• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 All Selectees (Consular Processing - CP)

Hello, I had sent a message for AOS DV2024 but after rereading and thinking about my case (I remind you that I have a high number and my J1 visa ends in June 2024) I will choose the consular process, if I get an appointment before June, I will take a plane, (I remind you that I live and work in the United States.)
I still have a few questions:
1- I have to notify KCC of my change, but I filled out the DS 270 on May 8 and indicated AOS so what exactly do I have to say to do the consular process?
2- Will this change penalize me? Will it affect my file?
3- if my case number is current, will I receive an e-mail for an appointment, or I need to do something?
4- do I have time to get on a plane and show up for the appointment?
5- and should I make the medical appointment in advance, around January or before?
6- what papers do I need to present? It's not really clear on the official DV web page?
7- do I need to present all my high school and university diplomas, both original and legally translated?
8- and finally, do I need to present my marriage certificate, which is less than 3 months old?
9- and do I have to send the documents or wait for the appointment?
10- and lastly, as I live in the United States, I've put my address here, so how can I get an appointment at the consulate?

Thank you very much for your help.

Hello, I had sent a message for AOS DV2024 but after rereading and thinking about my case (I remind you that I have a high number and my J1 visa ends in June 2024) I will choose the consular process, if I get an appointment before June, I will take a plane, (I remind you that I live and work in the United States.)
I still have a few questions:
1- I have to notify KCC of my change, but I filled out the DS 270 on May 8 and indicated AOS so what exactly do I have to say to do the consular process?
2- Will this change penalize me? Will it affect my file?
3- if my case number is current, will I receive an e-mail for an appointment, or I need to do something?
4- do I have time to get on a plane and show up for the appointment?
5- and should I make the medical appointment in advance, around January or before?
6- what papers do I need to present? It's not really clear on the official DV web page?
7- do I need to present all my high school and university diplomas, both original and legally translated?
8- and finally, do I need to present my marriage certificate, which is less than 3 months old?
9- and do I have to send the documents or wait for the appointment?
10- and lastly, as I live in the United States, I've put my address here, so how can I get an appointment at the consulate?

Thank you very much for your help.
1. You will email KCC to inform them you wish to switch over to CP as you plan on attending your interview at the applicable embassy with jurisdiction over your permanent home address (you’ll include the home address in your country on the email).
2. Folks have successfully switched from AOS to CP, and vice versa, in the past, so I don’t know what you mean by if you will be penalize for switching.
3. Couple of things will need to happen before you receive an IL for CP - CN becomes current + KCC completes processing your DS260 + embassy’s capacity to accept and process DV cases. When those three conditions are in alignment, KCC will schedule your interview and you will subsequently receive the interview letter.
4. Yes of course. How else will you attend the scheduled interview appointment at the embassy?
5. No, you cannot do that.
6, 7, 8, 9. The required documents are clearly listed on the DV website. Your questions indicate to me you’ve not carefully gone through the website. I suggest you spend some quality time and diligently going over the DV website linked below.
10. See 1 above.

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply and I contacted KCC, they replied very quickly, and made the change. Then I specified in my e-mail that I had changed my mailing address to the United States. They told me I'd have to make the change on the DS, but I don't know exactly when now or when I'll receive my interview - will I receive it by e-mail or by post?

“Based on the information you have provided, your interview location has been changed from Adjustment of Status to Paris. The new interview location will not appear on your DS-260, but will be used by KCC for scheduling purposes. When we have scheduled your interview, you will be required to log into the Entrant Status Check (ESC) to view your appointment notification. At that time, please verify that your appointment is scheduled for the correct post. If for any reason it is not, you may contact KCC again. You will also need to request that KCC unlock your DS-260, so that you can update your application with your new address. (Please note that Post Office Boxes and mailing addresses in care of another person do not justify a change of interview location.)”

And which address should I use, the one in my home country or the one in the USA? In my email I gave my address from my native country.

And I am not sure about this part :

“Once unlocked, if you would like for KCC to process your application, you must resubmit it. A DS-260 will not continue processing unless it is re-submitted. Unlocking an application is the only way to make changes, or to prevent a form from being processed.”

What does it mean re-submitted ?

And finally, at the end of the e-mail, KCC says that all cases will be processed. Do they always say that but only do current cases, or will all cases really be processed this year for 2024? My CN is high.

“Interviews for the DV 2024 program will begin October 1, 2023, and process through September 30, 2024. All DV 2024 cases must be completely processed by September 30, 2024.”

And last question, since we're not supposed to overwhelm KCC with e-mails, can I reply with a simple thank-you?

Thank you again for your support!

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply and I contacted KCC, they replied very quickly, and made the change. Then I specified in my e-mail that I had changed my mailing address to the United States. They told me I'd have to make the change on the DS, but I don't know exactly when now or when I'll receive my interview - will I receive it by e-mail or by post?

“Based on the information you have provided, your interview location has been changed from Adjustment of Status to Paris. The new interview location will not appear on your DS-260, but will be used by KCC for scheduling purposes. When we have scheduled your interview, you will be required to log into the Entrant Status Check (ESC) to view your appointment notification. At that time, please verify that your appointment is scheduled for the correct post. If for any reason it is not, you may contact KCC again. You will also need to request that KCC unlock your DS-260, so that you can update your application with your new address. (Please note that Post Office Boxes and mailing addresses in care of another person do not justify a change of interview location.)”

And which address should I use, the one in my home country or the one in the USA? In my email I gave my address from my native country.

And I am not sure about this part :

“Once unlocked, if you would like for KCC to process your application, you must resubmit it. A DS-260 will not continue processing unless it is re-submitted. Unlocking an application is the only way to make changes, or to prevent a form from being processed.”

What does it mean re-submitted ?

And finally, at the end of the e-mail, KCC says that all cases will be processed. Do they always say that but only do current cases, or will all cases really be processed this year for 2024? My CN is high.

“Interviews for the DV 2024 program will begin October 1, 2023, and process through September 30, 2024. All DV 2024 cases must be completely processed by September 30, 2024.”

And last question, since we're not supposed to overwhelm KCC with e-mails, can I reply with a simple thank-you?

Thank you again for your support!
1. Nothing gets mailed to you. You’ll receive an email notification to log into ESC and retrieve your interview details. Since they’ve confirmed your interview process change, I don’t see a need to update the current address on your DS260 form to your home address in your country while you’re actually still in the US (although we did recommend doing so a couple of years back to some folks, not updating the current address to the home country address while not currently based there wouldn’t have been an issue I’ve since realized).
2. The form is considered re-submitted anything it gets unlocked by KCC and gets submitted again by the applicant.
3. All DS260 forms for CP get processed in order of receipt while the FY is still current and the applicable visas have not been exhausted.
4. A thank you note is unnecessary.

p.s. number your questions when you have more than one per post.

Hi Super Moderator,

Can I return home for 2 months right after I receive my physical green card in the US? How long does it typically take to receive a green card once I entered the US? Thank you in advance.

Hi Super Moderator,

Can I return home for 2 months right after I receive my physical green card in the US? How long does it typically take to receive a green card once I entered the US? Thank you in advance.
1. Yes you can.
2. Could be anywhere between a couple of weeks to months.

Hi @Sm1smom , @Britsimon

My father won the lottery this time, and I filled his and my moms DS 260. I’m on F1 visa here in US. I added my apartment as the address to which they would come, and to which their green cards should be posted.

Is this any sort of a risk? Since I’m a student atm. And will they assume the fact that I may not be able to afford their living cost when they get here?

The winner is from Sri Lanka

Last edited:
Hi @Sm1smom , @Britsimon

Also would it be an issue if we consider one of my friends who’s a PR of the US, who’s 23 years old, who’s working at the reputed company earning a good salary to sponsor my mom and dad, who are above 60?

Will the age factor of the sponsor be any major concern ? Please let me know. Thank you

Also, I submitted the DS 260s at the end of May, how long does it take to get to the next step? What would be the next step, since it is not required to share the scanned documents to KCC this time. Please clarify. Thank you

Hi @Sm1smom , @Britsimon

My father won the lottery this time, and I filled his and my moms DS 260. I’m on F1 visa here in US. I added my apartment as the address to which they would come, and to which their green cards should be posted.

Is this any sort of a risk? Since I’m a student atm. And will they assume the fact that I may not be able to afford their living cost when they get here?

The winner is from Sri Lanka
Listing your US address on your parents’ DS260 as their potential address does not automatically mean you are their sponsor. If the intent is for you to be their sponsor for the purpose of overcoming public charge requirement, then yes that will be a problem since you’re a student. You do not meet the criteria for being a sponsor.

Hi @Sm1smom , @Britsimon

Also would it be an issue if we consider one of my friends who’s a PR of the US, who’s 23 years old, who’s working at the reputed company earning a good salary to sponsor my mom and dad, who are above 60?

Will the age factor of the sponsor be any major concern ? Please let me know. Thank you
Your friend’s age is irrelevant. If his income is above the minimum poverty threshold applicable to his household combined with your parents’, using him as the sponsor should not be a problem.
Also, I submitted the DS 260s at the end of May, how long does it take to get to the next step? What would be the next step, since it is not required to share the scanned documents to KCC this time. Please clarify. Thank you
Next step will be when their CN becomes current and if KCC is done processing their DS260 forms. So for now, monitor the VB progression from when those of 2024 FY gets released (starting from August).

Hi @Sm1smom
Thank you for the responses. They are really helpful.

I also need to know, should my dad mention all the schools that he went to under the education section in DS 260? Or mentioning his high school is enough where he graduated? Kindly let me know. Thank you.

Hi @Sm1smom

I also need to know, should my dad mention all the schools that he went to under the education section in DS 260? Or mentioning his high school is enough where he graduated? Kindly let me know. Thank you.
What does the actual question on the DS260 say?

Have you attended any educational institutions?
Highest Level of Education Completed
Number of Educational Institutions Attended
Is your Dad’s highest educational level high school or did he progress beyond that level?

So if the question is about highest educational level attained, why are you asking if mentioning just the HS alone is enough if he has a university degree?
Because, as I got to know The embassy mostly only checks for the high school graduation certificate. since it is the minimum education level requirement they check for. Therefore, would you think providing information since secondary education would be better?

Hi @Sm1smom

You list ALL the schools you went to. The form allows you to add more than one educational institution. So, you add all of them.