From Jan.2002, police certificates from India are required..

goingforcp

Registered Users (C)
Recently, I have done my CP at Mumbai consulate. It was normal and peacefull. I happen to see following notice at Mumbai consulate.

From Jan.2002, all Immigration Visa candidates should have police clearence certificates from India.
1. Regional Passport Office
2. Local Police Station

So, CP candidates, please check it out.

Man this is serious...

How do we obtain police certificates from India?. Please advise...

IluvGC

I would confirm this from an authentic source. This was never reqd so far, and i doubt it if it will be. Besides, if PC is reqd, the consulate usually informs us well in advance, as it does in cases of folks who lived in Singapore or Canada.
So I am doubtful if this is true.
Can anybody confirm this through somebody at Mumbai or at consulate?
MJ1

goingForCp

I dont mean to doubt what you saw.
Where did you see this board . Was this inside or
outside the consulate .
My parents live close by to the consulate .. I can ask them to
walk down and check .
Besides , the us embassy website ..still says that we do
not need any poilice check , if u live in India or the US only.
Even if this is changed , we will have to handle this once
we are in bbay .. there s nothing money can t buy in India :)

wantagc

Please kindly ask your parents to go to consulate and ask somebody in the visa unit. I understand that this may be causing a little hardship to your parents, but you will be doing us CPers in US who cant go to the consulate, an immense benefit by letting us know the truth. Your help is extremely appreciated. God bless you.

Thanks a lot to you.

I ll e mail them right now ..

Hopefully they can do this tomorrow ..
somehow I doubt the seriousness of this .. cause
they dont just suddenly change rules .. maybe its for everyone
whose 140 is approved after Jan 2002 ?

Besides . I m not sure if anyone can just walk in to the consulate ..
they ll only know if the board is posted outside ... or if the
information booth outside can answer this . I ll also ask them
to call the consulate in the morning as well before going there .
Will keep u all informed .

wantAGc

PS : did i mention I was born in Breach Candy ...it s right besides the US embassy .

This was posted outside..

There is information window at the consulate entrance where passports are given back in the afternoon. It is posted on the glass window and visible from outside.

I wanted to write it down to post it on this forum. But could not do so since security did not allow me to stand there for a long.

So, as a precaution, please check it out. If someone can verify this, it would be useful for all.

Info. to keep in mind

Guys,
I completed my GC process in Oct and it did not require PC. However according to the form that comes in packet 3 , India is in the list of countries where PC are available and should be collected.

There fore during my gc process, my lawyer was advising me to collect PC and arguing that though it is not required now it can be changed by embassies at short notice and so you should have it.

Looks like that is what happened. Here one tip from me. I tried to collect PC from Chicago consular and after four months I did not got anything. Then they advised me to send someone at the passport office in India from where it was issued and I had to do that. They paid some more money there and it took another two months. Overall about six months to get PC from Chicago for ahmedabad region. I started the process before my I-140 approved and even then I had to go to India without PC as I got the call from indian consulate a week before my trip and could not go there and collect.

My advice will be to start well in advance or collect from Indian police station where you get it in one day if you have connection or follow indian process.

Good luck to all.

MeghaP and others

If PC is being made mandatory, it will be made so in all consulates in India.
I have not heard anybody from Chennai group mention PC. The number of people going to Chennai is much more than those going to Mumbai and they are much more aware of issues involved.
So I amd doubtful if this is true.
If its true, then we should get our folks in India to work on this much before our departure date. If they get the process going, it will be much easier. Also most of the times, if you have connections or are ready to put down some money, you should get a PC quickly.
Good luck to all
MJ1

MJ1/Megha P

Do we need the PCC from the city we last resided in India, before coming to the USA, or it can be from your home address. Actually I worked in Bangalore before i came to US. My actual home is in bengal.
Please advise. This PCC crap is real serious and is a big load in addition to the interview date tension.

It will be verified from the passport issuing authority

If your passport is issued in Bengal then the PCC should be from Bengal. If you are in US that is where the Indian Consulate will send the information, Typically when you were issued Passport in India they do send police verifications and a police officer will come and question before Passport is issued. Atleast that is what I remember for my Passport in India(HYD).

I will try to send someone to Delhi Consulate

Hi guys,
May be it is only Bombay Consulate will require PC. Just like AC I-140 issue, it is only required by bbay consulate - remember, chennai and Calcutta still doennot accept AC 140 cases. Delhi started recently - Bbay accepts it from the begining.

Anyway, does anyone has a sample copy of the PC.

AKS

Very Funny - police verifications and a police officer

Ur statement reminds me of my colleagues experince in Delhi -
the cop came to our company\'s Bachelor\'s Accommodation and had put a notice to meet him...my friend didn;t got to meet the cop and the cop had to come again to put another notice...
Later my friend realised that cop charged Rs 1000.00 for every visit :))
So, I beieve getting PC from local police station is easier than trying to get it from Paapost office, but WILL IT SUFFICE??

goingforcp, I hope you\'re not pulling a fast one...

on us innocent Mumbai Jan CPers using this forum.

I don\'t think it\'s true for Jan\'02.

Couple people (Aim/Akorah) received letters from Chennai consulate to get PCC from Singapore for Jan. Interviews. If they have started asking for Jan. Interviews, they would have sent letters to all of us by now. They did not mention any thing about India/US. They just asked for Singapore. They may start informing people from Jan. and may implement in the future. This is not something they can implement all of a sudden. If chennai did not ask for Jan. means that Mumbai won\'t ask for Jan. I am planning to get PCC until I have some conformation from Consulate.

The mumbai consulate

web site still says that we do not need PC if we have lived only
in Inida / US ..