Immigrants return back to Indian, China to find prosperity

Nice article. I read one of the comments as "taking seat in school, social services, job and then leaving....". But he forgot to mention the income tax, medicare and social security taxes they took without representation. There is always + and -.

Interesting topic in the fact that it used to be considered a failure to return to India after studying/working in US, whereas now it no longer is. The global economy has caused a 360 degree shift in views and values.

I moved to the United States for a purpose larger than money. I came here to find freedom. If you are here for the material thing then I feel sorry for you.

I moved to the United States for a purpose larger than money. I came here to find freedom. If you are here for the material thing then I feel sorry for you.

I am well employed, however I am planning to move back to India in the short term - for sure.( offcourse for money and reasons larger than money ;) ).

Last edited by a moderator:

This is a very personal view based on one's priorities and circumstances. There are always + of - of everything. Nothing can be perfect ever.

If you look at it, even moving within country is because of material reasons always, otherwise who would want to live anywhere but their native town.

I will not move back to China barring political changes there. I am approached all the time by headhunters for China-based jobs. Arguably there will be better promotion opportunities there. But I will want my kids to grow up in a free country where they can think for themselves without worring about a 3:00 am knock by the secret police. This is more important than career growth or money.

i dont feel sorry for anyone who moved here for material things. there is nothing wrong with that. a lot of times you move to places to climb the corporate ladder or make more money. and the US is one of the best places to do business, great infrastructure, being at the leading edge (till now ;)) what not.

The reason is purely personal. No one needs to find reasons for others
where to stay except for himself. and one needs not to care for
others people's reason when he makes a different choice.

Can't say about people from other countries, but people from India move to other countries mainly for financial reason. If they can have financial opportunity in India, I doubt that they will even consider moving to any other country given the fact that they are very family and cultural oriented society.

India is not the same as it used to be 8-10 years ago. It's all changed now. Living standard, income, infrastructure and everything different now compared to how it was before. However, it's a sad fact that despite of all these great changes, India still cannot provide proper electricity, clean drinking water and clean air, which is the basic necessity. Even in a big city like New Delhi and Bombay, electricity goes off all the time. Could you imagine living without electricity during summer in 90 degree temperature!!! And strange part is that electricty goes off more during the summer.

And then air is so polluted that I cannot even describe it. Drinking water is another big problem. Recently I've read in an Indian Newspaper that a lot of people died in certain parts of New Delhi because city govt. had put so much cholorine in the water which made bones and intestines to have soften or glimmed away. Further, there are so much mosquitoes everywhere that it's so hard to live without them. Nobody is doing anything, neither public nor the govt. Sad. I think Indian govt. should have paid attention to provide basic needs to their people than thinking and doing all these wonderful "new" changes....

Can't say about people from other countries, but people from India move to other countries mainly for financial reason. If they can have financial opportunity in India, I doubt that they will even consider moving to any other country given the fact that they are very family and cultural oriented society.

India is not the same as it used to be 8-10 years ago. It's all changed now. Living standard, income, infrastructure and everything different now compared to how it was before. However, it's a sad fact that despite of all these great changes, India still cannot provide proper electricity, clean drinking water and clean air, which is the basic necessity. Even in a big city like New Delhi and Bombay, electricity goes off all the time. Could you imagine living without electricity during summer in 90 degree temperature!!! And strange part is that electricty goes off more during the summer.

And then air is so polluted that I cannot even describe it. Drinking water is another big problem. Recently I've read in an Indian Newspaper that a lot of people died in certain parts of New Delhi because city govt. had put so much cholorine in the water which made bones and intestines to have soften or glimmed away. Further, there are so much mosquitoes everywhere that it's so hard to live without them. Nobody is doing anything, neither public nor the govt. Sad. I think Indian govt. should have paid attention to provide basic needs to their people than thinking and doing all these wonderful "new" changes....

