• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

thanks so much for your response. particularly this part "I wouldn't stress about waiting for your receipt. You literally won't be able to submit any documentation until your CN is called, which is still likely months away. I would recommend going through each tab on the information spreadsheet to understand all the steps."

Going to dig more to understand it.

Cheers!

OK in case it helps any other visa n00b:
- you can't submit your application until your Case Number (CN) becomes current. These CN cutoffs are published via visa bulletins. Yours must be below the number published for it to be current
- you can submit your application early (less than 60 days if your CN is current as of the early visa bulletin) (check the spreadsheet for more details)
- you can get a sense from last years visa bulletins for an approximation of when you might expect your CN to become current, for mine this was Jan
- the USCIS processing timeframe of 13-37 months is not accurate, DV applications are processed throughout the year in which they are submitted. From what I can tell, USCIS doesn't publish timeframes specific to DV AOS applications so you'll need to get a sense of timeframes from the past years spreadsheet.

wow. I feel like I have been running on information that is just not accurate and causing me extreme stress, which is extra frustrating given we are paying for a lawyer... so exasperated.

Thanks again to everyone who runs this forum and who has helped me so far.

OK in case it helps any other visa n00b:
- you can't submit your application until your Case Number (CN) becomes current. These CN cutoffs are published via visa bulletins. Yours must be below the number published for it to be current
- you can submit your application early (less than 60 days if your CN is current as of the early visa bulletin) (check the spreadsheet for more details)
- you can get a sense from last years visa bulletins for an approximation of when you might expect your CN to become current, for mine this was Jan
- the USCIS processing timeframe of 13-37 months is not accurate, DV applications are processed throughout the year in which they are submitted. From what I can tell, USCIS doesn't publish timeframes specific to DV AOS applications so you'll need to get a sense of timeframes from the past years spreadsheet.

wow. I feel like I have been running on information that is just not accurate and causing me extreme stress, which is extra frustrating given we are paying for a lawyer... so exasperated.

Thanks again to everyone who runs this forum and who has helped me so far.
Your grade is A+. Sorry to hear that you had paid a lawyer though. :)

Your grade is A+. Sorry to hear that you had paid a lawyer though. :)
This has literally made my day! Hahahah thankyou

Oh and for those following along, I asked my lawyer today why the rush on getting everything ready for her given our visa number is not even current and she said yes it is…. And I’m like but we are DV-2024 not DV-2023…. So I guess she got that wrong. Seems like a basic thing for a lawyer yes?

Hi Mom and everyone,
First of all thanks for the spreadsheet and the forums. They've been of great help. I got a question though. My mom, 62 yo, is among the 2024 winners and is currently in the U.S. with an F1 visa. Planning ahead, I was wondering if she needs a sponsor as I'm a bit concerned about the public charge requirement. She has a relatively good amount of money in her bank account. Is it necessary to include a sponsor in her AOS package?

Hi Mom and everyone,
First of all thanks for the spreadsheet and the forums. They've been of great help. I got a question though. My mom, 62 yo, is among the 2024 winners and is currently in the U.S. with an F1 visa. Planning ahead, I was wondering if she needs a sponsor as I'm a bit concerned about the public charge requirement. She has a relatively good amount of money in her bank account. Is it necessary to include a sponsor in her AOS package?
Having an I-134 for demonstrating one is unlikely to become a public charge is recommended.

Well today my lawyer confessed she had made the mistake in thinking that we were DV-2023 applications. She had told us our CN was current and that we needed to send in our docs by 30 sep 2023. When I pointed out that actually our CN is not current and pointed out that it likely wouldn’t become current until next year the penny finally dropped for her. She had since dropped us as clients and refunded our money.

Anyway I just wanted to say Thankyou so much for this forum and to @Sm1smom for putting the spreadsheets together and answering my questions. I did what you suggested, I educated myself about this process and with that knowledge I averted loosing $6k in lost fees and an application rejection. I don’t even know if we would have been able to resubmit or if our chances would have been blown entirely. Thankyou!!!!! You are your own best advocate people!

Well today my lawyer confessed she had made the mistake in thinking that we were DV-2023 applications. She had told us our CN was current and that we needed to send in our docs by 30 sep 2023. When I pointed out that actually our CN is not current and pointed out that it likely wouldn’t become current until next year the penny finally dropped for her. She had since dropped us as clients and refunded our money.

Anyway I just wanted to say Thankyou so much for this forum and to @Sm1smom for putting the spreadsheets together and answering my questions. I did what you suggested, I educated myself about this process and with that knowledge I averted loosing $6k in lost fees and an application rejection. I don’t even know if we would have been able to resubmit or if our chances would have been blown entirely. Thankyou!!!!! You are your own best advocate people!
Even if you were DV2023 selectees, the lawyer still got it wrong. You would have needed to be approved by Sept. 30th, not just file by Sept. 30th like she told you.

Anyway, glad to know you’ve decided to educate yourself and take matters into your own hands.

Having an I-134 for demonstrating one is unlikely to become a public charge is recommended.
Makes sense. I see that I-134 is among the optional supporting documents on the AOS package sheet. I also saw some examples of people taking that with them to the interview in the 2023 forum. Do you recommend submitting it with the AOS application or waiting and just taking it to the interview?
Thanks

Makes sense. I see that I-134 is among the optional supporting documents on the AOS package sheet. I also saw some examples of people taking that with them to the interview in the 2023 forum. Do you recommend submitting it with the AOS application or waiting and just taking it to the interview?
Thanks
Take a look at the FAQ tab of the AOS process spreadsheet.

Even if you were DV2023 selectees, the lawyer still got it wrong. You would have needed to be approved by Sept. 30th, not just file by Sept. 30th like she told you.

Anyway, glad to know you’ve decided to educate yourself and take matters into your own hands.
I know! none of the timeline she presented makes sense now matter which way you look at it.

Would it be an issue if my status changes from H1B to H4 after my AOS package is submitted? This is attempt to be in Status throughout the AOS process. Appreciate your feedback

Last edited:
Hi! I had some questions. I would appreciate if you could answer. Thank you for all your help. @Sm1smom
1. Can my husband write the check for the AOS fee, as long as he writes my name on the memo?
2. I got married and changed my last name after winning the lottery, so should he include my maiden name which with I won the lottery with or current last name?
3. I currently have employment authorization card through my asylum application, valid till 09/2024. Can I fill I-765 again with AOS for dv lottery?
4. While filling I-485 form, should I use my current alien number from my asylum application or leave it blank?
5.And just wanted to make sure on the number of photos, if I have I 485, I 765, I 693, I 131, G1145 in my package? How many photos should i include?

Thank you
best of luck to everyone

Hi! I had some questions. I would appreciate if you could answer. Thank you for all your help. @Sm1smom
1. Can my husband write the check for the AOS fee, as long as he writes my name on the memo?
2. I got married and changed my last name after winning the lottery, so should he include my maiden name which with I won the lottery with or current last name?
3. I currently have employment authorization card through my asylum application, valid till 09/2024. Can I fill I-765 again with AOS for dv lottery?
4. While filling I-485 form, should I use my current alien number from my asylum application or leave it blank?
5.And just wanted to make sure on the number of photos, if I have I 485, I 765, I 693, I 131, G1145 in my package? How many photos should i include?

Thank you
best of luck to everyone
1. Yes he can. He does not need to write your name on the Memo line.
2. See response 1 above.
3. Yes you can.
4. Use it.
5. Read and follow what the instructions for each form says.

Thank you for the answers, I have another question, my last name is different than my last name I won the dv lottery with, since I got married. I didn't change the name of my passport. would that be a problem?

Also I am going to get the medical exam this week, and they said i should bring my passport, should they use the name on my passport or my current last name where I am filling my I485 with?

Thank you so much

Thank you for the answers, I have another question, my last name is different than my last name I won the dv lottery with, since I got married. I didn't change the name of my passport. would that be a problem?

Also I am going to get the medical exam this week, and they said i should bring my passport, should they use the name on my passport or my current last name where I am filling my I485 with?

Thank you so much
1. It shouldn't be a problem. If you plan on using your spouse's last name, you however will always need to present your marriage certificate with your passport which has your maiden name.

2. Use the name you plan on using for your I-485 (as that will be the name on your GC).

My name is Jane. I need some help.I was selected for DV lottery 2024.I came to USA with F1 Visa and filled for asylum.The asylum is still pending.What is the best option I will have to follow to get GD. Help please.

I have looked for immigration lawyers but we can’t find one who are willing to help us since they have never dealt with such case before. We are so confused.

I have looked for immigration lawyers but we can’t find one who are willing to help us since they have never dealt with such case before. We are so confused.
Maybe if you bother to answer the questions asked in response to your first post, you wouldn’t have to be searching all over immigration lawyers that can help you