• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

Question;
I am expecting my case number to become current in the next month or two and my package is pretty much assembled in preparation.
I got married in January of this year and my husband will be filing with me. The package does not note any proof of bona fide marriage documentation; would it be useful to preemptively include this (leases, joint bank statements etc) within the AOS package itself, or better to wait until interview? I suspect it has been omitted from the spreadsheet for a reason, but thought no harm in double checking.

I paid $550. Being in Manhattan there is definitely a premium attached, but $300 seems totally fair.
Did you shop around before settling on the CS you used? Not sure if you're aware you could have used a CS outside of Manhattan.

Question;
I am expecting my case number to become current in the next month or two and my package is pretty much assembled in preparation.
I got married in January of this year and my husband will be filing with me. The package does not note any proof of bona fide marriage documentation; would it be useful to preemptively include this (leases, joint bank statements etc) within the AOS package itself, or better to wait until interview? I suspect it has been omitted from the spreadsheet for a reason, but thought no harm in double checking.
Yes, those documents were left out on purpose so as to not mistakenly get the IO thinking it is a marriage based AOS application. You however can (should) include copies of your marriage certificate in both packages and leave out the rest of the bona fide marriage documentation for when (if) you go in for an interview.

Yes, those documents were left out on purpose so as to not mistakenly get the IO thinking it is a marriage based AOS application. You however can (should) include copies of your marriage certificate in both packages and leave out the rest of the bona fide marriage documentation for when (if) you go in for an interview.
Thank you for clarifying! Will put the balance documentation aside for now.

Re. CS- I checked online and $550 was in line with most of Manhattan. The cost factored out against the time spent traveling around/ having to get out of office to anyone cheaper so I wrote it off as a convenience fee.

I have a question about Form I-485. I want to make sure I provide accurate information. I'm a bit confused about the public charge question (Question 61 on page 13). I saw the template form, but I'm unsure about when to answer 'Yes' or 'No.' Can someone please explain the criteria for answering 'Yes' or 'No' to this question?

I am on F1 visa and I receive a monthly stipend from my university.

I have a question about Form I-485. I want to make sure I provide accurate information. I'm a bit confused about the public charge question (Question 61 on page 13). I saw the template form, but I'm unsure about when to answer 'Yes' or 'No.' Can someone please explain the criteria for answering 'Yes' or 'No' to this question?

Doesnt matter if you receive a stipend, DV based i-485 applicants ARE considered public charge. You have to answer YES to that question.

Take a look at the "AOS FAQ" tab/sheet of the AOS Process spreadsheet for additional explanation on this.

Hello Everyone!

I am about the send my AOS package soon and I just want to make sure that I am sending it to the correct Lockbox.

I checked to USCIS lockbox addresses and it doesn't show DV specifically. There is one for family based addresses depending on the State you live.

Are we going to follow this website or just send it to USCIS Chicago Lockbox.

Thanks for the help!

Gokhan

I am about the send my AOS package soon and I just want to make sure that I am sending it to the correct Lockbox.
Doing Early Filing before FY starts is highly *not* recommended. Those filing tends to be rejected more often. AFAIR there was even a denial a couple year ago. You're at the very beginning of DV24. What's the rush?

Doing Early Filing before FY starts is highly *not* recommended. Those filing tends to be rejected more often. AFAIR there was even a denial a couple year ago. You're at the very beginning of DV24. What's the rush?
My case will be current at September and my documents are ready.

My case will be current at September and my documents are ready.
No, it wont be current in September, unless you are a 2023 DV selectee with a high case number that became current in Sept. Case numbers for 2024 start in October, and if indeed you are a 2024 with low CN, once again, what is the rush and unnecessary risk for?

Hello, thankfully just found these forums. Wish I had found them earlier. I just read through the process spreadsheet which was an amazing resource. thankyou.

My husband won the lottery (we are here living and working on visas) and we sent off a payment 4 weeks ago with tracking and it bounced back and forward between here and the KCC. Finally it arrived and has been cashed. Of course now im reading in the sreadsheet it can take 4-10 weeks for a receipt and the lodgement date is in 4 weeks. Im really quite stressed honestly. Why can't this fee be paid online? Its insanity. We've been told he has a low visa number and its current? sorry im not up with that language just yet.

To make matters worse, despite hiring a lawyer to take the stress off this process she originally told me only my husband is the one who submits the change of status and just yesterday she is like oh no I got that wrong, you also need too. So im off this morning for my medical but its all a huge time crush at this point.

I am also just feeling like why are we even bothering spending all this money if the USCIS wait times are 13-37 months anyway and if the visa is not issued by 30 sep 2024 you loose it..... It all just seems kind of cruel? why bother awarding "winners" if there is no way to actually win?

Last edited:
Hello, thankfully just found these forums. Wish I had found them earlier. I just read through the process spreadsheet which was an amazing resource. thankyou.

My husband won the lottery (we are here living and working on visas) and we sent off a payment 4 weeks ago with tracking and it bounced back and forward between here and the KCC. Finally it arrived and has been cashed. Of course now im reading in the sreadsheet it can take 4-10 weeks for a receipt and the lodgement date is in 4 weeks. Im really quite stressed honestly. Why can't this fee be paid online? Its insanity. We've been told he has a low visa number and its current? sorry im not up with that language just yet.

To make matters worse, despite hiring a lawyer to take the stress off this process she originally told me only my husband is the one who submits the change of status and just yesterday she is like oh no I got that wrong, you also need too. So im off this morning for my medical but its all a huge time crush at this point.

I am also just feeling like why are we even bothering spending all this money if the USCIS wait times are 13-37 months anyway and if the visa is not issued by 30 sep 2024 you loose it..... It all just seems kind of cruel? why bother awarding "winners" if there is no way to actually win?
I hope you realize all you’ve done in this ^^ post is venting without asking any specific relevant question.

So my unsolicited recommendation for you is to calm down, spend some quality time going over the AOS Process Spreadsheet again, to enhance your understanding of the steps and process involved. Forget about your lawyer, educate yourself and take matters into your own hands. All the information you need to help you succeed is available in this forum.

To add, most Dv based AOS cases are adjudicated before the deadline of Sept 30 . You can get a good estimate of the timelines for DV based AOS in the "Timelines" sheet within the AOS Process Spreadsheet for several years.

No, it wont be current in September, unless you are a 2023 DV selectee with a high case number that became current in Sept. Case numbers for 2024 start in October, and if indeed you are a 2024 with low CN, once again, what is the rush and unnecessary risk for?
Thanks for recommendations, I just didn’t know that. How about address question? I couldn’t find specific guideline to where to send DV application in Uscis website. In i-485 page it only shows for family based application addresses. Thanks

Thanks for recommendations, I just didn’t know that. How about address question? I couldn’t find specific guideline to where to send DV application in Uscis website. In i-485 page it only shows for family based application addresses. Thanks
The information is there, you just somehow missed it.

Most Common Reasons for Filing Form I-485

Use the applicable address in this section if you are filing as:
  • A diversity lottery winner eligible to file Form I-485;
Go to our USCIS Lockbox Filing Locations Chart for Certain Family-Based Forms page for the filing address based on where you live.

The information is there, you just somehow missed it.

Most Common Reasons for Filing Form I-485[/B]
Use the applicable address in this section if you are filing as:
  • A diversity lottery winner eligible to file Form I-485;
Go to our USCIS Lockbox Filing Locations Chart for Certain Family-Based Forms[/URL] page for the filing address based on where you live.

I see this but family based part confused me. So I live in Virginia and I will send my AOS package to Elgin lockbox?

Thanks