• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

Hello @Sm1smom,

I would like to extend my sincere gratitude for the resources and AOS spreadsheet you provided. They have proven to be incredibly helpful in navigating the process.

I have a specific query regarding one of the questions on the I-485 form, which, despite referring to previous years' forums, remains ambiguous to me.

The question on the form is as follows:
"Have you ever received long-term institutionalization at government expense?"

My wife has utilized Medicaid benefits during her pregnancy, and we are uncertain if this would be categorized as receiving 'long-term institutionalization at government expense.' I would sincerely appreciate your guidance on whether we should respond 'yes' or 'no' to this question.

Looking forward to your response, and once again, thank you for your invaluable support and resources.

Hello @Sm1smom,

I would like to extend my sincere gratitude for the resources and AOS spreadsheet you provided. They have proven to be incredibly helpful in navigating the process.

I have a specific query regarding one of the questions on the I-485 form, which, despite referring to previous years' forums, remains ambiguous to me.

The question on the form is as follows:
"Have you ever received long-term institutionalization at government expense?"

My wife has utilized Medicaid benefits during her pregnancy, and we are uncertain if this would be categorized as receiving 'long-term institutionalization at government expense.' I would sincerely appreciate your guidance on whether we should respond 'yes' or 'no' to this question.

Looking forward to your response, and once again, thank you for your invaluable support and resources.
This seems to be a YES response in this case going by the definition of "long-term institutionalization at government expense" which USCIS Manual defines as "government assistance for long-term institutionalization (in the case of Medicaid, limited to institutional services under Section 1905(a) of the Social Security Act) received by a beneficiary, including in a nursing facility or mental health institution". A look at the Section 1905(a) of the Social Security Act has pregnant women listed as one of those services. (Of course, I could be wrong).

Hi @Sm1smom
I am in the process of payment of DV fee via money order.
I'll be taking 2 separate money orders of $330 each for myself and my spouse. I am the primary applicant.
My doubt is, in my spouse's money order should I put mine or her name in 'from' section or should I put my name in both money orders as I'm the primary applicant.

Hi @Sm1smom
I am in the process of payment of DV fee via money order.
I'll be taking 2 separate money orders of $330 each for myself and my spouse. I am the primary applicant.
My doubt is, in my spouse's money order should I put mine or her name in 'from' section or should I put my name in both money orders as I'm the primary applicant.
Why are you buying two separate money orders when you can buy a single $660 money order to cover both of you? You’re creating needless complications by trying to send in separate money order for each one of you.

Why are you buying two separate money orders when you can buy a single $660 money order to cover both of you? You’re creating needless complications by trying to send in separate money order for each one of you.
Okay, I will make a single one for $660 then. Thank you so much for your response.

Hello @Sm1smom
I hope you are doing well, this might be a silly question but I legitimately don’t know where to file my i485 as a dv lottery winner. Plus, what should I do if I filed it to the wrong address?
Thanks,

Hello @Sm1smom
I hope you are doing well, this might be a silly question but I legitimately don’t know where to file my i485 as a dv lottery winner. Plus, what should I do if I filed it to the wrong address?
Thanks,
1. See this post information on where to file.
2. Nothing. You wait and see to find out if the Lockbox will process the case, or reject it and send it back to you.

The W-2 does not necessarily demonstrate non violation of authorized stay/falling out of status IMO. How was he supposed to receive an extension?
1. Did he or his employer petition for an extension of status?
2. If yes, what was the outcome of the filed petition, and when did he find out the outcome of the extension request?
3. When did he depart from the US?
His employer was very vague about whether they applied for an extension for him or not, he wanted to renew his license but they kept saying the extension was coming but that was it...the company is now no longer functioning and we really have no idea how to find out if an extension was even filed by the company... In his contract the company was responsible for all that and also for his flight home at the end of his contract, so ultimately it was the companies responsibility and he was stranded in the US unless they bought him a plane ticket home. He departed on 3/3/19 and his visa in his passport has his visa expiring 12/31/18. He is currently in the US on humanitarian parole but I feel like not having that extension might be the downfall for him getting a green card :(.
The company was a real shady company in the end of it all, we didn't know this when we first started working for them, so I'm just worried they never filed an extension but I'm hoping since he was in the states for not too many days past the end of the visa it won't hurt him in this process...
I'm thinking if he gets denied we may need to get a lawyer but it's in their hands now since we sent the AOS packet already.

Hello, thank you @Sm1smom for your incredible input in this forum.
I am currently a student in the US and my case number is 9xxx so lower than 10k.

Is it true that adjustment of status for DV winners is faster? What is the usual processing time, because I am worried that the processing time might be too long since online it says around 10-14 months, but I’ve heard that DV AOS cases are processed quicker.

Do you think I should apply for AOS and have a chance to get processed faster? Also, do I need to wait till my case number becomes valid before I send in my I-485?

Thank you in advance to anyone who answers.

I am currently a student in the US and my case number is 9xxx so lower than 10k.

Is it true that adjustment of status for DV winners is faster? What is the usual processing time, because I am worried that the processing time might be too long since online it says around 10-14 months, but I’ve heard that DV AOS cases are processed quicker.

Do you think I should apply for AOS and have a chance to get processed faster? Also, do I need to wait till my case number becomes valid before I send in my I-485?

Yes, DV based AOS are processed faster than other AOS. check the AOS timelines for several years in this forum. Average decision time from filing to adjudication for my FO based on several years in this forum is 87 days. And yes, wait until your CN is current in the visa bulletin. Of course there is early filing option as well, but you will need to decide if this option is for you.

I recommend you spend some quality time going over the AOS Process Spreadsheet - the answers to most of your questions are already on that spreadsheet. Going over it will also enhance your understanding of steps involved with a DV based AOS application processing.

I cannot tell you which option may be better for you, that is a decision you'll need to make on your own which is another good reason for going over the referenced spreadsheet (note: there are several tabs/sheets on that tool, so be sure to carefully go over each one for your own good).

Hi,
I have been selected for the DV lottery 2024, My case number is 2024AS27XXX. I’m currently in the United States on Granted TPS. Can I apply for Adjust status?? When is the best time to submit my document?? Also is it depend on the visa bulletin?? Is it possible to get the interview?

Hi,
I have been selected for the DV lottery 2024, My case number is 2024AS27XXX. I’m currently in the United States on Granted TPS. Can I apply for Adjust status?? When is the best time to submit my document?? Also is it depend on the visa bulletin?? Is it possible to get the interview?
1. Yes, TPS status is eligible to file for AOS (assuming you did not previously fall out of status prior to being granted with TPS).
2. You need to go through the AOS Process document to enhance your understanding of the steps involved and when you will be eligible to file for AOS, which yes, is dependent on when your CN becomes current on the VB.
3. Go through the AOS process document first.

p.s. number your questions when you have more than one per post.

Hello,
I know I am asking a silly question, but this is my first time making a money order. Is fine to do money order from Walmart and to whom to payable to? For 330 dollar.
Again Sorry for the silly question

Hello,
I know I am asking a silly question, but this is my first time making a money order. Is fine to do money order from Walmart and to whom to payable to? For 330 dollar.
Again Sorry for the silly question
I don't know anything about money orders from Walmart (USPS is more trustworthy institution IMHO), but it needs to payable to "U.S. Department of State".

Hello, and thank you, @Sm1smom, for all your support.

I am currently in the US, and I have a high CN, which is 2024EU45000. I recently had a consultation with a lawyer who recommended going with Adjustment of Status (AOS) only and suggested hiring a lawyer in my local city to help expedite my interview before October next year. I'm considering this advice, but I want to confirm if it really helps. I want to avoid spending thousands of dollars for something that I might be able to do on my own. What would you do if you were in my shoes?

I am currently in the US, and I have a high CN, which is 2024EU45000. I recently had a consultation with a lawyer who recommended going with Adjustment of Status (AOS) only and suggested hiring a lawyer in my local city to help expedite my interview before October next year. I'm considering this advice, but I want to confirm if it really helps. I want to avoid spending thousands of dollars for something that I might be able to do on my own. What would you do if you were in my shoes?
Your case cannot be be adjudicated prior to your CN becoming current, so I have no idea as to how some lawyer in your city can expedite your interview.

Lawyers often recommend you to take the AOS route, in order for them to get your business, as there isn't anything they can help with consulate processing (I.e. you paying them).

No lawyer can expedite your case quicker than when your CN becomes current. However a lawyer could potentially assist if your case gets held up or isn't moving along the approval process, they can assist with completing paperwork, etc.

Did your lawyer discuss the option of consulate processing to determine that AOS was the best route? If not, I likely wouldn't trust them. A good lawyer consultation should provide pros and cons for both options and detailed information on what they will do for you if you retain their services.

And this is a BIG but...... if this lawyer isn't specifically knowledgeable about diversity lottery green cards then I would steer clear of them.

Lawyers often recommend you to take the AOS route, in order for them to get your business, as there isn't anything they can help with consulate processing (I.e. you paying them).

No lawyer can expedite your case quicker than when your CN becomes current. However a lawyer could potentially assist if your case gets held up or isn't moving along the approval process, they can assist with completing paperwork, etc.

Did your lawyer discuss the option of consulate processing to determine that AOS was the best route? If not, I likely wouldn't trust them. A good lawyer consultation should provide pros and cons for both options and detailed information on what they will do for you if you retain their services.

And this is a BIG but...... if this lawyer isn't specifically knowledgeable about diversity lottery green cards then I would steer clear of them.
I’ve lost count of the number of selectees who started out with lawyers who could supposedly help with moving cases along when they get stuck, but ended up doing absolutely nothing in such situations or where even no longer available to the clients, and those clients ended up in this very same forum with questions about how they could personally get their cases moving.

As for assisting with completing the paperwork? The truth is they’re not always reliable. We’ve equally had reports of lawyers wrongly completing the paperworks - it’s not like the lawyers personally complete those paperworks, those are done by their paralegals.

I’ve lost count of the number of selectees who started out with lawyers who could supposedly help with moving cases along when they get stuck, but ended up doing absolutely nothing in such situations or where even no longer available to the clients, and those clients ended up in this very same forum with questions about how they could personally get their cases moving.

As for assisting with completing the paperwork? The truth is they’re not always reliable. We’ve equally had reports of lawyers wrongly completing the paperworks - it’s not like the lawyers personally complete those paperworks, those are done by their paralegals.
Agree.

Which is why I said if going down that path you should be selective for picking a lawyer, preferably one through a recommendation who has handled DV cases before.