FOIPA request, is notarized signature needed?

Hi Vorpal,

Congratulations! :) As you say, the wait for arrival begins, for me it continues. I haven't got anything in the mail yet.

It's certainly taking a while! I wonder if there's any additional processing time involved in putting everything on a CD?

Questions regarding FOIPA

I have some questions

1- Can any one request the FOIPA or Only Citizens as the form is asking for the Citizenship related information.
2- If every one can do it, is it Ok to order one before filling N-400 ?
3- If ordered before filling N-400 will it impact N-400 process in any way ?

Thanks

I have some questions

1- Can any one request the FOIPA or Only Citizens as the form is asking for the Citizenship related information.

Citizens and permanent residents can ask for the records.

Yes, you can order before filing. It should be ok, as long as you are aware it will take several months for the FOIPA to be processed. If your case is straightforward and you kept copies of previous filings you shouldn't need it. In case you are afraid about discrepancies between past filings and what you will write on N-400 it might make sense to have the records so you can see exactly how you spelled things out.

It shouldn't impact N-400 process in any way.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Request Received

I just received my FOIPA request. Since I opted for paper copies instead of a CD, this leads me to believe that my theory about additional time to put everything on a disc is correct. The whole package arrived via Priority Mail and is about 100 pages, starting with a copy of my natz certificate on top. I'm going through it right now and will update the thread with the contents of the package.

I just received my FOIPA request. Since I opted for paper copies instead of a CD, this leads me to believe that my theory about additional time to put everything on a disc is correct. The whole package arrived via Priority Mail and is about 100 pages, starting with a copy of my natz certificate on top. I'm going through it right now and will update the thread with the contents of the package.

Congratulations! :)

That makes me a bit nervous since I haven't got anything in the mail yet, so you're probably right that the CD production takes some additional time (scanning the documents and burning the CD?)

Wow, about 100 pages, that's a lot of information.

I just finished going through the file. It's actually 91 pages. The only thing that was redacted were the results on the cover sheet of my IBIS check. However, the results were clearly visible on the pages following the cover sheet, so I don't see what the purpose of the redaction was. The entire package was very well organized and includes everything (old I-94s, page-by-page copy of my re-entry permit, every single application) from the consular applications that were filled out before we even arrived at JFK for the first time up until my naturalization oath. Oddly enough, my name check was initiated a day before my NOA was printed and mailed to me. It was completed 3 days later. Another interesting thing is that a copy of the envelope in which I mailed my N-400 was also included.

Perhaps the most surprising document in my file is the N-400 interview checklist. This document suggests that the often-discussed supervisor approval is only necessary in 3 situations. These situations are: presence of a criminal record, disability, and something called T-file. If an application is straightforward, it requires a process called reverification.

Hi Vorpal,

Thanks for sharing this information with us. I'll let you know when I finally get the CD in the mail. It makes me wish I had asked for printed pages and then had scanned it myself :)

My time to share the good news. I got the CD in the mail today. A few things worth noting. The CD came in a hard paper CD envelope. Enclosed in the envelope there was the CD and a printed note (printed on July 22nd) intended to attorneys and representatives, saying that for attorneys and representatives the default is going to be a CD, instead of paper copies, and that if they want paper they have to call. This is pretty much the opposite of when a regular folk asks for the records.

I checked the time creation of the CD and it is July 23 in the middle of the night. So, we have letter with a date of July 22nd which is the processed date I got in the status check. I got a CD burnt apparently in the middle of the night of July 23d. What I don't have is a good explanation of why the post stamp is from July 31st, from Lee's Summit Missouri. I don't know if they mail in batches or what was the delay. Anyway, the good news is that I have it in my hands. File is a pdf file as expected, although it might have originated as a tif file and then somewhat converted or exported in the pdf.

Not much else to add to what Vorpal has said. My file has a few more pages than Vorpal's 173. I guess that has to do with the extra lawyer paperwork, translations, copies of passports and all. One of the curious things is that they had a copy of my AR-11 I sent them long time back. I hadn't changed addresses, but as I had never sent them anything I thought it was a good idea to send them an AR-11.

The file is not in perfect chronological order, but most things are. I can see the fingerprint, name check petitions, the petition for visa number, the oath letter, the interview letter, copies of photos I provided, and as Vorpal noted, even copies of the Fedex envelopes and other envelopes in which material was sent to them.

All in all it has taken slightly less than a year to get this processed. It seems they are working faster now. Now I'm thinking about applying for a FOIPA with CBP :) There was a thread recently in which someone was asked about old interactions with border officers. Might be good to know what they have in their records ;)

By the way T-file is temporary file. USCIS might use a temporary file in different circumstances, e.g. if the A-file didn't get in time. I am not sure if this can happen nowadays with naturalizations.

By the way T-file is temporary file. USCIS might use a temporary file in different circumstances, e.g. if the A-file didn't get in time. I am not sure if this can happen nowadays with naturalizations.

Thanks for explaining that. I was racking my brain, trying to figure out what it is.

On a more sentimental note, looking through my A-file was definitely a trip down the memory lane. There were copies (albeit very poor) of original I-94 and GC photos, taken before I even hit my teenage years. It also served as a good civics lesson to my wife, who's a natural-born U.S. citizen and is unfamiliar with the logistics of immigration. She thought that my N-400 process was long and tedious, so she was in for a surprise when I showed her all the paperwork that's a major part of the immigration process.

Oh, none of my AR-11s were included. I guess it's possible that after the change of address is entered into the system, the form is simply discarded.

Congrats to both Huracan and Vorpal on receiving your FOIA request files. Just a quick note on T-Files. They are temporary files that are created when an application or other information about an alien comes in to one USCIS office when that alien's A-File is in another office. Eventually the T-Files are meant to be appended to the actual A-File when they are matched up. At that point, the T-File record is merged with the A-File and it becomes one record.

Our I-129s were filed with the VSC for years but our I-140s were filed with TSC because it had jurisdiction over the location of our lawyer's offices. Then our I-485s were filed with NSC because that's where we lived at that point. We probably had T-Files for a while until everything was matched up in the I-485 stage... :)

Useful stuff about your files - thanks for sharing! Yes, Vorpal, I agree completely, our natural-born friends and colleagues have no idea how onerous this process can be!

Thanks for the info on T-files :)

Let me mention something about the CD. Be careful when opening the envelope. I think it's better not to use a letter opener as the CD will most likely be scratched by the letter opener. I almost made that mistake.

The envelope comes with a perforated strip which is supposed to make it easy to open, however I always have trouble with those and end up with two ends of partially removed cardboard paper. Then is when I thought about the letter opener, and actually inserted it once, until I noticed the risk of scratching and gave up on this immediately and finished opening it by hand.

I have some questions

Thanks

As far as I remember, when I was reading a congressional briefing paper (or something like that) from GAO, I seem to remember reading that when someone requests a FOIPA request on A-files, the files are moved to the place servicing the request (broken files are aggregated before the request is serviced). Once the service is completed, the files are supposed to go back to the file repository that USCIS maintains, but that breaks down sometimes.

What I am saying is, if your case is OK and there are no complications, I would wait until I get my N400 done before I would request my file. Remember, the files are PHYSICALLY moved during the FOIPA request/DO interviews etc. I would not want my file displaced before (or while) my N400 (filed or pending). If they misplace your file, you probably would have wait a while until they get hold of it. A more viable scenario is, while your FOIPA request is pending, your file might be requested by the office servicing your request, and lets say you file N400 after that, the FOIPA office will probably not release your file until they are done or some variation of that.

If the only reason you are requesting your file is curiosity, the wise move would be to hold on until you are done with N400. Why take a chance? In this case, "fortune favors the brave" does not hold true, "fortune favors the patient" is more apt.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I remember, when I was reading a congressional briefing paper (or something like that) from GAO, I seem to remember reading that when someone requests a FOIPA request on A-files, the files are moved to the place servicing the request (broken files are aggregated before the request is serviced). Once the service is completed, the files are supposed to go back to the file repository that USCIS maintains, but that breaks down sometimes.

What I am saying is, if your case is OK and there are no complications, I would wait until I get my N400 done before I would request my file. Remember, the files are PHYSICALLY moved during the FOIPA request/DO interviews etc. I would not want my file displaced before (or while) my N400 (filed or pending). If they misplace your file, you probably would have wait a while until they get hold of it. A more viable scenario is, while your FOIPA request is pending, your file might be requested by the office servicing your request, and lets say you file N400 after that, the FOIPA office will probably not release your file until they are done or some variation of that.

If the only reason you are requesting your file is curiosity, the wise move would be to hold on until you are done with N400. Why take a chance? In this case, "fortune favors the brave" does not hold true, "fortune favors the patient" is more apt.

This is consistent with what I have read about the USCIS FOIA process as well.

It is better to wait until the N-400 processing is complete before filing a FOIA request for your A-File.

Thanks

Thanks jllag1 & NewRunner for your feed back I will definitely now wait for my N-400 to complete.

Getting A-File became even faster now. I requested mine on 8/19/09...and the process has been completed as of yesterday 12/2/09......took less than 4 months....

there are currently 11000+ requests pending in track 2...a lot less compared to just few months ago...

For people who are still waiting or wanting to apply :

Couple of points that I observed during my processing of A-File request:

1. On average they're processing anywhere from 1000 to 2000 requests per week....

2. Status is updated every day at exactly 8:00 AM CDT (99.9% of the time)

Hi Milk,

That's good news. Thanks for reporting your timeline. I think USCIS is doing a parallel effort of digitizing the A-files to move away from having to move the physical A-file around that much, this all might be part of it.

Hi Milk,

That's good news. Thanks for reporting your timeline. I think USCIS is doing a parallel effort of digitizing the A-files to move away from having to move the physical A-file around that much, this all might be part of it.

I should Thank You for informing the forum about FOIA...I am eagerly waiting to see whats in my file...as I had waited 2 yrs to get interview letter from my local office during my GC process from 2002 to 2004

It seems that the USCIS is getting its act together all across the board. Let's see what happens when they decide to hike the fees again.

This is consistent with what I have read about the USCIS FOIA process as well.

It is better to wait until the N-400 processing is complete before filing a FOIA request for your A-File.

Guys, I need your help.

I'm in the process of filing N-400 application. Last month I requested USCIS to send me all my US Entry/Exit records and sent them FOIA/PA request. I got letter with NRC control number saying that my request is being handle under FOIA.

The only reason I requested entry/exit records so that I can put correct dates on N-400. After reading your post now I'm worrying as I'm filing for N-400 on Dec 7th.

Pls. advice, should I call USCIS and ask them to cancel my request.