• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Only

Thank you for your reply. Would you mind to help me in that regard of whom do i need to contact to and what inquiry i should have ?
1. Identify and locate your House of Representative using the below link
2. Click on their profile to go to their website
3. Find the contact us section on their website, you may need to drill down to the section that says "Help with a Federal Agency" or something similar to that
4. Follow whatever instructions they've provided/provide whatever information they're asking for in order to help you follow up on your case with USCIS.

1. Identify and locate your House of Representative using the below link
2. Click on their profile to go to their website
3. Find the contact us section on their website, you may need to drill down to the section that says "Help with a Federal Agency" or something similar to that
4. Follow whatever instructions they've provided/provide whatever information they're asking for in order to help you follow up on your case with USCIS.

1. Shall we look for representatives from the Democratic party? Does it matter? I feel like Republicans might be not particularly inclined to help with immigration related issues.
2. Have you seen a good request letter with compelling verbiage?

1. Shall we look for representatives from the Democratic party? Does it matter? I feel like Republicans might be not particularly inclined to help with immigration related issues.
2. Have you seen a good request letter with compelling verbiage?
1. You can only seek assistance from the House of Rep person with jurisdiction over your home address regardless of their political affiliation. If you find out your House of rep person is not immigration friendly, you can escalate to using your Senator in place of the House of Rep. Other than that, there's no other available option for initiating a congressional inquiry.
2. Like I already explained in my above post which you quoted, you follow whatever instruction is provided on the Rep or Senator's website for contacting them. Most already have forms in place, and if there's no form, each person needs to use their own discretion on what to write.

That’d be right! Just a few days after I submit my AOS package, I get a response regarding my ICE FOIA request I sent months ago, great timing lol :rolleyes:

1. You can only seek assistance from the House of Rep person with jurisdiction over your home address regardless of their political affiliation. If you find out your House of rep person is not immigration friendly, you can escalate to using your Senator in place of the House of Rep. Other than that, there's no other available option for initiating a congressional inquiry.
2. Like I already explained in my above post which you quoted, you follow whatever instruction is provided on the Rep or Senator's website for contacting them. Most already have forms in place, and if there's no form, each person needs to use their own discretion on what to write. It shouldn't be treated as a one size fits all process.
1. This is helpful, thank you.

2. I checked mine and it has a free text input field where you're supposed to describe the case. I can write an essay on my own, but hope ppl here already have some sort of a template with key points to include (maybe even created with an attorney's help). If not, do you have an idea of the scope of issues a representative can help with and the anticipated timeline (so that if I encounter a delay, I will know how much time they need to react/process)? Thank you!

1. This is helpful, thank you.

2. I checked mine and it has a free text input field where you're supposed to describe the case. I can write an essay on my own, but hope ppl here already have some sort of a template with key points to include (maybe even created with an attorney's help). If not, do you have an idea of the scope of issues a representative can help with and the anticipated timeline (so that if I encounter a delay, I will know how much time they need to react/process)? Thank you!
Goodness! Attorney’s help with key points to include when contacting your congress person for immigration assistance? How about just keeping it simple! There’s no need for a long or some convoluted essay. You basically get straight to the point stating you require assistance with following up on your pending case with USCIS. Provide information on when you filed, last action taken by USCIS (when it was taken), any direct follow up attempt you’ve made and how much time you have left before the FY is over. It really isn’t rocket science I have to say.

NOTE: A congressional inquiry should not be treated as some magic wand for whipping USCIS into shape. Your congress person cannot make USCIS make any decision about your case. It is basically one of the last resorts for obtaining case status updates if one has not be able to do so successfully following numerous attempts at contacting USCIS directly. It is one of the “nuclear” options for case follow-up, not an option I recommend people jump into as soon as they become inpatient with waiting. Year after year, we’ve had instances of a few jumping at this option when all they needed to do at that point was wait. They basically wasted that option at the first opportunity they had, and when they eventually needed assistance later on, the option was either no longer available or capable of yielding a positive outcome.

Hello,

Should I send the filled taxes documents like forms 1040NR and everything? I only have transcripts for 2020, so I decided to send everything that I have for 2019, 2020, and 2021. Is it too much? or is it fine?

Thanks.

Hi,

I have to take a gap semester next semester so I assume that my F1 visa status would not be activated, I just sent out my application and it should arrive today. would this be seen as fraudulent filing? am I still eligible for AOS? BTW this semester ends on May 9 so I am technically still on status at the time of the filing. I appreciate your response, thank you so much.

One more question. The CS entered an A# on top of my I-693 form I gave them from a past OPT / EAD card. Not sure if the same No. then needs to go on the I-485. Or should leave it empty, then the two forms would not match. Thank you for any help.

Hello Sm1smom!

My case number has just gone current (June) so wanting to get all my ducks in a row! I've looked at the AOS package and ticked off almost all forms, have received my 2NL, sent in the DV payment, and am organising the civil surgeon appt. Was just looking at the timeline for previous years and checked the FAQs but still have a few questions.

1. How do you know whether to send your full application to Chicago or Pheonix?
2. How do I know which ASC to go to? Can I select any nearby or is this included in the NOA Letter when recieved?
3. Same as above but for the field office.

Thank you!

Hello Sm1smom!

My case number has just gone current (June) so wanting to get all my ducks in a row! I've looked at the AOS package and ticked off almost all forms, have received my 2NL, sent in the DV payment, and am organising the civil surgeon appt. Was just looking at the timeline for previous years and checked the FAQs but still have a few questions.

1. How do you know whether to send your full application to Chicago or Pheonix?
2. How do I know which ASC to go to? Can I select any nearby or is this included in the NOA Letter when recieved?
3. Same as above but for the field office.

Thank you!
1. Linky

Hi,

I have to take a gap semester next semester so I assume that my F1 visa status would not be activated, I just sent out my application and it should arrive today. would this be seen as fraudulent filing? am I still eligible for AOS? BTW this semester ends on May 9 so I am technically still on status at the time of the filing. I appreciate your response, thank you so much.
So, you're already a student (since your semester ends on May 9th), but taking a semester break, correct? That does not seem like you're out of status (F1). Your university's DSO would be the best person to ask.

Goodness! Attorney’s help with key points to include when contacting your congress person for immigration assistance? How about just keeping it simple! There’s no need for a long or some convoluted essay. You basically get straight to the point stating you require assistance with following up on your pending case with USCIS. Provide information on when you filed, last action taken by USCIS (when it was taken), any direct follow up attempt you’ve made and how much time you have left before the FY is over. It really isn’t rocket science I have to say.

NOTE: A congressional inquiry should not be treated as some magic wand for whipping USCIS into shape. Your congress person cannot make USCIS make any decision about your case. It is basically one of the last resorts for obtaining case status updates if one has not be able to do so successfully following numerous attempts at contacting USCIS directly. It is one of the “nuclear” options for case follow-up, not an option I recommend people jump into as soon as they become inpatient with waiting. Year after year, we’ve had instances of a few jumping at this option when all they needed to do at that point was wait. They basically wasted that option at the first opportunity they had, and when they eventually needed assistance later on, the option was either no longer available or capable of yielding a positive outcome.
Well, that's a fair point (if we forget for a moment that we at the same time care about not forgetting to put N/A's in the form :)). I don't plan to use the inquiry for nothing, but if I'd ever need it, I want to be prepared.
As for attorney's help, people use attorneys either if there is a complex issues to unwrap or if the stakes are too high. A 1% chance of being selected for a piece of paper that could save you several years of hard work and tons of brain cells could be considered as the latter ;) Anyway, I asked if someone might have already had a template from their attorney.
^This is to clarify my point.
As for the topic on hand, thank you for sharing your approach :)

I can write an essay on my own, but hope ppl here already have some sort of a template with key points to include (maybe even created with an attorney's help).
Here is a sample of my congressional inquiry.

A 1% chance of being selected for a piece of paper that could save you several years of hard work and tons of brain cells could be considered as the latter ;)
IMO, This is just a justification you make so as not to feel bad about spending that much money for something that does not worth it. It is like hiring a doctor to spoon-feed you because there is a 1% chance you choke on food if you feed yourself.

Hi,

1. You might want to think carefully about that plan. Would you have taken a gap semester if you hadn’t been selected as a DV lottery winner, and would doing so keep you in a legal status?

2. Assuming your AOS package gets rejected for one reason or the other by the lockbox which means it gets sent back to you, you do realize you will no longer be eligible to submit a new AOS application after May 9th if you proceed with taking the gap semester as planned?

3. Let’s say you show up for your interview and the IO asks what are you currently doing, and you say you took a gap semester after filing for AOS, (it’s not like you’ve graduated or lost your job after filing and automatically rolled into adjustment pending status), you intentionally took a gap semester, do you think the IO will be favorably disposed to that response?

I think you need to carefully ruminate over the three questions above before deciding on proceeding as planned. Or maybe I don’t understand what you mean by taking a gap semester.