• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2023 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Only

I would like to say thank you to the forum, and especially to Sm1smom!

Recently, we received green cards, and the smallest thing I can give back is the interview experience.

The IO was professional and nice. My spouse (main applicant) doesn't speak English fluently, and we decided to take an interpreter with us since we were not sure if I was allowed to be an interpreter during the interview for the spouse (in all the forms like I-485, we mentioned that I'm an interpreter). You can take your friend or hire someone, but this person should be a legal resident of the US. The IO asked if we had the G-1256 form (this form is used when you use interpreter services). We had this form with us, and we provided it to the IO, and the form was signed and verified by the IO. After the oath, the interview was pretty standard – only questions from the I-485. The longest part was to verify original documents (school, university diplomas, marriage certificates, and so on). We had a denial of a visa once (article 214b), and I recommend that you not hide this information if you have had some issues in the past because the IO has access to your files. The IO asked if we had an apartment rental contract with us, but we didn't have it, and they said it was fine.

In the end, the IO asked if we had any questions, and I asked about the decision. The officer said that they didn't have any obvious reasons to deny the case, but we should wait some time (I don't remember the number of days) till the final decision because they needed to verify some information. The same day, in the evening, our status changed to GC was ordered.
Great update. Congratulations.

Hello mom,

I’m filling out my form I-485 using the simple filled form you shared and I have some questions.

1. Question numbers 26c and 27, ask about the status of Form I-94. I have an F1 visa and in the sample, they wrote N/A should I do the same or write f1?
  2. For question number 2, which asks if I’m applying based on the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) section 245(i), the answer on the sample is no but it is written down in the instructions that if you are applying as a DV lottery winner you should choose yes. Which answer should I choose?
  3. 3. For part 3, I don’t have enough space to include 5 addresses where. I lived in the past 5 years ( 4 in the USA, 1 in my home country). I included 3 in part 3 and where I could include the 2 left?
  4. I checked the form in October 2022 and I saw a question asking if I ever benefited from the housing help but I didn’t find it now. Did they change the form and remove this question?
Thank you so much for your help! You are doing a lot to help us.

Hello mom,

I’m filling out my form I-485 using the simple filled form you shared and I have some questions.

1. Question numbers 26c and 27, ask about the status of Form I-94. I have an F1 visa and in the sample, they wrote N/A should I do the same or write f1?
  2. For question number 2, which asks if I’m applying based on the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) section 245(i), the answer on the sample is no but it is written down in the instructions that if you are applying as a DV lottery winner you should choose yes. Which answer should I choose?
  3. 3. For part 3, I don’t have enough space to include 5 addresses where. I lived in the past 5 years ( 4 in the USA, 1 in my home country). I included 3 in part 3 and where I could include the 2 left?
  4. I checked the form in October 2022 and I saw a question asking if I ever benefited from the housing help but I didn’t find it now. Did they change the form and remove this question?
Thank you so much for your help! You are doing a lot to help us.
1. For 26c - F1
2. The instruction does not say you should choose YES if you’re a DV selectee, read it again. The answer on the sample form is correct.
3. There’s already an instruction on the form to use Part 14 if you need extra space.
4. I can’t remember. Just make sure you’re using the correct current form and focus on answering the questions asked.

Hi

Please, which of these categories we belong to. "Other" right?
I have moved to a new place.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 6.38.41 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-15 at 6.38.41 AM.png
    410.3 KB · Views: 32
Hi Sm1smom

I inquired with KCC regarding my case to know if it has been forward to USCIS or not and I got a reply from KCC saying

“Your case has not been forwarded to USCIS. Any further inquiries regarding this case must be directed to them”

I have completed my biometric more than 53 days ago. What can I do in this situation ?

Hi Sm1smom

I inquired with KCC regarding my case to know if it has been forward to USCIS or not and I got a reply from KCC saying

“Your case has not been forwarded to USCIS. Any further inquiries regarding this case must be directed to them”

I have completed my biometric more than 53 days ago. What can I do in this situation ?
You can initiate a congressional inquiry or remain patient. The NO FO is one of those that also tends to batch DV cases towards the end of the FY.

Congratulations. Why was your AOS package initially rejected and what was your RFE for?
AOS rejection reasons: no edition date at the bottom of form (cut off when printing), my signature was too small, part 2 que2 was answered wrong.
The RFE was for my immigration medical report l did not submit it with my AOS package (l intentionally left it out of the package because l needed more time to get the medical exam done)

Hi Mom!
I'm on the spreadsheet (line 29, user: milkypantz).
AF14000
I did biometrics on 27 Feb 2023. I did it in NYC because I moved to NYC after doing the original submission so I did an address change. I have to say, the NY field office I went into yesterday - every case worker/officer was really mean and seemed to enjoy making people wait or turning them away. Wish I stayed in Los Angeles now.

Anyhow, what I meant with 'essentially as a tourist' is the fact that I lose my ability to work as I don't have a work permit attached to the i485 case. I'm applying for EAD (form i765) now but I don't know what else I can do..?
So you basically complicated things for yourself as far as I can see. You moved from one FO with a long processing timeline to another one equally with a long processing timeline. It's usually not a good idea to relocate after sending in the AOS package because when you initiate a change of address at that stage like you did, it means the FO that initially received your package will need to forward it to the new FO with jurisdiction over your new address. The case transfer does not happen as soon as the change of address is initiated. It is typically happens when the first FO is ready to adjudicate, then they see you're no longer under their jurisdiction, at that point they forward your case file to the new FO with jurisdiction over your case and you fall at the end of the line when you get there.

No, I do not believe the NY FO case workers were being intentionally mean. Did you have an INFOPASS appointment when you paid them a visit?

p.s. Tourists are not the only set people in the US who are not eligible to work, there are several other statuses not eligible to work in the US. So again you will not be returning to the US with your AP as a "tourist". Loosing your ability to work does not mean you will return as a tourist, it is important to get the terminologies right.

AOS rejection reasons: no edition date at the bottom of form (cut off when printing), my signature was too small, part 2 que2 was answered wrong.
The RFE was for my immigration medical report l did not submit it with my AOS package (l intentionally left it out of the package because l needed more time to get the medical exam done)
I'm guessing you selected YES for Part 2 question 2 (INA question), right?

Hi @Sm1smom,

I reached out to Emma's live agent to ask about the status of my application. The agent said that "Our most recent update on your case is from the NBC. It states that your biometrics were received on the 4/5." Does that mean that my case has not reached my FO? What steps can I take to make sure my case reaches the FO, its been almost 6 weeks since my biometrics & yet no interview invite.

Thanks!

Hi @Sm1smom,

I reached out to Emma's live agent to ask about the status of my application. The agent said that "Our most recent update on your case is from the NBC. It states that your biometrics were received on the 4/5." Does that mean that my case has not reached my FO? What steps can I take to make sure my case reaches the FO, its been almost 6 weeks since my biometrics & yet no interview invite.

Thanks!
I received same answer when I contacted Emma. But after 5 days I got my IL.

Hi @Sm1smom,

Thanks!
No, that response doesn't mean your AOS case file as not been forwarded to your FO. The NBC is supposed to forward the case file once the bio gets scheduled, that information however is often not visible to the front line agents. You do not need to do anything to ensure your AOS case file gets sent over to your FO.