• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Only

I should have been more specific in my previous post - pasted here -

- "I received an email from USCIS saying "We received your request for expedited processing" and asking us to please submit, by email, documentation to support the request. However, they did not send an email address to send the documentation to. My case is with the Los Angeles Field Office. Does anyone have any advice?"

I should have added that there was actually a sentence saying "Please email your supporting documentation to (insert email)" However, they did not insert an email address, just left the "insert email" there. In this case, do you still think it's a good idea to reply to the email? Looking at other posts, these requests usually come directly from a field office. I know our case is at the Los Angeles field office, but can't email them without an address!

Any advice?
Yes, you case is at the LA FO, however you cannot email them directly if they have not directly reached out to you, which is why I earlier on indicated you respond back to the email that sent you the request. Anyway, you can call the 1800 USCIS number and inform them about the message you received which did not include the email address that should be inserted, they may be able to provide you with a different email address.

I can’t believe it’s my turn to make this post, but after so many steepness nights my case finally changed to “New Card is Being Produced” today around 4pm EST!!!! My interview got waived by my FO, and today is 42 days after my bio. I’m honestly on cloud 9 right now and I’m just extremely grateful for everyone’s help on this forum. I’m happy I saved $5000 by not getting a lawyer because this forum has all the information you can possible need, and most importantly a community of people who are always here to help and support. I hope everyone on this forum is able to get their case approved super soon!!

Thank you so much @Sm1smom and @SusieQQQ for all your responses to our questions and for literally being here 24/7!!!

I can’t believe it’s my turn to make this post, but after so many steepness nights my case finally changed to “New Card is Being Produced” today around 4pm EST!!!! My interview got waived by my FO, and today is 42 days after my bio. I’m honestly on cloud 9 right now and I’m just extremely grateful for everyone’s help on this forum. I’m happy I saved $5000 by not getting a lawyer because this forum has all the information you can possible need, and most importantly a community of people who are always here to help and support. I hope everyone on this forum is able to get their case approved super soon!!

Thank you so much @Sm1smom and @SusieQQQ for all your responses to our questions and for literally being here 24/7!!!
Congratulations! We've been through this process together and I'm so happy for you. Hopefully, the rest of us get our green cards soon.

@SusieQQQ @
Hm. I’m sceptical on both counts (30 days is remarkably short in which to file and act on mandamus) but ok.
Btw you are aware a mandamus only forces a decision to be made? It cannot force a favorable outcome. If a background check for example is still pending and they are forced to decide, it will be a denial because the case at that point is not approvable.
If someone's background check takes a while after the interview and we reach the end of FY, what would be the best to do? Hiring an attorney for suing USCIS?

Done! Thanks @dazza2104 for the recommendation! Fingers crossed. I see you just had your interview, great news :)
UPDATE: I have submitted a congressional inquiry and called to express the urgency - she said she made a note to push before the end of August and flagged it as urgent. I then got ahold of USCIS (getting past the robot is tough!) and spoke to a woman who advised that I was not eligible to expedite but took my contact details in case and then recommended I send a follow-up letter to the Chicago lockbox explaining my situation. So I've just gone and done so. Fingers crossed one of these avenues works!!

@SusieQQQ @

If someone's background check takes a while after the interview and we reach the end of FY, what would be the best to do? Hiring an attorney for suing USCIS?
You may do that if you like, but you will basically be throwing your money away. USCIS is not liable for background checks that do not get cleared by the end of the applicable FY. In general, once the FY is over, there’s nothing else that can be done.

You may do that if you like, but you will basically be throwing your money away. USCIS is not liable for background checks that do not get cleared by the end of the applicable FY. In general, once the FY is over, there’s nothing else that can be done.
How many times they run background check? If the case is already transferred to FO from NBC, does that mean there wouldn’t be another background check?

Last edited:

Can’t help saying “told ya”:p:D:D. Congratulations.

Hello all,

Had interview yesterday and was approved. The status changed from "New Card produced" to " Case was approved" today.

Thank you very much @Sm1smom and others in the forum. I really appreciate your help during the process. The spreadsheet with information on AOS process and Documents was excellent source of information. I followed it religiously.

Good luck to others who are waiting !

------------------------------
My timeline in brief: (+2 derivatives)
PD: July (i-485 submitted 26 June)
Biometric: 8 Aug
Interview: 24 Aug - approved (FO: Detroit)

Hello all,

Had interview yesterday and was approved. The status changed from "New Card produced" to " Case was approved" today.

Thank you very much @Sm1smom and others in the forum. I really appreciate your help during the process. The spreadsheet with information on AOS process and Documents was excellent source of information. I followed it religiously.

Good luck to others who are waiting !

------------------------------
My timeline in brief: (+2 derivatives)
PD: July (i-485 submitted 26 June)
Biometric: 8 Aug
Interview: 24 Aug - approved (FO: Detroit)
Congratulations and thanks for the update. Do update the timeline spreadsheet if you’re yet to do so please.

@SusieQQQ @

On what basis would you sue them? The background checks take as long as they take, it’s not in uscis control and it’s always an uncertainty and yes, sometimes the fiscal year does run out before they are completed and people lose out as a result. You cannot by law be issued an immigrant visa or green card without a clear background check.

Congratulations @Angel115. I pray God gives me strength complete this process with such joy.

On what basis would you sue them? The background checks take as long as they take, it’s not in uscis control and it’s always an uncertainty and yes, sometimes the fiscal year does run out before they are completed and people lose out as a result. You cannot by law be issued an immigrant visa or green card without a clear background check.
Thanks for your reply

UPDATE: I have submitted a congressional inquiry and called to express the urgency - she said she made a note to push before the end of August and flagged it as urgent. I then got ahold of USCIS (getting past the robot is tough!) and spoke to a woman who advised that I was not eligible to expedite but took my contact details in case and then recommended I send a follow-up letter to the Chicago lockbox explaining my situation. So I've just gone and done so. Fingers crossed one of these avenues works!!
Would it also be good to chase up the Manhattan FO? Fingers crossed the inquiry pushes things along for you, keep us updated.

How many times they run background check? If the case is already transferred to FO from NBC, does that mean there wouldn’t be another background check?
The number of checks that gets carried out on an applicant depends on what the initial check reveals. The NBC doesn't need to wait for the background check to clear or even occur before forwarding the case file to the FO. In most cases, the case file gets forwarded as soon as the bio appointment has been scheduled, which could be long before the bio appointment takes place. You can take a look at the Background Check and NBC-Lockbox-FO tabs/sections of the AOS process spreadsheet for more on this.

The number of checks that gets carried out on an applicant depends on what the initial check reveals. The NBC doesn't need to wait for the background check to clear or even occur before forwarding the case file to the FO. In most cases, the case file gets forwarded as soon as the bio appointment has been scheduled, which could be long before the bio appointment takes place. You can take a look at the Background Check and NBC-Lockbox-FO tabs/sections of the AOS process spreadsheet for more on this.
Thanks mom

Reading through the Background Check tab/section, it seems to me that the background check should be a pretty much straightforward aspect of the AOS or Immigration process. No response + clear ten prints mean GO! Whereas Positive response +/- clear ten prints could mean GO or HOLD, and Pending +/- clear ten prints definitely mean HOLD!!

Now my issue is, why can't the "almighty" FBI bind itself to some timelines too to accommodate cases with hard timelines like DVs? It's ok to say that after a "reasonable period" and we are unable to run a conclusive background check for "X" category of immigrant visas we shall deem it inconclusive and thus applicant will not be admissible. That will just be fine. I have been waiting for only a couple of days now after my interview, and trust me the tortuous feeling is not pleasant. The uncertainty, the dread, the fear, and the cautious hope of completing this process happily or with great disappointment after more than twelve months of hope is more tormenting and torturous than the imagery of Judgement Day. To all those who were able to wait for 10, 20, 30, 40, and 60 days, I swear there is nothing in this life that you cannot endure again.

Maybe, just maybe someday hopefully before 9/30 I will also come here and post "Today my status changed to "New Card Production Ordered"", and then all of my rantings will be irrelevant. Until then, I will keep my fingers crossed as advised by @Sm1smom; but my cry and meditations will be ceaseless toward heaven until my status changes.

God Bless America!

Lamentations of a DV Applicant stuck in Background Check:confused: