• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2025 All Selectees (Consular Processing - CP)

My Case Number AS12XXX Mumbai
Title: Moving to the US with children having hypotonia - Need advice!

Hi everyone,

My husband has a DV Lottery visa to move to the US, but we're unsure about what's best for our family. Our two daughters (6 years old) have hypotonia, which affects their muscle tone and requires frequent hospitalizations. My husband will work as a data annotator in the US with a salary of $30-35k per annum.

Should we:

1. Move to the US as a family or separately?
2. How will our daughters' healthcare needs be addressed in the US? Our elder daughter's condition worsens during winter, leading to health complications.
3. We don't have the required $30,000 to show as savings at the embassy. What are our options?

Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Any detailed advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for taking the time to read our story and offer your insights.

You have asked me similar questions a number of times on my blog. That probably means that you are fearful of the move to the USA, perhaps you and your spouse don't agree on what is nest.

Let me add some thoughts to what I have said before.

1. $35K isn't a "good" salary anywhere in the USA. Average household income in the USA is about $75K, so if you cannot work then your husband will probably need to increase his income. Just a quick search suggests your estimate is lower than the average for this type of job, but maybe you are talking about a low cost area. It is likely that you will need to increase the income somehow (second job etc)
2. You will need to buy excellent healthcare insurance. You are certainly going to spend money on copays and will want an insurance plan with the lowest deductible possible. Such a plan will not be inexpensive, and will represent a significant chunk of your income, even with an employer paid plan (as they often will cover the employee but you must pay the additional amounts to add on coverage for the family. Incidentally - to explain what these things are, copays are small charges you pay for each doctors visit, typically in the $20 to $50 range. A deductible is an amount that you pay (often hundreds, or perhaps thousands per year) before the insurance kicks in. Less expensive insurance plans tend to have higher deductibles (because you assume that health events will be infrequent). So - because you know you will be seeing the doctor you will need to select a low copay and low deductible plan.

I suspect you will have to weigh these things against the bigger picture. It won't be easy to move to America. You might struggle financially, and perhaps you will not have such good support network of family and friends. So you have to ask yourself why you would do that? Is there a better life for your children here? Is it safer here? Those sorts of questions are the ones you should ask yourself comparing the future to your future in your home country.

You have asked me similar questions a number of times on my blog. That probably means that you are fearful of the move to the USA, perhaps you and your spouse don't agree on what is nest.

Let me add some thoughts to what I have said before.

1. $35K isn't a "good" salary anywhere in the USA. Average household income in the USA is about $75K, so if you cannot work then your husband will probably need to increase his income. Just a quick search suggests your estimate is lower than the average for this type of job, but maybe you are talking about a low cost area. It is likely that you will need to increase the income somehow (second job etc)
2. You will need to buy excellent healthcare insurance. You are certainly going to spend money on copays and will want an insurance plan with the lowest deductible possible. Such a plan will not be inexpensive, and will represent a significant chunk of your income, even with an employer paid plan (as they often will cover the employee but you must pay the additional amounts to add on coverage for the family. Incidentally - to explain what these things are, copays are small charges you pay for each doctors visit, typically in the $20 to $50 range. A deductible is an amount that you pay (often hundreds, or perhaps thousands per year) before the insurance kicks in. Less expensive insurance plans tend to have higher deductibles (because you assume that health events will be infrequent). So - because you know you will be seeing the doctor you will need to select a low copay and low deductible plan.

I suspect you will have to weigh these things against the bigger picture. It won't be easy to move to America. You might struggle financially, and perhaps you will not have such good support network of family and friends. So you have to ask yourself why you would do that? Is there a better life for your children here? Is it safer here? Those sorts of questions are the ones you should ask yourself comparing the future to your future in your home country.
We are eager to come to US as there is lot of research of Hypotonia in USA good physiotherapy centres that will benefit my daughters as there is not much improvement here in my home country will ask my husband to learn new skills that are paying good salaries in USA hope everything goes good Thanks a lot Britsimon i follow ur every live session and try to ask you question there everytime.

