FP notice for TSC after July 27?

I'd be very interested to see a breakdown of the number of applications for every day in July (as measured by mailing date), because I suspect the highest counts would in the last week (7/24 through 7/28). I sent my package in on 7/24 and my number is SSC*00138**** (my wife's number is +2). Bobsmyth sent in his package on 7/28 and I seem to remember him posting his number as SSC*0014*****. If the number after the 4 is a 0, then my number is of the order of magnitude of 20,000 lower than his (because the number after my 8 is low). I don't know if these numbers count ALL applications to USCIS, or just N400 applications, but it does suggest that the July spike was pretty severe in that last week!

A good place to start is to look at the receipt graph on the USCIS website where you can see how they were close to 130000 for July and 135000 for June.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/N-400%20NATURALIZATION%20BENEFITS_June07.pdf

Actually checks don't expire after 90 days. The policy for most banks is that after 6 months checks go dormant, but are is still valid if endorsed. Case example, my check was cashed over 4 months after I sent in my application.

Also, I called USCIS today and my FP notice was sent out last Friday, so I should receive it any day now. My prediction is that TSC applicants who have filed after July 27 will be slowly seeing their FP notices in the mail beginning by week's end.

That's very good to hear, congrats! I hope we see them soon.

Regarding checks, I believe there is no consistency in how banks deal with them irrespective of the law. Some are more strict, lenient or careless than others... (a) I have had my bank refuse to accept a check deposit because it was just over 3 months old ... (b) At one time, my wife paid an utility bill with a check that had a blank addressee/To field. She forgot to write the utility name on it. The involved banks allowed the utility to cash it... (c) A friend of mine once sent a check without a signature and his bank allowed it to be cashed.. Needless to say, he closed his account with them very very soon. :)

In any case, check validity may or may not be the pivotal issue that triggered changes. Banks could always extend check validity given that it was the US government cashing the check.

I do believe however that USCIS must have had to react to the unexpected load in some way. You can't hire and train new people quickly, so the only way to react is to change the normal process.

We don't really have enough data. Just twiddling our fingers, waiting in frustration... :-/

That's very good to hear, congrats! I hope we see them soon.

Regarding checks, I believe there is no consistency in how banks deal with them irrespective of the law. Some are more strict, lenient or careless than others... (a) I have had my bank refuse to accept a check deposit because it was just over 3 months old ... (b) At one time, my wife paid an utility bill with a check that had a blank addressee/To field. She forgot to write the utility name on it. The involved banks allowed the utility to cash it... (c) A friend of mine once sent a check without a signature and his bank allowed it to be cashed.. Needless to say, he closed his account with them very very soon. :)

I've read that most check processing these days is automated, so unless a teller is manually processing the check and notices an error there's a good chance it will be endorsed.

TSC surely did something different since they have always lagged in receipt processing by months up until a few weeks ago. They obviously had some resource issues and weren't staffed nearly as well as the other support centers who handled the front log faster.

Very interesting. So June was actually higher than July. I couldn't find the August graph, but I suspect the numbers dropped.

All the months up until October can be found here:

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=a7ad4ac040710110VgnVCM1000000ecd190aRCRD&vgnextchannel=2c039c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

August dropped considerably (75000), as is expected although numbers did creep back up in September and October.

That's good news, Bobsmyth. If USCIS mailed your FP notice last Friday, you should get it tomorrow/Saturday; the appointment should be by end of January.

Good luck, and thanks for sharing this news. Gives us hope that soon, our day will come !! :)

That's good news, Bobsmyth. If USCIS mailed your FP notice last Friday, you should get it tomorrow/Saturday; the appointment should be by end of January.

Good luck, and thanks for sharing this news. Gives us hope that soon, our day will come !! :)

I just got my FP notice in the mail today. It's scheduled for January 30th in Charlotte. I was hoping it would be at the new office in Raleigh, but I guess I'll have to make the drive to Charlotte instead. I'll have to reschedule it since my house closing is set for that same day (unless I can delay it 1 day).

Bobsmyth! You wait all these days and finally get it - and the date ties with your house closing!!

Do you want to reschedule it or simply try a walk-in (in your case, a drive-in)?

Thinking out of the box, it might be a good idea to move your house closing by a day rather than rescheduling FP. Think about it!!

Congratulations on the new home!! And, congratulations on moving to the next step in the naturalization process.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got my FP notice in the mail today. It's scheduled for January 30th in Charlotte. I was hoping it would be at the new office in Raleigh, but I guess I'll have to make the drive to Charlotte instead. I'll have to reschedule it since my house closing is set for that same day (unless I can delay it 1 day).

Congrats, I agree with Ravi, I would rather reschedule the closing especially if u are a buyer and not a seller.

Thanks everyone. I wonder how I can find about FP walk ins at Charlotte without having to drive 3 hours and there aren't any walk ins instructions on the notice.I also wonder if I can reschedule to have FP taken at new DO instead. Something tells me that calling customer won't answer either.At this point, I'm not really concerned if this would delay the application process further.

Interview/Oath the same day?

Hi, does anybody know, when your interview is at 10 AM, will you have the Oath ceremony in the afternoon and get your paperwork that same day (Atlanta, Parklake Drive location)? This was apparently the situation last year, but don’t know if this has changed.
Thanks

Poa

Bob,

Why do not try to give your wife Power of Attorney for the closing? I had one from my husband which my realtor took care of at no cost and i signed everything for him. It was alot of arm and hand work, tho.

Dutch-07! There is a good chance that your oath will be on the same day - after 2:00 pm. What's your timeline? - please add that in the signature.

Bob,

Why do not try to give your wife Power of Attorney for the closing? I had one from my husband which my realtor took care of at no cost and i signed everything for him. It was alot of arm and hand work, tho.

My wife also needs her FP taken so that wouldn't really work. We'll probably drive to Charlotte the weekend before the scheduled date as I read it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Update. I got my FP notice today. It was sent on the 4th and the FP is scheduled for the 29th. Its the building next to where I work. So I will just walk over during my lunch break!!

TSC dates are on the gallop!! And, to have the fingerprinting office right next door is awesome!! With the office this close, you could try a walk-in any day next week - doesn't hurt to try!!

Good luck, tsnbagman!!

Friends,

That is good. 10/28 sent received FP but still I am not..I sent on 09/07..
check cashed on 12/18..Any one in same boat? Thanx..

Thanks everyone. I wonder how I can find about FP walk ins at Charlotte without having to drive 3 hours and there aren't any walk ins instructions on the notice.I also wonder if I can reschedule to have FP taken at new DO instead. Something tells me that calling customer won't answer either.At this point, I'm not really concerned if this would delay the application process further.
Congrats Bobsmyth! good for you.... In my situation, I had an address change so haven't even got the original FP notice that was sent for Charlotte.... I am in Jacksonville, FL for a temp assignment so decided to take an infopass to the ASC here which is 5 mins from my work here.... The IO was extremely helpful ... he cancelled the Charlotte Appointment and issued me a FP notice for the same date and time as Charlotte's for Jacksonville ! So, I go there next week for the FP!

My FP notice from the ASC does state that if you miss your appointment date, then you can walk in any Wednesday after that in the next 3 months ....

From my experience I can say that you should take an infopass in Charlotte on a day or two earlier than your appointment date and explain your situation ... They should be able to issue you an FP notice which you can take to the FP office... In Charlotte, the Infopass and FP offices are different ( I think 2 mi apart) ....

Hope this helps ....