• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

Hi all,

I've booked my activation trip for October!!! I'm flying into San Francisco and then making my way across to NYC for a bit of an extended holiday, but I was wanting to go to Vancouver for a week to see a friend before I go to NYC. Has anyone had any problems leaving the US and then coming back after a week without their physical Green Card? I know the visa in the passport acts as evidence for up to a year, but I'm unduly concerned that I won't be able to get back in without my physical GC!

You passport will be stamped - so no problem.

I have my activation trip in Hawaii next week! Getting so excited to officially be processed as a resident.. and equally excited to escape winter for a short break!

Same I am doing a very short activation trip and apartment hunting. It will also be my first time driving on the wrong side of the road so that will be interesting.

It’s getting very real now and I’m looking forward to being able to hand in my resignation.

Same I am doing a very short activation trip and apartment hunting. It will also be my first time driving on the wrong side of the road so that will be interesting.

If you haven't done it before, it can be quite disconcerting. I've spent years driving overseas, but if I haven't done it for a while it still takes a few days to adjust.

I was also very worried about it but adapted much quicker than expected. I feel comfortable driving anywhere in Austin now. Probably only really took a couple of days to really get the feel of it.

Speaking of driving, I finally got my licence today! Finally, what a relief. Well, from an official third party company so I need to go to the DMV on monday to hand over the paperwork for the licence but that's the last time. Thank goodness. Little tip for anyone moving to Texas, there is a 30 day stand down so try and get mail (with a date) sent to your address as soon as you can. Then 30 days later you can literally sit the written and practice test on the same day if you go in the morning (do the practice test at the 3rd party companies as the actual DMV has a month backlog, it will mean one more trip to the DMV but it's still better).

Start work on Wednesday so finally some money coming in. So far so good!

I was also very worried about it but adapted much quicker than expected. I feel comfortable driving anywhere in Austin now. Probably only really took a couple of days to really get the feel of it.
Bob do you come from a big city or small? I come from a big town / small city so it will be interesting driving in Las Vegas :oops:

Speaking of driving, I finally got my licence today! Finally, what a relief. Well, from an official third party company so I need to go to the DMV on monday to hand over the paperwork for the licence but that's the last time.
Does that mean you didnt have to go to the DMV at all to do the driving test? I wonder if third party testers are a common thing over there. Would it be possible to get the name of the company you used to see if they are available in my state.
Thank goodness. Little tip for anyone moving to Texas, there is a 30 day stand down so try and get mail (with a date) sent to your address as soon as you can. Then 30 days later you can literally sit the written and practice test on the same day if you go in the morning (do the practice test at the 3rd party companies as the actual DMV has a month backlog, it will mean one more trip to the DMV but it's still better).

Can you book your test online before you have a local address? Say my DMV is backlogged for 6 weeks and I arrive in 1 week could I book an appointment?
Start work on Wednesday so finally some money coming in. So far so good!

Yay congratulations!

Bob did you sign up to ObamaCare? Does the ObamaCare cancel out when your job benefits kick in?

I was born and raised in Auckland, so not sure how you classify how big it is but it's not small. Around 1.7 million I think. Austin is a bit more populated although honestly Auckland feels the larger city, probably because it's more compressed.

Yes that's right. Not sure about other states but Texas outsources it's test to other companies, although you can still choose to do the test at the DMV if you like. Although they themselves suggested to me to use the 3rd party companies. It was the guys below but I think they are local only

https://www.travisdrivingschool.com/dps-road-test

Can you book your test online before you have a local address? Say my DMV is backlogged for 6 weeks and I arrive in 1 week could I book an appointment?

Not in Texas, but perhaps you can in Nevada? I get the impression Texas is one of the more "unfriendly" states to out of country applicants.

Yes I did sign up for ObamaCare and they have sent me a letter asking for more information, but now that I have a job I'm not sure if I should pursue it since I probably won't be within scope anyway.

It’s everything in your file to date - your EdV application, your DS260, any correspondence with KCC, and everything provided to them as documentation (including your medical and, as far as I understand, background check results etc). It will become your A-file once you immigrate and will continue to get added into with all your interaction with USCIS, until you naturalize.

Explains why my file was bursting at the seams, screaming to break out. I sent them so many emails over 6 months they must have been sick of me

Anyone else have a Sydney appointment coming up this month?

End of the month, yup.

Reminds me, need to book hotel and flights for family and I.

Medical in Brisbane yesterday was a little frustrating. Spent 45 mins trying to get one of my daughters to pee in the cup, as requested, (not to mention the ridiculous trip just to get to the toilets!). Lots of tears on her part, only to find out that it wasn't required in the first place! Then dragging the family around to different places for the blood test and x-ray. Family was definitely over the process by the end of the day.

End of the month, yup.

Reminds me, need to book hotel and flights for family and I.

Medical in Brisbane yesterday was a little frustrating. Spent 45 mins trying to get one of my daughters to pee in the cup, as requested, (not to mention the ridiculous trip just to get to the toilets!). Lots of tears on her part, only to find out that it wasn't required in the first place! Then dragging the family around to different places for the blood test and x-ray. Family was definitely over the process by the end of the day.

Did you use the toilets at the Sofitel?
How long did the medical take for a family? It must have been a long day for you guys. Do the kids require blood tests and xrays as well?