From Jan.2002, police certificates from India are required..

Any more official confirmations from the consulates ??

Of the ones I have heard so far, Chennai says no, Delhi says yes and no, Mumbai yes and no, nothing from Kolkota. Wish they would just make some kind of official announcement on their web site(s).

PCC - At Mumbai

Folks,

Just to put all speculation to rest:

My father went to the Mumbai Consulate on Sunday so that he could spend enough time looking at the notices.

I called him on his cell phone while he was there and he read out the notice put up at the consulate.

The notice clearly says that they require TWO Police Clearances - One from the Passport Office where the Indian Passport was issued and another from the local police station.

I spoke with the Deputy Commissioner of Police in Hyderabad as well as an Additional Commissioner in Mumbai. They both said that the PCC from the Passport Office can only be given if and ONLY if the Indian Consulate in NY formally asks the Passport Office for the PCC. Now, that would happen only if we specifically apply for a PCC with the NY Consulate.

Also, they reiterated that the PCC from the Local Police station, is legally and technically NOT VALID unless and until it is formally requested by a competent authority like the Passport office or the NY Consulate.

I called the NY consulate to ask if we could apply for TWO PCCs, one from the Passport Office and One from the local police station.

The answer was \'NO\'. I called thrice to confirm and re-confirm. The NY Consulate says that in India there is only one PCC and that covers the Passport Office as well as your current residence. The caveat is that you need to update your address in the passport if you have changed your residence after getting the Passport.

Just to reconfirm, I called a Police Inspector who worked in the Foreign Affairs Cell of the Mumbai Police, a deptt which takes care of all such PCCs and he said exactly the same thing saying that there is only ONE PCC and that covers your local Police Staion too.

Hope this Information helps.

natcam

So if the mumbai consulate expects 2 PCCs and NY Consulate gives only one PCC, what do you suggest we do?

Did you confirm this applies to EB IVs ?

I am asking because reportedly Chennai said this is not required for EB folks and only for family based (residing in India).

Consulate wants two, gov will give only one, that will take atleast 45 days, interview will be before that, can\'t postpone, hai... ye tho paagal kar ke hi chodenge yaar. Sometimes I wonder if it is all worth it. Ghar pe ja ke khethi baadi karenge :)

PCC from local police station

In my case, I lived at 5-6 places in India from the age of 16 and when I renewed my passport in US last year, I gave my father-in-law\'s address as the permanent address but I never lived there. How could I approach the local police station and ask for PCC?

One more interesting thing I heard is that to show proof that u have lived there, u need to have 1 o

Proof of residence

(Photocopy of any one of the following is required if the applicant\'s present address is not the same
as that mentioned in the valid passport)

1.Ration Card
  2.Election Commission Voter Identity Card
  3.Water, Electricity Bills, Telephone bills
  4.Running Bank Account ( Last one year )
  5.Letter from employer on official stationery

I picked this off a web site for Bhopal PCC. http://www.mp.nic.in/passport/police_clearance_certificate.htm

It\'s waste of time to argue whether req. or not. Post only if you have an idea that could help all

Superman and others.

I think we should apply for PCC here in consulate. Also go there and apply PCC at local Police station to be on safer side. If asked for PCC we can produce PCC from Local police station and also the receipt from Indian consulate here in US to prove our sincere effort in shortest time available to us. You just have to submit copy of your passport here in Indian consulate.

We will know for sure whether PCC is required or not for January interview, once we get Packet 4 as it contains the list of documents to be produced at the time of interview. So who so ever gets his packet 4, pls post the details here. Or else if know our packet 4 is ready we can arrange for collecting packet 4 from US consulate in India as soon as possible, to be clear on PCC.

And what of you don;t have any of them ?

I left that place 6 years back ! I just hope the consulate sees some sense says ots ok, don\'t bother.... yeah, I\'m a dreamer :)