Very true. Despite many advances,basic infrastructure is still lacking as well as the gap between haves and have nots.

i think its important to keep some perspectives though. i am not making excuses for the govt or the system but providing for a billion people in a democracy is not easy. there are many NGO's (non governmental organizations) that are doing excellent work in a lot of areas. yes the govt has not lived up to its potential but try leading a diverse country with bunch of languages, a bunch of religions, communities, classes what not...and that too with a coalition govt.

just a comparision, you can look at parts of alabama, lousiana, south carolina and mississippi and see the despair of poverty, infrastructure what not. and i dont have to say much about what happened during katrina. and if a 'rich' well established govt cant do this..then you can imagine the issues with a bigger diverse mass of population... another example is EU...look at the drama..and how rudderless, leaderless and beaurocratic the grouping as a whole its become...india is a mini EU in a lot of respects... but i am very hopeful for the country...it will be a slow path but i think things are getting better...

I completely agree with comments of having to come to a alien country is because of material things. At lease people from India have different way of thinking and priorities.

Being an Indian myself, I would not even think of moving to a place 30 miles away from my home town, given I had satisfactory career in my home town.

I would not care that much about mosquitos (or mojitos for that matter :D) if I get an opportunity to live near my loved ones.

After all, all that matters in life is the people you have knew in childhood and the culture and environment you grew up in. I would think at least that is true for people from Indian origin.

I have known Indians who been super successful in US and have made fortunes living in US over the years, but one thing they all miss and regret is INDIA!

Don't you mean mojitos ? :D

Seriously, Development of Infrastructure does not happen overnight. Especially in a country with such larger population living in big cities. I left India about 14 years ago and, I wouldn't have looked back then(eventhough I still loved my country). Things have changed at such a faster pace for the Infrastructural development to catch up. Massive inflow of capital was the beginning stage and it still continues. The next phase will be for the infrastructure. Clearly , it takes time.
If you remember what happened to the middle east in the 70s. They had amazing capital inflow, by way of selling oil and it took over 2 decade and labor/resources from all over the world to build up the infra-structure. Why is Kuwait still has some issues rebuilding, long after the invasion ended!. Remember, these are tiny countries with almost no infrastucture at that time, and had a very low population density.

Anothe big problem with India right now is shortage of workers. People are willing to go overseas (especially to the middle east) and work for half the earning, and willing to do anything in extremely harsh conditions. They want white collar government jobs to stay back in the country otherwise. Their mentality hasn't changed. And most Indians in the rural areas are not even aware of the economic explosion that has been happening. And we know about the educated, professionals.

I am not trying to sing for India here, After all I am not an Indian now ;). But the British had pretty much chewed-up the country and left with almost nothing(except a civil war) when they left in 1947. It was such a remarkable thing for the country to hold on to its democracy and values and still make such an astonishing progress in less than 50 years!. Think about the 1.3 Billion of it population!. And just forget about the 'Slum Dog Millionaire' ( I can make a similar movie in about 30 miles away from where I live, Yes!. I live in the USA :D).

According to top economists( now start with me :p) , The current economic crisis in the middle east and all over the world will benefit india in many folds.

1) Capital inflow because India has a nationalized banking system and reliable capital market( forget about Satyam, the government did not need 24 hours to take it over, no drama by the politicians in the congress).
2) Human resources inflow - You know why.

I think will see some remarkable improvements over the next five years, if "The Indians" choose to elect their next leadership wisely .

i think its important to keep some perspectives though. i am not making excuses for the govt or the system but providing for a billion people in a democracy is not easy. there are many NGO's (non governmental organizations) that are doing excellent work in a lot of areas. yes the govt has not lived up to its potential but try leading a diverse country with bunch of languages, a bunch of religions, communities, classes what not...and that too with a coalition govt.

just a comparision, you can look at parts of alabama, lousiana, south carolina and mississippi and see the despair of poverty, infrastructure what not. and i dont have to say much about what happened during katrina. and if a 'rich' well established govt cant do this..then you can imagine the issues with a bigger diverse mass of population... another example is EU...look at the drama..and how rudderless, leaderless and beaurocratic the grouping as a whole its become...india is a mini EU in a lot of respects... but i am very hopeful for the country...it will be a slow path but i think things are getting better...

The problem is that people are claiming that they're finding prosperity back in China or India, when that is not the case. A few executives who get hired by big American companies (notice that even in the article, it's not Indian but American companies that are hiring this one guy) and then live in gated communities isolated from the reality... that doesn't really tell the whole story. The article is very weak, and very light on facts.