight to india, they went to embassy for last appeal for visa cos they have flight to catch, they were made to wait hours and eventually got their 1 month visa and damage was already done to them cos they missed their AA flight and had to pay over $600 extra for next flight. They are peaceful people born in india after all and absolutely no threat to india . They were saying they will raise this issue with US senators! For asylees, it is over 2 to 3 months wait and after that they will tell you to bring emergency invitation letter from india. India, a nation of biggest democracy does this kind of nonsense thing? Do they think US legal residents and citizens will overstay their visa? lol!

Hey Guys, I applied in person at Travisa in SF for entry visa and was issued the same day, I also had the renounciation form and the fee with the visa application (called Travisa before and the lady there told me to do so, as it was faster rather than doing it separately to cancel your indian passport). I think it is easier to get when you go in person, this is wht i attached with my visa application: Orignal 10year indian passport and its photo copies, US passport, copy of my greencard(AS6), 2 copies of renounciation form with $175 fee, copy of utility bill. They took my application and told me to pickup the passport with the visa at 5:30pm same day. I got a email from travisa around 4pm that they received my passport with the visa from the consulate and they verified that all information is correct. Hopefully this info helps.

Hi Asylee_Boy... was ur old Indian NP issued by the same SFO consulate ?

us citizen without indian visa

I am a us citizen by birth came on my mother passport to india, ever since don't have indian visa...now planning to return to us on my us passport....do i require visa to exit india.....

reply to star 215

i am in same situation bro. i applied for entry visa. and now they callin me for gc copy. so i said i dont have it since im citizen now. so now they asking for indian passport. i have heard from some people that when they see the passport w asylee stamp on it. they going to refuse visa. since i am also a derivative asylee. any suggestion abt wat to do.

Hey Guys, I applied in person at Travisa in SF for entry visa and was issued the same day, I also had the renounciation form and the fee with the visa application (called Travisa before and the lady there told me to do so, as it was faster rather than doing it separately to cancel your indian passport). I think it is easier to get when you go in person, this is wht i attached with my visa application: Orignal 10year indian passport and its photo copies, US passport, copy of my greencard(AS6), 2 copies of renounciation form with $175 fee, copy of utility bill. They took my application and told me to pickup the passport with the visa at 5:30pm same day. I got a email from travisa around 4pm that they received my passport with the visa from the consulate and they verified that all information is correct. Hopefully this info helps.

this seems like a good news to me. i am also waiting for my entry visa,they asking for green card copy, i told them i dont have it, now they asking for indian passport. so i guess i should send it. it doesn't seem like a problem. but i also heard from someone i know that they dont give the visa once they see the gc copy. im so confused, dont know who to believe. any suggestions.

I am so sorry for this outcome. is this done by NYC or SF consulate?
There is a woman and his adult son, also asylees, who got visa from NYC consulates. Once I know details, I will post here.