• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Only

Hi There! So I submitted a congressional inquiry and they replied saying they replied with the following:

I am writing to confirm receipt of your correspondence. My office is actively reviewing your request for assistance and will follow up with you directly if any additional information or documentation is needed.

Please note that you will receive written confirmation once your issue has been brought to the attention of the appropriate federal agency.

I am going to call them now to see if I can speed things along! Feeling very nervous as I know not getting a GC would mean having an immigrant intent stamp alongside my name for my next visa renewal which is in October! Big eek!
My E3 is also up in October, and I've been stressing this whole time for the exact same reason. So I definitely get it, and I feel for you.

If it's any consolation, there is some silver lining - USCIS's deadline is Sept 30, which is before your E3 deadline. So either way you will know what's happening before your E3 is up for renewal. I'm not sure how your relationship is with your employer, but could you chat to them about this too and get a sense of whether or not they'd want to petition for you as well (through a new employer-sponsored greencard app if this doesn't work out)?

I saw that you spoke to USCIS with little luck. Something worth noting here; I've received different outcomes to the same questions when calling the USCIS hotline based on which agent picked up. I don't think there's any harm in rolling the dice there again to see if the answer changes with a different agent, but I'll let others weigh in on that too.

If you decide call the hotline again, my advice to getting a human is to say your reason for calling is "reschedule biometrics interview". It'll put you straight through to a human every time. Don't ask me how I know... :)

I saw some folks here mentioning escalation to Level 2 at USCIS as well. I'm not sure how it's done, but it's certainly worth asking. I'll see if I can find the post I'm thinking of, and I'll keep noodling on it in the background in case I think of anything else.

I might've missed it in your posts, but it might be worth emailing the NY FO, I just grabbed their email from the USCIS District Office Finder website: NewYork-District-RA@uscis.dhs.gov

I'm optimistic though. I'm crossing my fingers the reason you haven't heard about your interview yet is because they plan to skip it all together. After all, your pack was really detailed!

Let me begin by thanking @Sm1smom and the team for keeping alive this philanthropic forum for DV-based AOSers. The word "Thank You" actually falls short for what y'all are doing here. It's been a long journey (see my signature below for the timeline) in this community and a day has finally arrived to say my case is also APPROVED. The waiting game actually killed my excitement, I will be happier if all the pending AOSers (especially long-waiting folks from New York and New Jersey) here in this community get approved before 9/30/2022.
Interview Experience:
IO was a lady nearly in her fifties and she was cool. Asked to take the oath then she asked for my passport.
QUESTIONS: Your legal name, DOB, Current Address, First name of your parents, married or not, last date of arrival, and almost all of the Yes no questions.
DOCUMENTS asked: Passport, New I20, Covid vaccine card (only if I had)
DECISION: She said she is gonna approve my case, she will request a visa for me after our interview which might take several minutes, and asked to check the status update by the end of the day.
Some learning throughout my journey:
1) Do not rely completely on Emma agent. One Emma agent even said my case will be adjudicated in 109 days but I waited four months just for my biometrics after that.
2) Tier-2 officer was helpful in my case. He called me back after 13 days of scheduling the call and he helped me to schedule the bio-metrics appointment.
3) Emma was once helpful to expedite my EAD card when I falsely claimed :p I have some health issue and financial loss (no evidence was requested). I did not use EAD, it was just my pointless effort in hope of getting the I485 case moving.
4) Senator's office acknowledged (not the reply tho) my case inquiry on 07/27/2022, the interview letter was issued on the same date. It might be just a coincidence because the other 2 different AOSers in the same FO (New Orleans) also received IL on the same date.
5) In my understanding, New Orleans FO usually batches the DV case till the last. There were 4 different AOSers from this forum with interviews on the same day (8/24/2022).
Thank you all once again. Really grateful to the team of this incredible forum. I will be around in this forum to give back what I have learned from here. Keep your hopes alive we all will get through this...

Reading through the Background Check tab/section, it seems to me that the background check should be a pretty much straightforward aspect of the AOS or Immigration process. No response + clear ten prints mean GO! Whereas Positive response +/- clear ten prints could mean GO or HOLD, and Pending +/- clear ten prints definitely mean HOLD!!

Now my issue is, why can't the "almighty" FBI bind itself to some timelines too to accommodate cases with hard timelines like DVs? It's ok to say that after a "reasonable period" and we are unable to run a conclusive background check for "X" category of immigrant visas we shall deem it inconclusive and thus applicant will not be admissible. That will just be fine. I have been waiting for only a couple of days now after my interview, and trust me the tortuous feeling is not pleasant. The uncertainty, the dread, the fear, and the cautious hope of completing this process happily or with great disappointment after more than twelve months of hope is more tormenting and torturous than the imagery of Judgement Day. To all those who were able to wait for 10, 20, 30, 40, and 60 days, I swear there is nothing in this life that you cannot endure again.

Maybe, just maybe someday hopefully before 9/30 I will also come here and post "Today my status changed to "New Card Production Ordered"", and then all of my rantings will be irrelevant. Until then, I will keep my fingers crossed as advised by @Sm1smom; but my cry and meditations will be ceaseless toward heaven until my status changes.

God Bless America!

Lamentations of a DV Applicant stuck in Background Check:confused:
Well, that in essence is what the WOM is for. Any applicant who is stuck in AP and is tired of waiting for the b/c clearance can use the WOM to force the USCIS to adjudicate their application at whatever stage it is at, which will subsequently lead to being found inadmissible. That is the beauty of this country, she is not authocratic seeing as she makes choices available. Bypassing the CP option put in place for potential immigrants outside the US and entering the country on a visitor’s visa with a preconceived intent of filing AOS happens to be one of those choices by the way. Just saying! And yes, God Bless America!!

Let me begin by thanking @Sm1smom and the team for keeping alive this philanthropic forum for DV-based AOSers. The word "Thank You" actually falls short for what y'all are doing here. It's been a long journey (see my signature below for the timeline) in this community and a day has finally arrived to say my case is also APPROVED. The waiting game actually killed my excitement, I will be happier if all the pending AOSers (especially long-waiting folks from New York and New Jersey) here in this community get approved before 9/30/2022.
Interview Experience:
IO was a lady nearly in her fifties and she was cool. Asked to take the oath then she asked for my passport.
QUESTIONS: Your legal name, DOB, Current Address, First name of your parents, married or not, last date of arrival, and almost all of the Yes no questions.
DECISION: She said she is gonna approve my case, she will request a visa for me after our interview which might take several minutes, and asked to check the status update by the end of the day.
1) Do not rely completely on Emma agent. One Emma agent even said my case will be adjudicated in 109 days but I waited four months just for my biometrics after that.
2) Tier-2 officer was helpful in my case. He called me back after 13 days of scheduling the call and he helped me to schedule the bio-metrics appointment.
3) Emma was once helpful to expedite my EAD card when I falsely claimed :p I have some health issue and financial loss (no evidence was requested). I did not use EAD, it was just my pointless effort in hope of getting the I485 case moving.
4) Senator's office acknowledged (not the reply tho) my case inquiry on 07/27/2022, the interview letter was issued on the same date. It might be just a coincidence because the other 2 different AOSers in the same FO (New Orleans) also received IL on the same date.
5) In my understanding, New Orleans FO usually batches the DV case till the last. There were 4 different AOSers from this forum with interviews on the same day (8/24/2022).
Thank you all once again. Really grateful to the team of this incredible forum. I will be around in this forum to give back what I have learned from here. Keep your hopes alive we all will get through this...
Congratulations! Question - how'd you get hold of the Tier 2 person?

Interview Experience:
Wow! It’s been such a long journey for you, you can indeed say “free at last”. Congratulations, super happy for you.

1661480937334.gif

Congratulations! Question - how'd you get hold of the Tier 2 person?
Called the USCIS hotline. Just said "Infopass" (maybe multiple times) to talk to the actual human (Tier-1). Explained the situation and stressed the urgency of the time to the agent and then I directly asked if I can talk to the Tier-2 officer. This worked for me twice to get the callback from the Tier-2 officer. Also, ask the agent to put you under the urgent category so that you can get a callback in 3 business days. Thanks and Good Luck!

Called the USCIS hotline. Just said "Infopass" (maybe multiple times) to talk to the actual human (Tier-1). Explained the situation and stressed the urgency of the time to the agent and then I directly asked if I can talk to the Tier-2 officer. This worked for me twice to get the callback from the Tier-2 officer. Also, ask the agent to put you under the urgent category so that you can get a callback in 3 business days. Thanks and Good Luck!
So helpful, thank you! @cbs5hiuc FYI! ^^ Might be worth trying this in the morning when USCIS is open again.

Interview Experience:
Oh my, you're definitely the winner of the patience game! I started in April and already got a bunch of gray hair with all that wait. Can't even imagine myself in your situation. Congrats!

Well, that in essence is what the WOM is for. Any applicant who is stuck in AP and is tired of waiting for the b/c clearance can use the WOM to force the USCIS to adjudicate their application at whatever stage it is at, which will subsequently lead to being found inadmissible. That is the beauty of this country, she is not authocratic seeing as she makes choices available. Bypassing the CP option put in place for potential immigrants outside the US and entering the country on a visitor’s visa with a preconceived intent of filing AOS happens to be one of those choices by the way. Just saying! And yes, God Bless America!!
Thank you @Sm1smom, but I see an implicit assumption in your response that I entered the country with a preconceived notion to file for AOS. Respectfully, this is not accurate. Everything happened incidentally. At my interview, I had copious proof to show that but fortunately or unfortunately that did not come up.

Last edited:
Quick questions for @Sm1smom and @SusieQQQ
1. In the event that my background check does not clear before 9/30, will my B1/B2 visa be still valid for travel until it expires?
2. Having completed the interview now can I leave the country, my host can facilitate the GC to reach me if eventually it is issued.

Quick questions for @Sm1smom and @SusieQQQ
1. In the event that my background check does not clear before 9/30, will my B1/B2 visa be still valid for travel until it expires?
2. Having completed the interview now can I leave the country, my host can facilitate the GC to reach me if eventually it is issued.
1. Are you still within your authorized stay as listed on your I-94? If yes, the visa remains valid for travel travel until it expires.
2. Departure from the US without an approved AP card while the AOS application is pending will lead to the application being deemed as abandoned.

From what I've read, you're supposed to snail mail your evidence to them. I've requested expedited processing and kinda regret doing so cause it does not really help but can potentially slow down processing.
It actually depends on what the instruction says. Requested evidence may be mailed or emailed depending on what the instruction says.

p.s. best of luck with your interview today.

1. Are you still within your authorized stay as listed on your I-94? If yes, the visa remains valid for travel travel until it expires.
2. Departure from the US without an approved AP card while the AOS application is pending will lead to the application being deemed as abandoned.
I am indebted to you @Sm1smom. Thank you.

My E3 is also up in October, and I've been stressing this whole time for the exact same reason. So I definitely get it, and I feel for you.

If it's any consolation, there is some silver lining - USCIS's deadline is Sept 30, which is before your E3 deadline. So either way you will know what's happening before your E3 is up for renewal. I'm not sure how your relationship is with your employer, but could you chat to them about this too and get a sense of whether or not they'd want to petition for you as well (through a new employer-sponsored greencard app if this doesn't work out)?

I saw that you spoke to USCIS with little luck. Something worth noting here; I've received different outcomes to the same questions when calling the USCIS hotline based on which agent picked up. I don't think there's any harm in rolling the dice there again to see if the answer changes with a different agent, but I'll let others weigh in on that too.

If you decide call the hotline again, my advice to getting a human is to say your reason for calling is "reschedule biometrics interview". It'll put you straight through to a human every time. Don't ask me how I know... :)

I saw some folks here mentioning escalation to Level 2 at USCIS as well. I'm not sure how it's done, but it's certainly worth asking. I'll see if I can find the post I'm thinking of, and I'll keep noodling on it in the background in case I think of anything else.

I might've missed it in your posts, but it might be worth emailing the NY FO, I just grabbed their email from the USCIS District Office Finder website: NewYork-District-RA@uscis.dhs.gov

I'm optimistic though. I'm crossing my fingers the reason you haven't heard about your interview yet is because they plan to skip it all together. After all, your pack was really detailed!

A question iv'e been wondering, If we aren't successful in getting a Greencard, will that effect our E3 renewal? Going through this process will show intent to stay in the country and could mean a denial?

Does anyone with an E3 have any insight to this?