FOIPA request, is notarized signature needed?

It's possible that, in Canada, a Canadian passport is not an acceptable proof of citizenship; therefore, the consular rep assummed that the same goes for America.

Either that or the office was asking for proof of Canadian citizenship. I don't see why they would care about their US citizenship status if they were applying for a Canadian certificate. The equivalent would be for a US immigration officer asking to see proof of foreign citizenship when applying for an N-600;there would be no reason to ask for it, unless I'm missing something. Perhaps JACKKmon can clarify.

A few weeks ago, I decided to follow in Huracan's footsteps and filed a FOIA request to obtain a copy of my A-file. I decided not to bother with a notarized signature and try my luck sending the request in as is. Yesterday, I received an acknowledgement that my request was received and is being processed. I guess they accept requests without a notarized signature.

A few weeks ago, I decided to follow in Huracan's footsteps and filed a FOIA request to obtain a copy of my A-file. I decided not to bother with a notarized signature and try my luck sending the request in as is. Yesterday, I received an acknowledgement that my request was received and is being processed. I guess they accept requests without a notarized signature.

jejejeje.... makes you wonder... all this time. :confused::confused::confused:

I don't know about Vorpal, but in my case I believe I did, either by checking the right check mark on the G-639 and I also submitted another form "U.S. Department of Justice Form 361"

How to file FOIPA for A# file

So I wanna follow ya all's footsteps...

How to file FOIPA for A# file.. What form#? what else needs to be sent with it?

Did the form you signed contain a sworn statement (as a substitute to a notarized signature)?

Actually, I just signed at the bottom of Section 8, under "Executed in the U.S." I provided no additional forms and/or statements.

Actually, I just signed at the bottom of Section 8, under "Executed in the U.S." I provided no additional forms and/or statements.

Section 8 has the sworn statement included. This confirms that a sworn statement is sufficient (actually the G-639 gives you the choice between a notarized signature or sworn declaration.)

I am curious if Huracan, AAZZ, Vorpal got any response for their requests.
If you already got your copy, were you able to get a softcopy on CD-ROM?
My apologies if you already answered these questions, I didn't do a search before asking.

Hey, I missed your request. I haven't heard anything yet. I am still in the middle of the queue. I was trying to find information to see if it is normal to be put in track 2 for A-file requests. I was put in track two and it is slow like anything. It might take another half or an entire year more to hear from them at this rate. I understand that there is a track 3 now for people in a rush (you have to have proof, like notice to appear).

By the way, in order to get a CD-ROM you need to give them a call to the number listed in the FOIA letter they send you to acknowledge receipt of your application. I'll let people know what I get when I get it ;) It is a year and a half wait, so I still have some time more to wait. I am hopeful that the current administration seemed to be pushing for FOIA faster processing. I think I have seen some improvement. At least the line is not as long as I started so they seem to be clearing cases faster than new cases arrive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am curious if Huracan, AAZZ, Vorpal got any response for their requests.
If you already got your copy, were you able to get a softcopy on CD-ROM?
My apologies if you already answered these questions, I didn't do a search before asking.

I requested my A-file shortly after Huracan requested his and haven't yet received it. However, the USCIS seems to have really picked up the pace of processing FOIA/PA requests. Mine is currently on track two, around the 16,000 mark (out of approximately 36,000 pending requests). When it was received last October, it was at around 60,000.

That's something I will definitely do when I finish my US journey. I guess I can't stop dealing with INS/USCIS :D

I requested my A-file shortly after Huracan requested his and haven't yet received it. However, the USCIS seems to have really picked up the pace of processing FOIA/PA requests. Mine is currently on track two, around the 16,000 mark (out of approximately 36,000 pending requests). When it was received last October, it was at around 60,000.

Yes, that's also what I noticed, and that's what I meant when I said that it seems they are clearing cases faster than they are arriving because they only have 36000 pending cases, when they had 60000 when I sent my request. My case is about a bit over a thousand cases ahead of yours. I'll let everyone know when I get something. Definitely it seems they are processing cases faster, it might have to do with their overall digitalization of documents plan.

Yes, that's also what I noticed, and that's what I meant when I said that it seems they are clearing cases faster than they are arriving because they only have 36000 pending cases, when they had 60000 when I sent my request. My case is about a bit over a thousand cases ahead of yours. I'll let everyone know when I get something. Definitely it seems they are processing cases faster, it might have to do with their overall digitalization of documents plan.

Other than the documents that are actually in my A-file, I'm really curious to see how much material will be redacted.

And that's where it becomes a track 2 process which means it takes longer than 20 hours to process. I guess all that black marker process is time consuming, and I am not being sarcastic.

And that's where it becomes a track 2 process which means it takes longer than 20 hours to process. I guess all that black marker process is time consuming, and I am not being sarcastic.

From what I understand, track 2 is for all regular requests, whereas track 1 is for expedited requests.

Vorpal, I think it's the other way around.

By the way, it seems they are processing several hundred cases per day, perhaps around three hundred or more, so we could be done in three or four months.