Homeland Security to begin collecting photos and biometrics of Green Card holders

If that helps government to keep America safer why not? As long as CBP does not hold you up on POE for long time.Hopefully they will be prepared to handle it timely and properly.

See, that's that biggest problem about this whole thing. Every single time a controversial measure is implemented, the government cries national security, and everyone accepts it. The NYPD has installed "security" cameras in some of NYC's neighborhoods. Soon enough, if we assume the attitude of "if it keeps America safe, why not", we'll all be implanted with RFID chips, so that the government can keep track of our every move. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against security. I'm just against government trying to butt in to every aspect of our lives and disguising it as security.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Ben Franklin.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Ben Franklin.

Give me liberty or give me death
Patrick Henry

Question 41, old naturalization test.Removed from new test due to national security. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it's a big deal. LPRs are still foreigners and subject to a different set of rules as citizens/naitonals. That's the beauty of becoming a citizen - there is now no difference between you and the guy sitting in the booth at the POE.

I really think its not a big deal... only perhaps if you are a LPR and stay outside the US too long.... The fingerprint will add a few heart beats at POEs to those who think they can 'pull a fast one'.... ;)

It's ironic that we complain about getting fingerprints taken again, when one is fingerprinted numerous times, needs to notify USCIS about moving and is required to carry an alien card at all times. If you want to complain about erosion of civil liberties, that ship sailed in 1941.

It's ironic that we complain about getting fingerprints taken again, when one is fingerprinted numerous times, needs to notify USCIS about moving and is required to carry an alien card at all times. If you want to complain about erosion of civil liberties, that ship sailed in 1941.

No, I'm complaining about having to be treated as a simple visitor to the US ever time I fly back. Since I take several trips to Europe in any given year, I face a long and tiresome flight back home. Having a photo taken of my and fingerprints is yet another thing that I have to do at an airport.

Since my fingerprints were captured several times already, as you so nicely note, I don't see why they need to be captured every single time I fly back home from a trip overseas. My passport is biometric, and contains more security features than even the US one. This smells like bullshit to me, and I'm calling it as it is.

... is required to carry an alien card at all times.
Does anyone ever carry their greencard with them at all times? Mine resides in my passport (in the little pouch that came with the greencard that I have stuck to a passport page) and is only carried when I carry my passport - i.e. when going abroad. Far more secure that way.

Since my fingerprints were captured several times already, as you so nicely note, I don't see why they need to be captured every single time I fly back home from a trip overseas. My passport is biometric, and contains more security features than even the US one.

As you point out, your passport has biometric data. How can they ensure that it's actually yours, without comparing your fingerprints?

Vertigo,
I never had anything to hide - do you? ;) Also, you make it sound like the US is turning in Stalag 13. Just wait for your citizenship to come through and chill out.... :)

Vertigo,
I never had anything to hide - do you? ;) Also, you make it sound like the US is turning in Stalag 13. Just wait for your citizenship to come through and chill out.... :)

Just because a person may not have anything to hide doesn't necessarily mean that it's OK for the government to scrutinize their every move.

Give any government too much power and overtime they will abuse it. It's scary to hear the Bush's administration stance on the use of executive power to overide legislative and judicial branches of government on the basis on national security. IMO, that's the kind of thinking that allowed the Iraq war and Guantanamo to happen on the guise of protecting US security interests.

As you point out, your passport has biometric data. How can they ensure that it's actually yours, without comparing your fingerprints?

Uh, because it has my picture and information on it? A digital picture that's impossible to hamper with? How do they ensure that an American passport belongs to a genuine citizen without capturing his/her biometrics?

This story has many holes.

Vertigo,

It slowly is. It is telling that the DHS is going to start doing this on January 19th - 1 day before Obama officially takes over. These were some of the executive orders being rushed that he was talking about.

I hope one of his first acts is to cancel this.

Vertigo,
I never had anything to hide - do you? ;)
You really have nothing to hide? OK, please post your SSN, A#, address, bank statements, 401k and other investment account statements, the history file of your web browser, your phone bills, a copy of your driver's license, and remove all drapes and blinds from your windows.

I hope so. It will hopefully stop GC holders from using Canada to hide their prolonged absences from the US.

I did not know that people did that :D. But, you are right, it should stop people from using GC as a "visa". I am all for this, IF they make it efficient and allow people to redress their wrong records with DHS, which they will. They already are REQUIRED to keep tabs on travel patterns of GC holders to make sure that you have not abandoned your residency, so I don't think this violates any rights for LPRs. Keep in mind that because there still will be common lines for USC/LPR, USC will be impacted by this as well in an indirect way. If they make this process time consuming, USC will complain and that will indirectly benefit LPRs in speeding up the process.

This is upon us, no point in ranting and raving about it. We should hope that they make this efficient and accurate at POE.

Keep in mind that because there still will be common lines for USC/LPR, USC will be impacted by this as well in an indirect way. If they make this process time consuming, USC will complain and that will indirectly benefit LPRs in speeding up the process.

No, if you read the decision paper DHS published, if USCs complain about slow moving lines, LPRs will be relocated to the 'Visitors' line. Next thing you'll know, we'll need a visa to enter the place we live and lead our lives in. :mad: