• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2019 Oceania Selectees

We got married in Vegas and have the original marriage license so I will just photocopy that and get it sighted by a jp. I’m sure if you ordered one from the states it would be considered as good as the original.
Husband has original, I have a copy which has the official stamp of the county courthouse which I received at the same time. Surely this willl suffice? I could ask him to mail it but wonder if it is necessary.

Husband has original, I have a copy which has the official stamp of the county courthouse which I received at the same time. Surely this willl suffice? I could ask him to mail it but wonder if it is necessary.

KB are you talking about the second submission to you ds260 or to the embassy

Second submission for Ds260? When submitting to KCC? Didn’t need to submit marriage document- wasn’t mentioned to. I meant when interviewed at embassy.

Second submission for Ds260? When submitting to KCC? Didn’t need to submit marriage document- wasn’t mentioned to. I meant when interviewed at embassy.
I'd say its best to be over prepared and have originals of everything possible. I requested new copies of both marriage certificates and divorce decrees as soon as I found out I had been selected - I know I'll need the divorce certificates, not sure about the marriage certs but I'd rather have them and not need them than not have them at all

So I dug through my documentation and it states (for the final interview)

If you are married: Your original marriage certificate and a photocopy.
If you were previously married: Your original divorce or spouse’s death certificate, and a photocopy.

So I would get an original if you don't have one. (even though they have already told me they will accept my certified copy...i think it depends on the consulate... but best to be prepared!)

Original Birth Certificate: is one ordered from births deaths and marriages.

Certified Copy: a photo copy signed by a JP who has sighted both the original and the photocopy.

That is my understanding of original and certified copies of any of the documents.

I think i have my answer

So since I am a dual NZ/UK citizen (even though I was born in NZ) and lived in the UK for approx 6-7 months, I think I do need to supply one because I fall under the first category. My wife and kids do not however as they are not UK nationals.

Yikes, i better get onto it because UK police certs only send physical copies.

Don't penny pinch your way into a delay. If ANY of your family were in the UK for a period of over 6 months, get the police certs. Particularly if you cannot pinpoint the exact entry and exit dates. It might be a waste of a few dollars, but so what.

Yes, indeed. I have ordered a UK police report. Not sure if I need it or not but better safe than sorry.

My kids are under 16. My wife was only in the UK for five months. Do you think I should just get one for her also?

Technically it's not needed for her, but again it depends whether you can prove she was only there 5 months. Then there is the "odd" thing that you may provide one and she doesn't. Personally I would just apply for one anyway.

Will it be an issue if I haven’t put my married surname on my police certificate as I have never used my married surname?

Will it be an issue if I haven’t put my married surname on my police certificate as I have never used my married surname?

If you've never used your married surname, and haven't legally changed it / used your married surname, I don't imagine it would be a problem.

You are required to put your current legal name on the certificate, and also provide "other names known as".

Technically, even though you have never "used your married surname", if you were charged with an offence, your legal name, (married name), would be used.

Plus I would assume the name on the certificate would need to match with the name used on your DV Lottery paperwork?

Technically it's not needed for her, but again it depends whether you can prove she was only there 5 months. Then there is the "odd" thing that you may provide one and she doesn't. Personally I would just apply for one anyway.

Thanks. I think you are right. Better safe than sorry.

To echo myself, better safe than sorry! I would just request it again with your married name under the "also known as" field. I did that for my wife on her NZ police report.

Last edited: