• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

Hi everyone! I have been selected in the 2024 DV Lottery but have a lot of questions.
My circumstances are:
- am currently working on OPT from an F1 Visa
- My OPT finishes July 31st 2023.
- My CN is under a thousand for the Oceania region

My questions relate to whether applying via CP or AOS would be best.
1. If I apply for CP, how long would it take? Would I be able to go live and work in another country during the processing time because my OPT expires in July?
2. If I apply for AOS, am I able to stay in the country and work if I have a job currently while I wait for my CN to be valid and then apply?

If anybody has any information on this, it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
If your OPT is ending at the end of July, that means you will be out of status by the time you become eligible to file for AOS. So I do not see AOS as being an option for you in that case.

1. I cannot predict how long it may take to process CP. It depends on several factors such as when you submit your DS260 which influences how soon KCC completes processing the form and schedule your CP interview after your CN becomes current. It also further depends on the embassy where your CP interview will happen. The expectation for the country where your interview gets scheduled is you will have some sort of ties, maybe you're from the country or legally residing their.
2. No. You will need to be in a legal status with work authorization in order to keep working while waiting for your CN to become current.

Hi. case number is EU55XXX. I'm in the US with a G1 visa. I will be applying for AOS but i also see that DS260 is recommended . considering my number is probably quite high i wouldn't want the ds260 to affect any future renewal of my visa or other visa . So should I just wait until my number becomes current? or should I go ahead and submit AOS or DS260? not sure what the next steps should be. thank you!

Hi. case number is EU55XXX. I'm in the US with a G1 visa. I will be applying for AOS but i also see that DS260 is recommended . considering my number is probably quite high i wouldn't want the ds260 to affect any future renewal of my visa or other visa . So should I just wait until my number becomes current? or should I go ahead and submit AOS or DS260? not sure what the next steps should be. thank you!
You cannot go ahead and submit your AOS application before your CN is current (as in below the numbers listed on the VB). In terms of what to do in the interim,
1. Go through the AOS Process Spreadsheet.
2. Go through this post/response provided to a similar question such as yours.

How do I determine if a certian case number is high? Mine came out AS4XXX. I have a new born (in US) after I filed DV, so should I include her in the DS 260?

How do I determine if a certian case number is high? Mine came out AS4XXX. I have a new born (in US) after I filed DV, so should I include her in the DS 260?
By checking the VB (previous years for starters), and comparing it to the total number of selectees which we will get to know of around August, and finally knowing the total number of selectees in the AS region (which we may get to find out in January).

Sm1smom, sorry for another question I got after reading through the AOS documents spreasheet. I was on J 1 visa in 2000-2001 when I was 15-16years old. It says if you held J1 before you should also include in your package IAP-66 and/or DS-2019. As I was a kid I'm not sure if any of these forms can be located anywhere. Any suggestions on this? (maybe I can access any electronic records?) Or those forms are not mandatory for somebody who held those visa so long ago, obeyed the 2 year rule and now in US with U4U?

Sm1smom, sorry for another question I got after reading through the AOS documents spreasheet. I was on J 1 visa in 2000-2001 when I was 15-16years old. It says if you held J1 before you should also include in your package IAP-66 and/or DS-2019. As I was a kid I'm not sure if any of these forms can be located anywhere. Any suggestions on this? (maybe I can access any electronic records?) Or those forms are not mandatory for somebody who held those visa so long ago, obeyed the 2 year rule and now in US with U4U?
There is no exception to the requirement based on how long the J1 status has been AFAIK. Yes, you can initiate FOIA Request, maybe copies of those forms may be there. If you're unable to get any copy, you'll just have to file your application as is in that case.

Hello Mom,
I got selected and my case number is EU32XXX. I have been in the US since 2018, I came here with my wife on a tourist visa, shortly changed it to F1/F2 student status then two years ago we started the process with an EB3 visa (my wife is the primary applicant), two months ago our I-140 was approved in addition we have already SSN, EAD, and AP approved, the only pending currently is AOS I 485 cases.
After I-140 was approved I informed my school that I will no longer study and they terminated our F1/F2 visa.

Please advise :

1. Do I even need to start another process of AOS with my DV lottery?

2. I know that regarding the case number availability we will not know until next year but there is no guarantee that our EB3 will be finalized by that time

3. What are your thoughts regarding our situation and what would you do?

Thank you!

Hello Mom,
I got selected and my case number is EU32XXX. I have been in the US since 2018, I came here with my wife on a tourist visa, shortly changed it to F1/F2 student status then two years ago we started the process with an EB3 visa (my wife is the primary applicant), two months ago our I-140 was approved in addition we have already SSN, EAD, and AP approved, the only pending currently is AOS I 485 cases.
After I-140 was approved I informed my school that I will no longer study and they terminated our F1/F2 visa.

Please advise :

1. Do I even need to start another process of AOS with my DV lottery?

2. I know that regarding the case number availability we will not know until next year but there is no guarantee that our EB3 will be finalized by that time

3. What are your thoughts regarding our situation and what would you do?

Thank you!
1. It’s your call. There’s no harm in having multiple AOS applications in the system.
3. I’m sorry I cannot tell you if you should proceed with the DV selection or not, I do not provide that sort of guidance. I can only walk you through the process. Your case, your call.

Hi .. My name is David. I need some help.My girlfriend was selected for the DV lottery 2024.She came to USA with F1 Visa and filled for asylum. The asylum is still pending.What is the best option she will have to follow to get GD. Do you know someone with similar case ( past and present cases) Help please.
Thank you.

Hi .. My name is David. I need some help.My girlfriend was selected for the DV lottery 2024.She came to USA with F1 Visa and filled for asylum. The asylum is still pending.What is the best option she will have to follow to get GD. Do you know someone with similar case ( past and present cases) Help please.
Thank you.
1. When did she come into the US?
2. When did she file for asylum?
3. Is she currently maintaining her F1 status?

Yes, there’s been a couple of folks with asylum pending who got approved as DV selectees, and they’re been some who got denied. Take a look at the “Asylum Pending” section of the DV Tracker - Unique Situations spreadsheet (link in the signature section of any of my posts) to read more about those cases.

1. It’s your call. There’s no harm in having multiple AOS applications in the system.
3. I’m sorry I cannot tell you if you should proceed with the DV selection or not, I do not provide that sort of guidance. I can only walk you through the process. Your case, your call.
1. So I need to wait until my CN will be current on VB and only then start another AOS process?
2. Judging my high CN EU32XXX, I will be able to start with my process next year and it is only if my CN will be current at all, am I correct?
3. The same goes with DSO160? My understanding from the AOS spreadsheet is that even with the AOS path it is highly recommended to submit DS160, is that correct?
4. Is that all I can do at the moment?

1. So I need to wait until my CN will be current on VB and only then start another AOS process?
2. Judging my high CN EU32XXX, I will be able to start with my process next year and it is only if my CN will be current at all, am I correct?
3. The same goes with DSO160? My understanding from the AOS spreadsheet is that even with the AOS path it is highly recommended to submit DS160, is that correct?
4. Is that all I can do at the moment?
If your CN is on the high side, keep monitoring the VB to see CN progression. If it seems like your CN may become current in the next one or two months based on the observed trend, then you may want to go ahead and make the DV administrative fee payment then. However if you prefer to wait until your CN actually becomes current before making the payment, you may equally do that as long as you’re aware it may take several weeks to receive the payment receipt which may further delay when you get to send in your AOS package. It’s a judgment call you’ll have to make as to when to make the payment or do your medical exam, or submit the DS260 form (which though recommended is optional).

While waiting for your CN to become current, begin to gather your applicable documents if they’re not readily available to you. Familiarize yourself with the process by going through the AOS Process Spreadsheet (there are several tabs/sheets on the spreadsheet - become an ‘A’ student of them), and some of the past AOS only threads in this forum. Also, keep abreast of the conversations on this thread.

Where can I check the VB? to see if my number is current or not?

Hi,
I got the DV 2024 but I'm going to study with my F-1 visa this August.
I know it may cause some problems while DV selectees apply for an F1 visa, but is there any chance I get asked by the CBP(or sth.) at the airport during entry?
*I'm not planning to submit my DS260 before like Oct.
Thanks!

Hi,
I got the DV 2024 but I'm going to study with my F-1 visa this August.
I know it may cause some problems while DV selectees apply for an F1 visa, but is there any chance I get asked by the CBP(or sth.) at the airport during entry?
*I'm not planning to submit my DS260 before like Oct.
Thanks!
Do you already have the F1 visa issued? If you do not currently have your F1 visa, yes you may be asked about your DV selection at the time of your interview, and you're required to truthfully answer the question(s) with regards to whatever your plans are for the selection. Same thing with CBP at the POE.

Do you already have the F1 visa issued? If you do not currently have your F1 visa, yes you may be asked about your DV selection at the time of your interview, and you're required to truthfully answer the question(s) with regards to whatever your plans are for the selection. Same thing with CBP at the POE.
Yes, I’ve got my F1 visa (prior to get selected.)
So chances are I’ll still get asked about my DV selection at the POE even without DS260 submission?

Yes, I’ve got my F1 visa (prior to get selected.)
So chances are I’ll still get asked about my DV selection at the POE even without DS260 submission?
Like I already stated, the possibility cannot be ruled. You can be asked about anything at the POE.

Hi there! I've been selected for DV2024 and decided to go with AOS. Currently, I'm working in the USA on an E2 visa. As I started gathering the necessary information for the DS-260 form, I noticed a mistake in my girl's name. I accidentally reversed her first name and middle name. Now I'm wondering what steps I can take to correct her name before submitting the DS-260 form. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!