• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2021 AOS Only

Hello Everyone,
I have a question about DV 2021 and an asylum case. I was interviewed for an asylum application (submitted in 2014) in 2017 but never heard a decision. My nonimmigrant status lapsed May 2020 while awaiting the decision. My spouse won the DV 2021 and is submitting AOS. We were hoping, after a brief consultation with lawyers, that we would qualify for a technical exception as the pending decision was/is not in our control. The asylum was submitted on a timely basis and we have never worked unauthorized. BUT since our nonimmigrant status (F1) expired we are currently not in legal status. Will this be a reason for disqualification even when the asylum decision is pending after the interview?

My case number 2021AF12*** became current this month (March 2121) and it was delivered to Chicago loc box on Mar 2nd. Have not yet received an email/text about acceptance.

What did the lawyers say?

Looks like you may be eligible to file for AOS in this case, if the IO assigned to your case is willing to consider your being out of status is as a result of USCIS's inaction on your asylum application - (be prepared to demonstrate this when you do go for your interview). The USCIS Policy Manual seems to support this:

"Technical Violation Resulting from Inaction of USCIS [33]

One example of the phrase “a technical violation resulting from the inaction of USCIS” is where an applicant ceases to have a lawful status because USCIS failed to adjudicate a properly and timely filed request to extend or change nonimmigrant status.

Often an officer can verify a technical violation resulting from USCIS inaction or oversight through review of USCIS systems and the Record of Proceeding. In other instances, an adjustment applicant who claims a technical violation of status based on USCIS’ failure to adjudicate a pending application must prove that:
  • The applicant properly filed an application to extend or change nonimmigrant status prior to the expiration date of his or her nonimmigrant status;
  • The applicant was a bona fide nonimmigrant at the time of filing his or her application to extend or change nonimmigrant status, which includes establishing intent consistent with the terms and conditions of the nonimmigrant status sought;
  • The applicant filed an application to extend or change nonimmigrant status that was meritorious in fact, not frivolous or fraudulent, or otherwise designed to delay removal or departure from the United States;
  • The applicant has not otherwise violated his or her nonimmigrant status;
  • The applicant remained a bona fide nonimmigrant until the time he or she properly filed an adjustment application; and
  • The applicant is not in removal proceedings."

There's only one way to find out the direction in which the wind blows in this case.

One quick question - your "A-number" is the same number as your "USCIS #", located on your previous EAD cards? Or are you allocated an A# when you file AOS?

One quick question - your "A-number" is the same number as your "USCIS #", located on your previous EAD cards? Or are you allocated an A# when you file AOS?

You most likely will be issued with a new A# based on the AOS application. You should however still go ahead and list the USCIS # from the EAD under the A# section of the AOS forms you're submitting.

hi mom,

my case is supposed to have been accepted by USCIS. While I haven't received an official notification yet, a staff via Emma chat helped me get my receipt number. I was just exacerbating last time. I think I need some more patience here.

I have some questions for you:
1. I submitted my package on Feb. 3 but the USCIS case online case status says that my form I-485 was submitted on Mar 4. Is that a normal thing? I hope I am not tracking someone else's case.
2. The online case status also says that a NBC location is working on my case, my impression was that my case would be sent directly to a nearest ASC/FO from Chicago?
3. Given everything goes normal, my next step from here would be to wait for biometrics right?
4. And I was wondering if I could update my timeline? Do I need to have a Gmail account to do that?

Thank you so much for your invaluable information as always.

hi mom,

my case is supposed to have been accepted by USCIS. While I haven't received an official notification yet, a staff via Emma chat helped me get my receipt number. I was just exacerbating last time. I think I need some more patience here.

I have some questions for you:
1. I submitted my package on Feb. 3 but the USCIS case online case status says that my form I-485 was submitted on Mar 4. Is that a normal thing? I hope I am not tracking someone else's case.
2. The online case status also says that a NBC location is working on my case, my impression was that my case would be sent directly to a nearest ASC/FO from Chicago?
3. Given everything goes normal, my next step from here would be to wait for biometrics right?
4. And I was wondering if I could update my timeline? Do I need to have a Gmail account to do that?

Thank you so much for your invaluable information as always.

Glad to know you were able to get some useful information about your case through Emma.

1. Yes that is normal. USCIS does not consider the date your package was delivered (2/3 in this case), package is not considered accepted until after the Chicago Lockbox staff have gone through and processed it (which seems like 3/4 based on what you wrote above) (regardless of the day the package was delivered).
2. Package goes from the Chicago Lockbox to the NBC to the FO - this is discussed on one of the tabs on the AOS process spreadsheet.
3. Yes, unless you have a recent bio in the system from some other application in the past, in which case USCIS will use that previously captured bio for running the background check.
4. Any account will do, not just Gmail.

The only practical difference is that you do not "have" to present x, y and z as evidence, but of course the more you can present for your case the better.
So even if it is not required anymore, is it still recommended to send I944? Or it won't be accepted anymore? I tried to find the answers on the spreadsheet, USCIS, google and forum but this part I am really struggling to understand

So even if it is not required anymore, is it still recommended to send I944? Or it won't be accepted anymore? I tried to find the answers on the spreadsheet, USCIS, google and forum but this part I am really struggling to understand
not i944 but the types of things they ask for can be used as a guide for you. Again, every case is different.

not i944 but the types of things they ask for can be used as a guide for you. Again, every case is different.
Sorry I am asking so many questions. In which part of the package would I include it all? I have to include the school and college stuff and any job offers (I assume I include my teaching assistantship here) and I will take an I134 with me just in case; but will I need to include a credit score report, or copy of my health insurance for example?

I just received the acceptance text on my cell.
1. I can recall doing a 10 finger printings at the time of my f1 visa interview around 5 years back. I don't think that will be reused for biometrics?
2. I have sent a request to update the timeline with pthapausa@ email id.

thanks mom!

Sorry I am asking so many questions. In which part of the package would I include it all? I have to include the school and college stuff and any job offers (I assume I include my teaching assistantship here) and I will take an I134 with me just in case; but will I need to include a credit score report, or copy of my health insurance for example?
You're using the spreadsheet as a guide, correct? Not sure you need to go to that extent of detail.

Hi everyone,
I don’t know if this was answered before, but I’m starting to collect supporting documents for the I-134 form. Is it absolutely necessary that my sponsor *currently* has lots of money in their bank account? Is it enough if I can prove they are at least gaining 150% of poverty guidelines, providing their tax returns, statement from current employer regarding the salary and position, etc. We’re still going to provide bank statements of course, but I was just wondering if the amount of money they’d have plays a huge role on the process.
Thank you so much for all your help!

The truth is, for as long as you keep asking questions about hypothetical situations, you will continue to be confused with the different information you’re coming across. It is as simple as that. You may think you’re being proactive, I think you’re opening yourself up for information overload and are subsequently not able to focus or digest everything you’re coming across. You need to settle on whatever option you consider best to enable you focus on what needs to happen.

My 2cents piece!

I just received the acceptance text on my cell.
1. I can recall doing a 10 finger printings at the time of my f1 visa interview around 5 years back. I don't think that will be reused for biometrics?
2. I have sent a request to update the timeline with pthapausa@ email id.

thanks mom!

1. Not applicable, if that were so, all AOS applicants will be eligible for that. I’m talking about USCIS initiated bio.
2. Access granted.

Hi everyone,
I don’t know if this was answered before, but I’m starting to collect supporting documents for the I-134 form. Is it absolutely necessary that my sponsor *currently* has lots of money in their bank account? Is it enough if I can prove they are at least gaining 150% of poverty guidelines, providing their tax returns, statement from current employer regarding the salary and position, etc. We’re still going to provide bank statements of course, but I was just wondering if the amount of money they’d have plays a huge role on the process.
Thank you so much for all your help!

Greater emphasis is placed on the current income, as against savings.

According to the DHS Statement on Litigation Related to the Public Charge Ground of Inadmissibility, the requirements to include the I-944 with any I-485 filed as of now is still in play:

“Once the previously entered judicial invalidation of the 2019 Rule becomes final..." - meaning the decision is currently not “final”

"DHS and USCIS will provide additional updates regarding the administration of the public charge ground of inadmissibility, including announcing when DHS will cease applying the 2019 Rule." - meaning USCIS’s website will be updated to reflect the change when the I-944 submission is no longer required. Until then, this requirement is to be viewed as business as usual.

According to the DHS Statement on Litigation Related to the Public Charge Ground of Inadmissibility, the requirements to include the I-944 with any I-485 filed as of now is still in play:

“Once the previously entered judicial invalidation of the 2019 Rule becomes final..." - meaning the decision is currently not “final”

"DHS and USCIS will provide additional updates regarding the administration of the public charge ground of inadmissibility, including announcing when DHS will cease applying the 2019 Rule." - meaning USCIS’s website will be updated to reflect the change when the I-944 submission is no longer required. Until then, this requirement is to be viewed as business as usual.
Thanks for the clarification - and apologies for my misleading interpretation earlier.

The truth is, for as long as you keep asking questions about hypothetical situations, you will continue to be confused with the different information you’re coming across. It is as simple as that. You may think you’re being proactive, I think you’re opening yourself up for information overload and are subsequently not able to focus or digest everything you’re coming across. You need to settle on whatever option you consider best to enable you focus on what needs to happen.

My 2cents piece!
Honestly, yes. Absolutely. I wanna be so ready for both scenarios so I won't waste more precious time that I am drowning myself in information. I will hold on until one option becomes more clear, by then there should also be more clarity on I944.
Thank you guys for shedding some light in the meantime

I sent the DV payment fees on Feb 24 but still see that the package in transit. I’m worried that this will delay my application. Still my number is not current AS16500. Which expect will be current on April

Hi everyone! Will I be sending an AOC package in mid-March, do I need to fill out Form I-944 or not? It was not officially canceled, it turns out that you need to fill out?