We are eager to come to US as there is lot of research of Hypotonia in USA good physiotherapy centres that will benefit my daughters as there is not much improvement here in my home country will ask my husband to learn new skills that are paying good salaries in USA hope everything goes good Thanks a lot Britsimon i follow ur every live session and try to ask you question there everytime.

Makes sense. The physiotherapy will be something you'll need to check on your health insurance to see if there are limits to the number of sessions that will be covered.

Hi, anyone from AS got their 2NL yet? i have not yet receive and no changes on the page. My number is under 3k for AS region.

Hi, anyone from AS got their 2NL yet? i have not yet receive and no changes on the page. My number is under 3k for AS region.

There seems to be a technical problem with sending the 2nls. However many people have emailed kCC and have received replies giving their interview date.

Hello, we have prepared for AOS as of now, but are wondering what the steps are to change to CP. Case number AS4xx is current for october and DS260 was not submitted. Maybe we are just freaking out but somehow CP seems to be safer and quicker right now. What would be the anticipated timeframe to receive an interview if we were to submit asap?

Can a i693 filled in the US be used for CP?

Last edited:
Hello, we have prepared for AOS as of now, but are wondering what the steps are to change to CP. Case number AS4xx is current for october and DS260 was not submitted. Maybe we are just freaking out but somehow CP seems to be safer and quicker right now. What would be the anticipated timeframe to receive an interview if we were to submit asap?
It partly depends on your embassy. Some of them are slow. Assuming it’s normally paced, probably around 3, maybe 4 months for KCC to process your ds260 and then get you onto the next round of scheduling for interviews after that. If you’ve already indicated your intention to AOS to kcc you’ll notify them that you are submitting a Ds260 to change to consular processing.
You’re aware i assume that if you do CP you need to get medicals done in the country you’re interviewing as well as get some documents which are not needed for AOS, such as police certificates and if relevant military records.

Reactions: Xmb
If you’ve not submitted the DS260, then there’s no steps involved with making “change” per se.

So if you wish to process CP, you start by submitting the DS260, then wait for the KCC to process your forms (which may take a couple of months at this month, considering the number of DS260 forms the KCC already received since May), and schedule your interview (based on your embassy’s availability and how they’re opting to treat DV cases).

If you’ve not submitted the DS260, then there’s no steps involved with making “change” per se.

So if you wish to process CP, you start by submitting the DS260, then wait for the KCC to process your forms (which may take a couple of months at this month, considering the number of DS260 forms the KCC already received since May), and schedule your interview (based on your embassy’s availability and how they’re opting to treat DV cases).
Thank you both. That just eliminated the "quicker" aspect.

In general, lets say a submitted DS260 is processed for AOS, and then somebody decides to switch, would this speed things up compared to no submission at all?

Thank you both. That just eliminated the "quicker" aspect.

In general, lets say a submitted DS260 is processed for AOS, and then somebody decides to switch, would this speed things up compared to no submission at all?
What do you mean by they just eliminated the quicker aspect? I don’t understand what that’s supposed to mean.

Submitted DS260 for AOS does not get processed by KCC, that’s why the submission is optional for that process.

What do you mean by they just eliminated the quicker aspect? I don’t understand what that’s supposed to mean.

Submitted DS260 for AOS does not get processed by KCC, that’s why the submission is optional for that process.
I mean that by the time KCC would schedule us according to the info provided, AOS would likely be completed looking at past timelines with our FO. Sorry - getting a bit nervous as it’s coming closer.

There seems to be a technical problem with sending the 2nls. However many people have emailed kCC and have received replies giving their interview date.
Thanks! Just got reply from KCC on the interview date. Btw how much should I have in bank statement to show during the IV for 2 person (me and my wife)?

Currently still looking for job

Thanks! Just got reply from KCC on the interview date. Btw how much should I have in bank statement to show during the IV for 2 person (me and my wife)?

Currently still looking for job
There’s no one size fits all answer. As an extreme example, a couple of 25 year olds with say engineering or IT degrees will need a lot less than a 75 year old couple who would have to live the rest of their lives off their savings/investments

There’s no one size fits all answer. As an extreme example, a couple of 25 year olds with say engineering or IT degrees will need a lot less than a 75 year old couple who would have to live the rest of their lives off their savings/investments
29 years old couple with IT Degree. Currently working as Cybersecurity consultant at local country.

Hello,

as mentioned, while we prepared for AOS, we are thinking of switching to CP as the risks and uncertainty involved with AOS just seem to outweigh the benefits at the moment and we do not want to loose this opportunity. We understand we are late with a case number current in October and should have made up our mind earlier.

1. Assuming we submit the DS260 this week and our CN already being current in October, I understand we will likely be called by end of '24 or early '25. Is there a risk of the CN being skipped?
2. Is there some past experience with the Kathmandu - Nepal embassy? Are they rather quick or slow? Looking at the extracted data, they constantly did about 300 +/- interviews per month for DV24, but curious to hear this forums opinion.
3. Whats the process for CP if the derivate is from a different country than the winner?

Hello,

as mentioned, while we prepared for AOS, we are thinking of switching to CP as the risks and uncertainty involved with AOS just seem to outweigh the benefits at the moment and we do not want to loose this opportunity. We understand we are late with a case number current in October and should have made up our mind earlier.

1. Assuming we submit the DS260 this week and our CN already being current in October, I understand we will likely be called by end of '24 or early '25. Is there a risk of the CN being skipped?
2. Is there some past experience with the Kathmandu - Nepal embassy? Are they rather quick or slow? Looking at the extracted data, they constantly did about 300 +/- interviews per month for DV24, but curious to hear this forums opinion.
3. Whats the process for CP if the derivate is from a different country than the winner?
1. They don’t skip CNs- they process DS260s in order of receipt and if the CN is current, they will schedule an interview

3. Do you mean resides in a different country, or is born in a different country? The latter makes no difference as derivatives are assigned the same country of chargeability as the principal.

i don’t really understand why you are so nervous about AOS, but it’s your selection/case and you should do what you feel most comfortable with. Just ensure that you understand the risks of both (such as if you get put on AP for some reason)

1. They don’t skip CNs- they process DS260s in order of receipt and if the CN is current, they will schedule an interview

3. Do you mean resides in a different country, or is born in a different country? The latter makes no difference as derivatives are assigned the same country of chargeability as the principal.

i don’t really understand why you are so nervous about AOS, but it’s your selection/case and you should do what you feel most comfortable with. Just ensure that you understand the risks of both (such as if you get put on AP for some reason)
1. Thank you. I went through the forum and somewhere read of some CN not being called/skipped. Probably due to end of the year or some other cause then. I meant that as soon as the 260 is processed, we would get put in the next batch of interviews, and not "in line" behind the ones current that month til theres a slot?

3. We are both in the US since some time on F1 visa, case number is AS4xx (Nepal born/passport) and derivate is from central europe.
I understand it as that the winner would go back to Nepal and hold the interview, as on an NIV and nonresident alien.
How would the derivate be processed?

4. So to be completely honest: the more I read through the AOS threads for DV24 and looked at the related spreadsheet, the more I got concerned about getting stuck for whatever reasons with USCIS - 150+ days processing times are not uncommon, and from personal experience, its horrible to get a hold of them. IIRC, Britsimon said in the 2024 CP thread that its pretty hard to mess up the CP if the criteria are fulfilled - which they are. Also, we havent been home in a while and planned for early next year, which would now likely fall in line with the interview.

5. Is there some thread/information on the whole AP, potential reasons, and so on?

1. Thank you. I went through the forum and somewhere read of some CN not being called/skipped. Probably due to end of the year or some other cause then. I meant that as soon as the 260 is processed, we would get put in the next batch of interviews, and not "in line" behind the ones current that month til theres a slot?

3. We are both in the US since some time on F1 visa, case number is AS4xx (Nepal born/passport) and derivate is from central europe.
I understand it as that the winner would go back to Nepal and hold the interview, as on an NIV and nonresident alien.
How would the derivate be processed?

4. So to be completely honest: the more I read through the AOS threads for DV24 and looked at the related spreadsheet, the more I got concerned about getting stuck for whatever reasons with USCIS - 150+ days processing times are not uncommon, and from personal experience, its horrible to get a hold of them. IIRC, Britsimon said in the 2024 CP thread that its pretty hard to mess up the CP if the criteria are fulfilled - which they are. Also, we havent been home in a while and planned for early next year, which would now likely fall in line with the interview.

5. Is there some thread/information on the whole AP, potential reasons, and so on?
1. Some embassies are not interviewing at capacity and yes people in those have been skipped. That’s why one of the first caveats I said to you in an earlier post was if the embassy is operating normally. Well, you only really find this out near the end of the FY. You will normally be in the next batch of interviews to get scheduled after your ds260 is processed.
3. What was not clear about my answer saying that the derivative gets assigned the same chargeability? Exactly the same process for the family. You interview together with your derivatives.
4. Well, we have also had cases reported here in the past of people being stuck for months on AP, which means you have to wait in the country you interviewed in and can’t return to the US in the meanwhile. There is also no appealing a denial at a consulate.
5. Yes, I believe you have already posted in it. Did you read the spreadsheet? The main reason for doing it is so that you don’t have to interfere with your life in the US. I personally can‘t see any reason in the world not to do AOS especially with such a low case number (unless of course you have violated status which means you are not eligible to adjust). So what if you wait a few months to get your green card? You’re still living your normal life on your F1 visa. But, you have your own set of risk factors and what you find acceptable.

Hello! I’m from Peru and I got selected for DV-2025 Program. My case number is 2025SA1XXX.

1. Is my case number low for my region?

2. I’m asking this question as I’m in a complicated situation where I’m applying for a Summer Work and Travel Program, where I’m going to travel mid December and I’ll be returning home on March. I know that my J1 Interview will happen before DV one, but I’m worried that I get a interview during my trip. What are my options in that case?

3. I’m 20 years old, single, I’m still studying and I’ll be graduating in 2025. I have some small savings and a small property that I can rent if necessary, and I also have some casual work experience related to my degree but it is nothing that serious. I also have 1+ year work experience in a fast food chain and also the job offer from the SWT Program. One of my friends lives in the US and his father accepted to give me a place to stay in their household, and also meals and any other support that I could need for one year until I can become independent. Is it enough to show the embassy officer I will not have problems settling in the country?

Thanks in advance.

Hello! I’m from Peru and I got selected for DV-2025 Program. My case number is 2025SA1XXX.

1. Is my case number low for my region?

2. I’m asking this question as I’m in a complicated situation where I’m applying for a Summer Work and Travel Program, where I’m going to travel mid December and I’ll be returning home on March. I know that my J1 Interview will happen before DV one, but I’m worried that I get a interview during my trip. What are my options in that case?

3. I’m 20 years old, single, I’m still studying and I’ll be graduating in 2025. I have some small savings and a small property that I can rent if necessary, and I also have some casual work experience related to my degree but it is nothing that serious. I also have 1+ year work experience in a fast food chain and also the job offer from the SWT Program. One of my friends lives in the US and his father accepted to give me a place to stay in their household, and also meals and any other support that I could need for one year until I can become independent. Is it enough to show the embassy officer I will not have problems settling in the country?

Thanks in advance.
1. Well, SA is already current to 825 to October. Not sure what your Xs are but you can probably figure it out from a combination of where October 2024 is and what happened the last couple of years for SA.
2. Have you submitted your DS260 yet?
Regardless, honestly, if you get a DV interview no matter what it conflicts with it should take precedence, assuming that you really want a green card.
3. That should be fine imo.