• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

In addition to the sound response already provided by both @lenok68 and Susie, I have just one more thing to add. Is your J1 subject to a 2 year home residency requirement, and if it is have you already obtained the required waiver to address this residency requirement?
Thanks for answering mine is a f1 no j1 I misspelled

Is early filling a new option because I have been assessed to not do it beefore than my month of allocation number is due that means 1 of September? They can just avoid my process?
I’d second on Susie’s reply: going over AOS process and especially FAQ section is tremendously useful. It covers early filling too. Basically, it allows you to send your documents to the Lockbox two months prior to the month your number becomes current. So, it starts in July for you.

Do I have to wait until September 1st which is my bulletin allocation number or can I send my documents now?

Is early filling a new option because I have been assessed to not do it beefore than my month of allocation number is due that means 1 of September? They can just avoid my process?
Sounds like you haven’t read the spreadsheet yet…it’s there precisely so that (1) you know exactly what to do (2) everyone else doesn’t have to answer the same questions over and over.

Sounds like you haven’t read the spreadsheet yet…it’s there precisely so that (1) you know exactly what to do (2) everyone else doesn’t have to answer the same questions over and over.
Sorry to ask again but my only concern is if I can send papers before the month of September that is where my case number appears ??

Sorry if it was already asked

1. first step after my CN in current is to pay DV lottery $330 fee

OR

need to pay DV fee and AOS fee (330 + 1440) * persons (both same time)?

2. what is faster and better (less mistakes) cachier check of money order?

Thank you

Sorry if it was already asked

1. first step after my CN in current is to pay DV lottery $330 fee

OR

need to pay DV fee and AOS fee (330 + 1440) * persons (both same time)?

2. what is faster and better (less mistakes) cachier check of money order?

Thank you
@Soley actually did you a favor by listing the initial steps for you in this post back on Wednesday.

And you should also go through the AOS PROCESS SPREADSHEET as previously recommended!

GO THROUGH THE AOS PROCESS SPREADSHEET as already recommended! You'll find the answer to that question and a lot more.
Thanks mom but doenst say anything about dates mainly because I was told that you have to send 1 September but now somebody in this helpful blog is saying that there is an early filing option. That’s my only concern and question and I cannot find any official document that information.

Thanks mom but doenst say anything about dates mainly because I was told that you have to send 1 September but now somebody in this helpful blog is saying that there is an early filing option. That’s my only concern and question and I cannot find any official document that information.

Step 10 of the AOS Process tab/sheet on the AOS Process Spreadsheet clearly says:
1720904324475.png

And if you're looking for an official source, see below:

1720904217461.png

Hello,

My CN is EU49k, which shows it will become current in September. Reading the spreadsheets, I believe Early Filing is the only option for me to make it. I have several questions before submitting my package.
1. I read FAQs, and it says I can submit my application without Fee Receipt, 2NL, and Health forms and take them with me to the interview. Given my case (time constraint of Sep and high CN) do you think it is wise for me or I am being too paranoid to rush into submitting and it would be best to wait for receipt and 2NL and Health form i-693?
2. Right now my STEM OPT application is pending. I don't know if I need to submit a new i-765 form or not. If my application cannot make it to green card till September, do I lose my F-1 status (STEM OPT) as well? I am working for e-verify employer so I am compliant in all other parts of my F-1 status. Overall any important things I should be aware of on pending STEM OPT compared to other AOS applicant?

Thanks in advance!

Hello,

My CN is EU49k, which shows it will become current in September. Reading the spreadsheets, I believe Early Filing is the only option for me to make it. I have several questions before submitting my package.
1. I read FAQs, and it says I can submit my application without Fee Receipt, 2NL, and Health forms and take them with me to the interview. Given my case (time constraint of Sep and high CN) do you think it is wise for me or I am being too paranoid to rush into submitting and it would be best to wait for receipt and 2NL and Health form i-693?
2. Right now my STEM OPT application is pending. I don't know if I need to submit a new i-765 form or not. If my application cannot make it to green card till September, do I lose my F-1 status (STEM OPT) as well? I am working for e-verify employer so I am compliant in all other parts of my F-1 status. Overall any important things I should be aware of on pending STEM OPT compared to other AOS applicant?

