• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Process Only

Maximum how much does it take to receive form 797 (biometric) after receiving the receipt number message?
Take a look at the Timeline spreadsheet. You'll see how long on average it took other folks to receive their bio notice following the NOA receipt. You should also add your case progress to the Timeline spreadsheet by the way, in order to continue receiving applicable response to your questions.

Hi Mom,

I just found out that one of the notice letters from USCIS wasn't delivered to me and got returned. I did get the biometric appointment letter, and I haven’t changed my address, so I’m not sure what went wrong. I’ve already completed my biometrics and am waiting for the interview letter. I've submitted an e-request as instructed in my case, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do about this issue.

Hi, mom

Both my wife and I have received the status update "case is ready to be scheduled for an interview." Her date has also been updated to today. It seems the previous update may have been an error. We hope to receive our interview dates soon.
Thanks for the update. Although like I've always stated, the ready to be scheduled for an interview update means nothing, considering most DV based applications do not even get that update.

Hi Mom,

I just found out that one of the notice letters from USCIS wasn't delivered to me and got returned. I did get the biometric appointment letter, and I haven’t changed my address, so I’m not sure what went wrong. I’ve already completed my biometrics and am waiting for the interview letter. I've submitted an e-request as instructed in my case, but I'm wondering if there's anything else I can do about this issue.
Try contact an agent either through EMMA or by calling the 1800 number, they sometimes may be able to see/tell which notice is being returned as undeliverable.

Meanwhile, if you could add your case progress to the Timeline spreadsheet, that would be great as other AOSers may be able to benefit from your case progress.

Hello again,

I have recently discovered that "Table 1: Vaccine Requirements According to Applicant Age for Civil Surgeons" has been updated since I underwent my medical exam. Currently, there is a requirement for a polio (IPV) vaccine for my age group. However, last year, the table did not include this requirement.

I have carefully reviewed the USCIS Policy Manual Chapter 9 Adjudication Steps, and based on my understanding, the IO should issue an RFE since I do not satisfy the requirements of the current Table 1.

1) Could you please confirm if my interpretation is correct?
2) If it is indeed correct, and considering I have some time, should I proceed with getting the vaccination and provide the documentation to the IO?
3) Additionally, should I take the next step and request an updated I-693 from my civil surgeon based on the revised table?

Thanks.

Take a look at the Timeline spreadsheet. You'll see how long on average it took other folks to receive their bio notice following the NOA receipt. You should also add your case progress to the Timeline spreadsheet by the way, in order to continue receiving applicable response to your questions.
I want but I can't, it's locked

Hello again,

I have recently discovered that "Table 1: Vaccine Requirements According to Applicant Age for Civil Surgeons" has been updated since I underwent my medical exam. Currently, there is a requirement for a polio (IPV) vaccine for my age group. However, last year, the table did not include this requirement.

I have carefully reviewed the USCIS Policy Manual Chapter 9 Adjudication Steps, and based on my understanding, the IO should issue an RFE since I do not satisfy the requirements of the current Table 1.

1) Could you please confirm if my interpretation is correct?
2) If it is indeed correct, and considering I have some time, should I proceed with getting the vaccination and provide the documentation to the IO?
3) Additionally, should I take the next step and request an updated I-693 from my civil surgeon based on the revised table?

Thanks.
The only way to be adequately prepared in this situation, IMHO, is to attend your interview with an updated I-693 (which the IO may or may not require). If this was my case, I'll get the polio vaccine and approach my CS for an updated medical report (which I expect they will charge for, of course). Then take the updated medical report along to my interview, and pre-emptively inform my IO (at the end of my interview) that I have an updated medical report to submit. This is to guard against the IO realizing after my departure that my medical report is incomplete and subsequently issuing a RFE.

I usually do not recommend providing the IO with unsolicited material/information, but this is one instance where I believe doing so wouldn't hurt.

Hey everyone,

Here's an update on my case:

While I was preparing the documents for submission, I reached out to my congressman, explaining the whole situation and informing them that I was going to resubmit my I-485 form. I resubmitted the I-485 form on May 2nd. They accepted my case on May 8th, and on May 16th, they noted that my fingerprints were taken. On June 7th, I received a response from USCIS stating that they had not received any returned mail for my interview notice, so it was my fault that I missed the interview. However, they have received my new case and scheduled an interview for June 27th. Yesterday, June 12th, I received the interview notice by mail. There’s an attached checklist of documents I need to bring with me.

I have a few concerns about which documents I actually need to bring, especially considering all the issues with Form I-693 that I've been seeing in various forums.

1. The scanner didn't capture the marker color well, but if you look closely, you can see that the public charge section is highlighted. The thing is, I didn't work much last year for several reasons and only worked the last quarter. However, I've been working hard this year and my income significantly exceeds the poverty line. I also have a substantial amount of savings in my bank account. Will it be sufficient to show my bank statement for the last month and pay stubs for the last five months (since June isn’t over yet)?

2. Is Form 325-A still required? I've seen on various sites that it's no longer needed because the information it contains is now included in the I-485, but I couldn't find confirmation of this on the USCIS website.

3. Regarding Form I-693, do I need to see a doctor for a new one? I had a medical exam in early January 2024, updated my COVID vaccine, and got a flu shot. Also, when I needed the form again for submission, I visited the doctor for a new form in early May. The thing is, my documents and I-485 form were in one envelope, and the I-693 form was in another because it was sealed in a 9 x 12 envelope. I decided to send them together in similar envelopes rather than finding a larger envelope to fit the I-693 into the I-485. I placed both envelopes inside a large USPS envelope and attached a cover letter explaining the contents and the separate envelopes.
Sorry for the long message. I thought it would be helpful to lay out the issues in detail.

Hey everyone. Just wanted to share my interview experience with you all:

The interview was scheduled for June 27th at 9AM. I arrived at 8:45. At the entrance, they checked all my things through a metal detector. In the large waiting room, I approached the check-in window. A disgruntled woman took my invitation, asked if I had any accompanying people or lawyers, and directed me to the far end of the hall to wait.

There were two screens in the hall, but I didn’t know what they were showing. They called me at 9:20. Upon entering the office, I was asked to put my things on the table, raise my right hand, and swear to tell the truth. Nobody took my phone. No one took or looked at my passport either.

The officer informed me that the officer who was supposed to conduct the interview was not there, but he would do it instead, gather all the necessary data I brought, and pass it to the original officer. The officer would make a decision the next day.

He asked why I didn’t show up for the first interview. I replied that I didn’t receive the invitation letter. I noticed he had two of my cases: the old one and the new one, even with my photos. Interestingly, the cases were hole-punched at the top and all the documents were "stitched" together. The I-485, I-693, diplomas, birth certificate translations—everything was clipped together. He asked my name, place of birth (city and country), citizenship, my parents’ names, where they live, my height, how I make a living, and if I had ever received a visa before.

He asked for the documents I brought as proof of financial independence. He added them to my case. He asked if I had the I-134 form. I said no. This form shows that someone is financially supporting you. He wrote on a small square piece of paper: I-134-NO, Evidence of personal financial assets-YES.

Then came the questions: if I was associated with terrorists, drugs, alcohol, jail, violence, communists, private military organizations, etc. If I had ever illegally crossed borders, if I had experience handling weapons. The only question where the answer was "Yes" was if I had received cash assistance.

He asked for my driver's license (ID) and employment authorization document (EAD) to scan them. Although I had already sent copies of these in my case twice. While he was out, I saw a letter from the FBI on his desk with my details, photo, thumbprint, and three lines with the word PASSED.

When he returned, he asked me to sign the end of the I-485 and that concluded the interview. He said this should be enough, but if they need anything else, they would contact me. The interview ended at 9:40. Total interview time: 20 minutes.

It’s worth noting that the interview was on a Thursday. On Friday, I didn’t get a case update. I was going through all the scenarios of what could be wrong. Living through to Monday, July 1st, I got an update at noon: New Card Is Being Produced. On Wednesday (July 3rd), I got an update: Case Approved. On Tuesday (July 9th), I got an update: Card Was Mailed To Me. On July 8th, I received a new SSN, the same as my old one, and on July 12th, I received my green card

What is the difference between "NOA letter" and "Bio notice" that have two separate columns in the spreadsheet?
Which one is i797 ?
And does i797 contain the place and date of the biometric?

What is the difference between "NOA letter" and "Bio notice" that have two separate columns in the spreadsheet?
Which one is i797 ?
And does i797 contain the place and date of the biometric?
Noa is the first letter you receive as accepted application. Bio notice is for biometrics appointment.

Hi I want to know when is the right time to send papers with I-485 form and payment if my number is included in September bulletin and will go trough change of status because I have a j1 visa ?
I already sent 330 dollars for AOS process to start

Hi I want to know when is the right time to send papers with I-485 form and payment if my number is included in September bulletin and will go trough change of status because I have a j1 visa ?
With early filling option available, I’d say ASAP. Realistically, you also need the medical exam and proof that these $330 were received.
But it’s better to see what Mom says about it. Early filling is always a little risky though I sent my package in November, and my number became current in January. The package was accepted.

It sounds like you have not yet gone through the AOS spreadsheet. It is linked in the first post of this thread and contains details of what to do when. Given there are only 2.5 months left in the fiscal year, most people would take advantage of early filing, which is now officially included in the USCIS manual (and not just a memo as it was before), and file asap. Suggest you read the spreadsheet thoroughly before filing to ensure you have everything correct.

In addition to the sound response already provided by both @lenok68 and Susie, I have just one more thing to add. Is your J1 subject to a 2 year home residency requirement, and if it is have you already obtained the required waiver to address this residency requirement?

With early filling option available, I’d say ASAP. Realistically, you also need the medical exam and proof that these $330 were received.
But it’s better to see what Mom says about it. Early filling is always a little risky though I sent my package in November, and my number became current in January. The package was accepted.
Do I have to wait until September 1st which is my bulletin allocation number or can I send my documents now?

Is early filling a new option because I have been assessed to not do it beefore than my month of allocation number is due that means 1 of September? They can just avoid my process?

It sounds like you have not yet gone through the AOS spreadsheet. It is linked in the first post of this thread and contains details of what to do when. Given there are only 2.5 months left in the fiscal year, most people would take advantage of early filing, which is now officially included in the USCIS manual (and not just a memo as it was before), and file asap. Suggest you read the spreadsheet thoroughly before filing to ensure you have everything correct.
Thanks