• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

I hope you realize all you’ve done in this ^^ post is venting without asking any specific relevant question.

So my unsolicited recommendation for you is to calm down, spend some quality time going over the AOS Process Spreadsheet again, to enhance your understanding of the steps and process involved. Forget about your lawyer, educate yourself and take matters into your own hands. All the information you need to help you succeed is available in this forum.
:) apologies. I believe my lawyer is misguided.

My lawyer told me that the processing time was 13-37 months for COS and that there is very little chance we will make it through in time. I was frustrated given its about 12 months until the cut of date of sep 2024 which doesn't seem fair. Why bother allocated lottery winners if they have no chance to win anything you know?

I am now thinking my lawyer is incorrect about this!!

I took at look at last year's processing times sheet at the "interview notice received days " column which I think indicates how many days after submission you are called in for an interview. I am seeing number of 200 days and less which would be within the sep 2024 deadline. And then after than I guess the approval comes.

I'm putting up this post to pre-empt against endless questions about where to mail the AOS package. Folks, where you file your DV based I-485 depends on your residency.

Please use use the below table to determine which USCIS lockbox you should send your DV based AOS package based on where you live.

1693495483436.png

My lawyer told me that the processing time was 13-37 months for COS and that there is very little chance we will make it through in time. I was frustrated given its about 12 months until the cut of date of sep 2024 which doesn't seem fair. Why bother allocated lottery winners if they have no chance to win anything you know?

I took at look at last year's processing times sheet at the "interview notice received days " column which I think indicates how many days after submission you are called in for an interview. I am seeing number of 200 days and less which would be within the sep 2024 deadline. And then after than I guess the approval comes.
Based on the two posts you've written so far, I can confidently tell you your lawyer knows next to nothing about DV based AOS filing/processing. Your lawyer's overall immigration knowledge is even doubtful considering they originally told you only your husband needed to file a change of status! Change of status???? Does your lawyer know the difference between a "change of status" and "adjustment of status"?

Anyway, like I already stated, you need to take charge of the process yourself. Start reading up, go through the AOS Process spreadsheet. Go through the 2023 AOS thread in this forum - this will actually help your understanding of the Timeline spreadsheet you referenced as your interpretation of the data is a bit shaky. Monitor the conversations on the 2024 AOS thread. Stay on top of things

Based on the two posts you've written so far, I can confidently tell you your lawyer knows next to nothing about DV based AOS filing/processing. Your lawyer's overall immigration knowledge is even doubtful considering they originally told you only your husband needed to file a change of status! Change of status???? Does your lawyer know the difference between a "change of status" and "adjustment of status"?

Anyway, like I already stated, you need to take charge of the process yourself. Start reading up, go through the AOS Process spreadsheet. Go through the 2023 AOS thread in this forum - this will actually help your understanding of the Timeline spreadsheet you referenced as your interpretation of the data is a bit shaky. Monitor the conversations on the 2024 AOS thread. Stay on top of things
That was me using incorrect terminology. Adjustment of status yes that’s what’s happening.

Had anyone had any luck ringing up to ask for an email receipt of the adjustment of status fee? Given I’ve only just been told as a spouse I also need to apply for change of status another fee had to be sent and I’m running up against the sep 30 deadline we’ve been told we need to submit by.

That was me using incorrect terminology. Adjustment of status yes that’s what’s happening.

Had anyone had any luck ringing up to ask for an email receipt of the adjustment of status fee? Given I’ve only just been told as a spouse I also need to apply for change of status another fee had to be sent and I’m running up against the sep 30 deadline we’ve been told we need to submit by.
Well then, start using the correct terminology please to enable you get accurate response to your questions, I noticed you still used the term change of status.

1. Is your husband a DV2023 or DV2024 selectee? The response to this question is quite important.
2. Who told you you have a Sept. 30th deadline to "submit" (what)?

Yes, like a few others have said - your lawyer is clearly not knowledgable about DV based green cards. I would suggest finding a lawyer who has had previous experience with them OR doing it on your own.

What region and CN do you have? If it is in fact a low CN, do not stress about it getting adjudicated in time. Read over the DV2023 AOS forum and see the people with high CN's who have a month to get theirs approved - they're the ones who should be stressing :(

I'm putting up this post to pre-empt against endless questions about where to mail the AOS package. Folks, where you file your DV based I-485 depends on your residency.

Please use use the below table to determine which USCIS lockbox you should send your DV based AOS package based on where you live.

View attachment 4341
Thank you for this.

Quick question - what happens if we file AOS and then move states due to a job change? Is this advised against completely? Or is there a way around getting the FO changed?

Please listen to both @Britsimon and @Sm1smom. They are not going to point you in the wrong direction.

And please (saying this in the nicest way possible), you can calm down about rushing. The DV2024 financial year hasn't even started yet. You've also filled out the timeline spreadsheet saying you received the receipt on August 28th???

This seems to be a big NO NO if this could be avoidable. @milkypantz had this hassle, almost cost his green card as his IO seems to have said. Read his story in 2023
Ugh, thanks for this info! I'll read up on it.

Yeh we might be in a spot of difficulty due to my husbands career movements. We might have to monitor moving and/or filing times very closely.

Thank you for this.

Quick question - what happens if we file AOS and then move states due to a job change? Is this advised against completely? Or is there a way around getting the FO changed?
Avoid relocating after filing if you can. Like @rondon already pointed, relocating from onr State to another after AOS filing nearly cost @milkypantz the GC. A summarized version of their case can be found on the DV Tracker spreadsheet by the way (link to the spreadsheet is in my signature).

Silly question but are a few traffic tickets a cause for concern on the i-485? Has anyone been denied because of it?
Thank you

I am also among the lucky DV2024, should I send the $330 fee by check or can I pay with a bank card online?

I am also among the lucky DV2024, should I send the $330 fee by check or can I pay with a bank card online?
I wish there was online payment option! I can't believe this had to be snail mailed in, the stress for waiting for the receipt could have totally been avoided.

Please listen to both @Britsimon and @Sm1smom. They are not going to point you in the wrong direction.

And please (saying this in the nicest way possible), you can calm down about rushing. The DV2024 financial year hasn't even started yet. You've also filled out the timeline spreadsheet saying you received the receipt on August 28th???

DV2024 with a number of 2024OC9XX. Its my partner who won it, hence the first receipt as of Aug 28th, which was actually EMAILED to us!! This was a huge relief given it took 4 weeks to arrive there..... (thanks USPS!) We are now waiting on another receipt for my adjustment of status, very much hoping this one will be emailed.

Well im not sure where this 30 Sep 2023 deadline is coming from, i suspect its because she thinks we need to get our two AOS forms submitted asap given she does believe the processing timeline is 13-37 months (which is beyond the 30 Sep 2024 deadline!). I understand from reading your past responses and looking up the spreadsheet that this is possibly not accurate, so im hopefuly this is true.

DV2024 with a number of 2024OC9XX. Its my partner who won it, hence the first receipt as of Aug 28th, which was actually EMAILED to us!! This was a huge relief given it took 4 weeks to arrive there..... (thanks USPS!) We are now waiting on another receipt for my adjustment of status, very much hoping this one will be emailed.

Well im not sure where this 30 Sep 2023 deadline is coming from, i suspect its because she thinks we need to get our two AOS forms submitted asap given she does believe the processing timeline is 13-37 months (which is beyond the 30 Sep 2024 deadline!). I understand from reading your past responses and looking up the spreadsheet that this is possibly not accurate, so im hopefuly this is true.
The 13-37 month process is definitely NOT CORRECT. I suggest you stop talking to your current lawyer about your DV process and I'd strongly urge you to either a) undertake the process yourself (follow the guidelines in the spreadsheet, it is pretty self-explanatory and then ask questions here for further clarification) or b) hire a different lawyer.

If you need a lawyer recommendation, I have an Australian lawyer based in US who specializes in visas for Aussies, etc and thoroughly knowledgeable about the DV process. But again, you don't need to use one.

The last few years your CN number has been called around February/March, so not super low but pretty good nevertheless. The 30 Sept 2023 deadline is for the 2023 FY lottery. The deadline for 2024 FY is 30 Sept 2024 - this is the date you need to have your visa processed by. There are plenty of other threads on this forum which state that USCIS work very hard to process AOS cases before the DV deadline of end of September.

I wouldn't stress about waiting for your receipt. You literally won't be able to submit any documentation until your CN is called, which is still likely months away. I would recommend going through each tab on the information spreadsheet to understand all the steps.

The 13-37 month process is definitely NOT CORRECT. I suggest you stop talking to your current lawyer about your DV process and I'd strongly urge you to either a) undertake the process yourself (follow the guidelines in the spreadsheet, it is pretty self-explanatory and then ask questions here for further clarification) or b) hire a different lawyer.

If you need a lawyer recommendation, I have an Australian lawyer based in US who specializes in visas for Aussies, etc and thoroughly knowledgeable about the DV process. But again, you don't need to use one.

The last few years your CN number has been called around February/March, so not super low but pretty good nevertheless. The 30 Sept 2023 deadline is for the 2023 FY lottery. The deadline for 2024 FY is 30 Sept 2024 - this is the date you need to have your visa processed by. There are plenty of other threads on this forum which state that USCIS work very hard to process AOS cases before the DV deadline of end of September.

I wouldn't stress about waiting for your receipt. You literally won't be able to submit any documentation until your CN is called, which is still likely months away. I would recommend going through each tab on the information spreadsheet to understand all the steps.

thanks so much for your response. particularly this part "I wouldn't stress about waiting for your receipt. You literally won't be able to submit any documentation until your CN is called, which is still likely months away. I would recommend going through each tab on the information spreadsheet to understand all the steps."

Going to dig more to understand it.

Cheers!