Thanks in advance!
1. In addition to the FAQ section of the AOS Process spreadsheet saying one may submit their AOS package without the DV payment receipt and/or the medical report, I’m sure it also talks about the potential negative impact of not including those documents with the AOS package. So you need to decide on your own how risk averse you are and make your own decision on this.
2. Inability to successfully complete the AOS process will not on its own cause you to loose your F1 status. If your current status is STEM OPT pending (with no other valid status) the STEM OPT will need to be approved first before your AOS application can be approved.

1. In addition to the FAQ section of the AOS Process spreadsheet saying one may submit their AOS package without the DV payment receipt and/or the medical report, I’m sure it also talks about the potential negative impact of not including those documents with the AOS package. So you need to decide on your own how risk averse you are and make your own decision on this.
2. Inability to successfully complete the AOS process will not on its own cause you to loose your F1 status. If your current status is STEM OPT pending (with no other valid status) the STEM OPT will need to be approved first before your AOS application can be approved.
Thank you for your response. Given the approval of my STEM OPT application is highly unlikely before the end of Sep, does it mean that I shouldn’t apply before hearing STEM OPT approved? Aren’t my OPT EAD card and for i-797 (stem extension notice) sufficient for application?

1. In addition to the FAQ section of the AOS Process spreadsheet saying one may submit their AOS package without the DV payment receipt and/or the medical report, I’m sure it also talks about the potential negative impact of not including those documents with the AOS package. So you need to decide on your ask how risk averse you are and make your own decision on this.
Mom,
For the statement" ..............If your current status is STEM OPT pending (with no other valid status) the STEM OPT will need to be approved first before your AOS application can be approved"
"
Do you mean with pending status, the AOS application "cannot be successfully submitted" or "Adjudicated Approved"?

Last edited:
Thank you for your response. Given the approval of my STEM OPT application is highly unlikely before the end of Sep, does it mean that I shouldn’t apply before hearing STEM OPT approved? Aren’t my OPT EAD card and for i-797 (stem extension notice) sufficient for application?
You need to be in a valid status before an AOS application can be approved. AOS application can be filed while one has a pending status application in the system. The AOS application however cannot be approved until the pending status application has been approved.

Mom,
For the statement" ..............If your current status is STEM OPT pending (with no other valid status) the STEM OPT will need to be approved first before your AOS application can be approved"
"
Do you mean with pending status, the AOS application "cannot be successfully submitted" or "Adjudicated Approved"?
Can you explain what you understand “application cannot be successfully submitted” to mean”?

Can you explain what you understand “application cannot be successfully submitted” to mean”?
To submit the AOS application successfully, I need to be on valid status in US (pending application for a valid status wont cut it). My NIV visa status can expire after AOS successful submission (have received NOA) and the officer will adjudicate the AOS application regardless of other visa pending application right? This is because i am under Authorized stay status. right?

Last edited:
You need to be in a valid status before an AOS application can be approved. AOS application can be filed while one has a pending status application in the system. The AOS application however cannot be approved until the pending status application has been approved.
hmm I got you. It seems like by applying for AOS while STEM is pending, I am only risking my money which is ok. Do you know if I got a rejection from AOS or if my STEM OPT is not approved by Sep 30 preventing my AOS to be approved, does it affect my STEM OPT or F-1 status?

To submit the AOS application successfully, I need to be on valid status in US (pending application for a valid status wont cut it). My NIV visa status can expire after AOS successful submission (have received NOA) and the officer will adjudicate the AOS application regardless of other visa pending application right? This is because i am under Authorized stay status. right?
Here is a post where I had a similar question a few months ago (hoping I've shared it properly):

We had to file I-539 for our children as their I-94's were expiring before the AOS was going to be adjudicated. From my understanding, you are able to remain in the US while your application is pending, for up to 240 days. Mom did state in the link above that there are some occasions were the AOS approval may be delayed while waiting for the I-539 approval.

Not sure of your situation (or what you filed), but I also read that you can file your I-485 with a pending I-539 but USCIS will adjudicate the I-539 first. Honestly not sure how it works with the FY deadline approaching and the time to adjudicate I-539 taking an exceptionally long time. I feel it's likely the reason why our case is being held up. I'm hoping to find out more information this week.

Last edited: