• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2022 AOS (Adjustment of Status) Only

Sorry for asking many questions. I appreciate @Sm1smom and @SusieQQQ . As I said earlier, I am on Asylum pending status and I won the lottery this year. Can I file for unemployment if I would be eligible? And is this gonna affect on my DV lottery interview? Is receiving EDD would be risky for my DV lottery interview?
Unemployment benefits are an insured benefit, not a public charge. That said, while it is not a public charge in and of itself, your DV case will be much stronger if you can show you are earning income to avoid the perception that you might become a public charge in future. Or do you have someone prepared to file an i134 for you?

Unemployment benefits are an insured benefit, not a public charge. That said, while it is not a public charge in and of itself, your DV case will be much stronger if you can show you are earning income to avoid the perception that you might become a public charge in future. Or do you have someone prepared to file an i134 for you?
I lost my job due to the pandemic. It's been a few months and I found out that people who lost their job, using this benefit. I don't have someone to support me on I-134 but I can show the bank statement and also showing that I invest money on cryptocurrency. This is the way I make money. If getting unemployment benefits making this perception that I am the person who needs help and money, I can avoid getting these benefits. As an asylees, I've seen some other asylees who are getting these benefits but I was worry about my DV interview.

I lost my job due to the pandemic. It's been a few months and I found out that people who lost their job, using this benefit. I don't have someone to support me on I-134 but I can show the bank statement and also showing that I invest money on cryptocurrency. This is the way I make money. If getting unemployment benefits making this perception that I am the person who needs help and money, I can avoid getting these benefits. As an asylees, I've seen some other asylees who are getting these benefits but I was worry about my DV interview.
Speculating in cryptocurrencies is not a way to show you can make money. If you have enough real investments (that is, an investment that provides a regular cash flow) to show you can generate enough income above the poverty line on an annual basis, that will certainly be of help. Anyway I think you missed the point of what I was saying. You are perfectly entitled to draw unemployment benefits, but the fact that it means you don’t have a job is what will matter, and that matters regardless whether or not you are actually drawing benefits. A bank statement may or may not be enough. Anyway, you always have your asylum case to fall back on if DV doesn’t work out.

Hi @Sm1smom
My husband is dv 2022 winner AF37xxx we are currently inside US he is h1b visa holder , me and our children are h4 visa holders , my husband visa will ends on June 30 2022 he is in training job in a medical program and most probably his program will ends on February 2022 , 4 months before the visa expiry We already submitted ds 260 as AOS but from previous years VP it seems that’s our CN won’t be current until May or June so is AOS an option for us

Hi @Sm1smom
My husband is dv 2022 winner AF37xxx we are currently inside US he is h1b visa holder , me and our children are h4 visa holders , my husband visa will ends on June 30 2022 he is in training job in a medical program and most probably his program will ends on February 2022 , 4 months before the visa expiry We already submitted ds 260 as AOS but from previous years VP it seems that’s our CN won’t be current until May or June so is AOS an option for us
I can’t predict when your CN is likely to become current. You do need to be in a valid status as at the time of AOS filing, so if your current status would have expired by the time your CN becomes current and you haven’t been able to extend or roll into another valid status by then, you will not be eligible to file AOS in that case.

I can’t predict when your CN is likely to become current. You do need to be in a valid status as at the time of AOS filing, so if your current status would have expired by the time your CN becomes current and you haven’t been able to extend or roll into another valid status by then, you will not be eligible to file AOS in that case.
Thanks for your reply, another question if you don’t mind my husband’s employers are willing to extend his training program for another few months most likely until the current visa expiry date instead of February 2022 but as unpaid medical research job , can h1b visa still be valid with unpaid job

Thanks for your reply, another question if you don’t mind my husband’s employers are willing to extend his training program for another few months most likely until the current visa expiry date instead of February 2022 but as unpaid medical research job , can h1b visa still be valid with unpaid job
I don’t know. He should ask his company lawyers to confirm if that is legally allowed.

I don’t know. He should ask his company lawyers to confirm if that is legally allowed.
Agree he needs a proper legal opinion on this. My understanding is that h1b requires a certain minimum wage level.

it may be in your best interests to strategize a plan b of the most efficient way to get your visas in your home country.

Hello, I am DV 2022 winner and currently an f1 student in the USA. my case number is AS1***. I have already submitted the ds-260 form and waiting for the reply from KCC for the submission of other documents. I was also wondering when can I start the process of adjustment of status since I am already in the USA . Should I be waiting on a reply from KCC to start the adjustment of the status process and just go ahead with it?

Hello, I am DV 2022 winner and currently an f1 student in the USA. my case number is AS1***. I have already submitted the ds-260 form and waiting for the reply from KCC for the submission of other documents. I was also wondering when can I start the process of adjustment of status since I am already in the USA . Should I be waiting on a reply from KCC to start the adjustment of the status process and just go ahead with it?
AS1*** is on the low side, it is likely to become current in Oct/Nov. Familiarize yourself with the steps involved by going over the AOS Process Spreadsheet following which you can get start.

Since for the adjustment of status process, it's not required to fill the DS-260 form. I was wondering what is considered as a second letter for the AOS process as they don't use the form DS-260?

Since for the adjustment of status process, it's not required to fill the DS-260 form. I was wondering what is considered as a second letter for the AOS process as they don't use the form DS-260?
Take a look at the "AOS FAQ" tab of the AOS Process Spreadsheet (linked on the first post on page one of this thread).

Hey everyone! Just wondering if anyone has received their 2nd letter yet after submitting the DS-260 to confirm AOS process?

Hey everyone! Just wondering if anyone has received their 2nd letter yet after submitting the DS-260 to confirm AOS process?
Not yet. I've submitted mine on 5/13 but haven't received 2nd letter yet. I haven't follow up with Kentucky because my case# is AS1XXXX. How about you?

Good afternoon, first of all thank you very much for all the information provided, I was about to hire a lawyer but thanks to your advice decided to go ahead and do it all by myself.

My case number is 2022SA7XX and I am currently in the states under an F-1 Visa working under OPT, so I have an EAD Card that will expire 02/2022, however, I can extend it for 2 more years since I was a STEM student.

I am not sure how to go about my EAD card stem extension since the dates are going to overlap on when my DV case comes active and me requesting the OPT extension, any suggestions on that? I emailed USCIS about my situation and they said the following: “If you file the I-485 you would need to file the I-765 based on the pending I-485 not the F-1 Status”. Would this mean that I should file the I-765 with the I-485 that I will submit for my AOS (DV) even though I already have my EAD card? Some guidance on this would really be appreciated since I am confused on how to properly submit this documentation as I want to continue working while my AOS is processed. I am positive that my AOS petition will be approved but would also like to have this backup in case something happens.

Thank you very much

Leo

Good afternoon, first of all thank you very much for all the information provided, I was about to hire a lawyer but thanks to your advice decided to go ahead and do it all by myself.

My case number is 2022SA7XX and I am currently in the states under an F-1 Visa working under OPT, so I have an EAD Card that will expire 02/2022, however, I can extend it for 2 more years since I was a STEM student.

I am not sure how to go about my EAD card stem extension since the dates are going to overlap on when my DV case comes active and me requesting the OPT extension, any suggestions on that? I emailed USCIS about my situation and they said the following: “If you file the I-485 you would need to file the I-765 based on the pending I-485 not the F-1 Status”. Would this mean that I should file the I-765 with the I-485 that I will submit for my AOS (DV) even though I already have my EAD card? Some guidance on this would really be appreciated since I am confused on how to properly submit this documentation as I want to continue working while my AOS is processed. I am positive that my AOS petition will be approved but would also like to have this backup in case something happens.

Thank you very much

Leo
You don’t need to file for an AOS based EAD card. Extend your OPT EAD when you become eligible to do so.

You don’t need to file for an AOS based EAD card. Extend your OPT EAD when you become eligible to do so.
Thank you very for the quick response! So pretty much submit my AOS without the I-765 form, continue working as my AOS gets processed and then when its due time apply for my OPT extension?