• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

You are required to put your current legal name on the certificate, and also provide "other names known as".

Technically, even though you have never "used your married surname", if you were charged with an offence, your legal name, (married name), would be used.

Plus I would assume the name on the certificate would need to match with the name used on your DV Lottery paperwork?

I haven't applied to have my name legally changed to my married name so my name is still my maiden name. The name on the DV Lottery paperwork is under my maiden name because again I have never used my married name.

I hope I have not ruined my chances of getting a visa now because I did not apply under my married name.

I hope I have not ruined my chances of getting a visa now because I did not apply under my married name.
You have all the documents to show all your names, and I'm assuming your passport is in your maiden name. I think you'll be fine if you take all documents with you.

I haven't applied to have my name legally changed to my married name so my name is still my maiden name.

Not trying to cause stress or confusion here...but once you're married, what "application" are you talking about to change your name legally? Are you in Australia?

Not trying to cause stress or confusion here...but once you're married, what "application" are you talking about to change your name legally? Are you in Australia?
Its usually a womans choice to take her husbands name or not after marriage. As Doug is alluding to, there is no "application" to change your name after marriage for most cases. If you've chosen not to take his name and all official documents are in your maiden name, which will also be listed on your marriage certificate you should have no problems

You have all the documents to show all your names, and I'm assuming your passport is in your maiden name. I think you'll be fine if you take all documents with you.
Yes, all of my documents including Passport and Drivers license etc are in my maiden name.

Yes, I'm in North Queensland. I meant that I hadn't applied to change my name on my passport, bank records, drivers license etc.

Its usually a womans choice to take her husbands name or not after marriage. As Doug is alluding to, there is no "application" to change your name after marriage for most cases. If you've chosen not to take his name and all official documents are in your maiden name, which will also be listed on your marriage certificate you should have no problems

Thanks it put my mind at ease.

Yes, I'm in North Queensland. I meant that I hadn't applied to change my name on my passport, bank records, drivers license etc.

Gotcha. As long as both your maiden and married name are on the Police cert application, then I wouldn't be concerned.

Gotcha. As long as both your maiden and married name are on the Police cert application, then I wouldn't be concerned.
Crap on a cracker I didn’t put my married name on my police certificate because I’ve never used it. But for $44 I’ll order another one.

Change of subject: Insurance

I’ve been having a look at the Insurance policies on Simons website and I have to say they are reasonably priced.

How many months are you guys prebuying for health insurance for?

Crap on a cracker I didn’t put my married name on my police certificate because I’ve never used it. But for $44 I’ll order another one.
Why if you have never been known as your married name would you need to put this on your police certificate application?

I didn’t think I would need to, in fact I ordered a police certificate without it but am now thinking that maybe it will be assumed that I should have/would have used it in some capacity.

I didn’t think I would need to, in fact I ordered a police certificate without it but am now thinking that maybe it will be assumed that I should have/would have used it in some capacity.
Each to their own. If it puts your mind to rest maybe order another police certificate with your married name.

Hey dies anybody know is it ok to have the Green Card sent to a Secured PO Box and not where you will be staying?

How long does it take to get the Green Card sent to you and is that from the date of the Interview or from when you enter the US to activate the GC?

I am only going to go for an activation trip and get a re-entry visa. How long should I stay minium in the US before coming back to Aus on tge activation trip? I was going to just go for a couple of weeks to a month.

Hey dies anybody know is it ok to have the Green Card sent to a Secured PO Box and not where you will be staying?

How long does it take to get the Green Card sent to you and is that from the date of the Interview or from when you enter the US to activate the GC?

I am only going to go for an activation trip and get a re-entry visa. How long should I stay minium in the US before coming back to Aus on tge activation trip? I was going to just go for a couple of weeks to a month.

Do you mean a re-entry permit? You’ll need to stay in the US at least until you get your biometrics appointment. That in turn depends on where you will be and what ASC is handling it. Could be a few weeks, there was a stage it was a few months but I think those delays are sorted out.

Green card production is not triggered until you actually enter the US (and assuming you’ve paid the green card fee of course). Seems to be taking around a month at present. As mijoro says, it must be a physical address.

He said a “re-entry visa”. There is no such thing. If he means a re-entry permit, he needs to get biometrics done (yes, again, separate from at the border). That is exactly why I asked for clarification in my earlier post -

Do you mean a re-entry permit? .

If he means something else, then ... I don’t know what it is, I’m not aware of anything else issued by USCIS that is a “re-entry” anything. Obviously you can re-enter on a green card as long as you don’t stay out longer than 12 months,but he seemed to be talking about this other thing in addition to a green card.

Oh I see, yes it makes sense to get biometrics for a re-entry permit.

Tomorrow I am going to drop off my documents to my consulate at their request. I've been dealing with the same lady over email recently, i wonder if she is my case officer. She seems nice so I hope so.

How long should I stay minium in the US before coming back to Aus on tge activation trip? I was going to just go for a couple of weeks to a month.

So permit vs visa aside, I am assuming that for the activation trip only, there is no minimum time required to remain in the US?