From Jan.2002, police certificates from India are required..

Raj, any idea if we have to submit the passport also for this process?

What are the requirements for PCC from passport office.

IF your father had not mentioned that you were in USA, was it possible to get it done?

PCC

Folks,

I have been saying this over and over again. You will NOT be given a PCC from the local Police station and the Passport Office. Even if you get one by any means, it is NOT technically/legally valid.

Infact, you risk being disqualified if you take a voluntarily applied PCC to the American consulate for the interview.

The only way to get it is to go through CGNY.

As I said in my erlier posting, I checked this with Two Deputy Commissioners of Police in Bombay and Hyderabad and an Inspector from the deptt dealing with PCCs and Passports and finally today with a Regional Passport Officer.

The ONLY legal PCC is that we get through CGNY.

prob of passport.

my pp is actually from mumbai but due to name change the pp has been issued now by NY so where do I have to take the PCC from?mumbai or NY?as my old pp still is in use along with the new one.

Natcam. Since you have made so many calls to India already,

how about doing us all a favour and calling up Delhi or Bombay US Embassy and discussing the same with them. Maybe it will be a big help to all of us if you can convince them of the same. :) :)

skarekat

You should first send e-mail to them, contact info is avlbl. on the website, send it to passpor / visa or even Mr. Jha consul. I am asking you to do this because, Renewed passport is not the same as passport issued by CGNY. My passport had expired (Final) meaning it could no longer be renewed (it was already renewed once), so they issued me a **NEW** passport and since this passport was issued by CGNY, so getting PCC was very fast.

gabbar007: When I meant renewed, I meant they had issued me a new one...

My original passport had expired (Final) since it had completed 10 years. They issued me a new one with a different passport number in Oct 2001. I assume this should suffice to get my PCC in 2 days right?

Re: maybe we should talk to Mr. Jha

> how about doing us all a favour and calling up Delhi or Bombay US Embassy and discussing the same with them. Maybe it will be a big help to all of us if you can convince them of the same. :) :)

I think I agree with Netcam. Look at the form you found. What will you fill out for your present address (item 2). Your US address. That means you are *not* using the form "IN INDIA". Of course, it is incorrect for you to fill out an India address for the Present address because you are not in India.

So I don\'t know. It just sounds very very counter-intuitive to use thaat form if you are in the US. But then who knows.

ON the other hand, maybe we can convice Mr. Jha to amend his statement on the PCC to say that such a consulate clearance was given only after receiving one from the passport office in India. And that might help solve our problems. Sudhir, would you be willing to call Mr. Jha?

bullu singh new - I spoke to the CGNY yesterday.

The lady said that it was the standard format issued for PCC. I doubt they will make modifications to the format they have been following for ages.

Even if you have the passport made in India, CGNY will give the same letter after they receive info from India.

Re: thanks SudhirKumar

> The lady said that it was the standard format issued for PCC. I doubt they will make modifications to the format they have been following for ages.

> Even if you have the passport made in India, CGNY will give the same letter after they receive info from India.

Too bad. Apna hi desh hamari madad karne ke mood mai nahin hai. thanks for checking Sudhir!

Vallabhaneni Suresh

Are you doing CP or AOS?

How come you received 485/EAD/AP Receipts?

Vallabhaneni Suresh "Received 485/EAD/AP Receipts" 12/6/01 12:15pm

Can we do this?

skarkat - yes just go ahead, you should be fine

My PP was recived on Monday by CGNY and I receivd it back on Thursday.

Mt attorney spoke to the US consular in New Delhi......and

as per the US consular no PCC is reqd at the moment fo Jan2002

Police Certificates

We are scheduled for Interview in jan and we talked to the Mumbai Consulate, here is what we were told
1. You have to get PCC from Indian Counslate in USA
2. You have to get PCC from the Regional Passport Office
In effect we have to get PCC from both PLACES !!!!

We went to Indian Consulate and they say it takes 35 days or more to issue a PCC and Since we are running short of time I am not sure whether we can get that Certificate !

HAs Any Body else Done research on this, This new process starts from Jan...Also Does any body know the exact process of getting a PCC from INDIA, Does one have to be there or a relative can collect it...?

Any Help appreciated

Almost there

We are all in the same boat.
I have been talking to AshishV and we don\'t know what to do.
We applied for PCC at the Chicago consulate and it will take a minimum of 45 days. I am expecting an interview in early Jan. So there is no way I can get it before that.
I am trying to get one from India, I will keep everyone updated about what I find.
I am hoping since we will be the guinea pigs for PCC, we will be dealt with leniently.
MJ1