Immigrants return back to Indian, China to find prosperity

Although Generator/Invertor (noise free or not) and electronic mosquito repellents (made in China or elsewhere) can be used to cope with electric outage and mosquitos problems, yet still this doesn't excuse any govt. to deprive its citizens the right to have basic necessity of life. Secondly, not many people in India could afford these temporary solution given the fact most people in India are still living under poverty. Thirdly, these solutions are temporary in nature. What it means is-a generator or an invertor can operate for a short time...only a few hours. So, if electricity be off 20 times a day then it cannot be charged to operate another few hours as well. And without electricity, electronic mosquito repellents won't work either.

Further, it's just so hard (financially-wise) to have mosquito repellents for whole day. And how to avoid mosquitos outside the house??? Moreover, just because some people could be okay with all this electric outage and mosquitos things or could adjust themselves temporary with generator/inventor and mosquito repellents, that doesn't mean everyone can and everyone should be when it's the job of govt. to provide the basic necessity to its own citizens.

To me, it's so sad and shameful that Indian govt. could spend trillions of dollars on improving its intrafructure but don't do nothing to provide basic necessity to its citizens. All one could hear, they are trying but not to their best...which is bs...We don't hear this about their intrafracture projects, instead their those projects have been going their best...

I've nothing against India; instead I love India because it's my motherland as my parents were originally from India. And even though I'm born here, I go to India at least 7-8 times a year. I've lived there for many years while growing up. Many of my extended family works for Indian govt. I've so many friends and big circle there, but that doesn't mean I should be shy from the truth especially when I always stand up for my conviction. Thus, I say that even though India has improved so much and came so far, yet still India still doesn't provide basic necessity.

I've so far only touched the subject about India not providing its citizens the basic necessity of life and haven't talked about other more big problems/issues in there yet. For example, the corruption at all levels. A year ago someone of my family died there by suicide. Police took the body for ruling out any possiblilty but they didn't want to release the body without getting paid a huge amount of money first. Corruption is so much that I cannot even mention here. Everything and everyone is for sell there including judges.

Moving back to homeland is a matter of personal choice. Some Indians move back to India because of their family, while other move there for cultural and other reasons. One situation/reasoning doesn't fit for all. Not everyone can get job upon returning to their homeland...at least not in the same field or not for the salary they could get elsewhere. I've a close friend who decided 5 months ago to move permanently to India after living in the US for 27 years. He moved there with his wife and children. His children didn't like living there. He is not that educated person and he has always being a business man in the US, thus he couldn't get any job in India. He lost all his savings in the stock a few months back which made him to go back to India for good. Right after 4 months, he moved back here as it was getting so hard for him to even survive even though he has so much real-estate properties but he couldn't sell them off at that time.

Then I also came to know a lady who is not educated at all and living in the US for the last 29 yrs while working as a babysitter/housekeeper. She has been supporting 14 of her family members. Now she is 65 years old and so sick, but still working. She has been desiring to go back to India for the last 15 years but couldn't go because she says that she couldn't make the money that she makes here. She makes $2200/a month while in India she will make only Rs. 2000/a month or a bit more which equivalent to $50. So her going back home wouldn't help her financially. One size doesn't fit all. India might have improved but it's so-so far away from US in every level.

Having said that, people who are either skilled or those who can get a good paying job are okay being in India; otherwise life is still so hard for normal people, trust me particularly I've witnessed all this by my own by going to India 7-8 times a year for many years. I know many people who moved back to India but then I also know so many people who moved back to US after moving back to India for a while. Hence, as to whether moving to India is good or not is a matter of an individual's personal circumstances and choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is no comparison between US and India..I used to love India..I still love it..But lets all be realistic..
India infrastructure still sucks..Everyone knows that India has a rainy season..I am from Bombay..and every year Bombay rains causes havocs..hundreds of people die..nothing changes..

Travel by train is pathetic and got worse compared to my college days..

Corruption is at its peak..recently couple of my relatives were murdered in their house..and the police asked money to hand over their dead bodies..PATHETIC..

Power, drinking water is still an issue..Women cannot freely travel due to lack of restrooms..How many places even in the cities have a restroom..except for those malls..

There has been some sure developments..there has been lots of infrastructure projects..new roads..new bridges..even there is a metro project comming up in Bombay..The easternn express highway has 4 + 2 lanes..even dedicated lanes for rickshaws and buses..But how many people do follow that..I had to instruct my driver every 5 minutes to follow the lane..then finally I gave up..Because nobody was doing it..

India has lots of inherent problems..Please dont think of me as a pessimistic..but the fact is that I dont really think that India will be anywhere similar to USA in my life time..I will really be happy if that happens..But i dont think so..

