From Jan.2002, police certificates from India are required..

PCC From India

Sudhir,

The Application Form clearly states "For Use in India".

I don\'t know if we could use this. Again, this is purely my opinion.

I think the more we call these morons at the American Consulates in Mumbai and Delhi, the more we would be confused.

I just spoke with Mr. Santosh Jha, the Officer-in-Charge of the PCC section at CGNY.

He told me that if we are staying in the US, we have to apply with CGNY only and the PCC that CGNY gives covers all the places we have stayed in India.

He also said that once we apply for a PCC at CGNY, the details would be sent to the Passport office that issued our Passport and after they get the clearance from the Passpor Office, CGNY issues us the PCC.

When I asked him if he Passport office in turn checks with the local Police station before giving the clearance, he told me that he can not \'divulge\' the exact process involved vis-a-vis Passport Office and Local Police Station.

Now, I am not concluding anything here. I leave it to you guys to draw your opinions.

Sudhir I think your

PCC from CGNY is very much valid.
about getting another one from local police station,
 am not so sure how we\'ll do that.
I am still debating whether to put in application at CGNY
since my passport has been issued in India.
I am trying to find out if it can be got faster from passport office there.

Relax guys - here\'s the mail reply I received from Delhi Consulate

Here\'s the email reply I got from the Delhi Consulate: They need PCC after Jan 2002.

If you are going to appear for an immgrant visa interview after Jan2002, you have to provide police report. If you are in the US you should contact nearest Indian Consulate for police clearance certificate for India. We do not require any police clearance certificate from US authority as we do namecheck for each and every applicant.

I think the Passport office in India has become quite efficient, especially delhi.

They have also tied up with some specific post offices to deposit passport related forms and passports.
I have a feeling it might be faster in Delhi and other metros.
My advise is to put it in CGNY also just in case.

Well AKS1234. I spoke to them on phone yesterday night EST for about 5-7 minutes.

Well these guys are either very confused or everyone in the embassy is using his own wild imagination to cook up PCC requirements.
And in the whole process pushing up all our BP.

You are right - Sudhir...

For me, it is not possible to get the PCC now. I am keeping my lawyer in loop and planning to go with this email and a print out from Mimbai COnsulate web site. If they dont accept this, then I will ask my lawyer to do something. What\'s your plan Sudhir?

AKS when is your interview? check your private mail also.

My interview will tentatively be around 15th Jan. I have asked my in-laws in India to get these cert\'s from both local police and Passport office. They will approach both in the next few days. That is when I will get a clearer picture of how long it will take and what is the process.

Chances are they will both be a real pain, might involve our physical presence also. If that is the case, I will just walk into the interview with my PCC from CGNY only. Even my wife\'s PCC will get here to CGNY from NY after we leave for India.

Sudhir

How much time they will need to issue PCC from NY? Do they need original passport for the PCC?

If your passport was renewed ay NY.

It takes 1 day to get it.
If issued from India. It takes 40 days to get it. U have to deposit copy of your passport. They see the original to verify.
If u are planning to mail it. Notarise all passport copy pages.

Does it mean that you should get police clearance certificates from both Regional passport office & the Lcal Police Station.

E-mail response from CGNY

I just got response from CGNY that they will need 35 days for Police Certificate even for passport issued by their office. I am not sure this is just official required time and in reality it may be 1 day or so. But this is certainly official response.

vdesh1. This resposne is true for India issued passports only.

I got my PCC in 1 day 2 days back since my passport was renewed in CGNY.
Deposit it in the morning at 9:00 AM get it back at 4:30 PM same day.

Received PCC by mail for CGNY

My experience with CGNY has been very good. First last Friday I sent an e-mail to them asking how long it will take for PCC, and got a very clear answer from the Consul Mr. Jha saying for NY issued passports 1-2 days to process from the time they receive passports and for India issued PP upto 45 days. Then I mailed the passport on Friday Evening, they received it Monday afternoon, and today afternoon, I received back the PP with PCC from them. Also when I sent another e-mail to them with some clarification, I got a prompt reply.

At least my experience with them has been very good and in the past also, last year when I issued my PP from NY, I had no hastle and it took them 1 week to issue me a PP.

DELHI JAN CP GUYS.

Have any of you identified the process both for local police station and passport office PCC? Please post details of the process.
We need to share this important info ASAP to plan the execution and trip to India.

It is a tense time for Jan CP\'ers expecially. SO post frequently.

PCC not possible from passport office in india

I asked my father to go to the passport office in mumbai and submit the form for PCC.They refused to accept it saying they cannot issue Pcc for someone staying in the US.The person has to apply at the indian consulate in US and and the consulate in turn will send a request to them. In short,it is not possible to get PCC from passport office in india.

Hey Raj. Thanks a lot man. That clears up one major hurdle. So PCC from India US consulate is good.

I will also clarify the same from Delhi.
So now we are all stuck with the local police station PCC.

Any inputs on this experience guys.

gabbar007: Thanks for the info...

I\'m planning to send in my PCC app tomorrow (Friday) which they should receive by Monday morning. Did you get it in the same week, i.e., recd by them on Mon and mailed back & recd by you on Thurs? If it\'s true, that\'s great. To clarify: my wife & I recently (Oct 2001) renewed out PP from IndiaCGNY, so our PCC should be issued in a day or two (I had called them and they told me so).