• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Hi, I’m L1b, EU8400 (in California), was waiting for my homeland embassy (Ukraine) starting to work, but seems they ain’t going to do that. So, I decided to apply for AOS, checked the spreadsheets and timelines, it seems like for some people it took more or about 6 months, so two questions here:

1. is it still enough time (less than 5 months) to apply for it?
2. is there any ways to speed up this process?

I wrote to KCC that I want to switch from CP to AOS yesterday and I’m going to send my first cashier check with $330*number of family members tomorrow and wanted to check with you if it’s has a sense. Thank you!
1. In the past, we’ve had numerous cases which became current in September and they successfully completed the process by the end of the FY.
2. DV based AOS cases do get fast-tracked in general.

Hi everyone! A couple of o ques before sending the package:
1) Is it right that the DV fee receipt should be included in the main applicant package, no need to include it in the derivative package too? i.e. just one sub-package of the main applicant within a bigger package we'll have a DV receipt.
2) same ques for the Policy memorandum and visa availability page section. Is it right that the policy and visa availability should be included in the main applicant package, no need to include them in the derivative package too?
3) Apart from showing early filing is allowed and encouraged ( from policy memo and visa availability page) should I include evidence that my number is current for June?
Thank you !! :)

Hello,

I am on J1 status and trying to get J1 waiver for my adjustment of status. My files are have been Department of State for two weeks. Last week they responded to my email and said that the processing time is 12-16 weeks.

Based on my understanding from I 485, it will suffice for me to get a favorable recommendation from Department of State instead of getting the waiver from USCIS, which, I suppose, will take even longer.

My question is, given the long processing time at DOS, can I send my my I 485 and other supporting documents, and take favorable documentation along with me to the interview, as an applicant can do for medical exam.

Thank you so much for your answers and help.

Hi everyone! A couple of o ques before sending the package:
1) Is it right that the DV fee receipt should be included in the main applicant package, no need to include it in the derivative package too? i.e. just one sub-package of the main applicant within a bigger package we'll have a DV receipt.
2) same ques for the Policy memorandum and visa availability page section. Is it right that the policy and visa availability should be included in the main applicant package, no need to include them in the derivative package too?
3) Apart from showing early filing is allowed and encouraged ( from policy memo and visa availability page) should I include evidence that my number is current for June?
Thank you !! :)
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Unnecessary IMO

Hello,

I am on J1 status and trying to get J1 waiver for my adjustment of status. My files are have been Department of State for two weeks. Last week they responded to my email and said that the processing time is 12-16 weeks.

Based on my understanding from I 485, it will suffice for me to get a favorable recommendation from Department of State instead of getting the waiver from USCIS, which, I suppose, will take even longer.

My question is, given the long processing time at DOS, can I send my my I 485 and other supporting documents, and take favorable documentation along with me to the interview, as an applicant can do for medical exam.

Thank you so much for your answers and help.
The instruction says:
"In addition, if your J status made you subject to the 2-year foreign residence requirement of INA section 212(e), you must submit documentation to show that you complied with the foreign residence requirement, have been granted a waiver of the requirement before filing Form I-485, or were issued a favorable waiver recommendation letter from DOS before filing Form I-485." (Bold and underline emphasis mine)

The above to me means the favorable waiver recommendation letter is required to be submitted with the AOS package.

1- When may be the interview waived for AOS applicant ?
2- my AOS and EAD case was filed on March 16, with a receive date Feb 09, when can I start to check my employment authorization card status with USCIS ? in other words from which date should I count the 90 days

1- When may be the interview waived for AOS applicant ?
2- my AOS and EAD case was filed on March 16, with a receive date Feb 09, when can I start to check my employment authorization card status with USCIS ? in other words from which date should I count the 90 days

1. Entirely at discretion of officer adjudicating the case
2. what 90 days? Most EADs are not being processed in less than 6 months at present. A page or two back we had a poster saying he had notice of EAD printing, 5.5 months after applying. You can check processing times for i765 for the center that has been assigned your case here https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/ (be sure to look specifically in the results table for the line for EAD for i485, not just the "headline" time range in the big blue block)

I don’t know either it will hurt or not. However, my concern is why don’t you wait for 3-4 days to receive your EAD card since it has been mailed. I think 5 days difference wouldn’t change anything.
Thanks for your reply. I did wait for my EAD card arrived and I submitted my package the same date I received my card. I don't know if anyone has the same question as I did but the number beside the column "applicant" is the same as USCIS # on your EAD card so I think that is your A-number.

I received a letter stating that my biometric from a prior asylum case would be used and I do not need to appear for the biometric appointment.
Did such a scenario fast-track the process?

Hi,
Currently H1b and got DV2021 with AS200XX
Havea question about my AOS:
I Just submitted my DS-260 yesterday, should I expect any confirmation email from KCC soon based on my number is kind of high?

Hi,
Currently H1b and got DV2021 with AS200XX
Havea question about my AOS:
I Just submitted my DS-260 yesterday, should I expect any confirmation email from KCC soon based on my number is kind of high?
I’ll suggest not waiting or focusing on a response from KCC, there’s no guarantee as to when that will come. Start the AOS process by making sure you understand the steps involved and work on those.

Does anyone here have two last names? In my country we do and in some of the instructions I have read I have to use an hyphen but then it adds "if appropriate". In my case my last names do not have a hyphen so would this be considered as not appropriate?

"If you have two last names, include both and use a hyphen (-) between the names, if appropriate."

Thank you for the update. If we can track from BOA app that would be great. One question though, Do we need to provide USCIS address? Isn it have to be our address?

When I was in the Bank of America branch the lady asked for only the address of the recipient (US Department of Homeland Security).

Also, and sorry because I know this was a controversial issue on the past, we are filing out the I134 form and there are things that do not apply to me, for example beneficiary spouse, but it won't let me write "N/A" either. I do not want to mess it up, (1) so what should I do?
Or like, in the address, it is a house so there is no floor or apartment number for question (2) 8b, not sure what to write there either or in (3) 8f and 8g province and postal code.
All help is appreciated because these forms are giving me nightmares trying to do everything right.

Also, and sorry because I know this was a controversial issue on the past, we are filing out the I134 form and there are things that do not apply to me, for example beneficiary spouse, but it won't let me write "N/A" either. I do not want to mess it up, (1) so what should I do?
Or like, in the address, it is a house so there is no floor or apartment number for question (2) 8b, not sure what to write there either or in (3) 8f and 8g province and postal code.
All help is appreciated because these forms are giving me nightmares trying to do everything right.
Have you disabled javascript? If not, search "javascript" and you will find detailed instruction from @Sm1smom . Don't overstress the N/A issue. You could always print it out and fill it in by hand if you feel absolutely need to.

I was planning to share my interview experience after I get approved. However, it looks like I will have to wait for a while to get approval and I am forgetting details, so here I am. This would be a long read!

I am on F1 doing AOS, and my husband is abroad waiting for FTJ. Case number AS5xxx became current in March, but I did early filing at the end of Jan. At the time I-944 was still required, so I included all supporting documents for I-944 in my AOS package, such as W-2s, tax transcripts, 12-month bank statements, equivalent evaluations of all my diplomas, health insurance policy, credit history and credit score, etc. I am unsure if the IO looked at those supporting documents since I-944 was no longer required. However, he had no question about my financial situation during my interview, so I guess that those I-944 supporting documents per se serve as suitable financial supports.

The I-485 receipt notice had a typo in my first name, and that was a USCIS administrative error. Mom said it could be fixed during the interview. I still got in touch with a Tier 2 officer through Emma before I had my interview. Their response was to leave the typo to the IO, as Mom had suggested.

I was waiting for my interview notice after I finished my biometrics appointment. Last Thursday, I got an email from my FO saying that there would be an open slot for an interview on the coming Monday due to cancellation and asking if I would be interested. Of course, I took the available appointment. It was exciting but also a bit stressful given that I had only 4 days to prepare for the interview. I went through the "interview tips" tab in the spreadsheet that Mom put together multiple times and experiences other fellows shared on this forum. I re-printed the whole AOS package, brought all the original (birth certificate, diplomas, marriage certificate, etc.) and prepared additional copies.

On the interview day, I went through security and checked in, waited in the lobby for less than 10 mins and got called. The IO was friendly, and he only asked to see my driver's license, passport, and SSN. He went through all the questions in I-485, including name, DOB, address, parents' names, spouse's name, DOB and marriage date. He asked what visa I had before my F1, my travel history to the US, and the longest stay before F1. He also asked if I had maintained my status the whole time. That was pretty much it. I was surprised that he did not ask for any original document besides my driver's license, passport, and SSN, but that might be FO-specific. I asked him about the typo in my name and he assured me that there would be no typo in my green card. He said he needed to do some final background check, but it should go through no later than the next day (Tue).

Then I asked about how to initiate my husband's FTJ. This was the hard part :( I filled Form I-824 and attempted to submit it to him. He did not accept it, even after consulting with his supervisor over the phone. Their conclusion was to file Form I-824 to the lockbox. I mentioned the average processing time for Form I-824 was like 6-8 months (it was actually way longer than that according to the USCIS website). He said just file it with a cover letter explaining this DV-based I-824 FTJ needs to be expedited. He said even people schedule an infopass that would be the only information he could give. So that was my failed attempt. In the end the IO gave me a notice of interview results, saying that my case is being held for review. And that is also my online case status since the interview.

The next morning (Day 2) I got an email from KCC saying that the size of my case was two but I only paid for one person's DV fee. I wrote back and explained that I was the only person doing AOS and my husband would do FTJ and pay his DV fee at the consulate. I also asked for further guidance on how to initiate FTJ. From other fellows' experiences, I might need to wait for a while for KCC's response. I assume the IO requested a visa number from KCC, which triggered KCC's question about not paying the full DV fee for two people.

This morning (Day 4) I got a phone call from the IO. He told me that KCC asked him why my husband was not adjusting status with me, basically the same question that I got from KCC. He wanted me to provide a written statement explaining our situation (and sign and date), which I dropped at FO before noon today. Hopefully this can clear KCC's concern so that the IO can adjudicate my case soon. For fellow AOSers who will be doing FTJ for dependents: it might not be a bad idea to include a written statement in either the form accompanied your DV fee to KCC and/or in the AOS package so that everyone (USCIS & KCC) is on the same page.

Regarding spouse's FTJ:
We both submitted DS-260 last September, indicating that I would do AOS whereas my spouse would do FTJ. After I received the I-485 receipt notice, I also sent both of our civil documents to KCCDVDocument@state.gov. I did not hear anything back from KCC as expected. After my interview, I contacted my consulate inquiring about the FTJ process. They responded that since my application is still pending with the KCC process, I should contact KCC for further guidance. I did inform and inquire KCC about FTJ when responding to their email. I am also prepared to file I-824 once I get my AOS approval notice if necessary. One question I have is whether there is any additional step that I can take to facilitate the FTJ process.

Lastly, I am so grateful to this forum :) and appreciate all the efforts that @Sm1smom and @SusieQQQ have put in and feedback from other DV2021 fellows. I am almost halfway through this AOS+FTJ journey and will definitely come back to update.
Update:

Today (Day 9) the online status changed to "New Card Is Being Produced". Now it's FTJ time!

Have you disabled javascript? If not, search "javascript" and you will find detailed instruction from @Sm1smom . Don't overstress the N/A issue. You could always print it out and fill it in by hand if you feel absolutely need to.
I did that, yes! Thank you so much. I wrote down N/A on the spouse and children's names, etc. But did not write N/A on my middle name even though I don't have one.
I am still confused about the province and postal code, these forms are definitely something else

Hi there. Quick questions: When adjusting status for the DVL21 (1) my number will be current for June, so when can I send my documents and form?; (2) when should I get my medical for the I-693?