• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

Sorry, can’t help you with this. I do not provide tax filing guidance. Wondering what does your lawyer have to say about this though

Oh, wow, I definitely didn't mean to irritate you by mentioning my lawyer's screwups. If it helps for you to treat me like any other user of this forum, my lawyer has "buzzed off" per your recommendation.

I'm not seeking tax filing advice; I just want to make sure that the tax extension form itself is sufficient.

Other than that, I really appreciate all the help you've provided to me during my preparation.

Oh, wow, I definitely didn't mean to irritate you by mentioning my lawyer's screwups. If it helps for you to treat me like any other user of this forum, my lawyer has "buzzed off" per your recommendation.

I'm not seeking tax filing advice; I just want to make sure that the tax extension form itself is sufficient.

Other than that, I really appreciate all the help you've provided to me during my preparation.
If you go into the IRS website you can download tax transcripts for the last few years.

For the most recent year that you have an extension for, I would take that copy along and also anything that is available for download for that particular year.

I believe that portion of documentation is to show that you submit and pay taxes, have income, etc. As long as you can document you are abiding by the rules that IRS set forth (and they do allow extensions) then I think you should be fine. Not tax advice, but using common sense.

Good luck at your interview.

lol - I think you misunderstood my response. I’m certainly not irritated by the fact that you have/had a lawyer, or that the lawyer screwed up. I’m just trying to let you know there are some certain areas I stay off of for personal reasons - tax filing intricacies and their attendant ramifications being one of those. And I was genuinely curious to know what the lawyer has to say about your proposed plans.

Seeing members of this forum successfully complete the process (regardless of if they have some lawyer on the side helping them or not), gives me so much joy. So yeah, of course I will continue to guide and support you in the areas I’m most comfortable doing so until you hopefully get your GC.

lol - I think you misunderstood my response. I’m certainly not irritated by the fact that you have/had a lawyer, or that the lawyer screwed up. I’m just trying to let you know there are some certain areas I stay off of for personal reasons - tax filing intricacies and their attendant ramifications being one of those. And I was genuinely curious to know what the lawyer has to say about your proposed plans.

Seeing members of this forum successfully complete the process (regardless of if they have some lawyer on the side helping them or not), gives me so much joy. So yeah, of course I will continue to guide and support you in the areas I’m most comfortable doing so until you hopefully get your GC.
I definitely misunderstood your response, lol. My law firm has screwed up so many times already that I treated your genuine interest as sarcasm. I personally don't want to know their position. Thanks for the clarification, and my apologies for the misunderstanding.

To close this topic, I've read forum history related to tax questions and found that it really depends on the IO (like most other aspects of the AOS). I found some complex tax situations that were never addressed by the IO during the interview. With this being said, it's always better to have a complete package and IRS transcripts in place, and in case of any deviations, the applicant should be ready to explain.

Thanks for your help @Sm1smom and @megdavidson26!

Hi mom and all, a quick question please.

I filed my new I-485 and it was delivered to lockbox on July 5 but I didn't receive an SMS or NOA for the receipt. My authorized stay will expire around mid-next week hence I'm a quite concerned. What happens if receipt SMS or NOA does not come before my authorized stay expires?

I filed my new I-485 and it was delivered to lockbox on July 5 but I didn't receive an SMS or NOA for the receipt. My authorized stay will expire around mid-next week hence I'm a quite concerned. What happens if receipt SMS or NOA does not come before my authorized stay expires?
Your filing date is the date you delivered the package to the post office not the acceptance date, so don't worry.

Hi mom and all,
I fielded my I485 on May 10, and did biometrics on June 11. Today I realized that a new edition of the I485 file was published in April, while I use the previous edition for filing. Does this lead to any problems?

Hi mom and all,
I fielded my I485 on May 10, and did biometrics on June 11. Today I realized that a new edition of the I485 file was published in April, while I use the previous edition for filing. Does this lead to any problems?
Your package has been accepted, hasn't it? Since you received the biometric notice, you should be good.

The date USCIS officially accepts your AOS package is considered your filing date AFAIK. So IMHO, you’ll have to wait and see (with fingers crossed), and hope USCIS officially accepts the new package before your authorized stay expires. The acceptance notification may come after the authorized stay expires, it wouldn’t matter as long as the acceptance date is noted to be before the expiration of the authorized stay.

The date USCIS officially accepts your AOS package is considered your filing date AFAIK. So IMHO, you’ll have to wait and see (with fingers crossed), and hope USCIS officially accepts the new package before your authorized stay expires. The acceptance notification may come after the authorized stay expires, it wouldn’t matter as long as the acceptance date is noted to be before the expiration of the authorized stay.
Mom, my filing date is the date I gave my package to the post office. Two days later, it was delivered, and after about a week, they sent the acceptance. That's why I assume the filing date is the date we give our package to the post office.

Mom, my filing date is the date I gave my package to the post office. Two days later, it was delivered, and after about a week, they sent the acceptance. That's why I assume the filing date is the date we give our package to the post office.
Filing date is whatever is listed on your I-797C that acknowledged your application:

USCIS considers a benefit request “received” on the date it is physically or electronically received. This date is also known as the submission or filing date,[29] and is listed on the receipt notice, or the date stamp (where applicable), issued by USCIS. Requestors may only obtain a date of receipt or filing date if their submission is accepted at the proper location, as designated on the USCIS All Forms webpage. USCIS does not assign a date of receipt or filing date to benefit requests that are rejected

[1] https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-1-part-b-chapter-6

Your package has been accepted, hasn't it? Since you received the biometric notice, you should be good.

Thank you @Soley and @Sm1smom !

Yes, I can confirm that the delivery date was my filing date for my first application as per the decision letter. As you said, hopefully they will confirm receipt before the expiration date so I can have one less thing I need to worry about. Fingers crossed!
I tried to look up some information or applicant experience around this but I couldn't find any examples. I would greatly appreciate if you can find any.

Thank you @Soley and @Sm1smom !

Yes, I can confirm that the delivery date was my filing date for my first application as per the decision letter. As you said, hopefully they will confirm receipt before the expiration date so I can have one less thing I need to worry about. Fingers crossed!
I tried to look up some information or applicant experience around this but I couldn't find any examples. I would greatly appreciate if you can find any.
You misread my response. Acceptance confirmation may come after your authorized stay expires. If that were to happen, it wouldn't matter as long as, internally, the case was officially accepted before your authorized stay expires. The date noted on the NOA is the official, internally considered, acceptance date.

You misread my response. Acceptance confirmation may come after your authorized stay expires. If that were to happen, it wouldn't matter as long as, internally, the case was officially accepted before your authorized stay expires. The date noted on the NOA is the official, internally considered, acceptance date.
Ah I see. Then we will have no clue as to what will be the acceptance date, date that matters for my application. I hope for the soonest. Also, do you have any advice in case it doesn’t come?

Ah I see. Then we will have no clue as to what will be the acceptance date, date that matters for my application. I hope for the soonest. Also, do you have any advice in case it doesn’t come?
I don't know what else you can do at this point except you wait for the NOA, that is what serves as confirmation of your filing date. I think this has already been stated.

Hi, mom

Both my wife and I have received the status update "case is ready to be scheduled for an interview." Her date has also been updated to today. It seems the previous update may have been an error. We hope to receive our interview dates soon.