DV 2021 AOS Only

Sm1smom

Super Moderator
There’s a section that has to do with selective service which needs to be completed - take a close look at the DS260 to ensure that has been properly attended to. You will not be able to sign and submit the form without completing that section.

hap3158

Update on this, in case it's helpful to others. I visited my Bank of America branch and asked to change the address associated with the cashier's check. The Bank of America employee said "the address is not important, and only for Bank of America internal use. They only use it in rare cases, for example if the check gets lost. In terms of actually cashing the check, only the 'Pay to the order of' name has to match."

She also said that you can see whether the cashier's check was cashed in the BofA app
Hi all, I have another question. Thank you so much for the continued help!

For boring practical reasons, it makes sense for me to pay the $1,225 I-485 filing fee with a cashier's check. I wanted to confirm that I did this the right way:

Address: 12500 Tukwila International Blvd, Tukwila, WA 98168 (the lady at the bank said an address was required, but this address is not listed on the cashier's check itself)
Pay to the order of: U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Remitter (Purchased By): <my name>
Amount: $1,225.00
Additional note: I-485 FEE, A# <my a-number>

Did I miss anything? Will the address be a problem since it corresponds to a local USCIS office?
Thank you for the update. If we can track from BOA app that would be great. One question though, Do we need to provide USCIS address? Isn it have to be our address?

iamastoic

Hi, I’m L1b, EU8400 (in California), was waiting for my homeland embassy (Ukraine) starting to work, but seems they ain’t going to do that. So, I decided to apply for AOS, checked the spreadsheets and timelines, it seems like for some people it took more or about 6 months, so two questions here:

1. is it still enough time (less than 5 months) to apply for it?
2. is there any ways to speed up this process?

I wrote to KCC that I want to switch from CP to AOS yesterday and I’m going to send my first cashier check with $330*number of family members tomorrow and wanted to check with you if it’s has a sense. Thank you!

teitake

I’m sorry I can’t continue to go down this rabbit role, you’ll need to figure out these things on your own. The expectation for anyone processing AOS is to be able to demonstrate they’ve never violated or gone out of status every time they’ve been in the US. Does this IO always asks about this? However, front-loading the application or being prepared to demonstrate this should the issue arise is what the spreadsheet is all about.
The spreadsheet does mention frontloading pertinent documents but does not say anything about the case in which some documents are unattainable. Some of the portions of the spreadsheet are minimalistic in terms of information and I am just trying to clarify based on the situation I am in.
I do, however, appreciate all you do. The expectation about demonstrating not violating the status for all past visits was something not explicitly mentioned on the spreadsheet and something I needed clarification for.

Thank you.

yaw199

Hi all, I have another question here:

1. On I-485, Part 1, 24. What is your current immigration status (if it has changed since your arrival)? If it has not changed, do I just put N/A or do I put my arrival status again?
2. If my bank check doesn't have memo line, can I add one by myself? Will it cause any problem when they cash my check?

I just received my opt approval notice but haven't received my EAD card yet.
3. I found a number that looks like A-number. Since they did not specify what that number is, I am not 100% sure if that is my A-number. Is that ok to put that "maybe A-number" on my I-485?
4. If that number is not my A-number but I put it on my I-485, will that cause any problem?
5. On USCIS website, it said my EAD card was mailed to me so I assume it will arrive next week. I understand that on the spreadsheet, it said copied of EAD card is applicable. If I send my package without it, will I be able to give it to them during interview?
I don’t know either it will hurt or not. However, my concern is why don’t you wait for 3-4 days to receive your EAD card since it has been mailed. I think 5 days difference wouldn’t change anything.

Chuchuaaa

The spreadsheet does mention frontloading pertinent documents but does not say anything about the case in which some documents are unattainable. Some of the portions of the spreadsheet are minimalistic in terms of information and I am just trying to clarify based on the situation I am in.
I do, however, appreciate all you do. The expectation about demonstrating not violating the status for all past visits was something not explicitly mentioned on the spreadsheet and something I needed clarification for.

Thank you.
Just a friendly reminder, if this green card is important to you, then you are in charge of doing some research, which includes reading the instructions of all the forms you are submitting. Reading instructions should not be a problem for you since you have been in the US for 20+ years. The instruction for I-485 lists who may not be eligible to adjust status and what evidence you should include with I-485.

The spreadsheet is not an exhaustive list and it is impossible to include everyone's situation. I'm sure it says "to be creative" to provide as much supporting evidence as you could. If some documents are unattainable I guess you would not need to stress about it too much. If the USCIS has doubt on your status, most likely you will get an RFE rather than a straight denial. If you are unsure about whether you maintain status the whole time, maybe what you need is to consult with an attorney?

Sm1smom

Super Moderator

Thank you.
The spreadsheet is minimalistic as it doesn’t cover every single imaginable scenario, right?

1620115534215.gif

Sm1smom

Super Moderator
Hi, I’m L1b, EU8400 (in California), was waiting for my homeland embassy (Ukraine) starting to work, but seems they ain’t going to do that. So, I decided to apply for AOS, checked the spreadsheets and timelines, it seems like for some people it took more or about 6 months, so two questions here:

1. is it still enough time (less than 5 months) to apply for it?
2. is there any ways to speed up this process?

I wrote to KCC that I want to switch from CP to AOS yesterday and I’m going to send my first cashier check with $330*number of family members tomorrow and wanted to check with you if it’s has a sense. Thank you!
1. In the past, we’ve had numerous cases which became current in September and they successfully completed the process by the end of the FY.
2. DV based AOS cases do get fast-tracked in general.

dapapa

Hi everyone! A couple of o ques before sending the package:
1) Is it right that the DV fee receipt should be included in the main applicant package, no need to include it in the derivative package too? i.e. just one sub-package of the main applicant within a bigger package we'll have a DV receipt.
2) same ques for the Policy memorandum and visa availability page section. Is it right that the policy and visa availability should be included in the main applicant package, no need to include them in the derivative package too?
3) Apart from showing early filing is allowed and encouraged ( from policy memo and visa availability page) should I include evidence that my number is current for June?
Thank you !! :)

parametri

Hello,

I am on J1 status and trying to get J1 waiver for my adjustment of status. My files are have been Department of State for two weeks. Last week they responded to my email and said that the processing time is 12-16 weeks.

Based on my understanding from I 485, it will suffice for me to get a favorable recommendation from Department of State instead of getting the waiver from USCIS, which, I suppose, will take even longer.

My question is, given the long processing time at DOS, can I send my my I 485 and other supporting documents, and take favorable documentation along with me to the interview, as an applicant can do for medical exam.

Thank you so much for your answers and help.

Sm1smom

Super Moderator
Hi everyone! A couple of o ques before sending the package:
1) Is it right that the DV fee receipt should be included in the main applicant package, no need to include it in the derivative package too? i.e. just one sub-package of the main applicant within a bigger package we'll have a DV receipt.
2) same ques for the Policy memorandum and visa availability page section. Is it right that the policy and visa availability should be included in the main applicant package, no need to include them in the derivative package too?
3) Apart from showing early filing is allowed and encouraged ( from policy memo and visa availability page) should I include evidence that my number is current for June?
Thank you !! :)
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Unnecessary IMO

Sm1smom

Super Moderator
Hello,

I am on J1 status and trying to get J1 waiver for my adjustment of status. My files are have been Department of State for two weeks. Last week they responded to my email and said that the processing time is 12-16 weeks.

Based on my understanding from I 485, it will suffice for me to get a favorable recommendation from Department of State instead of getting the waiver from USCIS, which, I suppose, will take even longer.

My question is, given the long processing time at DOS, can I send my my I 485 and other supporting documents, and take favorable documentation along with me to the interview, as an applicant can do for medical exam.

Thank you so much for your answers and help.
The instruction says:
"In addition, if your J status made you subject to the 2-year foreign residence requirement of INA section 212(e), you must submit documentation to show that you complied with the foreign residence requirement, have been granted a waiver of the requirement before filing Form I-485, or were issued a favorable waiver recommendation letter from DOS before filing Form I-485." (Bold and underline emphasis mine)

The above to me means the favorable waiver recommendation letter is required to be submitted with the AOS package.

Khalila

1- When may be the interview waived for AOS applicant ?
2- my AOS and EAD case was filed on March 16, with a receive date Feb 09, when can I start to check my employment authorization card status with USCIS ? in other words from which date should I count the 90 days

SusieQQQ

1- When may be the interview waived for AOS applicant ?
2- my AOS and EAD case was filed on March 16, with a receive date Feb 09, when can I start to check my employment authorization card status with USCIS ? in other words from which date should I count the 90 days

1. Entirely at discretion of officer adjudicating the case
2. what 90 days? Most EADs are not being processed in less than 6 months at present. A page or two back we had a poster saying he had notice of EAD printing, 5.5 months after applying. You can check processing times for i765 for the center that has been assigned your case here https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/ (be sure to look specifically in the results table for the line for EAD for i485, not just the "headline" time range in the big blue block)

Kong58

I don’t know either it will hurt or not. However, my concern is why don’t you wait for 3-4 days to receive your EAD card since it has been mailed. I think 5 days difference wouldn’t change anything.
Thanks for your reply. I did wait for my EAD card arrived and I submitted my package the same date I received my card. I don't know if anyone has the same question as I did but the number beside the column "applicant" is the same as USCIS # on your EAD card so I think that is your A-number.

I received a letter stating that my biometric from a prior asylum case would be used and I do not need to appear for the biometric appointment.
Did such a scenario fast-track the process?

Lychee

Hi,
Currently H1b and got DV2021 with AS200XX
Havea question about my AOS:
I Just submitted my DS-260 yesterday, should I expect any confirmation email from KCC soon based on my number is kind of high?

Sm1smom

Super Moderator
Hi,
Currently H1b and got DV2021 with AS200XX
Havea question about my AOS:
I Just submitted my DS-260 yesterday, should I expect any confirmation email from KCC soon based on my number is kind of high?
I’ll suggest not waiting or focusing on a response from KCC, there’s no guarantee as to when that will come. Start the AOS process by making sure you understand the steps involved and work on those.