• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2024 All Selectees (Consular Processing - CP)

okay good. do you need an attorney to file AOS or we should be fine using your AOS process spreadsheet? Does she also need to file EOS?
Please read the spreadsheet first…it has been put together by sm1smom over the years and has everything you need. Attorneys are generally not familiar with DV AoS and in the past have caused harm to cases, so personally would not recommend.
no to EOS, as she would need to describe in there why she will leave the US after the extension period is up, and she is clearly planning to stay. As you will see in the spreadsheet, once she submits i485 her status becomes adjustment pending and she can lawfully stay at least until that is adjudicated, at which point obviously you hope to get the green card.

Please read the spreadsheet first…it has been put together by sm1smom over the years and has everything you need. Attorneys are generally not familiar with DV AoS and in the past have caused harm to cases, so personally would not recommend.
no to EOS, as she would need to describe in there why she will leave the US after the extension period is up, and she is clearly planning to stay. As you will see in the spreadsheet, once she submits i485 her status becomes adjustment pending and she can lawfully stay at least until that is adjudicated, at which point obviously you hope to get the green card.
Great stuff SusieQQQ! Thanks a million, much appreciated.

Hi, does anyone have a sample email/letter about informing KCC of changing from CP to AOS....just as a guide/template. Thanks in advance

Hi, does anyone have a sample email/letter about informing KCC of changing from CP to AOS....just as a guide/template. Thanks in advance
Follow the instructions on your selectee notification letter on how to write contact the KCC for the first part. For the second part, inform them you’re now based in the US and will be proceeding with your DV selection via AOS processing.

Follow the instructions on your selectee notification letter on how to write contact the KCC for the first part. For the second part, inform them you’re now based in the US and will be proceeding with your DV selection via AOS processing.
Will do. Thank you Mom!

Hi Mom,

So we sent an email to KCC today requesting for AOS processing and here's the response we got from them:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Your case number is now current for interview processing........and that Because your case is ready to be scheduled, KCC can no longer unlock your application or change your interview location.

Not sure what to do? Any assistance will be appreciated.

Hi Mom,

So we sent an email to KCC today requesting for AOS processing and here's the response we got from them:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Your case number is now current for interview processing........and that Because your case is ready to be scheduled, KCC can no longer unlock your application or change your interview location.

Not sure what to do? Any assistance will be appreciated.
Yeah, I’m not surprised by the response about KCC’s inability to change the interview location at this point. Change of interview location is better requested before the CN becomes current.

At this point, you have the option of waiting to be scheduled for a CP interview, or proceed with initiating AOS. Your KCC file which goes to your embassy will need to get sent to the FO with jurisdiction over the AOS application, so you need to be prepared to work with the embassy to get them to forward the KCC file to the FO later on in the process.

p.s. if you decide to proceed with AOS, please post follow up AOS questions on the AOS thread.

Yeah, I’m not surprised by the response about KCC’s inability to change the interview location at this point. Change of interview location is better requested before the CN becomes current.

At this point, you have the option of waiting to be scheduled for a CP interview, or proceed with initiating AOS. Your KCC file which goes to your embassy will need to get sent to the FO with jurisdiction over the AOS application, so you need to be prepared to work with the embassy to get them to forward the KCC file to the FO later on in the process.

p.s. if you decide to proceed with AOS, please post follow up AOS questions on the AOS thread.
Thanks Mom for the usual quick response.

I want to go with the option to initiate AOS and not wait to be scheduled. Given the reply from KCC, I was wondering where to start to initiate AOS?

Thanks Mom for the usual quick response.

I want to go with the option to initiate AOS and not wait to be scheduled. Given the reply from KCC, I was wondering where to start to initiate AOS?
Go through the AOS process spreadsheet, Susie referred you to it last week, and post follow up AOS related questions on the AOS thread as earlier recommended.

Go through the AOS process spreadsheet, Susie referred you to it last week, and post follow up AOS related questions on the AOS thread as earlier recommended.
Thanks Sm1mom. I will proceed to submit the I-485 as per the spreadsheet and will post follow up.

Hello everyone, DV-24 selectee here. I had my interview in November 2023 in Montreal. During the interview consular officer asked for the resumes of me and my husband. No DS-5535, just resumes. And our case has been in 221g since then. Seven months. :(

We have been sending inquiries to the consulate regularly, but they always respond with a standard vague text.

Is there something else we can do, anything? What about the writ of mandamus, would it make sense to file it? 3.5 months left until the end of the program, and I'm desperate.

Hello everyone, DV-24 selectee here. I had my interview in November 2023 in Montreal. During the interview consular officer asked for the resumes of me and my husband. No DS-5535, just resumes. And our case has been in 221g since then. Seven months. :(

We have been sending inquiries to the consulate regularly, but they always respond with a standard vague text.

Is there something else we can do, anything? What about the writ of mandamus, would it make sense to file it? 3.5 months left until the end of the program, and I'm desperate.
Unfortunately, there’s nothing else you can do outside of waiting AFAIK.

I have been selected for DV2025, and have been considering changing the interview location from Montreal to my home country, my CN AF181xx, I have read a lot of complaints from the Montreal embassy.

I have been selected for DV2025, and have been considering changing the interview location from Montreal to my home country, my CN AF181xx, I have read a lot of complaints from the Montreal embassy.
My advice to you - do everything you can to change the embassy. Stay away from Montreal. If only I knew this one year ago…
And it’s not just me. Montreal has been putting nearly every other DV case on AP. And the wait is so long that the risk of not getting a visa is becoming very real.

My advice to you - do everything you can to change the embassy. Stay away from Montreal. If only I knew this one year ago…
And it’s not just me. Montreal has been putting nearly every other DV case on AP. And the wait is so long that the risk of not getting a visa is becoming very real.
Montreal has a significant backlog across all immigrant visa categories, and clearly DV is affected by that too.

MTL is not backlogged in terms of DV. They're up to cutoffs in all the regions. What @Julia_43542 refers to is MTL's aptitude to hand out DS-5535 like candies.
I see. Well, we know what region origins those hit hardest so I guess that’s a reflection of the resident pool in Canada. Their consulate page refers to their significant immigrant visa backlog in all categories (apparently not DV from what you say, but definitely family preference and employment - interviews are now 1.5 years after DQ here - and even IR). It’s not a stretch of the imagination to imagine that a lot of the other IV applicants are similar demographics and therefore also get 5535s like candy, and you’re probably going to hit a backlog effect in their processing from that whole pool, leading to the long waits mentioned.

I see. Well, we know what region origins those hit hardest so I guess that’s a reflection of the resident pool in Canada. Their consulate page refers to their significant immigrant visa backlog in all categories (apparently not DV from what you say, but definitely family preference and employment - interviews are now 1.5 years after DQ here - and even IR). It’s not a stretch of the imagination to imagine that a lot of the other IV applicants are similar demographics and therefore also get 5535s like candy, and you’re probably going to hit a backlog effect in their processing from that whole pool, leading to the long waits mentioned.
MTL is very nondiscriminatory in that regard. Anyone can (and does) get DS-5535, not just the "usual suspects". Those are being processed in D.C., so local backlog doesn't affect the processing time. However, the agency doing the checks is of course also backlogged, cause it's just a handful of people (AFAIR I saw ~20-30 people working there in one of the FOIAs).

MTL is very nondiscriminatory in that regard. Anyone can (and does) get DS-5535, not just the "usual suspects". Those are being processed in D.C., so local backlog doesn't affect the processing time. However, the agency doing the checks is of course also backlogged, cause it's just a handful of people (AFAIR I saw ~20-30 people working there in one of the FOIAs).
Do you happen to know where other 221g cases are being processed? I mean cases that didn't get DS-5535 but undergoing a TAL check.