Of course there are restrooms and good overall infrastructure in the US and there is less corruption in the lower levels, but there is profound corruption as you go up in the government. It is detrimental too. A financial market is crushed by greed and corruption. Corporations have been reckless for years feeding on the corrupt regulatory machine.
So far there is uninterrupted electricity available for those who can afford. It comes to mind about a WWII veteran and his wife died frozen a couple of weeks ago because they could not afford pay the utility bill. There are things , even the very basic ones that a lot of citizens cannot afford in this country. And that number is growing.
Infrastructure in India needs enormous development. A lot of people cannot afford a lot of things in India. Then so is it in the US and anywhere in the world. The gap between the rich and the poor will take years to close. But isn't it widening at larger scale in the US? People are struggling to make a living. A lot of them are out of job. You are OK in this country as long as you are healthy and employed. Otherwise you are miserable. How many of you can say with confidence that you can survive if none in the family is employed. I am sure most people in this group (immigrants) are far better off than the regular population. People are living pay check to pay check. Most are doomed if they miss a paycheck. I know many who once considered themselves better off m are suffering every day because they lost their jobs. I feel realistic when I see so many homeless walking in the street on my way to work. The crime rate in the state I live in all time high. There are some areas of the city where COPS are even afraid to go. Drugs, poverty, crimes, unemployment are carving some of these societies. I don't think anybody would think it is not a reality. What about the kids born to single moms who are less than 15 years old. What about the alarming rate of high school dropouts because of drugs, poverty, teen pregnancy and lack of strong families. I have a friend who is a teacher at a public school. He tells me stories about kids that are hard to imagine. And then we have dump alleys where hospitals and nursing homes dump old, disabled and the sick people who cannot afford to pay.
What about the retirees. How much do you think you need to have in terms of savings to retire in this country? And how many have it?
The suicidal rate among male population is all time high. Health coverage is becoming a luxury afforded by a very few. In some states the situations in the ER rooms are comparable to third world countries. Economies of some states are worse and behind that of developing countries. Locals governments are struggling to keep even the law enforcements officers and first responders on the payroll.
The Infrastructure in this country is crumbling due to age and lack of proper maintenance. Things have been taken for granted for a log time. Most highways and bridges are decades old and are on the verge of imminent collapse. So is most government building? The national debt is over 11 Trillion i.e. $35,808.21 per Capita. http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/
I think it goes true for all the nations that the poor will be suffering no matter where. And think of the countries where some of us have travelled to, lived or come from. They have problems too, sometimes far worse in those countries.

But the arguments made are pertaining to those who visit this forum. Mostly educated professionals who are pretty much better of no matter where they are. No everybody in the US can afford a generator let alone basic utilities. But for the people that can afford these things (Most in this forum); they will be far better off in India because they can afford so many things for a lot less. Whether it is health care, basic necessities, education for children. My wife and I have decent jobs in the US and we belong to the top 5% of the tax group. I for one, I am sure will be far better off in India (God Willing).

I for one, I am sure will be far better off in India (God Willing).

You know, you spent the entire time lamenting on how there's electricity in the US only if you can afford it, yet you didn't tell us if the same is true for India. Or do they provide electricity in India free of charge? The same goes for everything else you said, including greed and corruption. There's corruption in the US, but there are also well-established, developed and time-tested mechanisms to fight it. Is the same true for India? One cannot deny the fact that India is a better choice for some people who find that they like their homeland better, for whatever reasons. Because no matter how poor or underdeveloped, it is still one's homeland. But let's be a bit more realistic, please.

You know, you spent the entire time lamenting on how there's electricity in the US only if you can afford it, yet you didn't tell us if the same is true for India. Or do they provide electricity in India free of charge? The same goes for everything else you said, including greed and corruption. There's corruption in the US, but there are also well-established, developed and time-tested mechanisms to fight it. Is the same true for India? One cannot deny the fact that India is a better choice for some people who find that they like their homeland better, for whatever reasons. Because no matter how poor or underdeveloped, it is still one's homeland. But let's be a bit more realistic, please.

I don't know which part of the heaven that you are coming from dude. But I am sure if you look in the mirror you can see that you are hiding something.
You seem to be either so jelouse or unbelievably against India. Is country that you came from much better off than India ?.
Lets face it. India is growing. She is making progress every step of the way and the whole world and facts are concurring to it. Wait for a few years.
You may be in the que for a visa too, who knows.;)

I don't know which part of the heaven that you are coming from dude. But I am sure if you look in the mirror you can see that you are hiding something.
You seem to be either so jelouse or unbelievably against India. Is country that you came from much better off than India ?.
Lets face it. India is growing. She is making progress every step of the way and the whole world and facts are concurring to it. Wait for a few years.

Couldn't agree more ;)

I completely agree with Nov4Cp. Everybody knows that there are problems in India, then every country has it. How better off are you if you choose to go back is the question here. No country can make evry citizen of her be able to afford everything. Impossible. I visit India at least every 6 months. I can see clear signs of progress everywhere

I'm neither "against" India, nor do I particularly care to be "for" it. I'm simply realistic about it, which can't be said for some of you. And the day I'm in queue for a visa to a place where police ask for money to give back the dead bodies of my relatives, is the day I know I've messed up really bad. With a GDP per capita of $941, it may be decades, not years, before it catches up to the US as it was in 2009 ;)

Good points Now4CP.

I live in the south(US). In the summmer, we cannot stay outdoors without applying anti-mosquito creams. there are so many mosquitos everywhere and the city is very bad in smoking them.

I'm neither "against" India, nor do I particularly care to be "for" it. I'm simply realistic about it, which can't be said for some of you. And the day I'm in queue for a visa to a place where police ask for money to give back the dead bodies of my relatives, is the day I know I've messed up really bad. With a GDP per capita of $941, it may be decades, not years, before it catches up to the US as it was in 2009 ;)

I don't think anybody will say that India has caught up with USA, It will never be. It does not have to be. The point is not whether it comes neck to neck with the US. The measures such as GDP or per capita often means nothing other than for a broad comparison. It is worthless trying to define a country with such isolated paramter or with example of a COP asking for bribe.
I believe that people are moving back in massive numbers. There are forums available where people discuss about their lives after moving back to India.
It all comes down to ones priorities. Now most of those who have come here for economic opportunities (mostly well educated professionals) finding themselves better off moving back to India. I also noticed that those who spend less time in the USA are more likely to wanting to go back as they belnd in rather quickly.

I don't think anybody will say that India has caught up with USA, It will never be. It does not have to be. The point is not whether it comes neck to neck with the US. The measures such as GDP or per capita often means nothing other than for a broad comparison. It is worthless trying to define a country with such isolated paramter or with example of a COP asking for bribe.

If you followed the discussion, you would know that we discussed other things as well, such as unreliable electricity, lack of clean water, air pollution, poor infrastructure, etc. Corruption and low levels of GDP are merely signs that the economy is not doing as great as some people are trying to portray it. Maybe for some, but not for all.

I believe that people are moving back in massive numbers. There are forums available where people discuss about their lives after moving back to India.
It all comes down to ones priorities. Now most of those who have come here for economic opportunities (mostly well educated professionals) finding themselves better off moving back to India. I also noticed that those who spend less time in the USA are more likely to wanting to go back as they belnd in rather quickly.

I believe it too, and wish them luck.

You know, you spent the entire time lamenting on how there's electricity in the US only if you can afford it, yet you didn't tell us if the same is true for India. Or do they provide electricity in India free of charge? QUOTE]

Yes !. Electricity is free for those who are under the poverty line.
Is it so in your country?.

Health care is free for everybody, may not be the best in the world.
Education is free for all
College education and higher studies are either free or a lot more affordable for many.

Just for clarification ;).

If you followed the discussion, you would know that we discussed other things as well, such as unreliable electricity, lack of clean water, air pollution, poor infrastructure, etc.
QUOTE]

Then What do you mean by a 'country's overall infrastructure ?' :cool:.
Lack of clean water ?. You can never make such a statement about the entire country. Some parts , yes there is a lack of clean water. But Do you really want to talk about pollution ?, like it never exists anywhere else.

I feel sometimes so sympathetic to these 'Google' Pundits. In this case They act as if they know all about India. Besides all those negativities that were uttered, people who lived in India long enough knows that there are so much of the country that every one misses. There are so many postive things that I can think of personally.
I guess that is what is making this thread so much relevant.

Yes !. Electricity is free for those who are under the poverty line.
Is it so in your country?.

With statistics showing the number of people under poverty line at around 27%, I'm not surprised there are severe shortages of electricity then. Free electricity for 1/4 of the population means less electricity for those that pay.

BPL_Data_GOI_.png

Health care is free for everybody, may not be the best in the world.

Great results:

Even after 60 years of Independence, 65 per cent of our population does not have access to modern medicine. The situation is worse in villages where around 70 per cent of our population lives. About 80 per cent of doctors, 75 per cent of dispensaries and 60 per cent of hospitals are located in urban areas.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2008/08/22/stories/2008082250140800.htm

Education is free for all
College education and higher studies are either free or a lot more affordable for many.

With great results, again:

Sixty years after independence, with 40 percent of its population under 18, India is now confronting the perils of its failure to educate its citizens, notably the poor. More Indian children are in school than ever before, but the quality of public schools like this one has sunk to spectacularly low levels, as government schools have become reserves of children at the very bottom of India’s social ladder.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/17/world/asia/17india.html